Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iranian president takes on U.S., Israel at U.N.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Iranian president takes on U.S., Israel at U.N.

(CNN) -- With the U.N. Security Council meeting this week to consider whether to impose sanctions on Iran, President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad took aim at the body Tuesday, saying the United States' permanent inclusion on the council undermines its effectiveness and credibility.

"As long as the council is unable to act on behalf of the entire international community in a transparent, just and democratic manner, it will neither be legitimate nor effective," the president said.

Speaking to the U.N. General Assembly, Ahmadinejad had particularly harsh words for what he called the council's inaction in Lebanon, Iraq and the Palestinian territories. (Watch Ahmadinejad complain about the U.S. and the UK -- 3:27)

"It does not matter if people are murdered in Palestine," he said of the conflicts in which Israel has been engaged in Gaza and the West Bank. "That apparently does not violate human rights."

Click Here for the rest of the story.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,610 Times in 10,571 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

LOL. Isn't this like saying... "Bird flies by flapping its wings! More at 9!"
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 0 Times in 0 Posts

The UN security council idea is dumb. Let's in all perpetuity have the dominant powers at the end of world war two have the ability to shape world policy.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,714 Times in 27,344 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHateGovernment View Post
    The UN security council idea is dumb. Let's in all perpetuity have the dominant powers at the end of world war two have the ability to shape world policy.
    Its an artifact of WWII, when the allied powers allowed themselves to be the dominant players at the UN.

In today's world, emerging powers India, Japan, and Brazil have as much right to be a permanent member as the increasingly irrelevant Britain and France.

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well at least the Iranian president is open and up front on critisizing the UN unlike Bush and attacking undercover.
    I don't really think this was an unexpected speech from Iran.

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I was at work and didn't get to hear what ah'malittlehitler had to say. have to catch up on it. But it looks like nothing new there. Like all the little dictaors he wants to control the un.

I did catch shitvez's speech today. He sounds as crazy as ah'malittlehitler. He wants to move the un to venezuela. That sounds like a good idea. We can with draw from that piece of shit organization and they can move it down there and rename it the united dictaors.

Look for iran to develope nukes and begin shipping them to venezuela. north korea will supply medium range missiles and we will have another missile criss. and they are all supported by the I hate Bush crowd.

uscitizen is right, this country is full of stoopid people. They have a mental disorder called liberalism.
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four than you do with just a kind word.

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

uscitizen is right, this country is full of stoopid people. They have a mental disorder called liberalism.
    //

Lol , Gaffer I did not limit my statement to liberalism, that is your spin.
    Of course stupidity is not limited to the USA....

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Its an artifact of WWII, when the allied powers allowed themselves to be the dominant players at the UN.

In today's world, emerging powers India, Japan, and Brazil have as much right to be a permanent member as the increasingly irrelevant Britain and France.

Agreed.

9. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They have a mental disorder called liberalism.

Thank you Michael Wiener.

10. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't believe the answer is to simply add more permanent security council members. I think general assembly should be apportioned to the square root of each country (or, possibly, regions) population, and the permanent membership should be abolished. We need to come up with a better method to ensure consensus.

11. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    I was at work and didn't get to hear what ah'malittlehitler had to say. have to catch up on it. But it looks like nothing new there. Like all the little dictaors he wants to control the un.

I did catch shitvez's speech today. He sounds as crazy as ah'malittlehitler. He wants to move the un to venezuela. That sounds like a good idea. We can with draw from that piece of shit organization and they can move it down there and rename it the united dictaors.

Look for iran to develope nukes and begin shipping them to venezuela. north korea will supply medium range missiles and we will have another missile criss. and they are all supported by the I hate Bush crowd.

Oh is Ahmadinejad the new next Hitler? I remember when Saddam was the next Hitler, but now I guess he is the ex-new Hitler making Ahmadinejad the new next Hitler.

I find it so taxing trying to keep with all of the next Hitlers. I'm afraid I might miss one and then he'll be the last next Hitler before I even knew he was the new Hitler.

I do hope the right is going to put out a pamphlet, "The Idiot's Guide To The Next And The Last New Hitlers."

12. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    I don't believe the answer is to simply add more permanent security council members. I think general assembly should be apportioned to the square root of each country (or, possibly, regions) population, and the permanent membership should be abolished. We need to come up with a better method to ensure consensus.
    how about doing away with the permanent and overpowering veto power of a few nations ?

13. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I still say membership to the un should be limited only to true democracies. It would make for a very small un.
    You get more with a kind word and a two by four than you do with just a kind word.

14. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Gaffer, no one would be there at all. there are no true democracies in the world.

15. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"As long as the council is unable to act on behalf of the entire international community in a transparent, just and democratic manner, it will neither be legitimate nor effective," the president said.

He is right. The UN is essentially the US' puppet, despite recent spats. The US has vetoed more resolutions and used the UN to conduct its foreign policy more than any other nation.

That it ironic that some in the US paint the UN as the anti-Christ.

Unless the UN becomes more democratic and scraps the SC in its current form.
    Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.

Friedrich Nietzsche