Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, CFM, DBCooper, Lightbringer, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, fandango, United76America, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175 and Enlightened One

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Philosophy degree may soon be worth more than computer science degree

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,276 Times in 27,089 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default Philosophy degree may soon be worth more than computer science degree

My two cents? There are a crap load of STEM majors out in the job market who cannot write well, cannot think creatively, cannot speak lucidly, and are unskilled at rhetoric or logic.

Mark Cuban says studying philosophy may soon be worth more than computer science—here's why

According to billionaire technology entrepreneur Mark Cuban, earning a college degree in computer science might not be the safe investment you think it is.

Today, students who study computer science have a high likelihood of scoring a lucrative job: Glassdoor determined computer science and engineering to be the number one highest-paying major to study in 2017. Meanwhile, students of liberal arts subjects often make far less.

But Cuban, also an investor on ABC's "Shark Tank," expects that to change.

"I'm going to make a prediction," Cuban told AOL in 2017. "In 10 years, a liberal arts degree in philosophy will be worth more than a traditional programming degree." That's because Cuban expects artificial intelligence technology to vastly change the job market, and he anticipates that eventually technology will become so smart it can program itself.

"What is happening now with artificial intelligence is we'll start automating automation," Cuban tells AOL. "Artificial intelligence won't need you or I to do it, it will be able to figure out itself how to automate [tasks] over the next 10 to 15 years.

"Now the hard part isn't whether or not it will change the nature of the work force — it will," he continues. "The question is, over the period of time that it happens, who will be displaced?"

He views previously lucrative jobs in industries like accounting and computer programming as subject to the powers of automation. To remain competitive, Cuban advises ditching degrees that teach specific skills or professions and opting for degrees that teach you to think in a big picture way, like philosophy.

"Knowing how to critically think and assess them from a global perspective, I think, is going to be more valuable than what we see as exciting careers today which might be programming or CPA or those types of things," says Cuban, speaking at SXSW in Austin in 2017.

continued https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/20/mark...r-science.html

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (11-05-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,036 Times in 13,846 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Interesting, but I don't know if I'd agree with him, actually been hearing similar type arguments for decades, better to be a generalist than picking up a designated trade or skill, never seemed to work out that way.

And I would have loved to have been a philosophy major, I attended a Jesuit institution where it and theology were mandatory

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Interesting, but I don't know if I'd agree with him, actually been hearing similar type arguments for decades, better to be a generalist than picking up a designated trade or skill, never seemed to work out that way.

And I would have loved to have been a philosophy major, I attended a Jesuit institution where it and theology were mandatory
    Cheers.

Ideally, I think the truly well-rounded individual needs to have strengths in both technical subject matter, as well as the more traditional liberal arts trades of writing, communication, rhetoric, and logic.

If I get to choose professions in subsequent reincarnations of my life, it will be philosopher, historian, oceanographer, astronomer, archeologist....and rock star!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Cheers.

Ideally, I think the truly well-rounded individual needs to have strengths in both technical subject matter, as well as the more traditional liberal arts trades of writing, communication, rhetoric, and logic.

If I get to choose professions in subsequent reincarnations of my life, it will be philosopher, historian, oceanographer, astronomer, archeologist....and rock star!
    There are very strange and beautiful things in the deep.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

My two cents? There are a crap load of STEM majors out in the job market who cannot write well, cannot think creatively, cannot speak lucidly, and are unskilled at rhetoric or logic.
    Agreed. I want my barista to be well educated.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to anonymoose For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-05-2018)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Agreed. I want my barista to be well educated.
    With big tits........

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    There are very strange and beautiful things in the deep.
    I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau and the Apollo missions, so as a boy it was always going to either astronaut or oceanographer for me. Sadly, I failed on both counts!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Sailor (11-06-2018)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Like who's going to train the AI? If we get to a point where AI is training AI it's going to be very weird times.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (11-06-2018)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

The future is really in recumbinate technology, not technology creating technology on that side of the field, which could open it up more to other majors.

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cheers.

You won't get to. Once you are done failing at this life, that will be it.
    Anonymity is priceless!

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

16. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

My undergrad embryology tests were all essay and points were deducted for spelling and grammar mistakes.

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I grew up watching Jacques Cousteau and the Apollo missions, so as a boy it was always going to either astronaut or oceanographer for me. Sadly, I failed on both counts!
    It is never to late!

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post

It seems to me that garden variety technical work is becoming more automated. With the statistical software packages out there, I don't need a bachelor's degree in math or statistics to do statistical analysis - I just need generalized knowledge of statistics to interpret the results.

But one cannot really succeed at any professional job without good writing and speaking skill combined with a focus on logic, clear thinking, and the rhetorical arts.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,884 Times in 3,024 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 105 Times in 98 Posts

It seems to me that garden variety technical work is becoming more automated. With the statistical software packages out there, I don't need a bachelor's degree in math or statistics to do statistical analysis - I just need generalized knowledge of statistics to interpret the results.

But one cannot really succeed at any professional job without good writing and speaking skill combined with a focus on logic, clear thinking, and the rhetorical arts.
    How does any of that apply to Trump?
    What day is Michaelmas on?
    When is the Mass on Michael?
    AM I ,I AM's,AM I
    I AM,I AM's, AM I