Thread: Is This Radical or Just Plain Crazy

1. #31 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
    New user here and I heard something today that disturbed me to the extent that I decided to search out a forum of some sort, to discuss what I heard, and gain some sort of perspective that makes sense.

A little background about myself for whatever it's worth. 60-year old male, military/Desert Storm vet, 2nd Amendment supporter (with limitations). With this background most folks would think I'd be very conservative, but without revealing my party affiliation, I'm probably right in the middle of the political divide.

So, in a very nice antique store today, having a conversation with a male (store manager) probably 10 or so years younger than me, extremely friendly, nice guy, seemly quite intelligent, who I have had general conversations with on many occasions over the years, none of which involved politics. But, he too must have assumed that I shared very extreme, right wing politics (he clearly assumed wrong).

So as guys often to, the conversation turned to guns, I said I own a collection of old military rifles, which I rarely shoot, explaining that I shot so much in the military that it's just not much of a thrill these days, nor do I hunt. He explained that he is a gun owner, shoots on his 500 acre farm, but doesn't hunt either. Now this is where things go off the rails. He said he does not hunt, but would really enjoy hunting Muslims, and he can't wait for the coming civil war, so he can hunt Muslims who he believes is trying to take over the U.S. and Europe. He adds that as much as he hates Muslims, Democrats are worse. I can only conclude from that remark, that during the civil war that he said he's praying for, Democrats would also be fair game.

Now, I have always believed that I'm a fairly good judge of character, but clearly missed the boat on this guy, inasmuch as I was totally stunned, and never thought he would be capable of saying something like this. I have seen war up close, and never want to experience it again.

So, help me make sense about what I heard today. I can't put this guy's comments off as coming from someone who is off his rocker (or maybe he is). Have I missed the boat in terms of current political events, in that our country really is this close to some sort of armed conflict? Has the political divide in our country gotten so bad that seeming decent people would think that civil war is acceptable. I don't follow conspiracy oriented social media; actually I'm not active on social media at all. So again, help me out on what I heard today and where talk of this nature is heading?
    The guy is a loony tune for sure. But so far, the only one's who have been shot in a political civil war have been Republican congress people at a baseball game by a whacked out Democrat. So there is that.

I would say this much however, if liberals continue down this road of intimidation, attacking people they disagree with and pretending Trump isn't their President, people are definitely going to get hurt.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #32 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iolo View Post
    Alas, Bryan, for a very long period, whose causes I won't get into here, the United States has contained more and more citizens who are out of touch with reality, Mother's boys who like to beat their hollow chests. I note that, like me, you are an ex-serviceman, which I think helps. The man, I'd guess, sees Muslims as the (German-or-whatever) villains in old war films, and has no knowledge of international politics, the number of Muslims in the world, or what killing people might really mean. Too many Americans, I fear, have had it far too easy for far too long and, like Trump, believe the world is there to strike attitudes and posture in. Thank God, there are vast numbers of sane Americans, if they would only bother to vote!
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

3. #33 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,761 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    lol...how long have you been posting here?.....
    He was casting doubt on my story about my ex son-in-law---I was just pointing out how stupid it would be to make up stories for a forum fully aware that some people do so.

I previously relayed a story about how easy it is for non-citizens (not illegals) to register and vote and told about how two Asian sisters who were in my class showed me their voter registration to get extra credit. They told me they were not citizens but they sent them a registration, anyway. Many people accused me of making up that story even though I would not waste my time doing so.

4. #34 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    He was casting doubt on my story about my ex son-in-law---I was just pointing out how stupid it would be to make up stories for a forum fully aware that some people do so.

I previously relayed a story about how easy it is for non-citizens (not illegals) to register and vote and told about how two Asian sisters who were in my class showed me their voter registration to get extra credit. They told me they were not citizens but they sent them a registration, anyway. Many people accused me of making up that story even though I would not waste my time doing so.
    I actually believe you. I know for a fact two green card holders were registered to vote at the Secretary of State because of motor voter.

5. #35 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    The guy is a loony tune for sure. But so far, the only one's who have been shot in a political civil war have been Republican congress people at a baseball game by a whacked out Democrat. So there is that.

I would say this much however, if liberals continue down this road of intimidation, attacking people they disagree with and pretending Trump isn't their President, people are definitely going to get hurt.
    gabby giffords

the victims of Timmy McVeigh

6. #36 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

every study done on these claims of illegals voting has born out it not true at any level worth fretting about

there is a massive court record right up to the SCOTUS showing the republicans have cheated Americans out of their rights to vote to steal elections for decades

7. #37 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Have I missed the boat in terms of current political events, in that our country really is this close to some sort of armed conflict? Has the political divide in our country gotten so bad that seeming decent people would think that civil war is acceptable. I don't follow conspiracy oriented social media; actually I'm not active on social media at all. So again, help me out on what I heard today and where talk of this nature is heading?
    Dude, look an antifa. Any armed conflict will start from the Left. It would have happened months ago if Patriots on the Right didn't own guns.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-18-2018)

9. #38 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

New user here and I heard something today that disturbed me to the extent that I decided to search out a forum of some sort, to discuss what I heard, and gain some sort of perspective that makes sense.

A little background about myself for whatever it's worth. 60-year old male, military/Desert Storm vet, 2nd Amendment supporter (with limitations). With this background most folks would think I'd be very conservative, but without revealing my party affiliation, I'm probably right in the middle of the political divide.

So, in a very nice antique store today, having a conversation with a male (store manager) probably 10 or so years younger than me, extremely friendly, nice guy, seemly quite intelligent, who I have had general conversations with on many occasions over the years, none of which involved politics. But, he too must have assumed that I shared very extreme, right wing politics (he clearly assumed wrong).

So as guys often to, the conversation turned to guns, I said I own a collection of old military rifles, which I rarely shoot, explaining that I shot so much in the military that it's just not much of a thrill these days, nor do I hunt. He explained that he is a gun owner, shoots on his 500 acre farm, but doesn't hunt either. Now this is where things go off the rails. He said he does not hunt, but would really enjoy hunting Muslims, and he can't wait for the coming civil war, so he can hunt Muslims who he believes is trying to take over the U.S. and Europe. He adds that as much as he hates Muslims, Democrats are worse. I can only conclude from that remark, that during the civil war that he said he's praying for, Democrats would also be fair game.

Now, I have always believed that I'm a fairly good judge of character, but clearly missed the boat on this guy, inasmuch as I was totally stunned, and never thought he would be capable of saying something like this. I have seen war up close, and never want to experience it again.

So, help me make sense about what I heard today. I can't put this guy's comments off as coming from someone who is off his rocker (or maybe he is). Have I missed the boat in terms of current political events, in that our country really is this close to some sort of armed conflict? Has the political divide in our country gotten so bad that seeming decent people would think that civil war is acceptable. I don't follow conspiracy oriented social media; actually I'm not active on social media at all. So again, help me out on what I heard today and where talk of this nature is heading?
    Fox "news" has for decades lied to their viewers to create a gun toting hate filled voter block to benefit the republican party

the republican party is flowing Mussolinis plan

they want to give the entire nation to the wealthy

we stop the lying and go back to facts for everyone

this will be over

10. The Following User Says Thank You to evince For This Post:

iolo (10-20-2018)

11. #39 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    Dude, look an antifa. Any armed conflict will start from the Left. It would have happened months ago if Patriots on the Right didn't own guns.
    its you racists who kill people asshole

12. #40 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    its you racists who kill people asshole

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MAGA MAN For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-18-2018)

14. #41 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

The story would have been more believable if it were not an antique dealer.
    No, it wouldn't. Anecdotes related on the internet are never believable. Many if not most are likely apocryphal.

15. #42 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    every study done on these claims of illegals voting has born out it not true at any level worth fretting about there is a massive court record right up to the SCOTUS showing the republicans have cheated Americans out of their rights to vote to steal elections for decades
    LINK

16. #43 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    I know for a fact two green card holders were registered to vote at the Secretary of State because of motor voter.
    Is that so?

17. #44 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    No, it wouldn't. Anecdotes related on the internet are never believable. Many if not most are likely apocryphal.
    You don't believe I graduated top of my class in the Navy Seals? Or that I'm an Olympic powerlifter who can kill with a spoon from 1200 yards away?

I don't know why you wouldn't believe that.

18. #45 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

It's rhetorical suggesting somebody must be lacking in some critical element of rational behavior to spend their time making up stories.
    Welcome to JPP.