Page 24 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526272834 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2018 - minus the troll

1. #346 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Notre Dame has a unique scheduling system. If BYU (also independent) played the same schedule, with the same level of success, it would be ranked #3. As I stated above, we only just achieved this playoff system in 2014. We only achieved the BCS playoff system in 1998. We will eventually add at least four more teams.
    What is so unique about Notre Dame's schedule? They are locked into a number of ACC games, a few traditional rivals, and one or two big games, not a whole lot different than some those schools even within the power five conferences

If it even gets to eight teams it won't be for another decade, and that will be it, eight is a controllable number for those that rule the nest, as I mentioned, you aren't going to get a Loyola of Chicago with eight teams

2. #347 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,674 Times in 14,047 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    What is so unique about Notre Dame's schedule? They are locked into a number of ACC games, a few traditional rivals, and one or two big games, not a whole lot different than some those schools even within the power five conferences

If it even gets to eight teams it won't be for another decade, and that will be it, eight is a controllable number for those that rule the nest, as I mentioned, you aren't going to get a Loyola of Chicago with eight teams
    Notre Dame has certainly watered down its schedule by getting locked-into that ACC deal. That said, it basically treats half of those conference games as the lesser opponents, the same way that those opponents would schedule FCS opponents.

You are being a whiny child about the state of the playoff. College football began in 1869, and we just got to a fucking four-team playoff in 2014. I don't even know how long it took to broker the BCS championship game in 1998. A decade of progress would represent the NCAA sprinting at lightspeed.

3. #348 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

It’s not. By any objective measure ND should not be in the playoff and are by far the most over rated team in the CFP.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Lightbringer (12-10-2018)

5. #349 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

The problem with the CFP isn’t with the CFP it’s the selection committee. When you look over the data you find an alarming level of confirmation bias for the SEC and the ACC. The SEC bias is somewhat understandable at the very top end of the conference. The bias for the ACC is inexplicable, unless there is an outside influencer, as it is the weakest of the big five conferences. The Big Ten is the obvious victim of this bias the last two years and Big 10 fans have justifiable reasons to be pissed. As the second strongest conference this year (they were the strongest conference last year) they have been locked out of the CFP two years in a row. The evidence of bias is obvious when you compare computer polling data (FPI and Sagarin). When you look at computer rankings and compare them to the CFP rankings it becomes clear that the four teams selected should have been Al, Clem, OSU and OK based on won loss record, conference championship and strength of schedule. If you want an example of confirmation bias UGA would be it. They had the weakest schedule of any top ten team, two loses, no conference championship and no wins against top ten teams. OSU had a better record, played a tougher schedule, won their conference championship and defeated two top ten teams. The CFP still ranked UGA ahead of OSU. This my friends is what confirmation bias looks like and it’s why the CFP committee has to go. This the third year in a row that confirmation bias has influenced the CFP. They need to get rid of the committee and change it to an earn it on the field format.

Joel Klat gives an excellent break down of bias in the CFP.

You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

Lightbringer (12-10-2018)

7. #350 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Notre Dame has certainly watered down its schedule by getting locked-into that ACC deal. That said, it basically treats half of those conference games as the lesser opponents, the same way that those opponents would schedule FCS opponents.

You are being a whiny child about the state of the playoff. College football began in 1869, and we just got to a fucking four-team playoff in 2014. I don't even know how long it took to broker the BCS championship game in 1998. A decade of progress would represent the NCAA sprinting at lightspeed.
    College football was never dominated by so few in those hundred and fifty years. One of the only reasons they went to the BCS game was because they couldn't control the polls that determined the champion, didn't serve their interests to have a Boise State or BYU screwing things up.

Expanding the playoffs is doubtful, doing it like they do the other divisions ain't ever going happen, too much money and control involved, the last thing the Power Five players want is anything near what the Basketball presents and a Loyala of Chicago messing up the pie

8. #351 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    It’s not. By any objective measure ND should not be in the playoff and are by far the most over rated team in the CFP.
    Don't agree, Notre Dame's schedule isn't any less distinguishing than the other three nor the two on the brink.

When you see the same teams every year sail thru their conferences unblemished or with one loss kinda reflects the overall level of competition in those leagues

9. #352 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

The problem with the CFP isn’t with the CFP it’s the selection committee. When you look over the data you find an alarming level of confirmation bias for the SEC and the ACC. The SEC bias is somewhat understandable at the very top end of the conference. The bias for the ACC is inexplicable, unless there is an outside influencer, as it is the weakest of the big five conferences. The Big Ten is the obvious victim of this bias the last two years and Big 10 fans have justifiable reasons to be pissed. As the second strongest conference this year (they were the strongest conference last year) they have been locked out of the CFP two years in a row. The evidence of bias is obvious when you compare computer polling data (FPI and Sagarin). When you look at computer rankings and compare them to the CFP rankings it becomes clear that the four teams selected should have been Al, Clem, OSU and OK based on won loss record, conference championship and strength of schedule. If you want an example of confirmation bias UGA would be it. They had the weakest schedule of any top ten team, two loses, no conference championship and no wins against top ten teams. OSU had a better record, played a tougher schedule, won their conference championship and defeated two top ten teams. The CFP still ranked UGA ahead of OSU. This my friends is what confirmation bias looks like and it’s why the CFP committee has to go. This the third year in a row that confirmation bias has influenced the CFP. They need to get rid of the committee and change it to an earn it on the field format.

Joel Klat gives an excellent break down of bias in the CFP.

OSU defeated 2 top 10 teams? Michigan is in the top 10. Who else? Penn State is ranked #12.

And, as Joe Klatt said, a really bad loss will do more harm than a really good win will help. Losing to Purdue did more harm than anything. Losing by 29 to an unranked team that is barely bowl eligible really hurt OSU.

10. #353 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

College football was never dominated by so few in those hundred and fifty years. One of the only reasons they went to the BCS game was because they couldn't control the polls that determined the champion, didn't serve their interests to have a Boise State or BYU screwing things up.

Expanding the playoffs is doubtful, doing it like they do the other divisions ain't ever going happen, too much money and control involved, the last thing the Power Five players want is anything near what the Basketball presents and a Loyala of Chicago messing up the pie
    You really think those smaller schools are as good as the Power 5 schools (consider that they merely get scheduled to play P5 teams to serve as filler). An expanded playoff would allow for the occasional non-P5 exception to participate, such as an unbeaten Boise St/SDSU/UCF/etc.

11. #354 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Kyler Murray wins the Heisman. Congrats.

12. #355 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You really think those smaller schools are as good as the Power 5 schools (consider that they merely get scheduled to play P5 teams to serve as filler). An expanded playoff would allow for the occasional non-P5 exception to participate, such as an unbeaten Boise St/SDSU/UCF/etc.
    They are as good as a lot of the teams in the Power 5 leagues, that's my point, a Clemson going undefeated in their league either says Clemson is really good, or, the league is overrated, the latter being my belief.

I'd even say the same for most of the other power five conferences, how many good defenses did Alabama face this year, two, which thier Heisman trophy candidate struggled in north. Most of them carry a reputation that forwardly places a lot of their teams regardless of how they preform

And as you say that occasional non-P5 participating is exactly why the P5 doesn't want to expand the playoffs, how do you think the SEC would feel if two years in a row an Alabama type team got beat in an early round game and they missed out on the big payday and fanfare?

13. #356 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

They are as good as a lot of the teams in the Power 5 leagues, that's my point, a Clemson going undefeated in their league either says Clemson is really good, or, the league is overrated, the latter being my belief.

I'd even say the same for most of the other power five conferences, how many good defenses did Alabama face this year, two, which thier Heisman trophy candidate struggled in north. Most of them carry a reputation that forwardly places a lot of their teams regardless of how they preform

And as you say that occasional non-P5 participating is exactly why the P5 doesn't want to expand the playoffs, how do you think the SEC would feel if two years in a row an Alabama type team got beat in an early round game and they missed out on the big payday and fanfare?
    That's a silly hypothetical, because it involves a P5 team actually losing to a non-P5 team. You must watch too much college basketball. Anyway, whenever the NCAA gets around to adding the requisite 4-6+ teams into the CFP, I'll be here to watch you spin new BS for why it's still not good enough for your delicate taste.

14. #357 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

That's a silly hypothetical, because it involves a P5 team actually losing to a non-P5 team. You must watch too much college basketball. Anyway, whenever the NCAA gets around to adding the requisite 4-6+ teams into the CFP, I'll be here to watch you spin new BS for why it's still not good enough for your delicate taste.
    How do you know it wouldn't happen, how many times have any of them ever been in that position? I contend that is not by accident, the P5 calls the shots to insure it won't occur, and for that reason the playoffs won't expand, and never to sixteen as the lower divisions do today

And yes, I do watch basketball, it is a model the football conferences don't want to occur. Years ago they didn't have the control because a good nmner of the top teams were outside of those conferences, ergo, the Tournament evolved without thier say. Today they are striving to take control, simple things as not scheduling mid majors is a good example

15. #358 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

How do you know it wouldn't happen, how many times have any of them ever been in that position? I contend that is not by accident, the P5 calls the shots to insure it won't occur, and for that reason the playoffs won't expand, and never to sixteen as the lower divisions do today

And yes, I do watch basketball, it is a model the football conferences don't want to occur. Years ago they didn't have the control because a good nmner of the top teams were outside of those conferences, ergo, the Tournament evolved without thier say. Today they are striving to take control, simple things as not scheduling mid majors is a good example
    I don't think 16 teams is necessary, but, you are going to be very disappointed when the CFP expands to eight teams.

16. #359 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think Clemson will prove your point!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

Mott the Hoople (12-10-2018)

18. #360 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I don't think 16 teams is necessary, but, you are going to be very disappointed when the CFP expands to eight teams.
    I don't see it changing from 4 teams anytime soon!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?