Members banned from this thread: evince, Truth Detector, CFM, Lightbringer and reagansghost

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the high school letterman's jacket a sign of the patriarchy?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,386 Times in 14,102 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Default Is the high school letterman's jacket a sign of the patriarchy?

I've read the SF Chronicle since I was a kid. This is what it's been reduced to. Finding the lowest denominator of where we can be outraged.

Is the high school letterman's jacket a sign of the patriarchy?

A perspective on the teenage rites of passage donning one's letterman's jacket

Has the American teenager's once ubiquitous cloak of status and personal achievement been relegated to the Goodwill rack of history?

The letterman's jacket has been the uniform of American boys-turning-into-men, simultaneously a rites of passage and a way to literally wear one's achievements on your sleeve for decades.

But, this month, that garment became a symbol of the patriarchy — an insult to decades of social progress.

Watching "American Housewife," from October 3rd, Katie Otto (Katy Mixon) viciously tears into Taylor (Meg Donnelly) for wearing her boyfriend's letterman jacket.

"You take off that jacket and give it back to Trip," Katie said.

"Not you.... You are your own person," Katie replied. "Take it off. ... Your whole life cannot be about some boy."

For Kate, the jacket symbolized submissive dependence on domineering men.

For me, becoming a teen in the late 80s, the letterman's jacket indicated achievement and societal acceptance.

On Friday nights, impressionable freshmen watched roving hordes of massive 18-year-old senior "men" stride out after the football game, muscles straining against their now-too-small jackets, glistening with bars and pins and layers of letters indicating their prowess in football, basketball, and track. They were the idols to emulate.

And, when the captain of the cheerleading squad wore her boyfriend's jacket?

The epitome of high school royalty.

Even scrawny, geeky kids like me who spent more time writing for the school newspaper than being outdoors could earn one. I went out for cross country because it was the quickest way to letter your freshman year. I didn't letter that fall, but I did letter in track-and-field that spring and went on to the varsity team.

When my jacket arrived? I was no longer the nerd, the outcast, the new kid. I was one of them. The day I got my jacket — the letter "G" proudly sewn on the left chest — was more monumental than when I got my driver's license, or got accepted into college. I mean, let's be honest. Everyone expected me to get into college. They didn't know if I'd ever actually "letter" in a sport.

I failed to see at the time that I was buying in to the same hyper-masculine culture. I didn't realize that a girl wearing a guy's jacket was more than the chivalrous act of keeping her warm. My myopic mind just saw it as fitting in.

Today, as I beg my 14-year-old son to please go to his high school's homecoming game, I realize how different society has become, at least in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have not seen a single letterman's jacket at his East Bay school.

Perhaps today, we need a letterman's jacket for academics? Big, varsity letters for AP English, or straight A's? Many schools have been awarding letters for the yearbook team or the school paper and other non-sporting events. Some, I found, award letters and subsequent pins for a 3.0 GPA.

And perhaps the very term — letterMAN — is an embarrassment to our egalitarian ethos. LetterPERSON? LetterKID? LetterTEEN? Maybe just Letter Jacket. Searching online, that term does show up more now.

And the letter jackets are being worn by both women and men, as a way to show school spirit, in addition to touting one's teenage resume. It just doesn't seem to be the sartorial rites of passage anymore, at least not in the Bay Area.

Maybe that jacket's time has indeed come and gone. Maybe this is an obituary for the letterman's jacket. But just like the protagonists from some John Hughes movie, to 16-year-old me, there was still nothing cooler than walking into a room with your friends, and your girl is wearing your letterman's jacket. Looking back, though, my enlightened girlfriend never showed any interest in wearing my jacket. She was far more progressive than I.

While it may be — and may have always been — a symbol of the patriarchy, it just felt like belonging.

Belonging to a group, and belonging to a part of Americana.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating athletic accomplishment, but I do look back now at that idealized "letterman jacket" culture I aspired to join and realize it was not always aligned with my ideals of celebrating intellect, woman's sports, individualism, and self-expression. Having a girl wearing your jacket seemed so essential then but now seems so anachronistic.

My jacket is still hanging in my attic, sealed in a garment bag in case I ever go back to my alma mater for some 30-year reunion, where I can put it back on and show that I too achieved some modicum of athletic achievement.

But will my son ever wear a letter jacket? Not likely.

Will my daughters? Maybe, but I doubt they'd ever let their boyfriend wear it.

Should anyone? Celebrating achievement and showing school spirit? Yes.

Each school and peer group and subculture will decide if the representation of all those ideals can evolve into a modern societal meme or if it is time to discard the old one and its baggage for something new.

Maybe laptop stickers showing your accomplishments.

They just won't keep you or your partner warm on a foggy fall evening watching the homecoming game.

https://www.sfgate.com/opinion/artic...w-13320883.php

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    I've read the SF Chronicle since I was a kid. This is what it's been reduced to. Finding the lowest denominator of where we can be outraged.

Has the American teenager's once ubiquitous cloak of status and personal achievement been relegated to the Goodwill rack of history?

The letterman's jacket has been the uniform of American boys-turning-into-men, simultaneously a rites of passage and a way to literally wear one's achievements on your sleeve for decades.

But, this month, that garment became a symbol of the patriarchy — an insult to decades of social progress.

Watching "American Housewife," from October 3rd, Katie Otto (Katy Mixon) viciously tears into Taylor (Meg Donnelly) for wearing her boyfriend's letterman jacket.

"Not you.... You are your own person," Katie replied. "Take it off. ... Your whole life cannot be about some boy."

For me, becoming a teen in the late 80s, the letterman's jacket indicated achievement and societal acceptance.

On Friday nights, impressionable freshmen watched roving hordes of massive 18-year-old senior "men" stride out after the football game, muscles straining against their now-too-small jackets, glistening with bars and pins and layers of letters indicating their prowess in football, basketball, and track. They were the idols to emulate.

Even scrawny, geeky kids like me who spent more time writing for the school newspaper than being outdoors could earn one. I went out for cross country because it was the quickest way to letter your freshman year. I didn't letter that fall, but I did letter in track-and-field that spring and went on to the varsity team.

When my jacket arrived? I was no longer the nerd, the outcast, the new kid. I was one of them. The day I got my jacket — the letter "G" proudly sewn on the left chest — was more monumental than when I got my driver's license, or got accepted into college. I mean, let's be honest. Everyone expected me to get into college. They didn't know if I'd ever actually "letter" in a sport.

I failed to see at the time that I was buying in to the same hyper-masculine culture. I didn't realize that a girl wearing a guy's jacket was more than the chivalrous act of keeping her warm. My myopic mind just saw it as fitting in.

Today, as I beg my 14-year-old son to please go to his high school's homecoming game, I realize how different society has become, at least in the San Francisco Bay Area. I have not seen a single letterman's jacket at his East Bay school.

Perhaps today, we need a letterman's jacket for academics? Big, varsity letters for AP English, or straight A's? Many schools have been awarding letters for the yearbook team or the school paper and other non-sporting events. Some, I found, award letters and subsequent pins for a 3.0 GPA.

And perhaps the very term — letterMAN — is an embarrassment to our egalitarian ethos. LetterPERSON? LetterKID? LetterTEEN? Maybe just Letter Jacket. Searching online, that term does show up more now.

And the letter jackets are being worn by both women and men, as a way to show school spirit, in addition to touting one's teenage resume. It just doesn't seem to be the sartorial rites of passage anymore, at least not in the Bay Area.

Maybe that jacket's time has indeed come and gone. Maybe this is an obituary for the letterman's jacket. But just like the protagonists from some John Hughes movie, to 16-year-old me, there was still nothing cooler than walking into a room with your friends, and your girl is wearing your letterman's jacket. Looking back, though, my enlightened girlfriend never showed any interest in wearing my jacket. She was far more progressive than I.

While it may be — and may have always been — a symbol of the patriarchy, it just felt like belonging.

There's nothing wrong with celebrating athletic accomplishment, but I do look back now at that idealized "letterman jacket" culture I aspired to join and realize it was not always aligned with my ideals of celebrating intellect, woman's sports, individualism, and self-expression. Having a girl wearing your jacket seemed so essential then but now seems so anachronistic.

My jacket is still hanging in my attic, sealed in a garment bag in case I ever go back to my alma mater for some 30-year reunion, where I can put it back on and show that I too achieved some modicum of athletic achievement.

Each school and peer group and subculture will decide if the representation of all those ideals can evolve into a modern societal meme or if it is time to discard the old one and its baggage for something new.

They just won't keep you or your partner warm on a foggy fall evening watching the homecoming game.

That fairly sums up a good portion of the Democrat party has become.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,815 Times in 17,253 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,594 Times in 4,272 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailor View Post
    That fairly sums up a good portion of the Democrat party has become.
    yeah, only leftys earned letter jackets.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

The article fairly sums up a good portion of the Republican Party has become.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

I didn't know it was a 'guy thing. All us girls got lettermean sweaters back in '70.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-19-2018)

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post

This is what your worthless state has been reduced to

It can’t fall into the ocean fast enough. This is what unchecked illegal immigration that you support gets you

You have nobody to blame but yourself and RINOs like you

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    This is what your worthless state has been reduced to

It can’t fall into the ocean fast enough. This is what unchecked illegal immigration that you support gets you

You have nobody to blame but yourself and RINOs like you
    Yes ILA, feminism and fighting the patriarchy only exists in California and only came about because of illegals.

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,645 Times in 16,576 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,435 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Blog Entries

I love our letterman jackets...we worked hard for them....
    They are expensive to dry clean...leather sleeves, you know...
    (mom, dad, kids have them...)
    Still very popular with the kids around here, btw...

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Meh, my school gave letters to female athletes and members of the band as well. You could also earn them on the academic competition teams. I got my letter in football but never bought the jacket. The official jackets were expensive, I didn't like them because I didn't like the school colors, and I really didn't care about it all. There was no way I would have been able to keep those white sleeves white.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Girls and boys got jackets with patches for sports, intramural, academics, volunteer, you name it.

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

Is a letterman what we call a postman? The Royal Mail certainly seems to employ remarkably few women here!

13. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quacky, America's answer to all the questions nobody is asking.

14. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

15. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Quacky, America's answer to all the questions nobody is asking.
    Why do you feel the paper of record for our global City feels the need to write about it? You keep wanting to shoot the messenger.

Not to mention, you wouldn't make a very good feminist.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cawacko For This Post:

countryboy (10-20-2018)

17. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    Is a letterman what we call a postman? The Royal Mail certainly seems to employ remarkably few women here!
    Why do the British hate women? We have a lot of female letter carriers, and postal employees in general.
    Every life matters