Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fact -When the Civil War started, Lincoln asked Robert E Lee to lead all Union troops

1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    "Trader"? Are you making a joke or just stupid?
    Lee traded the usa for the confederacy.
    I travel softly through the night. Yep, I'm one of those.

I am> "the unconquerable will,
    And study of revenge, immortal hate,
    And courage never to submit or yield." (to rwnuts.)

"Indelible"

2. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Doesn't change the fact that Lincoln did first ask Lee to lead the Union Army and if you have to hate on Lee then great, but the man wasn't anywhere near as evil as some people try to make him out to be.
    Treason isn't,jay walking
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (10-15-2018), SouthernUnkleRitchie (10-15-2018)

4. #63 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anne and Margot View Post
    Treason isn't,jay walking
    I know. All I'm saying is the decision as to how to proceed after the war was made at the time, long before you and I were born. I think trying to rewrite history long after the fact just because some people are uncomfortable with the reality is a very bad idea. Whether anyone likes it or not Robert E. Lee was an important figure in American history.

5. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Sorry but that just wrong, in fact several Northern states discussed seceding in 1812. It wasn't until the war was over that the Union decided that secession was not allowed. In fact, with true irony, the Northern states kicked the secession states out and then insisted they petition for reentry.

The idea of a perpetual union has a long history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_Union

Yes other factions in the US had at times tried to secede, but that hardly justifies it. In practice states almost never allow unilateral independence by a federal unit. Stop listening to lost cause propaganda that you probably picked up with all your white nationalist youtubing you old fart.

Also, yes, in the initial aftermath of the war the union did put conditions on "reentry", but in 1869 in Texas v. White the supreme court declare that Texas had always legally been a part of the union and that any declarations to the contrary were illegal and not in effect:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_v._White

And that's been the law of the land ever since. The constitution forbids withdrawal from the union, in order to withdraw you would need a constitutional amendment.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

SouthernUnkleRitchie (10-15-2018)

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I know. All I'm saying is the decision as to how to proceed after the war was made at the time, long before you and I were born. I think trying to rewrite history long after the fact just because some people are uncomfortable with the reality is a very bad idea. Whether anyone likes it or not Robert E. Lee was an important figure in American history.
    Robert E Lee turned on his country,that was treason,then and it's still treason now.
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

mak2 (10-15-2018), SouthernUnkleRitchie (10-15-2018)

9. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The British abolished slavery throughout the empire in 1833, they would have ensured that the South would have done the same. The Brits also paid huge compensation to slave traders, if Lincoln had. Done the same then there would have been no war.
    Are you retarded? Lincoln would've been glad to settle the issue on a compensated end of slavery. In practice he was willing to let them do much more, he offered to amend the constitution to protect slavery as long as the union would stay together. After the south declared independence out of pure stubborness and lost the war, obviously, the north was not at all in a forgiving mood and there was no chance that they'd give the plantation owners compensation.

It was the south who was stubborn, refused a compensated end of slavery, a continuation of slavery, or anything.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

11. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Only to the traitors.

"Indelible"

12. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,231 Times in 3,449 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,212 Times in 1,887 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    [B]The Civil War most assuredly was about slavery.
    So why did Lincoln ask slave owner Lee to lead the Union troops.?? THINK, white-hating racist.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

13. The Following User Groans At Text Drivers are Killers For This Awful Post:

14. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by White privilege is real View Post

Yes other factions in the US had at times tried to secede, but that hardly justifies it. In practice states almost never allow unilateral independence by a federal unit. Stop listening to lost cause propaganda that you probably picked up with all your white nationalist youtubing you old fart.

Also, yes, in the initial aftermath of the war the union did put conditions on "reentry", but in 1869 in Texas v. White the supreme court declare that Texas had always legally been a part of the union and that any declarations to the contrary were illegal and not in effect:

And that's been the law of the land ever since. The constitution forbids withdrawal from the union, in order to withdraw you would need a constitutional amendment.

"congress shall have the power to quell insurrections" from conus.

"Indelible"

15. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Are you retarded? Lincoln would've been glad to settle the issue on a compensated end of slavery. In practice he was willing to let them do much more, he offered to amend the constitution to protect slavery as long as the union would stay together. After the south declared independence out of pure stubborness and lost the war, obviously, the north was not at all in a forgiving mood and there was no chance that they'd give the plantation owners compensation.

It was the south who was stubborn, refused a compensated end of slavery, a continuation of slavery, or anything.
    ^

"Indelible"

16. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by katzgar View Post
    southern states thinking the confederacy was a good idea was a non starter from the git go.
    The South could have and should have won the war. Lee was a poor general. Too offensive-minded.
    Reckless drivers are a bigger threat to you than all other criminals put together!

THE BIG LIE - Blacks and whites are different physically but identical mentally!

There is no way 81 million americans voted for a man they know is a child molester w dementia. Impeach Joe the Pedophile Vegetable (JPV)

17. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Furthermore, Lincoln did not at the time have the constitutional authority to force those four states to abolish slavery.
    HAHAHA. Lincoln also didn't have authority to throw thousands of northern war critics in jail or to shut down hundreds of northern newspapers that opposed the war. But he did both. Booth go one thing right - lincoln was a tyrant. THINK

18. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The British abolished slavery throughout the empire in 1833, they would have ensured that the South would have done the same. The Brits also paid huge compensation to slave traders, if Lincoln had. Done the same then there would have been no war.

19. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anne and Margot View Post
    Robert E Lee turned on his country,that was treason,then and it's still treason now.
    And he was granted amnesty.

Funny thing about Lee, he didn't want Confederate memorials built. I wonder what he would have thought about all of the fuss over him today.

20. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Yes, and that was not the case before the war, so kindly stop putting the cart before the horse!!