Thread: Name that book.

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default Name that book.

I'm guessing that many of you remember a book that you read many years ago. You can't remember the title or the author, and you remember very little about the plot or characters. But you remember that you loved it and would love to read it again...if you could just remember the damn title.

Well, this thread is for you. Give whatever details you remember about your book. Maybe someone can name it. Good luck.

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,238 Times in 7,656 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grugore View Post
    I'm guessing that many of you remember a book that you read many years ago. You can't remember the title or the author, and you remember very little about the plot or characters. But you remember that you loved it and would love to read it again...if you could just remember the damn title.

Well, this thread is for you. Give whatever details you remember about your book. Maybe someone can name it. Good luck.
    Very inventive, Grugore.

A terrific idea.

I don't have one right now, but I am sure some people here will.

My compliments.

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I guess I'll start things off. The book had a female protagonist who as drawn into an alternate reality that consists of many worlds that were arranged in layers. You could travel between worlds by means of some kind of magical elevator or something. Not clear on the mechanics, but I do remember the that they could watch the worlds go by, while they stood still. One thing I do remember for sure is that the female protagonist, near the end of the book I think, was magically rendered permanently fat, and was also compelled to be perpetually pregnant. Does any of this ring any bells?

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

There was a book I read in the 70’s that was popular at the time about a child who was being raised by an abusive relative who locked the child up in an attic for years and how the child survived the abuse by living in a world of imagination. I can’t remember the title or the author but it was comparable in popularity to The Outsiders, by S. E. Hinton at the time.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 10-08-2018 at 05:52 PM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

5. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    There was a book I read in the 70’s that was popular at the time about a child who was being raised by an abusive relative who locked the child up in an attic for years and how the child survived the abuse by living in a world of imagination. I can’t remember the title or the author but it was comparable in popularity to The Outsiders, by S. E. Hinton at the time.
    Well shit. There are a lot of books like that. Was it flowers in the attic?

6. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How about boy in the attic? Was it fiction or nonfiction?

7. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Well shit. There are a lot of books like that. Was it flowers in the attic?
    Holy shit that’s it! After I posted it I remembered why it was so popular. It was four kids locked in an attic of a mansion with an evil grandmother who tried to poison them and there’s an incest scene. Is that Flowers in the Attic?

I remember it was the only book my older brother recommended that I ever read. I didn’t think much of it at the time cause I was already reading adult literature by then and I thought it was kiddy stuff.
    Last edited by Mott the Hoople; 10-08-2018 at 06:15 PM.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

8. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Holy shit that’s it! After I posted it I remembered why it was so popular. It was four kids locked in an attic of a mansion with an evil grandmother who tried to poison them and there’s an incest scene. Is that Flowers in the Attic?

I remember it was the only book my older brother recommended that I ever read. I didn’t think much of it at the time cause I was already reading adult literature by then and I thought it was kiddy stuff.
    In 1957, the Dollanganger family lives an idyllic life in Gladstone, Pennsylvania until Mr. Dollangager dies in a car accident, leaving his wife Corrine deep in debt with four children and no professional skills. The family is forced to move in with Corrine's wealthy parents, with whom she is estranged. Upon arrival at Foxworth Hall, the family is greeted coldly by Corrine's mother Olivia, who sneaks them into a small bedroom connected to the attic. Only Corrine is allowed in the grand estate, as the children remain hidden from their grandfather Malcolm.

The older children, Cathy and Chris, attempt to make the best of the situation for their younger siblings, twins Carrie and Cory, by turning the attic into an imaginary garden. Yet the children learn the truth of their terrible new fate, as Olivia treats them with disdain and threatens to severely punish them for any disobedience. Corrine returns from meeting with her parents, having been savagely whipped by Olivia. She confesses that the children's dead father was her half-uncle, her father's half-brother, and the incest is the cause of her and her parents' estrangement. Corrine plans to win back her father's love, hoping to introduce the children to him soon.

At first, Corrine visits her children daily, sometimes bringing expensive gifts. Yet the grandmother emotionally and physically abuses the children, constantly threatening to whip them for any acts she considers "sinful". At Christmastime, Corrine allows Cathy and Chris to watch the ball at Foxworth Hall from a hiding spot, where they see their grandfather for the first time and also see their mother with Bart Winslow, Malcolm's attorney. Their mother's visits become less frequent as she grows detached, eventually slapping Chris and threatening to whip them. Despite her apologies and promises to make amends, Cathy worries their mother has changed and no longer cares for them.

A year later, Cathy and Chris have both entered puberty and adopted parental roles with Carrie and Cory, who no longer recognize Corrine. While Cathy and Chris are both entering adulthood, the twins' physical growth is stunted from a lack of adequate nutrition, sunlight and fresh air. Despite personal shame, Cathy and Chris develop physical attraction toward each other. Olivia catches Chris staring at a half-dressed Cathy and orders him to cut off Cathy's hair. Chris refuses, and Olivia abandons them for three weeks, driving them to near-starvation. When Cathy cuts her own hair, meals resume and now include sugared doughnuts as a surprise.

Corrine visits for the first time in six months, returning from her wedding and European honeymoon with Bart. Cathy and Chris react angrily, but relent when Corrine threatens to never visit again. The older children plan to escape, sneaking into the house to steal money and valuables from their mother's room. One night, Cathy discovers her sleeping stepfather and kisses him. When Chris learns of the act, he is enraged and rapes Cathy. He apologizes after, and Cathy forgives him by saying she wanted it too.

Cory becomes sick and Corrine agrees to take him to the hospital only after threats from Cathy. The next day, Corrine returns and tells them Cory died, allegedly from pneumonia. Without warning, their mother and Bart move out. Eavesdropping on the servants, Chris learns that Malcolm died and Olivia is now leaving out doughnuts sprinkled with rat poison in an attempt to clear the attic's "mouse" infestation. The three remaining children finally flee, catching a train to Florida.

At the train station, Chris reveals he discovered Corrine's inheritance is conditional on her having no descendants, and she was poisoning them to secure her father's wealth. Chris and Cathy decide against contacting the police as their main concern is to stay together and protect Carrie who is still a minor. Chris assures Cathy that they can make a new life without their mother, but Cathy swears to exact revenge one day

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Grugore For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (10-08-2018)

10. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 72 Posts

The book had a crazy guy named Yossarian,by the end of the book,it turned out Yossarian was the only sane one left.

11. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Frank View Post
    The book had a crazy guy named Yossarian,by the end of the book,it turned out Yossarian was the only sane one left.
    Catch 22

12. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 72 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Catch 22
    "That's some Catch"!