Thread: CAPITAL PUNISHMENT

1. #256 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,173 Times in 10,391 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,876 Times in 4,194 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    What's considered humane or inhumane by the justice system couldn't be less relevant in a philosophical debate.
    The justice department being the arbiter is pretty much what's being debated.
    The people must establish the standards that the justice department follows.

To me, it all comes down to whether or not vengeance is a state function.
    My view is based on the belief that it isn't.
    My view is that protection of the public is the applicable state function.

Humane euthanasia of a sociopath who's unlikely to be capable of being rehabilitated
    is the most civilized and most efficient way to protect the public from recidivist crime.
    At the very least, being humanely euthanized is an option that should be offered to
    any convict given a lengthy prison sentence.

As for any Old Testament quoting "Christians" looking to punish people for being criminally insane,
    I'm entirely in favor of putting them down, too--involuntarily.
    They, after all, are incurably crazy as well.

Even the innocent ones, huh? Frank avoids the answer. What is the acceptable error rate for capital punishment?

5%?
    3%?
    1%?

2. #257 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by domer76 View Post
    Frankie, you’re being stubbornly stupid. Courts have ruled that LWOP is not cruel punishment. You know, cruel, a synonym for inhumane. You do know what a synonym is, don’t you? And, you have yet to find anything that says otherwise, have you? Then, case closed, Frankie. Move on.
    Excuse me for laughing. Don't get me wrong...I am not laughing with you, I am laughing at you.

Your "case closed" is another of those many claims of victory you make each time you post. Richard Nixon was into that. You remind me of him. At some point, I hope you start dealing with what I have actually written here.

You do have a tough time actually dealing with what has been written, don't you!

For the millionth time, LWOP is not torture. Quit demonstrating your stupidity on this.
    Hyperbole will get you nowhere.

IT IS MY OPINION THAT LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE IS INHUMANE...

...MORE INHUMANE BY FAR THAN CAPITAL PUNISHMENT.

And if it makes you feel better about yourself and your life to suppose I am stupid...so be it. I want you to be happy.

Innocents die all the time. Accidents. Disease. Many unpreventable. Capital punishment of an innocent is in a league by itself. It’s easily preventable.
    So is death by murderers.

But you see the spiral that could cause.

Now...if your devotion to liberalism is such that you are forced to defend this absurd notion of yours...continue.

I am enjoying the back and forth...and the way you have to call me stupid, ignorant...and to claim victories.

Those are all indications of an amateur at this sort of thing.

I figure I am helping you improve...although it looks like it may take a while in your case.

Frankie, you continue to demonstrate a massive ignorance and an incredible inability to grasp these concepts. Really now Go get some cognitive tests for dementia.
    If that kind of nonsense helps you to feel better about yourself and your life...keep at it. I want you to feel as comfortable as possible.

Frankie, I’ve kicked your ass and allowed you to embarrass yourself enough on this subject. Educate yourself, because I’ve failed to do it for you.
    I have not embarrassed myself.

I am educated on this subject.

You are not even close to kicking my ass on it...you are simply being a liberal exhibiting a liberal imperative.

No problem. You amuse me...so we apparently are both having fun.

3. #258 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What's considered humane or inhumane by the justice system couldn't be less relevant in a philosophical debate.
    The justice department being the arbiter is pretty much what's being debated.
    The people must establish the standards that the justice department follows.

To me, it all comes down to whether or not vengeance is a state function.
    My view is based on the belief that it isn't.
    My view is that protection of the public is the applicable state function.

Humane euthanasia of a sociopath who's unlikely to be capable of being rehabilitated
    is the most civilized and most efficient way to protect the public from recidivist crime.
    At the very least, being humanely euthanized is an option that should be offered to
    any convict given a lengthy prison sentence.

As for any Old Testament quoting "Christians" looking to punish people for being criminally insane,
    I'm entirely in favor of putting them down, too--involuntarily.
    They, after all, are incurably crazy as well.
    Don't even bother with him, Nifty.

He's operating from out in left field.

He wants justice to be perfect...to have no errors.

And he is squeamish about the death penalty. I suspect it speaks to his mortality...and his fears of death. (He'll undoubtedly claim that he has no fear of death!)

Justice truly is blind...and good that it is. Because it is seldom even close to perfect.

Domer would have all those prisoners languish in prison for all their lives...because a few might be innocent...and found to be innocent after only 40 years in prison.

Poor Domer. Death is such a fright for him.

And for him...keeping a fellow human caged up in a cell for the entire of his/her life...IS NOT INHUMANE!

Go figure.

4. #259 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

All punishments are ineffective deterrents to those who commit vicious violent crimes because those criminals are almost never sane.
    Humane euthanasia as opposed to punitive execution is neither deterrent nor punishment.
    It's expediency.
    It removes unrehabilitable sociopaths from society in the most humane possible way.

That's the first reform required.
    Next is an outright ban on private, for profit prisons.
    Their very existence defines us as an inferior, uncivilized culture.

I'd personally love to toss every Trumpanzee in America into one of those sick private prisons, but that wouldn't make it right.
    Euthanizing the assholes would be far more humane.
    You make good points but often ruin them by tossing in a lot of crazy.

5. #260 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Ninety-five to ninety-seven percent of all criminal charges end with plea bargains.

6. #261 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    Ninety-five to ninety-seven percent of all criminal charges end with plea bargains.
    You do understand why right?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

7. #262 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    You do understand why right?
    Yes, but there can be other factors, such as prosecutors over-charging. In criminal defense most anything can be considered a victory. Having multiple charges dropped or reduced are all considered victories.

8. #263 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,335 Times in 22,664 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,239 Times in 2,979 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    Yes, but there can be other factors, such as prosecutors over-charging. In criminal defense most anything can be considered a victory. Having multiple charges dropped or reduced are all considered victories.
    It is in the interest of the courts and prosecutors to negotiate terms with the perps. It unclogs the system. If they were to prosecute every case, they would shut down the court system. It has NOTHING to do with race or income.

Many cases end when a jury has been selected and the guilty party decides it would be better to negotiate than to go to trial.
    Last edited by Truth Detector; 10-16-2018 at 03:56 PM.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

9. #264 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    It is in the interest of the courts and prosecutors to negotiate terms with the perps. It unclogs the system. If they were to prosecute every case, they would shut down the court system. It has NOTHING to do with race or income.
    I agree. Imagine if everyone insisted on a full jury trial.

10. #265 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

I just can't fix your massive stupidity

I couldn't do it on "big plants! big bugs". I can't do it here.
    So once again, you have nothing.
    SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

11. #266 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Take it up with the National Academy of Sciences, dumbfuck. I'm sure they'll give your opinion all the consideration it deserves.

http://www.pnas.org/content/111/20/7230

12. #267 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,432 Times in 12,044 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,699 Times in 1,647 Posts
    Blog Entries

Take it up with the National Academy of Sciences, dumbfuck. I'm sure they'll give your opinion all the consideration it deserves.

SEDITION: incitement of resistance to or insurrection against lawful authority.

13. #268 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USFREEDOM911 View Post
    Have a literate person write them a letter for you. They'll give it great weight, I'm sure.

With an error rate at trial over 4%, it is all but certain that several of the 1,320 defendants executed since 1977 were innocent

14. #269 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

The death penalty is going to end. The right has forced America to drag its feet on this issue for decades and avoid the inevitable. They are incredibly stubborn. In the end you're just delaying. It is not an effective or practical practice in the modern world. That's just the facts.

If you want to have a quick death penalty, which would be useful as a deterrent, you have to not give a shit about executing innocent people. In our nation which is governed by rule of law, that is unacceptable. So we thoroughly examine and reexamine and reexamine each death penalty case over like two decades before the execution actually happens to weed out as many innocent people as possible, and we still execute innocent people occasionally. But a death penalty with a two decade delay like that in which we weed out as many innocents as possible is useless as a deterrent anyway, and the forcibly hurried investigations due to the obvious time sensitive nature imposed by the death penalty makes them incredibly expensive.

The penalty only continues to exist for one reason, because it just makes some people feel good. Because they are stubborn. It is the sign of a decadent and decaying society that they were able to block the inevitable for so long, that they were catered to rather than the rule of law, reason, and justice.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

iolo (10-17-2018)

16. #270 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by White privilege is real View Post
    The death penalty is going to end. The right has forced America to drag its feet on this issue for decades and avoid the inevitable. They are incredibly stubborn. In the end you're just delaying. It is not an effective or practical practice in the modern world. That's just the facts.

If you want to have a quick death penalty, which would be useful as a deterrent, you have to not give a shit about executing innocent people. In our nation which is governed by rule of law, that is unacceptable. So we thoroughly examine and reexamine and reexamine each death penalty case over like two decades before the execution actually happens to weed out as many innocent people as possible, and we still execute innocent people occasionally. But a death penalty with a two decade delay like that in which we weed out as many innocents as possible is useless as a deterrent anyway, and the forcibly hurried investigations due to the obvious time sensitive nature imposed by the death penalty makes them incredibly expensive.

The penalty only continues to exist for one reason, because it just makes some people feel good. Because they are stubborn. It is the sign of a decadent and decaying society that they were able to block the inevitable for so long, that they were catered to rather than the rule of law, reason, and justice.
    If the alternative to the death penalty continues to be "life in prison without the possibility of parole"...

...and we abolish the death penalty...

...we will have become a MUCH MORE barbaric society than we are now.

That is something the anti-death penalty people have GOT TO DEAL WITH...or you are going nowhere.

Executing people because they are a danger to society may be a bit barbaric...BUT keeping people caged forever because they are a danger to society...is fucking barbarism on a cosmic scale.

THAT is the problem with all this "do away with the death penalty" nonsense.