Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thread Request: Midterms

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,244 Times in 13,969 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Conventional wisdom has the Republicans winning the Senate, picking up three or four seats, and the Democrats just winning the House. Pretty standard prediction, safe on all accounts

Consequences should be interesting, McConnell will ram thru anything he can especially judge appointments, pissing off Democrats, and the House will be focused on investigating everything Trump, annoying Republicans. Nothing legislatively will be accomplished and it will all set up a historically ugly election in 2020

And on top of this, Trump will fire Sessions, probably before Christmas, appoint a overtly partisan Trump guy who will immediately cut Mueller's budget and eventually quietly pocket any results Mueller comes up. It will be like throwing gas on an already inflamed two years

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    I don’t make predictions, polls are unreliable, do they factor in the newly registered voters or just the likely to vote. Turn out will be a big factor in 2018.
    Since the decline in land lines and the age of cell phones.Polls are worthless
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    I agree but I think the Democrats will win the House with 5ish extra seats.
    Not exactly the tsunami you guys were crowing about is it

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Not exactly the tsunami you guys were crowing about is it
    Does one or forty one make a difference, all those House Committees Republicans have been employing to defend Trump will then be investigating Trump, it is a majority rule body

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Does one or forty one make a difference, all those House Committees Republicans have been employing to defend Trump will then be investigating Trump, it is a majority rule body
    True, but it seems like you democrats are tempering expectations. Just sayin

I still don't see any evidence of a blue wave or tsunami, but I guess time will tell. I still maintain a 5-7 seat pickup in the Senate. And who knows maybe if things get really nuts the GOP gets a filibuster proof Senate. How cool would that be? Then we could shit can that cunt Murkowski. She would probably switch parties though just to be the cunt that she really is

It is a real long shot for them to take 60 seats, but crazier things have happened.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    True, but it seems like you democrats are tempering expectations. Just sayin

I still don't see any evidence of a blue wave or tsunami, but I guess time will tell. I still maintain a 5-7 seat pickup in the Senate. And who knows maybe if things get really nuts the GOP gets a filibuster proof Senate. How cool would that be? Then we could shit can that cunt Murkowski. She would probably switch parties though just to be the cunt that she really is

It is a real long shot for them to take 60 seats, but crazier things have happened.
    Few elections are waves in any direction, even 2016, although conservatives won't admit, wasn't projected days before the election to be a Hillary gimme, especially after Comey reentered the mix

And filibusters matter little now, Reid started it, and McConnell took it to the extreme, the Senate has become a majority rule body just like the House. If given the two or three seats the GOP should pick up, if passing legislation becomes a problem Mitch will do away with the filibuster or sixty vote ceiling

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Few elections are waves in any direction, even 2016, although conservatives won't admit, wasn't projected days before the election to be a Hillary gimme, especially after Comey reentered the mix

And filibusters matter little now, Reid started it, and McConnell took it to the extreme, the Senate has become a majority rule body just like the House. If given the two or three seats the GOP should pick up, if passing legislation becomes a problem Mitch will do away with the filibuster or sixty vote ceiling
    What will you blame if the democrats don't take back the House?