Thread: Humanity is ‘cutting down the tree of life’, warn scientists

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    It's really a bummer that protecting the environment became such a right/left thing. It should be in everyone's interest - but conservatives just oppose anything as a knee-jerk response now, because they perceive all of it as some sort of "fringe lefty" cause...
    There you go again bloviating strawman lies again. Yep, it idiot land, Conservatives hate the climate, hate trees, hate little kids, babies and especially minorities and women! STFU, seriously.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

That's the issue - I am not talking about AGW. Every single discussion of the environment or of protecting the environment is now framed around AGW. There are other aspects to the debate than AGW.

I'm not an AGW guy, and I abandoned that line of reasoning ages ago. I don't care about false doomsday predictions or the IPCC. I care about the fact that we don't adequately plan for sustainability or understand the nature of finite resources, and that we still pollute with abandon. I care that habitat is disappearing, as well as species, at an alarming rate.
    Idiot translation:

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,011 Times in 3,467 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 494 Times in 452 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's impossible to prove either way, no matter how sure either side sounds or how much "consensus" there is. It's a total distraction at this point, imo.
    It's not science if you can't disprove it. You're supposed to try to disprove your theory from every angle to show that it must be the correct solution. Instead, we get models of models built on models. It's models all the way down. Never is there any falsification attempted. It's not science.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoil View Post
    It's not science if you can't disprove it. You're supposed to try to disprove your theory from every angle to show that it must be the correct solution. Instead, we get models of models built on models. It's models all the way down. Never is there any falsification attempted. It's not science.
    It is a political agenda; nothing to do with science.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Um, okay.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Um, okay.
    You said it's impossible to prove either way. Science doesn't work that way. You either disprove the null hypothesis or it's the explanation instead of your hypothesis.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You said it's impossible to prove either way. Science doesn't work that way. You either disprove the null hypothesis or it's the explanation instead of your hypothesis.
    Yes, I did say that.

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tinfoil - please go re-read what I originally wrote about AGW.

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Tinfoil - please go re-read what I originally wrote about AGW.
    Dude, I understand, and in fact it's one of the biggest reason I have respect for you and consider you an asset to this site. Sorry if I say some nasty shit once in a while. I've been ill for about a week with a persistent bug and it's made me cranky. The smugness of the alarmists and liberals in general has become gratingly intolerable. I know it's stupid, but I allow myself to be stupid once in a while. It's a character flaw, I know.

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,427 Times in 5,874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,519 Times in 6,260 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dude, I understand, and in fact it's one of the biggest reason I have respect for you and consider you an asset to this site. Sorry if I say some nasty shit once in a while. I've been ill for about a week with a persistent bug and it's made me cranky. The smugness of the alarmists and liberals in general has become gratingly intolerable. I know it's stupid, but I allow myself to be stupid once in a while. It's a character flaw, I know.
    There cannot be flaws in that which doesn't exist.
    You're deceiving yourself.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

STFU with your "you don't grasp" bullshit. I have taken the time to learn all the science involved. I have a complete understanding of what the predictions entail, and the fact that they are based on a feedback equation which attributes the natural response of the entire CO2 effect to humans, who are only responsible for 5% of the total of the naturally occurring gas. It was not a mistake by climate modelers. The entire climate scare is built on faulty math. From the feedback equation, the model predicts 30% more forcing than is seen in the climate record. Yet you alarmists continue to believe the silly predictions when the skeptics have narrowed the transient climate response to about 1.5 degrees/doubling ....half of which we have already seen.

I'm sorry you're a dunning kruger allstar and think everyone who doesn't agree with you is stupid.

BTW, James Hansen predicted NYC would be under sea water by 2000

Look it up, alarmist!
    NYC Subways Flooding from Tropical Storm Sandy:

Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,108 Times in 13,083 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello tinfoil,

Smugness is pretty difficult to avoid when you look at some of what we liberals are up against. You're one of the better posters here and you're greatly appreciated. Here's hoping your condition undergoes a rapid improvement and you feel excellent again pronto!
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.