Thread: IPCC REPORT: EXTREME WEATHER EVENTS HAVE NOT INCREASED

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default IPCC REPORT: EXTREME WEATHER EVENTS HAVE NOT INCREASED

The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel On Climate Change’s (IPCC) newly-released climate report, once again, found little to no evidence global warming caused many types of extreme weather events to increase. “The IPCC once again reports that there is little basis for claiming that drought, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes have increased, much less increased due to” greenhouse gases, University of Colorado professor Roger Pielke, Jr. tweeted Sunday night.

For example, the IPCC’s report noted that “there is only low confidence regarding changes in global tropical cyclone numbers under global warming over the last four decades.” Pielke pointed out this inconvenient data. Much like the IPCC’s 2013 climate assessment, the new special report confirmed what Pielke and others have said for years about the relationship between global warming and extreme weather.

But don’t expect to hear that from many other media outlets, especially those that often cite individual weather events as evidence of man-made warming. For example, The Washington Post’s write-up of the IPCC’s report focused on the mainline findings — namely, that “the world is woefully off target” to keep future global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius.

The New York Times highlighted the IPCC’s warning of “a world of worsening food shortages and wildfires, and a mass die-off of coral reefs as soon as 2040.” Neither WaPo nor NYT mentioned the report’s findings on extreme weather. The IPCC’s new report is meant to sound the alarm on global warming ahead of the UN climate summit, which is to be held in Poland this December. Delegates are expected to make further commitments to implement the Paris climate accord that calls for limiting future warming below 2 degrees Celsius by 2100.

Aside from dire predictions, however, the IPCC’s new report also noted that many types of extreme weather events are not getting worse. When it comes to droughts, for example, the IPCC admits there is “low confidence in the sign of drought trends since 1950 at global scale. The report says there are “likely to be trends in some regions of the world,” including increasing droughts in the Mediterranean and decreasing droughts in parts of North America.

The IPCC also noted there is “low confidence due to limited evidence, however, that anthropogenic climate change has affected the frequency and the magnitude of floods.” The report added that “streamflow trends since 1950 are non-statistically significant in most of the world’s largest rivers.”

https://www.thegwpf.com/ipcc-report-...getting-worse/

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,388 Times in 7,999 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 809 Times in 761 Posts

Didn't you used to go all out to discredit the IPCC?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cancel 2020.1 For This Post:

evince (10-13-2018)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thing1 View Post
    Didn't you used to go all out to discredit the IPCC?
    There is a vast difference between the 33 page Summary for Policymakers which is mostly written by activists and pseudo-scientists. In fact I can only see one out of the 91 contributors I recognise and that is Myles Allen. The report proper is far more sober minded and is mostly a rehash of AR5. Even now they can't settle for a value of ECS and TCR, even though Nic Lewis and Judith Curry have no such qualms.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10....LI-D-17-0667.1

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    There is a vast difference between the 33 page Summary for Policymakers which is mostly written by activists and pseudo-scientists. In fact I can only see one out of the 91 contributors I recognise and that is Myles Allen. The report proper is far more sober minded and is mostly a rehash of AR5. Even now they can't settle for a value of ECS and TCR, even though Nic Lewis and Judith Curry have no such qualms.

https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10....LI-D-17-0667.1
    Anything else I can assist you with?

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Call out!

The United Nations Intergovernmental Panel On Climate Change’s (IPCC) newly-released climate report, once again, found little to no evidence global warming caused many types of extreme weather events to increase. “The IPCC once again reports that there is little basis for claiming that drought, floods, hurricanes, tornadoes have increased, much less increased due to” greenhouse gases, University of Colorado professor Roger Pielke, Jr. tweeted Sunday night.

For example, the IPCC’s report noted that “there is only low confidence regarding changes in global tropical cyclone numbers under global warming over the last four decades.” Pielke pointed out this inconvenient data. Much like the IPCC’s 2013 climate assessment, the new special report confirmed what Pielke and others have said for years about the relationship between global warming and extreme weather.

But don’t expect to hear that from many other media outlets, especially those that often cite individual weather events as evidence of man-made warming. For example, The Washington Post’s write-up of the IPCC’s report focused on the mainline findings — namely, that “the world is woefully off target” to keep future global warming below 1.5 degrees Celsius.

The New York Times highlighted the IPCC’s warning of “a world of worsening food shortages and wildfires, and a mass die-off of coral reefs as soon as 2040.” Neither WaPo nor NYT mentioned the report’s findings on extreme weather. The IPCC’s new report is meant to sound the alarm on global warming ahead of the UN climate summit, which is to be held in Poland this December. Delegates are expected to make further commitments to implement the Paris climate accord that calls for limiting future warming below 2 degrees Celsius by 2100.

Aside from dire predictions, however, the IPCC’s new report also noted that many types of extreme weather events are not getting worse. When it comes to droughts, for example, the IPCC admits there is “low confidence in the sign of drought trends since 1950 at global scale. The report says there are “likely to be trends in some regions of the world,” including increasing droughts in the Mediterranean and decreasing droughts in parts of North America.

The IPCC also noted there is “low confidence due to limited evidence, however, that anthropogenic climate change has affected the frequency and the magnitude of floods.” The report added that “streamflow trends since 1950 are non-statistically significant in most of the world’s largest rivers.”

https://www.thegwpf.com/ipcc-report-...getting-worse/
    I travel softly through the night. Yep, I'm one of those.

I am> "the unconquerable will,
    And study of revenge, immortal hate,
    And courage never to submit or yield." (to rwnuts.)

"Indelible"

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsupkid View Post
    So you are disagreeing with the IPCC, is that right?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Lightbringer (10-14-2018)

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 29 Times in 29 Posts
    Blog Entries

So you are disagreeing with the IPCC, is that right?

yes. I have just lived through the most hot summer of my long life and seen disastrous hurricanes that set new records. Experience is hard to beat.
    the school of hard knocks is where i got my education.
    I travel softly through the night. Yep, I'm one of those.

I am> "the unconquerable will,
    And study of revenge, immortal hate,
    And courage never to submit or yield." (to rwnuts.)

"Indelible"

10. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thumbsupkid View Post
    yes. I have just lived through the most hot summer of my long life and seen disastrous hurricanes that set new records. Experience is hard to beat.
    the school of hard knocks is where i got my education.
    Anecdotal evidence is not science, that's why historical weather records are kept. It is a fact that most of the states maximum temperatures happened in the first half of the 20th century. According to the World Meteorological Organisation (WMO), the highest temperature ever recorded was 56.7 °C (134.1 °F) on 10 July 1913 in Furnace Creek (Greenland Ranch), California, USA.

Here is a table with every state, go see for yourself.

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What...in_the_u_s.htm

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

The link's source hot links a source that isn't even the report, but a denier book. I am not sure this was much of an effort at journalism on the part of the OP article.

That said, maybe maybe not. I suspect some of it is that people are just moving into areas where these things happen that people didn't pay attention to when not so many people lived there.

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    The link's source hot links a source that isn't even the report, but a denier book. I am not sure this was much of an effort at journalism on the part of the OP article.

That said, maybe maybe not. I suspect some of it is that people are just moving into areas where these things happen that people didn't pay attention to when not so many people lived there.
    There are essentially three tribes in the climate wars, I belong to the first.

Lukewarmers: focus on the verified possibilities.

Consensus/IPCC types: focus on the unverified possibilities generated by climate models.

Alarmists: focus on impossible scenarios and/or borderline impossible as ‘expected’ scenarios, or worthy of justifying precautionary avoidance of emitting CO2.

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,426 Times in 5,873 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,512 Times in 6,255 Posts
    Blog Entries

You've omitted ' Victims ', maggot. It's your capitalist blinkering.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Post:

Rune (10-14-2018)

15. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,763 Times in 27,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,589 Times in 18,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

16. The Following 2 Users Groan At evince For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-14-2018), tinfoil (10-14-2018)

17. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Rex Murphy on the IPCC: you can’t have plural doomsdays – you only get one

The UN climate-change panel that cried wolf too often

You can’t set multiple deadlines for Doomsday. It’s a kind of one-off by nature. Do it too often and people cease to take notice or even care.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/10/...-only-get-one/

18. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,931 Times in 5,908 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 444 Times in 424 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are essentially three tribes in the climate wars, I belong to the first.

Lukewarmers: focus on the verified possibilities.

Consensus/IPCC types: focus on the unverified possibilities generated by climate models.

Alarmists: focus on impossible scenarios and/or borderline impossible as ‘expected’ scenarios, or worthy of justifying precautionary avoidance of emitting CO2.
    Impossible scenarios ? No.
    More like complete lack of scientific justification, violating proven laws of thermodynamics, failure of predictions to come to pass, observable verifiable science showing otherwise and as if that were not enough, constant fudging of numbers.

19. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,763 Times in 27,238 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,589 Times in 18,178 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    https://www.nationalobserver.com/201...tarctic-waters

For the first time, scientists prove human activity is the top cause of warming Antarctic waters
    By Kelsey Litwin in News, Energy, Politics | September 25th 2018
    science says you are a moron liar

20. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (10-14-2018)