Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Thread: College Football 2018 - minus the troll

1. #331 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,190 Times in 13,938 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,051 Times in 2,846 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post
    They bit Alabama's hand not so long ago. Probation with no post season activity and limitations on scholarships.
    In this Century? You mean they had to put some off their players on academic grants and scholarships till the prohibition ended?

2. #332 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    In this Century? You mean they had to put some off their players on academic grants and scholarships till the prohibition ended?
    No, I mean they had fewer players on scholarships.

And yes, in this century.

3. #333 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No, I mean they had fewer players on scholarships.

And yes, in this century.
    Talking 2002?

So they hide their fourth team scholarships on school grants and come in under the number

4. #334 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Talking 2002?

So they hide their fourth team scholarships on school grants and come in under the number
    So you make shit up to try and continue your argument?

Odd that you don't seem to have an issue with the other schools who spend big money. You don't seem to be interested in inventing accusations against other teams.

Unless you have something substantial, this is growing tiresome.

5. #335 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

So you make shit up to try and continue your argument?

Odd that you don't seem to have an issue with the other schools who spend big money. You don't seem to be interested in inventing accusations against other teams.

Unless you have something substantial, this is growing tiresome.
    Well I have throughout this exchange, North Carolina and Ohio State, but it wasn't anyone else who came on boasting that Alabama football was some kind of herculean accomplishment and Sabin was a current day Pop Warner

Where I have produced "something substantial," you did just brushed it aside as irrelevant, providing evidence generated by Alabama University itself as a counter

Lastly, I really don't care about Alabama football, or your obsession with it, my intial reaction was in response to your bragging as if it something more than it is

6. #336 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well I have throughout this exchange, North Carolina and Ohio State, but it wasn't anyone else who came on boasting that Alabama football was some kind of herculean accomplishment and Sabin was a current day Pop Warner

Where I have produced "something substantial," you did just brushed it aside as irrelevant, providing evidence generated by Alabama University itself as a counter

Lastly, I really don't care about Alabama football, or your obsession with it, my intial reaction was in response to your bragging as if it something more than it is
    Well pardon me for bragging about something that is brag worthy. In the last 10 years 5 different teams have won a national championship, and 1 team has won 5.

Saban is the greatest active college football coach by a healthy margin.

I am a fan of the program and coach from my alma mater. No apologies for that.

As for your "something substantial", you have offered nothing but laughable accusations.

7. #337 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Well pardon me for bragging about something that is brag worthy. In the last 10 years 5 different teams have won a national championship, and 1 team has won 5.

Saban is the greatest active college football coach by a healthy margin.

I am a fan of the program and coach from my alma mater. No apologies for that.

As for your "something substantial", you have offered nothing but laughable accusations.
    Hasn't North Dakota State topped those numbers, and they play football without the million dollar coaching staff, players driving Mercedes, nor media attention

And as I said, they is like boasting the New York Yankees are the winningest pro baseball team of all time without also recognizing they had more money than all the other teams for the vast majority of years that they dominated the sport

8. #338 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Hasn't North Dakota State topped those numbers, and they play football without the million dollar coaching staff, players driving Mercedes, nor media attention

And as I said, they is like boasting the New York Yankees are the winningest pro baseball team of all time without also recognizing they had more money than all the other teams for the vast majority of years that they dominated the sport
    The Yankees comparison is nonsense. I have given you the facts and figures for what other teams spend. And yet they have not won nearly as many games as Alabama.

Of course, you claimed those numbers "...evidence generated by Alabama University itself as a counter". I wasn't aware that Forbes magazine was connected to the University of Alabama.

I find it amusing that you are so offended by my bragging that you will continue on and on with a discussion, including making up ways Alabama is cheating, just to counter it.

Right now Alabama is the most dominant team in college football. As far as spending, they come in 4th or 5th. But those who spend more are winning far less. That seems to be solid evidence that it is not just money spent.

As I said before, this is just tiresome. And has derailed the thread from its original intent. Find a new imaginary crime to whine about.

9. #339 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

No they won't, UCF is a good example, if you maintain the playoffs at four teams you have to start the year ranked in the top ten, and when was the last time a Baylor was ranked that high?

The Power Five own the NCAA and the playoff system, even private schools in those leagues chances are remote at best
    Until about two years ago, Baylor was consistently ranked high. The reason UCF is not getting into the playoff is because their level of competition is a joke. Contrast that with Notre Dame, who gets a pass on not having to compete for conference titles by having a competitive schedule. The conferences are referred to as "Power Five" for a reason.

No one anticipates the playoff remaining at four teams. It was the only way of transitioning from the two-team BCS format, however. Ultimately, it will be the job of rational people to ram a stake through the black (and hilariously stupid) heart of Bowl mania. If they preserve the only five that matter, and that should ever have come to exist (Rose, Sun, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and, maybe, Fiesta), then it will free-up a lot of space for more teams to be available to compete for a spot in the CFP. Or else shorten the regular season to ten games, and then sneak in the bowl games prior to meaningful stuff like the conference title games.

10. #340 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The Yankees comparison is nonsense. I have given you the facts and figures for what other teams spend. And yet they have not won nearly as many games as Alabama.

Of course, you claimed those numbers "...evidence generated by Alabama University itself as a counter". I wasn't aware that Forbes magazine was connected to the University of Alabama.

I find it amusing that you are so offended by my bragging that you will continue on and on with a discussion, including making up ways Alabama is cheating, just to counter it.

Right now Alabama is the most dominant team in college football. As far as spending, they come in 4th or 5th. But those who spend more are winning far less. That seems to be solid evidence that it is not just money spent.

As I said before, this is just tiresome. And has derailed the thread from its original intent. Find a new imaginary crime to whine about.
    Are you daft man, it isn't a sports forum, you just want to tell us how great you think Alabama is, nobody cares, it is a college football program, one that has born on third base which you are now all giddy about cause they hit a home run

11. #341 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

WinterBorn (12-07-2018)

13. #342 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Are you daft man, it isn't a sports forum, you just want to tell us how great you think Alabama is, nobody cares, it is a college football program, one that has born on third base which you are now all giddy about cause they hit a home run
    Born on third base? LMAO!! What the hell are you talking about? The University of Alabama has been a major football power off and on since the 1930s. It has also been a downtrodden used-to-be program many times during that time. And now, Alabama is riding a dynasty the likes of which has never been seen in college football.

You just get pissy about it and try to demean it. First it was that Bama cheats. Then it was semi-pro because Bama pays the players. Then it was because Alabama has more money to spend than any other team. All of which are without merit or evidence.

Take a hike, junior. I am willing to discuss the teams that are relevant. And will continue to do so. I am just tired of refuting your ridiculous claims.

14. #343 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    Until about two years ago, Baylor was consistently ranked high. The reason UCF is not getting into the playoff is because their level of competition is a joke. Contrast that with Notre Dame, who gets a pass on not having to compete for conference titles by having a competitive schedule. The conferences are referred to as "Power Five" for a reason.

No one anticipates the playoff remaining at four teams. It was the only way of transitioning from the two-team BCS format, however. Ultimately, it will be the job of rational people to ram a stake through the black (and hilariously stupid) heart of Bowl mania. If they preserve the only five that matter, and that should ever have come to exist (Rose, Sun, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and, maybe, Fiesta), then it will free-up a lot of space for more teams to be available to compete for a spot in the CFP. Or else shorten the regular season to ten games, and then sneak in the bowl games prior to meaningful stuff like the conference title games.
    Disagree, UCF was never going to reach that high regardless, and Notre Dame would never be that high if they had started out unranked and their name wasn't Notre Dame. Had they been say Wake Forest undefeated they wouldn't be in the top four

Doubtful any change will come to the current playoff system any time soon, too much money being raked in by the teams on top. None of the Power Leagues want to see a Loyola of Chicago beating their marque team in an early game.

The only respectable playoff would be sixteen teams, but that ain't happening because it mean they would have to cut back to ten regular games a year, and those schools aren't giving up the big payday playing the Little Sisters of the Poor in early September

15. #344 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Disagree, UCF was never going to reach that high regardless, and Notre Dame would never be that high if they had started out unranked and their name wasn't Notre Dame. Had they been say Wake Forest undefeated they wouldn't be in the top four

Doubtful any change will come to the current playoff system any time soon, too much money being raked in by the teams on top. None of the Power Leagues want to see a Loyola of Chicago beating their marque team in an early game.

The only respectable playoff would be sixteen teams, but that ain't happening because it mean they would have to cut back to ten regular games a year, and those schools aren't giving up the big payday playing the Little Sisters of the Poor in early September
    Notre Dame has a unique scheduling system. If BYU (also independent) played the same schedule, with the same level of success, it would be ranked #3. As I stated above, we only just achieved this playoff system in 2014. We only achieved the BCS playoff system in 1998. We will eventually add at least four more teams.

16. #345 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Born on third base? LMAO!! What the hell are you talking about? The University of Alabama has been a major football power off and on since the 1930s. It has also been a downtrodden used-to-be program many times during that time. And now, Alabama is riding a dynasty the likes of which has never been seen in college football.

You just get pissy about it and try to demean it. First it was that Bama cheats. Then it was semi-pro because Bama pays the players. Then it was because Alabama has more money to spend than any other team. All of which are without merit or evidence.

Take a hike, junior. I am willing to discuss the teams that are relevant. And will continue to do so. I am just tired of refuting your ridiculous claims.
    Really? Don't get out there much in Alabama I see, acting like they hit a home run after they were born on third, think about it

I gave you plenty of sources supporting my position and you just dismissed them as "hearsay," not much more I can do, and just by the fact you fell the need to add the personal crapola kinda shows you yourself aren't entirely sure what you are refuting isn't true