Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Claim: The US is a constitutional republic, not a democracy

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Lol, utter falsehood. The only election in the United States not tallied by popular vote, is the presidential election. How do you explain the massive loss by democrats, of the House, the Senate, a multitude of governoships, as well as state and local positions since 2010? Allow me to assist you. Your ideas simply aren't popular. Furthermore, your rank hypocrisy is truly astonishing. You only like the popular vote when it goes your way. When it doesn't, you prefer to use the courts to impose your sick, twisted ideals upon everybody else.

Typical racist leftist loonery, unworthy of a response.
    Typical rw brain dead buffoon, to stupid to respond^

I travel softly through the night. Yep, I'm one of those.

I am> "the unconquerable will,
    And study of revenge, immortal hate,
    And courage never to submit or yield." (to rwnuts.)

"Indelible"

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,760 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    1) Because they keep losing the popular vote, and yet cling to power against the will of the people. There are grown adults alive today who have only seen the GOP win a national popular vote one single time in their lives.

2) Conservatives are the intellectual inheritance of the Whigs, the Tories, the Reactionaries, the Royalists. They do not trust the people, and believe that elites, the wealthy, the monied interests, and the landed gentry, (and preferably white males), should be the ones making the decisions.

1. Untrue. They win the popular vote as often as Democrats. Governors and state legislatures are predominantly Republican and based only on the popular vote. Republicans won the popular vote in the U. S. House election in 2016 and 2012 and the U. S. Senate elections of 2014 and 2010. Republicans hold a near record number of seats and have gained 1,000 seats since 2008---only one of those is not determined by the popular vote.

2. The description of Republicans as Populists does not conform to your description.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsupkid View Post
    I'm a typical LWNJ brain dead buffoon, to stupid to respond^
    I can see that.
    Every life matters

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,821 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 610 Times in 560 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Magaraja View Post
    Why is it so important for some American conservatives to insist on this claim? As far as I know, the only significant respect in which the US is not a pure democracy is the collegiate system of presidential elections. Is that what this is all about?

If I said that the UK is a monarchy, not a democracy, that would be regarded as very odd, because for a century or more it has been both of those things, and nobody - certainly not conservatives - would claim otherwise. I might add that it has enjoyed freedom from arbitrary rule for much longer. That indeed is not the same thing as democracy, although the terms are often confused.

Any ideas?
    Though the nation's governing body "representatives" are elected by a popular "democratic" vote, No elected representative is sworn to the directive of a majority of the people. Every representative is sworn to represent the people within the confines of the "constitutional rule of law." America is designed as a Constitutional Republic who's people are represented by democratic elections of representatives sworn to govern by a "Constitution."
    "Government is force by definition and corruption by nature. The bigger the government, the greater the force and the greater the corruption."

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,456 Times in 2,386 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 941 Times in 861 Posts

The key points, I think, are that the US is now a compulsory Federation, in which a couple of quite small States can outvote a big one when it matters and that many constituencies are hugely gerrymandered, to a degree that is weird. No, it's not really a democracy, is it?
    Last edited by iolo; 10-17-2018 at 06:35 AM.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

If you're asking am I Desh, the answer is no.

Do you say that the US is not a democracy? Is that because of the collegiate system in presidential elections?
    It would be more more accurate to say we are a Constitutional Democratic Republic. We have never been a pure Democracy. Many of our institutions are not Democratic. The Electoral College, the Senate (both State and Federal), our Federal Judiciary, Conggresional apportionment, etc,.

We do use Democratic principles to a great extent just not exclusively.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Democracies which is majority rule is for unions, not the government. The party the majority of Americans vote for has lost 4 elections.
    actually that’s 5 elections. Adams, Hayes, Harrison, W, and Trump.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Why is it so important for some American conservatives to insist on this claim? As far as I know, the only significant respect in which the US is not a pure democracy is the collegiate system of presidential elections. Is that what this is all about?

If I said that the UK is a monarchy, not a democracy, that would be regarded as very odd, because for a century or more it has been both of those things, and nobody - certainly not conservatives - would claim otherwise. I might add that it has enjoyed freedom from arbitrary rule for much longer. That indeed is not the same thing as democracy, although the terms are often confused.

Any ideas?
    What it is, is an excuse to justify Republicans clinging on to the Archaic Electoral process, Gerrymandering, and voter suppression here in America!

It is also an effort to promote the word Republic in the Republican party- and a way to diminish the word Democracy because it looks so much like Democrat!

Republicans hate the term "Democratic Process" because it looks like a plug for the Democrats!

That is why the Republicans are trying to kill all of America's Democratic Processes right now and have no regard or respect for them anymore!

Any questions?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adolf_Twitler For This Post:

iolo (10-17-2018), Tranquillus in Exile (10-17-2018)

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,598 Times in 4,276 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    What it is, is an excuse to justify Republicans clinging on to the Archaic Electoral process, Gerrymandering, and voter suppression here in America!

It is also an effort to promote the word Republic in the Republican party- and a way to diminish the word Democracy because it looks so much like Democrat!

Republicans hate the term "Democratic Process" because it looks like a plug for the Democrats!

That is why the Republicans are trying to kill all of America's Democratic Processes right now and have no regard or respect for them anymore!

Any questions?
    they also call us The Democrat party. It is the Democratic Party, and they know better. That has been deliberate the last decade or so.