Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘There is NO GOD’ Stephen Hawking’s final revelation of the afterlife REVEALED

1. #586 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,184 Times in 7,628 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Yes and no, Frank. He said "science is incapable of prediction" I said "false"
    For my categorical assertion that his was false to be true, I need only show a single instance of science being capable of prediction.
    So I offered several examples where science is capable of prediction.
    I suppose we can quarrel over how capable, but incapable is patently untrue on the facts.
    I said people make too many categorical statements. Mine was not too many, mine was among the true ones.

I also think he was just being overly restrictive in what he considers science. That may be subjective.
    Perhaps anything but the gathering of evidence and assemblage of it is what he considers the science .
    Most people are predicting by the mere instance of making a hypothesis in the first place, and I consider that "science" as well.
    Those hypotheses' are predictive as well, and derive from prior science in most cases.
    My comment about the highlighted quote being a categorical assertion was just me being a wise-ass...although the comment was categorical.

The last phrase in that last paragraph of mine...is a categorical statement.

So was that last sentence.

And this one.

Just the nature of conversation.

2. #587 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I just want to make clear that earlier (to someone other than you) I mentioned that EVERYTHING is evidence of "at least one god exists"...IF GODS EXIST...and that EVERYTHING is evidence of "no gods exist"...IF NO GODS EXIST.

So, yes, I agree that technically it is evidence, but it is evidence of such ambiguity almost all of it can be used as evidence of both assertions. It certainly is not unambiguous evidence...and it is not even evidence that should be offered in support of either assertion. I appreciate you COULD offer it, however, in refutation of my "there is no evidence"...but for what purpose?

That scholarly nit picking does not move this discussion forward any, although I will acknowledge "moving this discussion forward" is probably not going to happen no matter what.

The theists seem content with "I 'believe' there is a GOD" (they have a specific one in mind) and "my 'faith' is strong" (meaning my insistence that my blind guess is correct will not waiver.)

The atheists (or atheist thinkers) are determined not to concede anything...even points that are obvious. Discussions of this sort are no more productive under those circumstances than are debates. An essential of debate (or discussions of this sort) is to concede points made...and not have them linger.

There is just the fun of the give and take here now...and anyone who does not enjoy it (especially if irritated with it)...should abandon ship.

I've got more to say. We put off going to the wood pile, because there is a light mist right now...and no need to get the chop saw wet.

More to come in a bit.
    You use a chop saw for firewood?

3. #588 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You use a chop saw for firewood?
    Yeah.

My wood burning stove won't take anything longer than 19"...and although lots of the stuff I buy (2 cords a year) is 18" or less...some fireplace logs always get included. Maybe 1/4 or slightly less of the load.

I use a special chop saw I have just for that. The 3 - 4 inch pieces I chop off I chop down further sith a small hatchet into kindling/tinder. So it all works out okay...or at least that is my rationalization. It is a pain-in-the-ass and I'd rather not do it.

My stacking area is on the other side of he house from where the drop is made...so hauling wheelbarrows across lawn is more than enough exercise without the cutting.

4. #589 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

M #585

Komodo dragons seem slow & disinterested in humans within reach, unless they're guarding territory, or are hungry.

Exotherms often display casual gait. Yet such dragons, alligators and crocodiles are capable of brief bursts of speed and agility. Cobras are exotherms. Yet their strike is rapid enough not only to have sustained their species for millennia, but fast enough for few to avoid.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. #590 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yeah.

My wood burning stove won't take anything longer than 19"...and although lots of the stuff I buy (2 cords a year) is 18" or less...some fireplace logs always get included. Maybe 1/4 or slightly less of the load.

I use a special chop saw I have just for that. The 3 - 4 inch pieces I chop off I chop down further sith a small hatchet into kindling/tinder. So it all works out okay...or at least that is my rationalization. It is a pain-in-the-ass and I'd rather not do it.

My stacking area is on the other side of he house from where the drop is made...so hauling wheelbarrows across lawn is more than enough exercise without the cutting.
    I get it. Wear eye guards for the bark spray. 82 and wheelbarrowing wood around? I should be so lucky.

6. #591 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

My comment about the highlighted quote being a categorical assertion was just me being a wise-ass...although the comment was categorical.

The last phrase in that last paragraph of mine...is a categorical statement.

So was that last sentence.

And this one.

Just the nature of conversation.
    I like caveats and weasel words and provisos and exceptions and nuance and gray areas.
    Coming out naked and declaring something isn't much of a food fight.
    It's like monty python's argument clinic, mere gainsaying...
    "No it's not, yes it is...."

7. #592 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I like caveats and weasel words and provisos and exceptions and nuance and gray areas.
    Coming out naked and declaring something isn't much of a food fight.
    It's like monty python's argument clinic, mere gainsaying...
    "No it's not, yes it is...."
    Plus, subjecting arguments to some formal logic like a rigid syllogism seldom works or applies in real time.
    Spend all that energy and in the rare isntance when you can declare somethign an invalid syllogism is rare.
    And even if you do, the other guys is still going to say, yes, but you know it's true anyway, and be more persuasive.
    Rhetoric and this is not math, it's supposed to be persuasion.

apologize for posting to myself, but it's what I do most of the time anyway.

8. #593 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Larrikin View Post
    If God doesn't exist then despite everyone praying to Him at least once, nobody did. If you have trouble with that, test it out with an imaginary thing or being. For instance, as you read this, pray to a giant dragon that sits in your back yard. Okay, now, when you've finished praying I'll ask the question.

Did you just pray to the giant dragon in your backyard?

If you say 'yes' you are making a mistake because no such dragon exists.

It means that you were, in fact, praying to yourself.
    The truth hurt you I see. Poor bastard.

9. #594 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Yeah.

I'm completely exhausted just reading this post.
    Quick tip, Frank: adjusting the thermostat also works.

10. #595 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I'm completely exhausted just reading this post.
    Quick tip, Frank: adjusting the thermostat also works.
    It does.

But cozying up to a fire in the wood burning stove is something the house heat cannot match.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Sailor (10-20-2018)

12. #596 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,759 Times in 7,263 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

It does.

But cozying up to a fire in the wood burning stove is something the house heat cannot match.
    Congrats on your energy, my friend.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to NiftyNiblick For This Post:

Frank Apisa (10-20-2018)

14. #597 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,926 Times in 11,513 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm 82 years old and I have seen neurological ophthalmologists about it. They've pretty much advised me on what most likely will or will not happen in the time I have left. Lots of viewing of the kind I used to do is probably not a part of that.
    I see. Unfortunate. At least you remember what you saw earlier.

15. #598 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Okay...don't stop. You are obviously less interested in making contributions to conversations...than attempting to seem a genius.
    I am not trying to seem like a genius.

That is probably true. My graduate work was in Psychology (with Economic and Philosophy majors in undergrad)...so I have. But that was a long, long time ago...and I undoubtedly have lost a lot of what I had in this area. I acknowledge that.
    For what it's worth, you do seem to have a better grasp of it than most people here.
    Anyone looking to PROVE that gods exist...or do not exist...is a fool.
    True. They are also illiterate in logic.
    That is not what we are about here.

The bullshit you offered as "evidence" of "there are no gods" is not even close to evidence that there are no gods...and the attempt was beneath someone with your supposed intelligence. Same thing goes for the bullshit ou offered as "evidence" of "there are gods."
    Nevertheless it is supporting evidence. I never said evidence is a proof. I've said the opposite consistently.
    If you are just showing that you are going to be stone-headed...that was a success.
    Inversion fallacy.
    I suspect this is going south anyway...but, I'm gonna be here no matter what.
    I am not asking you to leave. Indeed, we agree on the basic argument that you making, that one cannot prove the existence or non-existence of any god or gods. You are one of very few people that have arrived at this conclusion.

16. #599 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It does.

Heh. I know what you mean.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Frank Apisa (10-21-2018)

18. #600 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    I am not trying to seem like a genius.

For what it's worth, you do seem to have a better grasp of it than most people here.

True. They are also illiterate in logic.

Nevertheless it is supporting evidence. I never said evidence is a proof. I've said the opposite consistently.

Inversion fallacy.

I am not asking you to leave. Indeed, we agree on the basic argument that you making, that one cannot prove the existence or non-existence of any god or gods. You are one of very few people that have arrived at this conclusion.
    Everyone here believes that you can neither prove or disprove god. The problem that skeptics here have is the idea that a natural world (which contains no describable or identifiable evidence of god at all) should have no bearing
    on a conclusion as to whether or not a god exists. That is simply saying that nothing we experience matters in determining whether or not candyland is real.

Fantasy is not entitled to equal dignity as everything we know. That is the line that is being drawn, or at least that I am drawing.

The things we know are rational, experienced and real. The idea of god has no existence other than in the realm of a thought experiment.

Anyone who uses the inability of recorded experience to disprove a deity should, as a matter of conscience, if nothing else, admit and pronounce that the
    scientific case for god is nonexistent. Remember, we are speaking to children, dummies and god knows what else, possibly even Republicans.

One thing I am waiting to hear from Frank loudly and clearly, is that there is no scientific evidence of a deity and that there is nothing demonstrable other than
    empirical evidence.
    Last edited by Micawber; 10-20-2018 at 02:22 PM.