Members banned from this thread: BRUTALITOPS, The Anonymous, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Legion Troll, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, J Craft, MAGA MAN, canceled.2021.3, CFM, DBCooper, chink, RB 60, PraiseKek, TOP, excommunicated, AnnieOakley, Tommatthews, Q-Tip, volsrock, Grugore, Rob Larrikin, BodyDouble, ptif219, fandango, United76America, Into the Night, Tkaffen, gfm7175 and Enlightened One

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ancient Civilizations of North America

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,285 Times in 27,093 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Default Ancient Civilizations of North America

I have been attempting to up my game on knowledge of first peoples of North America

-Who will not be interested in this thread: Trump voters, xenophobes, bigots, anti-immigrants, anti-Semites, and other rightwingers who would consider Native Americans to be savages and Hispanics to be "invaders from the south".

-Who may be interested in this thread: erudite people, non-Trump voters, anyone with a curiosity about North America's first nations.

Ancient Civilizations of North America
    Source credit: Professor Edwin Barnhart, Ph.D. Maya Exploration Center

Arriving in the 15th century and beyond, European explorers came to North America hoping to discover another civilization like those of the Maya or Inca to plunder. Not finding mountains of gold or silver, they saw no value in what they did find: myriad sophisticated cultures with hundreds of vibrant cities, roadways, canals, extensive trade networks, art, religious traditions, and thousands of earthen pyramids.

The people who shaped these civilizations—the engineers, political leaders, mathematicians, and astronomers—were also considered to be of no value, labeled by the Europeans as primitive and backwards, often enslaved or murdered. And because the native peoples left no written language, the narrative continued to be shaped by the conquerors, passed down as truth from generation to generation.

But now—with the technological advances of modern archaeology and a new perspective on world history—we are finally able to piece together their compelling true stories.

Astronomers, Engineers, and Hydrologists
    The peoples of ancient North America were exceptionally knowledgeable about their environment; their lives required it. Professor Barnhart shows you how they used their detailed understanding of flora and fauna, landforms, geology, and water resources when developing strategies for hunting and gathering, locating villages, and farming. But their intellectual and artistic curiosity went much beyond the immediate need for food and safety. Beginning thousands of years ago, and without the benefit of written language, native peoples became skilled mathematicians, metallurgists, jewelers, construction engineers, astronomers, and more.

Ancient Cities to Rival Those of Classical European Antiquity
    Built by a Late Archaic people, Poverty Point is considered by most archaeologists to be the first city in North America. Supporting a population of more than 4,000—40 times the size of an average village at the time—it existed for more than 1,000 years. With Professor Barnhart as your guide, you will understand how Poverty Point has been revealed as a master-planned community, with a 37-acre central plaza; earthen pyramids; and six semi-circular, concentric platform mounds holding hundreds of houses. Carbon-14 dating reveals that the entire set of concentric platform mounds were built in one single phase, requiring extensive leadership, planning, surveying skills, and cooperation from an enormous pool of laborers. Even with its compact organization, every single house had a view of the central plaza—a feat many modern planners would be challenged to accomplish.

Cahokia, built about 1,000 years ago just east of present-day St. Louis, was the largest city in ancient North America north of Mesoamerica. With 3,000 acres and 50,000 people living in its interior and satellite communities, Cahokia dwarfed the contemporaneous populations of London, Paris, and Rome. At one point in its history, the ancient city was razed and replaced with a master-planned version more than three times its previous size. Although many of Cahokia’s features, such as large mounds, ritual spaces, and communal farming, had been seen elsewhere, its scale and level of social organization were unprecedented.

The Legacy of the Iroquois: North American Democracy
    At the time of European contact, the Iroquois were a semi-sedentary farming people near Lakes Erie and Ontario whose villages were often in fierce conflict with each other. When three visionary leaders recognized that such continual warfare was holding the nation back, they proposed a tribal confederation known as The Great League of Peace. The League’s Great Council consisted of 50 chiefs, or sachem, each of whom was elected to represent a specific clan by the clan’s female elders. These women voted their representatives in—and could also vote them out. The Great Council settled all disputes and conflicts through dialog, debate, and consensus, guided by the 117 articles of confederation known as the “Great Law of Peace.”

Not only did the Iroquois establish the first North American democracy, but the framers of the U.S. Constitution held the system in the highest regard. Two hundred years after establishing its own Constitution, the United States formally acknowledged this Iroquois legacy in Congressional Resolution 331, stating the “confederation of the original Thirteen Colonies into one republic was influenced by the political system developed by the Iroquois Confederacy as were many of the democratic principles which were incorporated into the Constitution itself.”

https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Civil.../dp/B07DX73HVN

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (11-13-2018), Guno צְבִי (11-05-2018), JqYaqui (11-08-2018), kudzu (11-05-2018), Phantasmal (11-13-2018), signalmankenneth (11-13-2018), TrippyHippy (11-11-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Why do you think Trump voters wouldn't be interested in this? I'm pretty sure I've studied this much longer than you have.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

Truth Detector (11-14-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,544 Times in 14,029 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ProggyStyle View Post
    Why do you think Trump voters wouldn't be interested in this? I'm pretty sure I've studied this much longer than you have.
    because trump voters are uneducated trash

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

evince (11-13-2018), kudzu (11-05-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    because trump voters are uneducated trash

Oh, alright. Bring it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

9. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I leave it to you to discover for yourself the tens of thousands of post from rightwingers on this forum denigrating, dehumanizing, and holding in utter contempt the cultures of Africa, Latin America, and indigenous peoples of North America.

Not buying that you are the consummate student and researcher of ancient North American civilizations. Lying, trolling, and unwarranted braggadocio earns you a one way ticket to permanent thread ban.

10. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I leave it to you to discover for yourself the tens of thousands of post from rightwingers on this forum denigrating, dehumanizing, and holding in utter contempt the cultures of Africa, Latin America, and indigenous peoples of North America.

Not buying that you are the consummate student and researcher of ancient North American civilizations. Lying, trolling, and unwarranted braggadocio earns you a one way ticket to permanent thread ban.
    I'm not those dudes, I'm me. I voted for Trump.

Let's talk about the diversion of the Mississippi River. You can do this...right?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

12. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I watched a lecture on Cahokia, and I admit it was pretty eye opening for me.
    I really generally thought of the indigenous people of North America as primarily nomadic. I certainly did not know that ancient North American civilizations were building large, planned cities using relatively sophisticated concepts of engineering, geometry, math, and astronomy.

Its too bad Trump supporters think of most non-white cultures as "savages", "invaders from the south", or "shit hole countries". I believe there is a crap load of interesting stuff to learn about the cultural history of other cultures. At least for the intellectually curious (aka, rules out Trumptards).

Lost cities of the world #8: The mystery of Cahokia – why did North America's largest city vanish?

Long before Columbus reached the Americas, Cahokia was the biggest, most cosmopolitan city north of Mexico. Yet by 1350 it had been deserted by its native inhabitants the Mississippians – and no one is sure why

In its prime, about four centuries before Columbus stumbled on to the western hemisphere, Cahokia was a prosperous pre-American city with a population similar to London’s.

Located in southern Illinois, eight miles from present-day St Louis, it was probably the largest North American city north of Mexico at that time. It had been built by the Mississippians, a group of Native Americans who occupied much of the present-day south-eastern United States, from the Mississippi river to the shores of the Atlantic.

Cahokia was a sophisticated and cosmopolitan city for its time. Yet its history is virtually unknown by most Americans and present-day Illinoisans. It is one of many stories that have been bypassed in favour of the shopworn narrative – reinforced in literature and a century of American cinema – of Native Americans as backward and primitive.

“A lot of the world is still relating in terms of cowboys and Indians, and feathers and teepees,” says Thomas Emerson, professor of anthropology at the University of Illinois. “But in AD1000, from the beginning, [a city is] laid on a specific plan. It doesn’t grow into a plan, it starts as a plan. And they created the most massive earthen mound in North America. Where does that come from?”

continued
    https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ericans-vanish

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

evince (11-13-2018)

14. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have been attempting to up my game on knowledge of first peoples of North America

-Who will not be interested in this thread: Trump voters, xenophobes, bigots, anti-immigrants, anti-Semites, and other rightwingers who would consider Native Americans to be savages and Hispanics to be "invaders from the south".

-Who may be interested in this thread: erudite people, non-Trump voters, anyone with a curiosity about North America's first nations.
    While the euros were still dumping chamber pots out the windows on each other's heads below in their putrid ghettos.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

TrippyHippy (11-11-2018)

16. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I watched a lecture on Cahokia, and I admit it was pretty eye opening for me.
    I really generally thought of the indigenous people of North America as primarily nomadic. I certainly did not know that ancient North American civilizations were building large, planned cities using relatively sophisticated concepts of engineering, geometry, math, and astronomy.

Its too bad Trump supporters think of most non-white cultures as "savages", "invaders from the south", or "shit hole countries". I believe there is a crap load of interesting stuff to learn about the cultural history of other cultures. At least for the intellectually curious (aka, rules out Trumptards).
    Ya can still go see the mounds.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

Cypress (11-11-2018), evince (11-13-2018)

18. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I'm not those dudes, I'm me. I voted for Trump.

Let's talk about the diversion of the Mississippi River. You can do this...right?
    Can you talk about how that's related to the thread?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

evince (11-13-2018)

20. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Genesis 3 :24 =Holy Toledo
    Adam and Eve were the first Americans.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

21. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Happy View Post
    Genesis 3 :24 =Holy Toledo
    Adam and Eve were the first Americans.
    America was a garden of Eden till the euros showed up.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

iolo (11-14-2018)

23. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,601 Times in 9,273 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    America was a garden of Eden till the euros showed up.
    The descendents of Adam went to Africa.The descendants of Eve went to Europe,the descendants of Cain went to Asia.
    The descendents of Seth stayed here.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

24. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Too pooped to pop.. a must read for later. Thanks.

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,657 Times in 4,437 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

There were recently some amazing pictures of Mayan cities. Archaeologists thought it was a series of separate villages, but some type of photography revealed structures in the jungles they had not seen before that revealed it was not separate villages but one large city.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Cypress (11-12-2018)