Members banned from this thread: evince, Leonthecat, archives, Micawber, ThatOwlWoman, Jade Dragon and Nordberg

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: If They Bet On Nuclear, Not Renewables, Germany & California Would Have 100% Clean Po

1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    So they bought you off. Fine

BUT !!

False.
    They may be different problems. But they're problems.
    Coal combustion releases Carbon into the atmosphere that can take a century for the environment to reabsorb.
    Nuclear commercial power plants can produce nuclear waste that remains radioactive, dangerous to humans for millennia.

False.
    I thought you were clued up, haven't you heard of SMR technology? They produce next to nothing in terms of waste and indeed can use high level nuclear waste as a fuel. They are also meltdown proof and require no operator intervention to shutdown in an emergency.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sponsor...energy-future/

https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2017/1...prototype.html

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

Alternate technologies may be available.
    But the technology to which you refer does not represent the majority of commercial electricity generating nuclear plants on Earth.

So rather than a hypothetical projection on some alternate universe, my comment addressed reality today.

We can't know where it'll end. Fish caught off the U.S. left coast have been found to be contaminated with radiation from Fukashima.

And the French dumped nuclear waste in steel drums into the abyssal plain for many years. Is that a safe, long term repository? We may not know the answer to that for millennia. OR !! We might find out it's not this afternoon.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Alternate technologies may be available.
    But the technology to which you refer does not represent the majority of commercial electricity generating nuclear plants on Earth.

So rather than a hypothetical projection on some alternate universe, my comment addressed reality today.

We can't know where it'll end. Fish caught off the U.S. left coast have been found to be contaminated with radiation from Fukashima.

And the French dumped nuclear waste in steel drums into the abyssal plain for many years. Is that a safe, long term repository? We may not know the answer to that for millennia. OR !! We might find out it's not this afternoon.
    You said that nuclear waste will be around for millennia, with molten salt reactors that is just not true! As for the Fukushima irradiated fish, that's just specious bollocks. Surely a scientist, as you claim to be, must understand the huge volume of water in the Pacific and the tiny amount of radioactive leaks from Fukushima by comparison?

http://egeneration.org/solution/wamsr/

https://oceana.org/blog/worried-abou...dioactive-fish
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 09-22-2018 at 12:21 PM.

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"You said that nuclear waste will be around for millennia, with molten salt reactors that is just not true!" HM #93
    False.
    There was a plan to create a national nuclear waste repository under Yucca mountain. Extensive preparations were made, until objections canceled the plan.
    Yucca is over the Ogalalla Aquifer, a continental fresh water resource. They didn't dare risk poisoning the nation's wells.
    "You said that nuclear waste will be around for millennia, with molten salt reactors that is just not true!" HM #93
    It depends on the isotope. But I've read reports indicating such nuclear waste THAT ALREADY EXISTS may remain toxic for 5,000 years.

That there's a different technology doesn't shorten the half-life of the waste already in temporary storage around the nation.

And I read (don't remember where) that the nuclear waste from the making of the bombs we dropped on Japan still has not been permanently disposed of. So we've got nuclear waste stored "temporarily" in cooling ponds, across the continent.
    I know of no permanent repository in the U.S. for the nuclear waste we've already got.
    "As for the Fukushima irradiated fish, that's just specious bollocks. Surely a scientist, as you claim to be, must understand the huge volume of water in the Pacific and the tiny amount of radioactive leaks from Fukushima by comparison?" HM #93
    Amusing, but presumptive.

I gather the fish referred to in the report were migratory. Not that they were contaminated in U.S. territorial waters, but that they were contaminated in Japan, and subsequently found here.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

False.
    There was a plan to create a national nuclear waste repository under Yucca mountain. Extensive preparations were made, until objections canceled the plan.
    Yucca is over the Ogalalla Aquifer, a continental fresh water resource. They didn't dare risk poisoning the nation's wells.

It depends on the isotope. But I've read reports indicating such nuclear waste THAT ALREADY EXISTS may remain toxic for 5,000 years.

That there's a different technology doesn't shorten the half-life of the waste already in temporary storage around the nation.

And I read (don't remember where) that the nuclear waste from the making of the bombs we dropped on Japan still has not been permanently disposed of. So we've got nuclear waste stored "temporarily" in cooling ponds, across the continent.
    I know of no permanent repository in the U.S. for the nuclear waste we've already got.

Amusing, but presumptive.

I gather the fish referred to in the report were migratory. Not that they were contaminated in U.S. territorial waters, but that they were contaminated in Japan, and subsequently found here.
    I provided you with a link but it's obvious that you didn't read it! Oh, and I've eaten seafood in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Burma, haven't started glowing yet. There is also a renewed push to open Yucca Mountain after 30 odd years, even WaPo is in favour! $15 billion have been spent so far, it is all just politics and the spinelessness of Obama caving to a bunch of crazed treehuggers.

http://egeneration.org/solution/wamsr/

https://reason.com/blog/2017/07/17/o...clear-waste-re

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

"I provided you with a link but it's obvious that you didn't read it!" HM
    I virtually never click un-teased links. Correct.
    Bitter experience over the generations at such fora as this have taught me it's virtually always a waste of time.
    Very often it links to a 47 page screed of muddled, or irrelevant palaver, just not worth my time.

The purpose of the URL is:
    a) Make your argument as succinctly as possible, in English.

b) Include a concise quotation from the linked resource.

c) Include the URL with your argument, so that it may be authenticated, if necessary.

But a URL is not a logical argument. And those that don't know that are usually wrong anyway. So I don't waste my time.

If you think you have a valid point to make, make it. If a URL is necessary (usually not, as it's usually something I already knew) I can use it then.
    "Oh, and I've eaten seafood in Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia and Burma, haven't started glowing yet." HM
    After the tsunami & Fukashima disaster?

Ever eaten coelacanth?
    "There is also a renewed push to open Yucca Mountain after 30 odd years. Even WaPo is in favour!" HM
    I don't consider WaPo an authoritative source on that, or much else. Yucca as you know is suspended indefinitely.
    “When I was in Bangkok, I was eating at a restaurant with a friend when Bill Murray passed by, took a French fry from our basket, dipped it in ketchup, ate it, and said "No one's ever going to believe you" before walking out.” chatchy

7. The Following User Groans At sear For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-22-2018)

8. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

I virtually never click un-teased links. Correct.
    Bitter experience over the generations at such fora as this have taught me it's virtually always a waste of time.
    Very often it links to a 47 page screed of muddled, or irrelevant palaver, just not worth my time.

The purpose of the URL is:
    a) Make your argument as succinctly as possible, in English.

b) Include a concise quotation from the linked resource.

c) Include the URL with your argument, so that it may be authenticated, if necessary.

But a URL is not a logical argument. And those that don't know that are usually wrong anyway. So I don't waste my time.

If you think you have a valid point to make, make it. If a URL is necessary (usually not, as it's usually something I already knew) I can use it then.

After the tsunami & Fukashima disaster?

Ever eaten coelacanth?

I don't consider WaPo an authoritative source on that, or much else. Yucca as you know is suspended indefinitely.
    If you can't be bothered to read stuff then screw you. Remain an ignorant pompous arse.
    Last edited by cancel2 2022; 09-22-2018 at 03:04 PM.

9. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

HM #97

You grossly misrepresent my position.

I don't follow un-teased links.

10. The Following User Groans At sear For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-22-2018)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sear For This Post:

Bigdog (09-22-2018)

12. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

HM #97

You grossly misrepresent my position.

I don't follow un-teased links.
    I haven't a clue what you're on about, and am past caring. Maybe you're just too old to absorb new ideas and technology?

13. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,395 Times in 6,142 Posts
    Blog Entries

Energy firms demand billions from UK taxpayer for mini reactors

Ministers under pressure to fund new generation of small-scale nuclear power stations

Backers of mini nuclear power stations have asked for billions of pounds of taxpayers’ money to build their first UK projects, according to an official document.

Advocates for small modular reactors (SMRs) argue they are more affordable and less risky than conventional large-scale nuclear plants, and therefore able to compete with the falling costs of windfarms and solar power.

But the nuclear industry’s claims that the mini plants would be a cheap option for producing low-carbon power appear to be undermined by the significant sums it has been asking of ministers.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-mini-reactors
    Haw, haw......haw . maggot must have a piece of the action. Shareholder, maggot ?
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

14. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,295 Times in 5,845 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 390 Times in 368 Posts

I wonder if California decides to look toward the ocean instead of going nuclear.

15. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Had California and Germany invested $680 billion into new nuclear power plants instead of renewables like solar and wind farms, the two would already be generating 100% or more of their electricity from clean (low-emissions) energy sources, according to a new analysis by Environmental Progress.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#26098db9e0d4

you process information poorly

16. The Following User Groans At katzgar For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-30-2018)

17. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,400 Times in 5,849 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 6,395 Times in 6,142 Posts
    Blog Entries

Energy firms demand billions from UK taxpayer for mini reactors

Ministers under pressure to fund new generation of small-scale nuclear power stations

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-mini-reactors

Poor maggot.
    " First they came for the journalists...
    We don't know what happened after that . "

Maria Ressa.

18. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    Poor maggot.
    Yes good, some of that money being funnelled into useless wind turbines could be used to fund SMR technology instead.

19. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,732 Times in 14,328 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,386 Times in 1,304 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mott the Hoople View Post
    Brilliant idea Tom. Build nuclear plants on the most earthquake prone part of the country. What could possibly go wrong?
    Ask Japan
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.