Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Good Old Days Of America's Healthcare System, Bring It Back

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 21,034 Times in 14,529 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,387 Times in 1,305 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    I remember when a phone call cost ten cents and party lines existed, should we return to those days? What was the average life expectancy of the 1950's compared to today?

Health care wasn't even close to being as efficient, and more so, widespread, than it is today. What you are falling prey to is pure nostalgia, fortunately, life moves on
    And profit based systems, vs. 'the old days'.

Pharma prices are through the roof.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 64 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NiftyNiblick View Post
    Medicare for all is the tip of the iceberg.

It's only a matter of time before we have complete deprivatization and a National Health Service just like the UKs.

America is an embarrassingly socially regressive country, so we're late to the table with just about all social advancements.

But it's only a matter of time.

All healthcare from pre-natal care to nursing homes and hospices will be 100% tax supported...just as it obviously should be.
    If the government controls your healthcare, they control you. Think about that.

3. The Following User Groans At Grugore For This Awful Post:

Nordberg (09-14-2018)

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,626 Times in 7,127 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,985 Times in 2,707 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robo View Post
    America’s healthcare during my boyhood and early adulthood, (late 30's, 40's and early 50's) was never a political issue. It’s documented that Harry Truman once tried to introduce a federal government healthcare plan and I think he was laughed out of the Oval Office. I don’t remember healthcare being an issue until the feds got involved with Medicare in like the 60's sometime I think. From my experience America’s healthcare has been going downhill ever since. Seems the more the feds mess with it the more costly and more people , not fewer people can’t get healthcare except by emergency room care.

I remember when doctors and hospitals had low cost and no cost clinics the doctors donated time to and the hospitals donated facilities and equipment and private charities donated money and other services to the poor and folks of meager means.

I remember when almost every employer could easily afford health insurance for their employees and plans where whole families could go to the doctor and or the hospitals and pay next to nothing for care. Most plans even offered dental and visual coverage.

I think America should get the feds out of the healthcare and health insurance business and encourage the people and the states to go back to the good old days in American healthcare.

the average lifespan was 65 you moron.

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grugore View Post
    If the government controls your healthcare, they control you. Think about that.
    They do? How so?

Government controls the roads I drive on, but that doesn't stop me from where I want to go, how I want to go, or if I even have to go at all

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,634 Times in 9,300 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

America’s healthcare during my boyhood and early adulthood, (late 30's, 40's and early 50's) was never a political issue. It’s documented that Harry Truman once tried to introduce a federal government healthcare plan and I think he was laughed out of the Oval Office. I don’t remember healthcare being an issue until the feds got involved with Medicare in like the 60's sometime I think. From my experience America’s healthcare has been going downhill ever since. Seems the more the feds mess with it the more costly and more people , not fewer people can’t get healthcare except by emergency room care.

I remember when doctors and hospitals had low cost and no cost clinics the doctors donated time to and the hospitals donated facilities and equipment and private charities donated money and other services to the poor and folks of meager means.

I remember when almost every employer could easily afford health insurance for their employees and plans where whole families could go to the doctor and or the hospitals and pay next to nothing for care. Most plans even offered dental and visual coverage.

I think America should get the feds out of the healthcare and health insurance business and encourage the people and the states to go back to the good old days in American healthcare.
    You're a moron,stuck in the 50's

7. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,772 Times in 27,246 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

I think you put your finger on the major issue concerning government provided healthcare. Whenever "the people" get the idea that all they have to do is go to a doctor for pretty much anything, a cold a hang nail, a boil or whatever, and the government will take care of the bill, first thing you know, doctors offices are swamped, they have to hire more help to take care of the government paperwork and then everybody ends up WAITING longer and longer for care. That's what you get with single payer. That's why the VA can't handle it's commitments.
    Link

that doesn't seem to be a problem at all the other western nations who have universal healthcare

8. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

The good old days when people with cancer were sent home with opium to die? The good old days where people just dropped dead of a heart attack or stroke and that was that? Extending life expectancy and all the high tech crap we have costs money.

9. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,834 Times in 17,265 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,601 Times in 4,278 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    The good old days when people with cancer were sent home with opium to die? The good old days where people just dropped dead of a heart attack or stroke and that was that? Extending life expectancy and all the high tech crap we have costs money.
    our system is at the bottom of industrial nations. that is because a huge part of our health care money goes to profits and execs. healthcare should not be a for-profit enterprise. that guarantees that a huge part of our care cost goes to proifits and funnels up to the wealthy.

10. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,432 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 158 Times in 148 Posts

I use to respond to her too. It's perfectly evident to me now that it isn't worth encouraging her, she's totally brain-dead.

Evince is a ..... She ?

11. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,617 Times in 9,138 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,428 Times in 1,257 Posts

12. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    our system is at the bottom of industrial nations. that is because a huge part of our health care money goes to profits and execs. healthcare should not be a for-profit enterprise. that guarantees that a huge part of our care cost goes to proifits and funnels up to the wealthy.
    Our system is at the bottom because the studies put heavy weight on cost to consumers. Start a non-profit healthcare system if you want. See how many people use it and what kind of care they get. First, however, your non-profit system needs to come up with about $30T to buy out the owners of all the hospitals, nursing homes, etc, and find doctors willing to work for RN pay and surgeons willing to slice and dice for CRNP wages. You cannot overlay a nonprofit system on a for-profit system and have a system in the end.

13. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    But it doesn't mean we have to use big government cookie cutter approaches either.
    of course, we do. It is a huge program.

14. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,648 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,032 Posts

I remember the good ole days of polio.
    Don't cha miss it?

[img]
    We have the intellect to imagine the finality of our own demise but do not have the sophistication to overcome our survival instinct and accept it.
    Solution? Magical thinking and childish promises of everlasting life.
    Ergo, religion.

rac·ist
    rāsəst/noun
    a person who believes that a particular race is superior to another.
    Ask yourself honestly if this describes what you believe to be true.
    If the answer is yes, you are a racist.

15. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Our system is at the bottom because the studies put heavy weight on cost to consumers. Start a non-profit healthcare system if you want. See how many people use it and what kind of care they get. First, however, your non-profit system needs to come up with about $30T to buy out the owners of all the hospitals, nursing homes, etc, and find doctors willing to work for RN pay and surgeons willing to slice and dice for CRNP wages. You cannot overlay a nonprofit system on a for-profit system and have a system in the end.
    Not correct. they evaluate on life expectancy and health results of sick people. Money is not a factor. https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...able-countries and rated 11th out of 11 industrial countries. https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pre...-access-equity

16. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    Not correct. they evaluate on life expectancy and health results of sick people. Money is not a factor. https://www.healthsystemtracker.org/...able-countries and rated 11th out of 11 industrial countries. https://www.commonwealthfund.org/pre...-access-equity
    LOL. In the very first sentence they state "access to services" as part of the metric. Access to services is measured in cost to consumers. And how do they measure that, well let's go to your other source: "Access to care: People in the U.S. have the hardest time affording the health care they need. The U.S. ranks last on every measure of cost-related access. More than one-third (37%) of U.S. adults reported forgoing a recommended test, treatment, or follow-up care because of cost.