Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Claim: The US is a constitutional republic, not a democracy

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 14 Times in 13 Posts

Default Claim: The US is a constitutional republic, not a democracy

Why is it so important for some American conservatives to insist on this claim? As far as I know, the only significant respect in which the US is not a pure democracy is the collegiate system of presidential elections. Is that what this is all about?

If I said that the UK is a monarchy, not a democracy, that would be regarded as very odd, because for a century or more it has been both of those things, and nobody - certainly not conservatives - would claim otherwise. I might add that it has enjoyed freedom from arbitrary rule for much longer. That indeed is not the same thing as democracy, although the terms are often confused.

Any ideas?
    I Love Russia

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Aarr! For This Post:

SouthernUnkleRitchie (10-16-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,360 Times in 14,088 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 649 Times in 616 Posts

Desh?

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Because it is true

Democracy is mob rule. Founders wanted to avoid that

5. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

Truth Detector (10-16-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by cawacko View Post
    Desh?
    If you're asking am I Desh, the answer is no.

Do you say that the US is not a democracy? Is that because of the collegiate system in presidential elections?
    I Love Russia

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aarr! For This Post:

SouthernUnkleRitchie (10-16-2018)

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magaraja View Post
    Why is it so important for some American conservatives to insist on this claim? As far as I know, the only significant respect in which the US is not a pure democracy is the collegiate system of presidential elections. Is that what this is all about?

If I said that the UK is a monarchy, not a democracy, that would be regarded as very odd, because for a century or more it has been both of those things, and nobody - certainly not conservatives - would claim otherwise. I might add that it has enjoyed freedom from arbitrary rule for much longer. That indeed is not the same thing as democracy, although the terms are often confused.

Any ideas?
    Another loser that failed grade school American Government. I want you to imagine the US without the electoral system. If a President was chosen by popular vote, the only States that would have representation would be California, New York, Washington, Oregon and maybe Texas.

Because we are a Republic of States with LIMITED Federal Government, States are represented better by an electoral college. The Federal Government has LIMITED powers basically amounting to defending our borders, or interests and administering our laws. ALL other powers are reserved to the States.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

If you're asking am I Desh, the answer is no.

Do you say that the US is not a democracy? Is that because of the collegiate system in presidential elections?
    It's not a collegiate system you moron. It's an electoral college.

Read, and become informed:

The Electoral College was created for two reasons. The first purpose was to create a buffer between population and the selection of a President. The second as part of the structure of the government that gave extra power to the smaller states.

The first reason that the founders created the Electoral College is hard to understand today. The founding fathers were afraid of direct election to the Presidency. They feared a tyrant could manipulate public opinion and come to power. Hamilton wrote in the Federalist Papers:

https://www.historycentral.com/elect...collgewhy.html
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Any ideas?
    A direct democracy is a system in which issues are decided by a majority vote of the citizens--like a New England town meeting. Americans have never voted on issues at the federal level.

We are a representative democracy but differ from parliamentary democracies in that majority rule of Parliament decide issues and those decisions are not usually limited by constitutional restrictions. In the U. S. if a majority wanted to limit the free speech of Muslims or white supremacists that violates governmental power even if 3/4 of the people and members of Congress support it.

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/Am...ts/demrep.html

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (10-17-2018)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

Claim: The US is a constitutional republic, not a democracy

Why is it so important for some American conservatives to insist on this claim?
    1) Because they keep losing the popular vote, and yet cling to power against the will of the people. There are grown adults alive today who have only seen the GOP win a national popular vote one single time in their lives.

2) Conservatives are the intellectual inheritance of the Whigs, the Tories, the Reactionaries, the Royalists. They do not trust the people, and believe that elites, the wealthy, the monied interests, and the landed gentry, (and preferably white males), should be the ones making the decisions.

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    A direct democracy is a system in which issues are decided by a majority vote of the citizens--like a New England town meeting. Americans have never voted on issues at the federal level.

We are a representative democracy but differ from parliamentary democracies in that majority rule of Parliament decide issues and those decisions are not usually limited by constitutional restrictions. In the U. S. if a majority wanted to limit the free speech of Muslims or white supremacists that violates governmental power even if 3/4 of the people and members of Congress support it.

http://www.lexrex.com/enlightened/Am...ts/demrep.html
    Thanks! So would you say that the US is both a constitutional republic and a representative democracy? A surprizing number of conservatives flatly deny that - it seems to be important to them.
    I Love Russia

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    1) Because they keep losing the popular vote, and yet cling to power against the will of the people. There are grown adults alive today who have only seen the GOP win a national popular vote one single time in their lives.

2) Conservatives are the intellectual inheritance of the Whigs, the Tories, the Reactionaries, the Royalists. They do not trust the people, and believe that elites, the wealthy, the monied interests, and the landed gentry, (and preferably white males), should be the ones making the decisions.
    I was thinking something on those lines, but I wanted to see conservatives make their case.
    I Love Russia

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Thanks! So would you say that the US is both a constitutional republic and a representative democracy? A surprizing number of conservatives flatly deny that - it seems to be important to them.
    Yes. A republic means rule by representatives. Those representatives do not have to be elected and the U. S. Constitution created a republic but only the House was elected by the people. Madison (Federalist #10) specifically sought to avoid a system where any faction(s) could impose its policies on others---that includes a majority.

We have evolved to give more power to citizens to elect our representatives and include a larger percentage of our citizens in that vote and that has given our republic a more democratic aspect than it had originally.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (10-17-2018)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

Democracies which is majority rule is for unions, not the government. The party the majority of Americans vote for has lost 4 elections.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Because it is true

Yup, that's why they set this shit up, all they did was bring the fucked up old world they didn't want anymore to the new world and fucked it all up like the old world.

Sit down and stfu, the aristocracy will tell you how it is with fweedumb, you have no say.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Lol, utter falsehood. The only election in the United States not tallied by popular vote, is the presidential election. How do you explain the massive loss by democrats, of the House, the Senate, a multitude of governoships, as well as state and local positions since 2010? Allow me to assist you. Your ideas simply aren't popular. Furthermore, your rank hypocrisy is truly astonishing. You only like the popular vote when it goes your way. When it doesn't, you prefer to use the courts to impose your sick, twisted ideals upon everybody else.

Typical racist leftist loonery, unworthy of a response.
    Every life matters

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    Because it is true

Yes we need to abolish voting and let the landed gentry pick our rulers.
    I travel softly through the night. Yep, I'm one of those.

I am> "the unconquerable will,
    And study of revenge, immortal hate,
    And courage never to submit or yield." (to rwnuts.)

"Indelible"