Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2018 - minus the troll

1. #166 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    What he has done with Alabama is amazing. There is not another dynasty that has come close.
    Right, let him go coach Bowling Green lacking the money and see how he does

I keep telling you at that level, it is semipro, all about the money, your lost in the myth of college amateurism

2. #167 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Right, let him go coach Bowling Green lacking the money and see how he does

I keep telling you at that level, it is semipro, all about the money, your lost in the myth of college amateurism
    When he got to Alabama in 2007, the Crimson Tide had not won more than 10 games in a season in 10 years. The two best seasons in that decade both were 10-3. Which happens to be the same as the single worst season Saban has had since he got to Alabama.

Nick Saban has also created a program which provides income for the University of Alabama. It is one of the top most profitable programs in the country.

Nick Saban is also a big part of why the academics have gotten better. The number of out-of-state students have tripled and the SAT scores for incoming freshmen have risen dramatically.

And Saban has won at every college where he was the head coach. And every where he was the head coach, the graduation rate for the athletes has gone up.

We all get that you are above such menial pursuits as athletic competitions. We all get that you think all the winners cheat.

But why do you bother to come into the sports forum and post such nonsense? Haven't you grown tired of being shown to be wrong? And do you actually think any one in this thread agrees with you?

As for it being "semi-pro", that is bullshit. The athletes get scholarships for their talents and efforts. Much like academically gifted students do. Most at Alabama take advantage of it and get a degree. But that is up to them. They get their education (including tuition, books, dorms, and food) just like my son did when he went to the UA on an academic scholarship. The coaches and staff are paid, but not the athletes.

3. #168 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

When he got to Alabama in 2007, the Crimson Tide had not won more than 10 games in a season in 10 years. The two best seasons in that decade both were 10-3. Which happens to be the same as the single worst season Saban has had since he got to Alabama.

Nick Saban has also created a program which provides income for the University of Alabama. It is one of the top most profitable programs in the country.

Nick Saban is also a big part of why the academics have gotten better. The number of out-of-state students have tripled and the SAT scores for incoming freshmen have risen dramatically.

And Saban has won at every college where he was the head coach. And every where he was the head coach, the graduation rate for the athletes has gone up.

We all get that you are above such menial pursuits as athletic competitions. We all get that you think all the winners cheat.

But why do you bother to come into the sports forum and post such nonsense? Haven't you grown tired of being shown to be wrong? And do you actually think any one in this thread agrees with you?

As for it being "semi-pro", that is bullshit. The athletes get scholarships for their talents and efforts. Much like academically gifted students do. Most at Alabama take advantage of it and get a degree. But that is up to them. They get their education (including tuition, books, dorms, and food) just like my son did when he went to the UA on an academic scholarship. The coaches and staff are paid, but not the athletes.
    Wow, I bet you got a lot of that from the University's own information department

And stop fooling yourself, it is all about the money, Alabama spends the money to pay coaches millions, build facilities worth millions, and who knows what else they buy with the millions. The part about most players getting degrees is priceless, the most comes from all those third, fourth, and shelved teams included in the statistics, and as shown before, the degrees are in mysterious majors as sports Administration. But what the hell, ain't a whole of anything else going on in Alabama so the last thing any Alabamian is going to do is realize the truth

Alabama is the Yankees of semipro football, the only differences, the Yankees don't make the pretext that their are anything else, and by the way, it ain't a sports forum

4. #169 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Wow, I bet you got a lot of that from the University's own information department

And stop fooling yourself, it is all about the money, Alabama spends the money to pay coaches millions, build facilities worth millions, and who knows what else they buy with the millions. The part about most players getting degrees is priceless, the most comes from all those third, fourth, and shelved teams included in the statistics, and as shown before, the degrees are in mysterious majors as sports Administration. But what the hell, ain't a whole of anything else going on in Alabama so the last thing any Alabamian is going to do is realize the truth

Alabama is the Yankees of semipro football, the only differences, the Yankees don't make the pretext that their are anything else, and by the way, it ain't a sports forum
    Actually, I got a lot of the information from an article in Forbes Magazine. https://www.forbes.com/sites/tomvanr.../#6aabfc33393a

So people in Alabama won't realize the truth? And you are here to bring the truth to the under privileged masses who are duped by Nick Saban?? LMAO!!

I don't know what the players majors are, and neither do you. I do know that the major is chosen by the player, not the coach or the university.

I also know that the University of Alabama is one of the most profitable athletic departments in the nation at $164 million. https://www.businessinsider.com/scho...504-million-24

And while this may not be a strictly sports forum, this thread is specifically about college football. So my point stands.

5. #170 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Just in case you don't choose to read the article I linked, here are some excerpts: (the Bold is mine)

"You basically know Saban’s record on the field: 68-13 since arriving in Tuscaloosa in 2007, with three national titles. The athletic department money has followed suit: 2012 produced revenue of $124.5 million and profit of $19.4 million, according to data from USA Today, up from $67.7 million in revenue and $7.1 million in profit in 2007. Football accounts for about two-thirds of all revenue and $45 million in profit, while the school’s other sports teams collectively lose money."

"But the money flowing directly from Bryant-Denny Stadium is just the start. If you think that a top college football coach earning seven figures is overpaid, think again. To appreciate just how modest Saban’s $5.3 million salary is, take a wider look around campus. Since 2007, Tuscaloosa has swelled its undergraduate ranks by 33% to over 28,000 students. Faculty count has kept pace: up 400 since 2007 to over 1,700. But it’s more than growth - it’s where the growth is coming from. According to the school, less than a third of the 2007 freshman class of 4,538 students hailed from out of state. By the fall of 2012, more than half (52%) of a freshman class of 6,397 students did. Various data from US News and the New York Times shows that the school’s out-of-state tuition cost - nearly three times higher than the rate for in-state students - rose from $18,000 to $22,950 a year during that period."

"Add it all up - more students from outside Alabama paying ever-increasing premium tuition bills – and the school realized $50 million more in out-of-state tuition revenue for last fall’s incoming class than it did for the same class in 2007 ($76 million vs. $26 million)."

"For the admissions office, more applications mean more selectivity. Six years ago, 64% of students applying to the University of Alabama were accepted. By 2012, the acceptance rate had dropped to 53%. About one in four students from the 2012 freshman class carried a 4.0 high school GPA. The class also includes 241 National Merit Scholars, more than any other public university in the U.S."

So, as the article shows, Saban's success on the field has translated to more success for the university and a higher quality of education for more students.

But if you want to denigrate the program and claim it is "semi-pro" ball, go right ahead. I need a laugh every so often.

6. #171 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Mich.St is going to beat Ohio St. Saturday!
    AM I, I AM's,AM I.
    What day is Michaelmas on?

7. #172 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Anne and Margot View Post
    Mich.St is going to beat Ohio St. Saturday!
    I agree. I wonder if Urban will retire again.

My latest prediction for the CFP is:
    1) Bama
    2) Clemson
    3) Notre Dame
    4) Michigan State

8. #173 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

I agree. I wonder if Urban will retire again.

My latest prediction for the CFP is:
    1) Bama
    2) Clemson
    3) Notre Dame
    4) Michigan State
    You mean Michigan, right?

9. #174 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    Yeah that's the traditional game, Big 10 vs PAC 12.
    The bowl projections at the moment are LSU vs. W. Virginia. I can't get too excited about that.
    I just think Burrrow up against his old team makes for a good story line.
    It certainly would but that would be media hype. Burrow left on good terms with no hard feelings and Meyer played no small role in his getting the opportunity at LSU.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

anonymoose (11-06-2018), TOP (11-06-2018)

11. #175 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    It certainly would but that would be media hype. Burrow left on good terms with no hard feelings and Meyer played no small role in his getting the opportunity at LSU.
    The lady who doesnt know the difference between the professional football teams in Ohio, pretending she is knowledgeable. You are a pathetic joke honey bunny

12. #176 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by ProggyStyle View Post
    You mean Michigan, right?
    Sorry, yes I do.

13. #177 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    The lady who doesnt know the difference between the professional football teams in Ohio, pretending she is knowledgeable. You are a pathetic joke honey bunny
    Since this is a thread about college football, why does knowing the difference between the 2 NFL powerhouse from Ohio matter?

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinterBorn For This Post:

anonymoose (11-06-2018), TOP (11-06-2018)

15. #178 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,916 Times in 6,548 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,882 Times in 1,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Since this is a thread about college football, why does knowing the difference between the 2 NFL powerhouse from Ohio matter?
    The lady knows nothing about sports

16. #179 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

I wouldn't describe either the Browns or the Bengals as a powerhouse.

17. #180 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by floridafan View Post
    The lady knows nothing about sports
    Lots of people don’t. I heard the tv announcer for the Bama/LSU game talking about the crowd being the “11th man”.