Page 31 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: ‘There is NO GOD’ Stephen Hawking’s final revelation of the afterlife REVEALED

1. #451 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,252 Times in 7,662 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    False....
    I repeat: Anyone supposing that someone asserting "there are no gods"...is using reason and science to arrive there...does not understand reason or science.

And anyone who thinks that to be false...does not understand reason, science, or logic.

2. #452 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If you and I can agree on what the attributes are of a god, then I can produce mountains of evidence there is no god. Until then we simply must disagree.
    I have no idea of what a god would be like; neither do you; neither does anyone else.

So...give me the proof that there are no gods.

I'm pretty sure you will not be forthcoming. I assume for the sake of discussion it includes the typical attributes in western civilization attributed to one including: omniscience, omnipotence,
    actions demonstrating magical ability, nonconformance with Newtonian physics, a giant turtle with the universe on its back, people living in clouds tampering with
    the goings on on mortals,commandments written in stone of impossible provenance sitting on Mount Nebo, burning bushes talking to people, demonstration
    of the power to turn mortals to salt if gazed upon, little partly goat partly manchild perverts hopping around playing pipes... That is how the fables identify one.
    If you are of the type who, if I present to you an ordinary apple you will not exclude from its characteristics godliness, then again, there is nothing to discuss.
    If there are gods...I have absolutely no idea of what they are like...or what attributes they might have.

NONE WHATSOEVER.

So...please produce the proof that gods do not exist.

So, upon your assent that a god is defined by the historical endowments such as these, I will produce 5 trillion molecules of evidence that there is no god.
    It would be unreasonable and unscientific for you to discard all the evidence. The assertion that there is no god is therefore neither unreasonable nor unscientific.
    It is a matter of weighing the physical evidence and probability that one exists. I can not prove there is no god anymore than I can prove there is no an exit 1 mile down the road
    until I get there. But if I have traveled 1000 miles down the road and there have been no exit, I don't bet against that streak in the next mile.
    If you want to produce stuff that calls the god of Abraham, for instance, into question...and then PRETEND that is proof that gods do not exist...

...do so.

There might be someone here as absurd as you who might buy into it.

Otherwise...produce proof that gods do not exist...or shut the fuck up, because you obviously are not ethically suited to acknowledge you are full of shit.

3. #453 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    I repeat: Anyone supposing that someone asserting "there are no gods"...is using reason and science to arrive there...does not understand reason or science.

And anyone who thinks that to be false...does not understand reason, science, or logic.
    Oh God are you guys still on this?

1. I'm pretty sure Hawking understood science and logic a wee bit better than you.
    2. Re-read what Hawking said.

4. #454 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"Anyone supposing that someone asserting "there are no gods"...is using reason and science to arrive there...does not understand reason or science.
    And anyone who thinks that to be false...does not understand reason, science, or logic." FA
    Intentionally or not, you're splitting rhetorical hairs.

I agree it would be more technically correct to say there is no verifying evidence of supernatural deity.

But in casual speech, I wouldn't exaggerate the technical semantic infraction.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. #455 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I have no idea of what a god would be like; neither do you; neither does anyone else.

So...give me the proof that there are no gods.

If there are gods...I have absolutely no idea of what they are like...or what attributes they might have.

NONE WHATSOEVER.

So...please produce the proof that gods do not exist.

If you want to produce stuff that calls the god of Abraham, for instance, into question...and then PRETEND that is proof that gods do not exist...

...do so.

There might be someone here as absurd as you who might buy into it.

Otherwise...produce proof that gods do not exist...or shut the fuck up, because you obviously are not ethically suited to acknowledge you are full of shit.
    "Shut the fuck up?" Running away, as I anticipated. ^^^^^

6. #456 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

Yup.

Hawking put it right: it was his *opinion* that science provides no evidence of God. He didn’t say the logic behind it was unassailable. The logic behind it is pretty flimsy, actually; since science, by definition, can’t prove or disprove the existence of a being that existed since before time began.
    Last edited by Darth Omar; 10-19-2018 at 07:24 AM.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

7. #457 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

]If you and I can agree on what the attributes are of a god, then I can produce mountains of evidence there is no god. Until then we simply must disagree.
    I'm pretty sure you will not be forthcoming. I assume for the sake of discussion it includes the typical attributes in western civilization attributed to one including: omniscience, omnipotence,
    actions demonstrating magical ability, nonconformance with Newtonian physics, a giant turtle with the universe on its back, people living in clouds tampering with
    the goings on on mortals,commandments written in stone of impossible provenance sitting on Mount Nebo, burning bushes talking to people, demonstration
    of the power to turn mortals to salt if gazed upon, little partly goat partly manchild perverts hopping around playing pipes... That is how the fables identify one.
    If you are of the type who, if I present to you an ordinary apple you will not exclude from its characteristics godliness, then again, there is nothing to discuss.

So, upon your assent that a god is defined by the historical endowments such as these, I will produce 5 trillion molecules of evidence that there is no god.
    It would be unreasonable and unscientific for you to discard all the evidence. The assertion that there is no god is therefore neither unreasonable nor unscientific.
    It is a matter of weighing the physical evidence and probability that one exists. I can not prove there is no god anymore than I can prove there is no an exit 1 mile down the road
    until I get there. But if I have traveled 1000 miles down the road and there have been no exit, I don't bet against that streak in the next mile.

Since you are unwilling to have an agreed upon definition of what we are talking about, I must infer you have no idea what your have been talking about.
    Why am I not surprised?

8. #458 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 32,101 Times in 21,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,307 Times in 1,235 Posts

]If you and I can agree on what the attributes are of a god, then I can produce mountains of evidence there is no god. Until then we simply must disagree.

Since you are unwilling to have an agreed upon definition of what we are talking about, I must infer you have no idea what your have been talking about.
    Why am I not surprised?
    Define the evidence that would be required to change your opinion.
    Coup has started. First of many steps. Impeachment will follow ultimately~WB attorney Mark Zaid, January 2017

9. #459 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"I have no idea of what a god would be like; neither do you; neither does anyone else." FA #452
    The religionist defines his own god.

Is Buddhism a religion? History reports Buddha, "the enlightened one" was a real life, flesh and blood human being. No supernatural anything.

Perhaps we can meet half-way in agreeing that the term "god" has rather plastic definitions.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

10. #460 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    The religionist defines his own god.

Is Buddhism a religion? History reports Buddha, "the enlightened one" was a real life, flesh and blood human being. No supernatural anything.

Perhaps we can meet half-way in agreeing that the term "god" has rather plastic definitions.
    Sure a pliable concept that hardens at room temp.

Frank Apisa uses the symbol "gods" and states they are something he can't define, then goes on to assert no proof can be offered as to its existence or not. Well that's very convenient.
    Also, I think he was making a more integral claim, that logic itself is constructed to immunize itself from matters of nature and empiricism. They can work together, else logic and philosophy
    serve no function. He is making a simplistic binary assertion. Gods, a thing he has no idea about by his own confession,
    are As and the natural world is B, and neither can touch the other. On this basis he claims that B cannot prove the existence of A or disprove it. Circular.
    I know this is his assertion because he will not admit evidence of lack of A within B is meaningful.
    He has chickened out of the debate. He has created a protective wall. That is a wall he has erected, not one that necessarily exists.
    If you won't define what you are talking about it's probably not wise to make any assertions, though he has.
    It isn't that there is no evidence, it is that he refuses to accept any evidence.

11. #461 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,077 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

The origin of empty space and sub-atomic particles has not been convincingly identified.
    If we're to attribute anything to a god, largely because we can't imagine backwards-infinity,
    then these would be that god's likely creations.

Attributing any influence of a god over the protons, electrons, neutrons, and vacuum would be
    a much, much harder thing to do.

We have beautiful sunrises over mountain lakes.
    We have malignant tumors and debilitating defects in innocent newborns.
    That's the beginning of a convincing argument for random confluence.

12. #462 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    Oh God are you guys still on this?

1. I'm pretty sure Hawking understood science and logic a wee bit better than you.
    2. Re-read what Hawking said.
    If what Hawkin said is "there are no gods" (I SERIOUSLY DOUBT HE EVER SAID THAT)...but if he did, he was just blindly guessing.

13. #463 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

If what Hawkin said is "there are no gods" (I SERIOUSLY DOUBT HE EVER SAID THAT)...but if he did, he was just blindly guessing.
    You just read it in this thread.

And his name was Hawking.

14. #464 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Intentionally or not, you're splitting rhetorical hairs.

I agree it would be more technically correct to say there is no verifying evidence of supernatural deity.

But in casual speech, I wouldn't exaggerate the technical semantic infraction.
    I am NOT splitting rhetorical hairs.

Anyone asserting "there is a god(s)" or "there are no gods"...is merely sharing a blind guess about the REALITY of existence.

That seems to be a problem with the atheists here.

Tough!

15. #465 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I am NOT splitting rhetorical hairs.

Anyone asserting "there is a god(s)" or "there are no gods"...is merely sharing a blind guess about the REALITY of existence.

That seems to be a problem with the atheists here.

Tough!
    Yes. you are splitting hairs. In fact, you're guilty of far worse than that in this thread.