Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tweeking the CFP

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Default Tweeking the CFP

I was reading some ideas on tweeking the CFP to make it better with out expanding it. The one I liked the best was based on a point system.

Before I explain it let’s go over what we’d want to accomplish.

Have a true national championship. Originally the CFP was intended to give conference championships heavy weight when selecting teams. It only took two years for a rogue committee to undermine that intention and send us back to National Championship by proxy.

Determine playoff teams on the field and not the committee room.

Eliminate subjective polls in the selection process.

Maintain the most meaningful regular season in team sports.

Make non-conference games meaningful to eliminate scheduling disparities.

Place more weight on division and conference championships.

The point system would be fairly simple. Each team wins a point for each victory during the regular season. For each victory against a top 5 conference team an additional point is awarded.

In addition a division champion is awarded 3 additional points and a conference champion is awarded 5 additional points.

This system would punish teams that schedule four weak mid majors as non-conference games and punishes teams that don’t play a conference championship game, as they should be, for playing one less game.

The question of a tie breaker comes up but some objective criteria can be used for that.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anonymoose (09-27-2018), leaningright (09-23-2018), Phantasmal (09-23-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,551 Times in 2,991 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Lol...sounds good to me. My team is usually decent but not a serious contender for the NC due to a lack of a consistent (sometimes one has to question even its existence) defense. But it does seem that one conference gets a bye when it comes to the selection process. As my boy said yesterday, if a team loses twice in the regular season they are out of the picture as far as the NC is concerned ... unless they are from the SEC. He’s already figured it out.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to leaningright For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-23-2018)

5. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,194 Times in 33,876 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Lol...sounds good to me. My team is usually decent but not a serious contender for the NC due to a lack of a consistent (sometimes one has to question even its existence) defense. But it does seem that one conference gets a bye when it comes to the selection process. As my boy said yesterday, if a team loses twice in the regular season they are out of the picture as far as the NC is concerned ... unless they are from the SEC. He’s already figured it out.
    My team is not good at football, I never have to worry if they will make it into the playoffs. I need to adopt a Texas team.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

leaningright (09-23-2018)

7. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

I don’t think we can eliminate all subjective criteria. Even in the major conferences, the power teams vary from year to year. And there should be some weight given to quality wins. The point system you suggest would give the same weight (for Ohio State) for a win over Rutgers as a win over Penn State or Michigan. Michigan would have gotten a point for beating Nebraska. Nebraska is 0-3. And Michigan will get a single point if they beat Ohio State.

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    I don’t think we can eliminate all subjective criteria. Even in the major conferences, the power teams vary from year to year. And there should be some weight given to quality wins. The point system you suggest would give the same weight (for Ohio State) for a win over Rutgers as a win over Penn State or Michigan. Michigan would have gotten a point for beating Nebraska. Nebraska is 0-3. And Michigan will get a single point if they beat Ohio State.
    It also punishes teams whose games get canceled like WVU due to hurricanes and such. I think there needs to be some other factor. Not sure which one. perhaps a formula that includes points difference (with weight in favor of smaller differences instead of blow outs) . Not sure.

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    I was reading some ideas on tweeking the CFP to make it better with out expanding it. The one I liked the best was based on a point system.

Before I explain it let’s go over what we’d want to accomplish.

Have a true national championship. Originally the CFP was intended to give conference championships heavy weight when selecting teams. It only took two years for a rogue committee to undermine that intention and send us back to National Championship by proxy.

Determine playoff teams on the field and not the committee room.

Eliminate subjective polls in the selection process.

Maintain the most meaningful regular season in team sports.

Make non-conference games meaningful to eliminate scheduling disparities.

Place more weight on division and conference championships.

The point system would be fairly simple. Each team wins a point for each victory during the regular season. For each victory against a top 5 conference team an additional point is awarded.

In addition a division champion is awarded 3 additional points and a conference champion is awarded 5 additional points.

This system would punish teams that schedule four weak mid majors as non-conference games and punishes teams that don’t play a conference championship game, as they should be, for playing one less game.

The question of a tie breaker comes up but some objective criteria can be used for that.
    16 team playoff bracket. Problem solved.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Guille View Post
    16 team playoff bracket. Problem solved.
    Only if winning your conference is an automatic bid.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Lightbringer (09-26-2018)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

FBS, ten conferences. 6 at-large bids.

Works for me

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightbringer For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (09-26-2018)

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Works for me
    What worries me about 6 at large bid is what's to keep them from stacking the playoff with 7 SEC teams?

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

What worries me about 6 at large bid is what's to keep them from stacking the playoff with 7 SEC teams?
    Don't worry about it, you know they will

They should do it the same way they with FCS, D2 and D3 but yeah, you know Bama is in no matter what.

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I disagree. The best thing about the CFP Committee is that they work to put the best teams in the playoffs.

In 2015 Ohio State finished the regular season 11-1. Florida finished the regular season 10-2. OSU didn't play in their conference championship and Florida did. If the Gators had beaten Alabama, they would have been in the playoffs with 2 losses. OSU would have been locked out with 1 loss.

In 2013 Stanford was the PAC12 conference champion. They finished the year with a record of 11-3.

Winning a conference does not mean you are one of the top 6 to 8 teams in the country. And THAT is was should count.

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I disagree. The best thing about the CFP Committee is that they work to put the best teams in the playoffs.

In 2015 Ohio State finished the regular season 11-1. Florida finished the regular season 10-2. OSU didn't play in their conference championship and Florida did. If the Gators had beaten Alabama, they would have been in the playoffs with 2 losses. OSU would have been locked out with 1 loss.

In 2013 Stanford was the PAC12 conference champion. They finished the year with a record of 11-3.

Winning a conference does not mean you are one of the top 6 to 8 teams in the country. And THAT is was should count.
    I have to disagree with you on this. Conference champions should be in regardless. If the committee wants to play stupid little games with the at-large bids then fine but when you only have 4 teams in the "playoff" a team who couldn't even win their own division shouldn't be in.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Works for me
    First of all, I doubt they will ever go to a 16 team playoff.

And to answer Mott's comment, they will not put 7 SEC teams in. That is ridiculous.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I have to disagree with you on this. Conference champions should be in regardless. If the committee wants to play stupid little games with the at-large bids then fine but when you only have 4 teams in the "playoff" a team who couldn't even win their own division shouldn't be in.
    So Independent schools should never play in the playoffs?

So a Power 5 team with a better season than a conference champion should be excluded?

No, I disagree.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

First of all, I doubt they will ever go to a 16 team playoff.
    I doubt they will too but they should.