Thread: College Football 2018 - minus the troll

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,413 Times in 16,403 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,433 Times in 1,355 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    I agree for the most part but the bias is for Alabama. They are the only team in the country to have the luxury of not having to win their conference championship as long as they only have one loss and they're in. And that's practically decided before the season starts.
    I disagree with you about bama getting in ahead of an undefeated team though. They only get in when there's not enuf undefeated teams not called Central Florida to round out the CFP. I very seriously doubt an undefeated team from a power five conference would get bumped for a one loss bama team that didn't win the SEC championship. Has that ever happened? I don't think so.

Oh, and thank you for lending us Joe Burrow. We're making good use of him. Too bad OSU didn't.
    We're happy to see Joe doing so well....

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 12 Times in 11 Posts

I agree for the most part but the bias is for Alabama. They are the only team in the country to have the luxury of not having to win their conference championship as long as they only have one loss and they're in. And that's practically decided before the season starts.
    I disagree with you about bama getting in ahead of an undefeated team though. They only get in when there's not enuf undefeated teams not called Central Florida to round out the CFP. I very seriously doubt an undefeated team from a power five conference would get bumped for a one loss bama team that didn't win the SEC championship. Has that ever happened? I don't think so.

Oh, and thank you for lending us Joe Burrow. We're making good use of him. Too bad OSU didn't.

"They are the only team in the country to have the luxury of not having to win their conference championship as long as they only have one loss and they're in."

Really? Try again. Hell, Bama wasn't even the first to do so.

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,417 Times in 7,536 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 270 Times in 253 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterBorn View Post

"They are the only team in the country to have the luxury of not having to win their conference championship as long as they only have one loss and they're in."

Really? Try again. Hell, Bama wasn't even the first to do so.
    Who was?

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Who was?
    In 2016, Ohio State did not play in the BIG10 Championship game. (It was Penn State v. Wisconsin) But the Buckeyes were in the playoffs anyway.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In 2016, Ohio State did not play in the BIG10 Championship game. (It was Penn State v. Wisconsin) But the Buckeyes were in the playoffs anyway.
    Was that the yr they got creamed by Clemson?

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Yep.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Despite what some people want, winning their conference has never been a requirement for the playoffs. Yes, the committee gives weight to doing so. But they are still trying to get the 4 best teams into a playoff.

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep.
    At least there weren't two from that conference in the CFP. I just think it's overkill to have half the teams from one conference.

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Despite what some people want, winning their conference has never been a requirement for the playoffs. Yes, the committee gives weight to doing so. But they are still trying to get the 4 best teams into a playoff.
    I know. It's not perfect but better than anything we've had.

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

At least there weren't two from that conference in the CFP. I just think it's overkill to have half the teams from one conference.
    I think, if the 4 best teams in the country include 2 from a single conference, that is who should be in the playoff.

And last year, the two teams from one conference beat the two other teams. One quite handily.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I think, if the 4 best teams in the country include 2 from a single conference, that is who should be in the playoff.

And last year, the two teams from one conference beat the two other teams. One quite handily.
    That is true.
    No one could claim SEC bias last yr.

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,001 Times in 13,040 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,147 Times in 1,092 Posts

You’re welcome. We’re doing just fine with out him. Tough situation to have a QB of Joe’s caliber but to have another who is vastly superior. It certainly was generous of Meyer to give him an opportunity to play for a second tier team.
    You're Never Alone With A Schizophrenic!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mott the Hoople For This Post:

TOP (10-15-2018)

14. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    You’re welcome. We’re doing just fine with out him. Tough situation to have a QB of Joe’s caliber but to have another who is vastly superior. It certainly was generous of Meyer to give him an opportunity to play for a second tier team.
    The QB you have now is kicking ass. I understand that he and Tua talk on the phone fairly regularly. I love Tua's skills, but having a bigger QB certainly makes those hard hits less nerve wracking.

15. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,035 Times in 13,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

And yet, a 4 year starter on the Oline for Alabama graduated with a degree in accounting and maintained a 4.0 GPA.
    One? Let's see, in four years how many Offensive linemen has Alabama gone thru, and that don't consider if the kid was redshirted one of his years. And one graduated with a degree other than "sports science?"

You just can't accept the fact that a large degree of college football is semi-pro, if you got the money to spend on a football team and you will probably be sucessful, money will buy what you need, and Alabama leads the pack. Didn't it ever occur to you why the State schools are more sucessful than the few private schools that still play at that level?

It ain't amateur nor possesses the qualities of amateurism, it is semi pro, might as well call it them the Montgomery Crimson Tide

16. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    One? Let's see, in four years how many Offensive linemen has Alabama gone thru, and that don't consider if the kid was redshirted one of his years. And one graduated with a degree other than "sports science?"

You just can't accept the fact that a large degree of college football is semi-pro, if you got the money to spend on a football team and you will probably be sucessful, money will buy what you need, and Alabama leads the pack. Didn't it ever occur to you why the State schools are more sucessful than the few private schools that still play at that level?

It ain't amateur nor possesses the qualities of amateurism, it is semi pro, might as well call it them the Montgomery Crimson Tide
    I accept the fact that, since Saban elevated the football team to the dynasty it is, the University of Alabama's athletic dept is making major profits. Also, the number of out of state students increased dramatically.

from: https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/d...5d8Jy7eaKyeUP/
    "Before Saban arrived, the school had already begun an enrollment push, topping 20,000 in 2003 (20,333), and reaching a then-record 23,878 for the 2006-07 academic school year. For that fall, it received 15,761 applications.

For the fall of 2016, it received 42,802 applications. Enrollment was 37,665.

Normally when a school significantly expands the quality of its student applications dips. That wasn’t the case at Alabama. The average ACT score went from 24.2 in 2006 to 27.07 a decade later. The average GPA for the incoming freshmen rose from 3.4 to 3.69."

If you want to denigrate the course of study for the athletes, that is fine. But as long as the athletes do not get paid, they are amateurs.