Page 34 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘There is NO GOD’ Stephen Hawking’s final revelation of the afterlife REVEALED

1. #496 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,939 Times in 11,525 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    None of those things are evidence that no gods exist...or that gods do exist.

Are you delusional?
    Yes they are. You are simply making an argument of the Stone now.

2. #497 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    It is not possible to prove a negative. Attempting to do so is a formal fallacy in logic. You are probably confusing a conclusion of False with a negative proof.
    One can prove a negative.

Proving a negative false...OFTEN IS PROVING THE NEGATIVE. Often, that is the nature of the thing.

This part is correct.
    Thank you. I'm glad you agree.

3. #498 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    I am riled that the United States of America,
    at its very worst,
    could allow a cretinous reprobate like Donald Trump
    to assume the Ova Office.

It's not a small thing.
    It's a catastrophic thing that can and might
    precipitate the total collapse of the republic.

I'm also riled that too many people who recognize that Trump is a malignant cancer on our society
    aren't swarming to the polls to support the most effective anti-Trump candidates

I'm also riled at the belief that Trumpanzees can be civilized and called to reason
    when they lack the genetic capability to be civilized and must be neutralized instead.
    Trump may be an atheist. He sure as hell isn't religious. He does not attend a church. The one he claimed in the campaign had parishioners who said they never saw him there. Not once. He plays golf on Sunday and Sat. He looks uncomfortable when he has to play a religious person. When he was at Liberty School he blew the bible reading and showed no understanding of it. Trump is an actor playing a role for the evangelicals, who do not care. They are about money, just money Like any other group they sell religion for lots and lots of money.
    Trump was pro choice most of his life. now he plays the role of a pro birther. Trumps religion is Trump.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Frank Apisa (10-19-2018)

5. #499 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here in the Pacific Northwest astronomers are a frustrated bunch. It's cloudy most of the time!
    I live within a few miles of New York City...the city always lit to the max.

Light pollution is an abomination here.

Anyway...I had a minor stroke a few years back which left my dominant eye impaired. I have not been able to indulge in what was one of my favorite pastimes in earlier years...viewing.

6. #500 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yes they are. You are simply making an argument of the Stone now.
    Stop with the "fallacies" nonsense. Anyone who was going to be impressed...is already impressed...and anyone who is going to laugh at the excess...is already laughing.

But if you want to be a pain...I will change it to...none are unambiguous pieces of evidence in either direction.

If you take objection to that also...things will go south quickly.

7. #501 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,787 Times in 32,153 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    And what in your opinion have I ignored?

Science is a discipline PP. I'm not a scientist in every field. But a scientist need only be a scientist in one. And with that basic training, ones approach to perception and problem solving is forever advanced.

Again I invite you to cite what it is you think I'm ignorant of. But I know you won't, because I know you can't, because I know I'm not.
    if you had used the quote button we could quickly click back to it......posting to this board is a discipline......since you fail in that, you fail in all.....

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-19-2018)

9. #502 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

" I have not been able to indulge in what was one of my favorite pastimes in earlier years...viewing. " FA #499
    a) bummer

b) Have you considered an aerial drone? For a few $Grand you can get a nice UHD camera rig, and fly it all kinds of places, even beneath the forest canopy if you're good enough.

Also Teeterboro is a round trip you could probably do in a day, if you didn't want to overnight up there. And it's just a $Few $hundred to fly a glider airplane for ~45 minutes. And at that latitude this weekend may be near peak foliage for the autumn viewing season.

I'm just sayin' from one impaired New Yorker to another.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

10. #503 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

One can prove a negative.

Proving a negative false...OFTEN IS PROVING THE NEGATIVE. Often, that is the nature of the thing.

Thank you. I'm glad you agree.
    No, one cannot prove a negative.

11. #504 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    No, one cannot prove a negative.
    One CAN prove a negative.

It is not difficult at all.

What is difficult is proving a negative of universal proportions. (Which is usually when this issue arises.)

Restrict the scope of the negative..and it can be proved almost immediately.

12. #505 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"one cannot prove a negative." G #503
    It depends on the negative.

a) If Bruce's DNA is found at the murder scene of a stabbing death, he may not be able to prove his innocence. "I didn't do it." is a negative. How can he prove he didn't? BUT !!

b) If the challenge is: Did Jesus Christ of Nazareth hold a valid New York State issued driver's license?

b1) The answer is no.

b2) The proof it is no is, the New York State DMV had not yet been constituted. No licensing agency can issue license before it is constituted. That's proof of a negative. JD was not a licensed driver!
    "one cannot prove a negative." G #503
    THINK !
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

13. #506 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Religious leaders are pushing people to believe what they are selling. It is their function to provide proof. Not mine to prove their fictional god does not exist. Want me to believe, then prove it. Problem is, I am an adult and can respond to what they say.
    I am a person of god ,you should join my religion. Why? Convince me. But saying prove my god does not exist, is a lousy argument.The reason they say that, is they cannot prove anything they say.

14. #507 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Religious leaders are pushing people to believe what they are selling. It is their function to provide proof. Not mine to prove their fictional god does not exist. Want me to believe, then prove it. Problem is, I am an adult and can respond to what they say.
    I am a person of god ,you should join my religion. Why? Convince me. But saying prove my god does not exist, is a lousy argument.The reason they say that, is they cannot prove anything they say.
    I have absolutely no problem with what you said here, Nordberg.

But what you said here is far distant from what I have been arguing.

The difference between what you said up above and "there are no gods" is enormous.

15. #508 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have absolutely no problem with what you said here, Nordberg.

But what you said here is far distant from what I have been arguing.

The difference between what you said up above and "there are no gods" is enormous.
    Not really. He placed the burden of proof exactly where it should be. Ask nord to prove an apple exists and he can carry it. Asked to prove it does not exist and that can be disproven too, the obverse side of the same coin. Produce the apple. Why should it be different with god? You can’t give me a reason, can you, because you are already on record refusing to define or describe god.

God can be disproven by wholesale failure to produce evidence. Directed verdict for atheism. ☠️

God cannot be disproven only in the realm of ideas. It is disproven in reality.

16. #509 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    It depends on the negative.

a) If Bruce's DNA is found at the murder scene of a stabbing death, he may not be able to prove his innocence. "I didn't do it." is a negative. How can he prove he didn't? BUT !!

b) If the challenge is: Did Jesus Christ of Nazareth hold a valid New York State issued driver's license?

b1) The answer is no.

b2) The proof it is no is, the New York State DMV had not yet been constituted. No licensing agency can issue license before it is constituted. That's proof of a negative. JD was not a licensed driver!

THINK !
    Kiss my ass. You just spent a convoluted post agreeing with me you stupid shit. You are not a scientist. Shut the fuck up poseur.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

USFREEDOM911 (10-19-2018)

18. #510 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Not really. He placed the burden of proof exactly where it should be. Ask nord to prove an apple exists and he can carry it. Asked to prove it does not exist and that can be disproven too, the obverse side of the same coin. Produce the apple. Why should it be different with god? You can’t give me a reason, can you, because you are already on record refusing to define or describe god.
    Asking someone for proof of a god...and not getting it...IS NOT PROOF THAT THERE ARE NO GODS.

Micawber...you are full of shit.

God can be disproven by wholesale failure to produce evidence. Directed verdict for atheism. ☠️
    Only if you are totally willing to disregard logic.

God cannot be disproven only in the realm of ideas. It is disproven in reality.
    It is your blind guess that no gods exist...and you are willing to make up bullshit that wouldn't stand up to a 10th graders logic course.

Stop while you are far, far behind.