Members banned from this thread: ThatOwlWoman

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Corroboration is not required?? Seriously??

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,760 Times in 4,510 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 185 Times in 181 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    Good points; yet the irony here is that Kavanaugh was NEVER accused of any rapes. Interesting how people keep claiming that; and not by accident.
    Actually, several posters said he was guilty of sexual assault and rape falls under sexual assault and frequently referred to him as a rapist.

At the time the most serious thing he could have been charged with was attempted rape which was only a misdemeanor with a one-year statute of limitations (since changed). Since he never removed any of her clothes it is hard to prove what he intended to do.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Actually, several posters said he was guilty of sexual assault and rape falls under sexual assault and frequently referred to him as a rapist.
    Several?

I know of one. Can you name two?

At the time the most serious thing he could have been charged with was attempted rape which was only a misdemeanor with a one-year statute of limitations (since changed). Since he never removed any of her clothes it is hard to prove what he intended to do.
    It was an alleged assault...actually alleged assault and battery, because the allegation contained a push.

A decent prosecutor could work Unlawful detention into the charges.

WHATEVER!

It should have been thoroughly investigated.

Your side managed to prevent it from being thoroughly investigated.

Proof, among other things, that elections have consequences.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    You are correct, Flash. Sometimes they don't.

MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more often...they do...and the accusations are real.

I suggest...DON'T "BELIEVE" EITHER WAY.

Investigate.

THOROUGHLY.

VERY THOROUGHLY.

The FBI did not interview Ford.

I suspect that was because someone did not want them to interview Kavanaugh...which they would have had to do if they interviewed Ford.

All I would ask for...is a thorough investigation.
    I think a real investigation after all this time would not have proven anything. If 100 friends testified he drank often and blacked out is no evidence whatsoever that he committed sexual assault.

I never attempted to conclude whether either of them was telling the truth but that if she was telling the truth did it disqualify him from the court due to his age and many years of professional and judicial experience with no reports of drinking problems or sexual misconduct by any of his fellow workers. I did the same thing with Clarence Thomas.

4. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,245 Times in 7,658 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,055 Times in 1,002 Posts

I think a real investigation after all this time would not have proven anything. If 100 friends testified he drank often and blacked out is no evidence whatsoever that he committed sexual assault.
    Not looking for proof. Looking for facts that might make one side or the other more likely to be the truth.

I never attempted to conclude whether either of them was telling the truth but that if she was telling the truth did it disqualify him from the court due to his age and many years of professional and judicial experience with no reports of drinking problems or sexual misconduct by any of his fellow workers. I did the same thing with Clarence Thomas.
    If she was telling the truth...HE WAS LYING TO CONGRESS WHILE BEING VETTED FOR A SPOT ON OUR TOP COURT, Flash.

THAT, in my opinion, WOULD BE DISQUALIFYING.

It should have been thoroughly investigated.

It wasn't.

5. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't care what they said, the irony here is that Kavanaugh was NEVER accused of any rapes. Interesting how people keep claiming that; and not by accident.
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

6. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Several?

I know of one. Can you name two?
    Micawber
    Evince
    White Privilege is Real
    Reagansghost

I quit searching at four.

7. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Truth Detector View Post
    I don't care what they said, the irony here is that Kavanaugh was NEVER accused of any rapes. Interesting how people keep claiming that; and not by accident.
    No, he was never accused of rape, but certainly you are not just now realizing posters will say anything to win points against the other side and be tacky, hostile, and hateful.

It is like the crazy claims Obama was born in Kenya and a Muslim or Dr. Ford was being paid to lie. People will say anything--sadly, they believe a lot of it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Flash For This Post:

Frank Apisa (10-10-2018)

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Your side managed to prevent it from being thoroughly investigated.
    They are not my side. But I did think a thorough investigation was no more than a delay tactic.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,832 Times in 17,264 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,598 Times in 4,276 Posts

Sometimes it never happened:

Tawana Brawley rape
    Duke La Crosse rape
    Rolling Stone University of Virginia fraternity rape
    California child care workers

Everybody believed the accused was guilty until the accuser turned out to be lying.

In the Rolling Stone case people argued that those kinds of sexual assaults do occur so although that particular event did not occur it was ok to write about them.
    less than 2 percent did not happen. not exactly good odds for brett

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 27,477 Times in 22,782 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,245 Times in 2,985 Posts
    Blog Entries

No, he was never accused of rape, but certainly you are not just now realizing posters will say anything to win points against the other side and be tacky, hostile, and hateful.

It is like the crazy claims Obama was born in Kenya and a Muslim or Dr. Ford was being paid to lie. People will say anything--sadly, they believe a lot of it.
    A claim that someone is born someplace else or a Muslim as being equivalency of being accused of sexual assault is beyond merely stupid. Is that where you want to go? Seriously? Dumbass?
    "When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny."

A lie doesn't become the truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it is accepted by a majority.
    Author: Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Unless you just can't stand the idea of "ni**ers" teaching white kids.

Quote Originally Posted by AProudLefty View Post
    Address the topic, not other posters.

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

She has nothing to gain, just doing her civic duty. Why woulda private person with no political or finacial gain lie and go through all that trouble. there are lots of rightys who never heard of her before but now hate her guts.
    Bret has a seat on the Supremes to get. He would and did lie his ass off. He has a motive to lie. Ford had none.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 35 Times in 34 Posts

Idiot
    Because Kavanaugh had a few beers during his high school and college days is not the issue.
    The issue is did Kavanaugh sexual assault Ford.
    The people Ford says was at this alleged party were all interviewed. None supported her including her best friend.
    The fact Kavanaugh got drunk in high school and college is irrelevant to the case. Go to law school because you know shit.
    The fact some women in the MeToo movement were sexually assault is also irrelevant to this case.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He was never accused of anything until he tried for the Supremes. then his background was checked. Ford had experience with him and wanted to tell all. Not rape, but perhaps attempted rape. At a minimum violent abuse of a woman.
    Ford had a comfortable college position . She has much to lose and nothing to gain.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    less than 2 percent did not happen. not exactly good odds for brett
    I know not many accusations are false, but that is because prosecutors choose to prosecute those cases with good evidence that can get a jury conviction beyond a reasonable doubt.

When there is no evidence it makes a much more questionable case. If there had been no statute of limitations I seriously doubt the DA would have pursued this case.

Even DNA can be questionable. I know of a case where a woman regularly bought gas near where she worked and got to know the two men who worked at the station. She accused them of rape and they went to prison. They later did a DNA test and found semen stains on her painties did not belong to either man and they were released. Since she knew the men well she was sure they were the rapists. It turned out she had sex with her boyfriend earlier that day and the DNA that did not match belonged to her boyfriend.

I recently learned that a twin that dies in the womb can be absorbed by the other (non-identical) twin and can have two different sets of DNA depending on where they take the sample. I forgot what it is called.

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Tkaffen View Post
    Idiot
    Because Kavanaugh had a few beers during his high school and college days is not the issue.
    The issue is did Kavanaugh sexual assault Ford.
    The people Ford says was at this alleged party were all interviewed. None supported her including her best friend.
    The fact Kavanaugh got drunk in high school and college is irrelevant to the case. Go to law school because you know shit.
    The fact some women in the MeToo movement were sexually assault is also irrelevant to this case.
    few beers.? Super beer drinker and drank to blackouts.
    Many people wanted to speak to the FBI about his way overboard drinking and disrespect for women. trumps people did not allow that. Why not? must be a reason and it isn't good. His regular activities would have shown his tendencies and made her story more likely and more believable.
    I am sure some reporters are going to pursue the stories. then we will all know for sure.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nordberg For This Post:

Frank Apisa (10-10-2018), Phantasmal (10-09-2018)