Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    I am shameless and ignorant, and I love every minute of it

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,786 Times in 4,529 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 188 Times in 184 Posts

Obviously, since slaves could not vote and neither could many of the people vote due to requirements, the constitution did not push one man one vote. However is that a principle the US was supposed to be founded on. When blacks were permitted to vote, that was the argument. The Supreme Court has used "one man ,one vote" as a reason for decisions several times.The Supremes apparently see it as a founding principle.
    There was no "one man, one vote" in the U. S. Senate or in the electoral college, so I'm not sure it was a founding principle. The House was not required to elect members by districts or have an equal number of voters.

I think most of those Supreme Court cases in the 1960's based the "one man one vote" on the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment which was not part of the founding principles; and, most of the decisions applied to state actions (since the 14th limited states). They also may have used the Article 4 requirement to guarantee a republican form of government to all the states. I haven't looked at that stuff in a few years.

Someone will call us sexist for the one "man" thing.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    odd the demmycrats didn't actually let their slaves vote.....
    But they want them to vote now; but only if they vote for a "D".

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,861 Times in 17,284 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,603 Times in 4,280 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    But they want them to vote now; but only if they vote for a "D".

Damn that was stupid. Blacks can vote for anyone they want. Some of them are as stupid as many rightys and voted for Trump. Oh, they are not slaves. That ended with the Emancipation Proclamation. Is there any thinking before you post?

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Damn that was stupid. Blacks can vote for anyone they want. Some of them are as stupid as many rightys and voted for Trump. Oh, they are not slaves. That ended with the Emancipation Proclamation. Is there any thinking before you post?
    But YOU want them to vote now; but only if they vote for a "D".

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

The electoral college was about the ability to count slaves in determining how many seats they would get. That is to placate slave states, who had much larger populations, but far fewer eligible voters, Slaves were not permitted to vote. But slave states wanted to count slaves in rewarding the number of seats each state would get in congress. The 3/th compromise allowed them to count 3 for every 5 slaves, but only in seats. Slaves could not vote. So that made every vote in a slave state worth more than a vote in another state. That is fundmentally uncostitutional. The electoral college should not have been allowed.
    Someone was banned yesterday for being stupid. I didn't know that was a bannable offense but it apparently is so you need to watch your ass.

You really should at least do a basic Google search before posting if you're not sure about something.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    If it were the liberals who were benefiting from the composition of the Electoral College...

...all the assholes on the right would be arguing to end it.

Their Dear Leader thinks the Electoral College favors the Democrats.

Why not change the Electoral College?

I wonder how many conservative...or Republican votes that would get?
    Frankie, I will let you in on a little secret.

Ready?

You sure?

Really sure?

every liberal ever elected President has BENEFITTED from the electoral college.

True story bro

8. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-21-2018)

9. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,254 Times in 7,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    It's supposed to be.
    No...it is not supposed to be.

It was forced on the founding fathers in order to create the Union.

I am sure most of the people who approved it...were sickened by it. But the objective was to form the Union...and it had to be done.

Anyone who still sees it as reasonable...is a fucking moron.

But, as I said...it will not be changed. It favors the morons.

10. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Frankie, I will let you in on a little secret.

Ready?

You sure?

Really sure?

every liberal ever elected President has BENEFITTED from the electoral college.

True story bro
    Horse shit.

Every liberal ever elected President...was elected IN SPITE OF the huge advantage the Electoral College gives to conservatives...by giving so much extra weight to the votes of small population states. Every liberal ever elected President...was elected IN SPITE OF the huge disadvantage he worked against by the Electoral College.

THAT IS THE TRUTH, BRO!

Shit-can the drama when you are as wrong as you are here. Makes you look like an idiot.

11. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No...it is not supposed to be.

It was forced on the founding fathers in order to create the Union.

I am sure most of the people who approved it...were sickened by it. But the objective was to form the Union...and it had to be done.

Anyone who still sees it as reasonable...is a fucking moron.

But, as I said...it will not be changed. It favors the morons.
    They didn't have to do it. It's not only reasonable I think it's necessary and if you think it favors the GOP now then you'd better pray the states don't switch from winner-take-all to district based.

Even if the Founders hadn't established the Electoral College there still wouldn't be a popular vote for President because they didn't trust the people to vote wisely for President.

12. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They didn't have to do it. It's not only reasonable I think it's necessary and if you think it favors the GOP now then you'd better pray the states don't switch from winner-take-all to district based.

Even if the Founders hadn't established the Electoral College there still wouldn't be a popular vote for President because they didn't trust the people to vote wisely for President.
    I am not asking for a popular vote for president...AND NEVER HAVE, Guille.

I am not even calling for the abolition of the Electoral College.

I AM calling for reform of it...although I also acknowledge that it ALMOST CERTAINLY will NEVER happen.

The inclusion of senators numbers in the Electoral College should be eliminated. Using the Representative numbers will still skew slightly toward small population states...but not nearly as markedly.

13. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am not asking for a popular vote for president...AND NEVER HAVE, Guille.

I am not even calling for the abolition of the Electoral College.

I AM calling for reform of it...although I also acknowledge that it ALMOST CERTAINLY will NEVER happen.

The inclusion of senators numbers in the Electoral College should be eliminated. Using the Representative numbers will still skew slightly toward small population states...but not nearly as markedly.
    You are doing a fine job of demonstrating exactly why the Founders didn't want the people to elect the President. The point isn't whether or not you like the EC or think it should be "reformed", you clearly believe that without the compromise leading to the EC we would have defaulted to a direct popular election and you are, as usual, wrong. It is far more likely Congress would have elected or appointed the President and the people would have had zero say in the matter.

You called the EC an abomination against one man-one vote...don't now try to claim you don't want a direct popular election.

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are doing a fine job of demonstrating exactly why the Founders didn't want the people to elect the President. The point isn't whether or not you like the EC or think it should be "reformed", you clearly believe that without the compromise leading to the EC we would have defaulted to a direct popular election and you are, as usual, wrong. It is far more likely Congress would have elected or appointed the President and the people would have had zero say in the matter.

You called the EC an abomination against one man-one vote...don't now try to claim you don't want a direct popular election.
    It really is difficult discussing matters this complex with a fucking moron like you, Guille.

I have never called for the abolition of the Electoral College.

I have called for reform.

I am not asking for direct popular election.

I am interested in preventing the intense skewing that the EC presents.

And I am fucking tired of talking to people like you who try to build strawmen...although I will continue to do so, because fucking morons like you are a danger to our nation and to humanity...so I have to.

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It really is difficult discussing matters this complex with a fucking moron like you, Guille.

I have never called for the abolition of the Electoral College.

I have called for reform.

I am not asking for direct popular election.

I am interested in preventing the intense skewing that the EC presents.

And I am fucking tired of talking to people like you who try to build strawmen...although I will continue to do so, because fucking morons like you are a danger to our nation and to humanity...so I have to.
    There you go again.

You call the EC an abomination against one man-one vote. I quote you and highlight that specific sentence. You then give a bunch of shit that has nothing to do with the sentence I highlighted. I attempt to get you back on track and once again you throw shit out there that has nothing to do with the highlighted sentence.

I didn't accuse you of wanting to get rid of the EC.
    You are not interested in changing the "skewing", you're just interested in skewing it in a way you think might benefit those you agree with.
    You may not be demanding direct elections for President but you are without a doubt lamenting the fact we don't have them. Refer back to the sentence I highlighted.

You keep putting forth arguments on behalf of other people that were not made by those people and then arguing against those arguments instead of dealing with what other people actually post. If you think those arguments are idiotic then who do you have to blame for that Frank? You.

I'm tired too. I'm tired of talking to people, online and IRL, who think they can talk about an issue because they read an article about it on HuffPo.

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Horse shit.

Every liberal ever elected President...was elected IN SPITE OF the huge advantage the Electoral College gives to conservatives...by giving so much extra weight to the votes of small population states. Every liberal ever elected President...was elected IN SPITE OF the huge disadvantage he worked against by the Electoral College.

THAT IS THE TRUTH, BRO!

Shit-can the drama when you are as wrong as you are here. Makes you look like an idiot.

Look bro, democrats play under the same rules as the republicans do

The Electoral College was put in place precisely to keep small states from being steam rolled by larger states and thank God the Founders had the forethought to do so. Here is a thought, instead of hating on the game, maybe your party should ask it self why it doesn't appeal to some of these smaller states?

And it isn't like democrats don't benefit from small states who are blue

Rhode Island?
    Delaware?
    New Hampshire?
    Vermont?

Spare me your faux indignation. Your side only complains about the Electoral College when you lose. Stop losing