Thread: Kanye's Real Success - Trump Nows Backs Prison Reform

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

Lightbulb Kanye's Real Success - Trump Nows Backs Prison Reform

"Kanye West’s literal embrace of President Trump was all over the news last week. The president’s rhetorical embrace of criminal justice reform got considerably less attention, but may prove more consequential.

In an interview with Fox News on the morning of his meeting with the rap impresario, Trump signaled that he was ready to go beyond “back-end” reform, which focuses on rehabilitation of inmates, and support “front-end” reform, which focuses on reducing sentences and sending fewer people to prison.

The key to understanding Trump’s remarks is Alice Marie Johnson, whose sentence the president commuted in June at the behest of West’s wife, Kim Kardashian.

Johnson, a first-time nonviolent offender who received a life sentence in 1996 for participating in a Memphis cocaine-trafficking organization, has described herself as “a telephone mule, passing messages between the distributors and sellers.” While serving nearly 22 years in federal prison, she became a grandmother and great-grandmother, an ordained minister and a mentor to other inmates.

Although it took the intercession of a fellow reality TV star for Trump to free Johnson, he clearly was impressed by her story. More important, he recognizes that Johnson, whom he calls “the most incredible woman,” is not unique in receiving an absurdly disproportionate sentence for a nonviolent crime.

“You have many people like Mrs. Johnson,” Trump said on Fox News. “There are people in jail for really long terms.”

Notably, Trump did not say the solution is more commutations, although those would certainly be welcome. “There has to be a reform, because it’s very unfair right now,” he said. “It’s very unfair to African-Americans. It’s very unfair to everybody.”

Trump had high praise for criminal justice reforms in Texas and Georgia, which in recent years have seen falling crime rates even as they reduced their prison populations. “They really have done a tremendous job with reform,” he said.

These comments, which may seem surprising from a man who has consciously cultivated a tough-on-crime image, reflect the influence of people Trump respects, people like his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, a supporter of the conservative reform organization Right on Crime. And yes, people like Kanye West and Kim Kardashian.

That influence could be crucial in the ongoing debate about federal sentencing reform. Last May, the House overwhelmingly approved the FIRST STEP Act, a collection of modest prison reforms aimed at reducing recidivism and promoting reintegration. The bill is on hold in the Senate, where Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) is demanding that it include sentencing reforms as well.

The latest proposal would incorporate into the FIRST STEP Act four elements of Grassley’s Sentencing Reform and Corrections Act.

The amendments would widen the “safety valve” that lets some drug offenders escape mandatory minimum sentences, narrow the criteria for mandatory minimums that apply to repeat drug offenders, clarify that escalating sentences for drug offenders who have guns require prior convictions and retroactively apply the shorter crack-cocaine sentences that Congress approved in 2010.

If Trump backs the changes Grassley wants, an amended bill could be approved by the lame-duck Congress after the election. “I believe the president was sincere,” said Jason Pye, the vice president of legislative affairs at FreedomWorks, which supports sentencing reform.

“I was skeptical when the White House began dabbling in this more than a year ago. But the White House has been fully engaged on this.”

People do change their minds about these issues: Not long ago, Grassley himself was an ardent opponent of sentencing reform. In Trump’s case, the evolutionary pressure may come from people he disdains as well as people he admires.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions is no fan of sentencing reform, which may count in its favor, as far as Trump is concerned.

If Sessions does not get on board with “prison reform,” Trump said on Fox News, “then he gets overruled by me, because I make the decision.”
    Y'all got mad when Kanye met with Trump. But did MLK not meet with LBJ?? Good on Kanye for keeping the dialogue open in this hyper-partisan, toxic political environment and actually making REAL CHANGE in the process instead of just bitching and whining. And though I'm no Trump fan good on Trump as well if he keeps this up! Criminal justice reform is one of the most important issues to me, and I'll give credit where credit is due.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/17/kanyes...ustice-reform/
    Last edited by TrippyHippy; 10-19-2018 at 07:43 PM.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrippyHippy For This Post:

anatta (10-20-2018), Stretch (10-19-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,567 Times in 17,094 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Kanye is a nut. He did not offer programs of anything of value. Just meaningless words. We all saw his Whitehouse antics. You thinkTrump derived policy from that?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

blackascoal (10-20-2018), kudzu (10-20-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Kanye is a nut. He did not offer programs of anything of value. Just meaningless words. We all saw his Whitehouse antics. You thinkTrump derived policy from that?
    Kanye may be crazy but if he does actually get Trump to do something on prisons you would really be against it because of the actors. That's sad.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

anatta (10-20-2018), TrippyHippy (10-19-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    He's not great at articulating himself, but he actually makes alot of sense if you look below the surface and really try to understand what he's getting at instead of writing him off.
    “I was not born to be forced. I will breathe after my own fashion. Let us see who is the strongest.” - Henry David Thoreau

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Kanye may be crazy but if he does actually get Trump to do something on prisons you would really be against it because of the actors. That's sad.
    You aren’t any different

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    You aren’t any different
    Really? Please do tell

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Really? Please do tell
    You don’t know?

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

Fuck off and die ....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Loving91390 For This Post:

Rune (10-20-2018)

13. #9 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TrippyHippy View Post
    Y'all got mad when Kanye met with Trump. But did MLK not meet with LBJ?? Good on Kanye for keeping the dialogue open in this hyper-partisan, toxic political environment and actually making REAL CHANGE in the process instead of just bitching and whining. And though I'm no Trump fan good on Trump as well if he keeps this up! Criminal justice reform is one of the most important issues to me, and I'll give credit where credit is due.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/17/kanyes...ustice-reform/
    I agree, but isn't it the leftists who keep screaming that Trump is racist? How dare he listen to a black rapper...
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

14. The Following User Groans At RB 60 For This Awful Post:

Rune (10-20-2018)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Politically, it is the democrats' fault this situation even exists. The US took forever to bury heavy-handed mandatory sentencing and Tip O'Neil almost unilaterally brought it back to life as a political stunt in an election year to prove he was tough on crime after Len Bias' drug-induced death. For as much as the dems gnash teeth about evil republicans victimizing the poor and blacks, their digging this thing up has done far more damage to the poor and black communities than the GOP could ever dream of doing.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,833 Times in 8,248 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,899 Times in 5,299 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    I agree, but isn't it the leftists who keep screaming that Trump is racist? How dare he listen to a black rapper...
    Kanye West doesn't mean shit to me one way or the other but good is good and credit where credit is due.
    It is the responsibility of every American citizen to own a modern military rifle.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    Trump is no racist.

I think even his detractors know it. Not only is prison reform long over due but it’s a good political move as well—it should get bipartisan support.

What’s odd is it’s always been there for the taking.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Prison reform isn't really Trump's issue .. it's his son-in-law, Jared Kushner.

And, while everybody is singing happy days about Trump and Kanye's 'influence' on prison reform ...

DOJ praises Trump’s choice not to endorse prison reform bill

The Justice Department on Thursday praised President Donald Trump’s decision not to back a prison and sentencing reform bill that was crafted by top Republican leaders and Jared Kushner, his son-in-law and senior adviser.

“We’re pleased the president agreed that we shouldn’t support criminal justice reform that would reduce sentences, put drug traffickers back on our streets, and undermine our law enforcement officers who are working night and day to reduce violent crime and drug trafficking in the middle of an opioid crisis,” Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said in a statement.

Trump met with Kushner, who has made prison reform a priority; Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley at the White House on Thursday to discuss the bill. The president declined to endorse the bill, citing the midterm elections, Axios reported.

The bill drew backlash from Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), who called the proposal a “jailbreak” that would “let serious felons back on the streets.” Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) on Thursday said that construcive conversations are currently being had with White House about the legislation, "but nothing is final yet."

"With Republicans in the majority, any agreement must be endorsed by the President and include a commitment from Republican leaders to move it through Congress and get it to the President’s desk,” Durbin said.

Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas) said on Wednesday that the Senate wouldn’t take up any new package of prison and sentencing reforms before the midterms.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...artment-794871

Kanye's real success is getting you dumb ass republicans hope that African-Americans would vote for your racist candidates and party.

That is not going to happen EVER.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Omar View Post
    Trump is no racist.

I think even his detractors know it. Not only is prison reform long over due but it’s a good political move as well—it should get bipartisan support.

What’s odd is it’s always been there for the taking.
    Trump is a racist and everybody knows it .. including you.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackascoal View Post
    Trump is a racist and everybody knows it .. including you.

You are more a racist than Trump is .....