Members banned from this thread: SmarterthanYou, USFREEDOM911, cancel2 2022, PostmodernProphet, Legion, Truth Detector, Granule, canceled.2021.1, Boris The Animal, canceled.2021.2, MAGA MAN, iewitness, Irish, CFM, Ralph, Bigdog, TTQ64, Getin the ring, zymurgy, Superfreak, PraiseKek, Eagle_Eye, katzgar, countryboy, volsrock, The Ugly Truth, BodyDouble, Mitchthomas20172017, coolzone, rhym3pays and LV426

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming Sends Us Another Major Hurricane. Florence Strongest Storm To Hit Caro

1. #136 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,334 Times in 9,321 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,825 Times in 2,563 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    Agreed. I am reaching that point with him even now.
    any chance you might go into the night for a while?

maybe take 20 minutes off?

2. #137 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Or Old Testament God walking in like a boss to take over from his limp-wristed son who clearly isn't up to running the family business the way it should be.
    Are you saying jesus is a snowflake?

3. #138 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Into the Night,

An interesting argument.

Deflated:

Nothing is perfect. In lieu of perfection we go with the best we can manage. I accept what science has done.
    And "into the night" has impeaching the accuracy of the best we have as a chosen online avocation, it seems. I agree with you.
    Must be a Havana Poon sock puppet.

The earth's temperature is a globally average temperature based upon the data from various and mesne sites, each accurately indicating the temperature that point.
    The global average temperature, therefore, to my mind, does not even claim to be "the temperature," as such, but the average of all these indicators. And going up they are,
    en masse and on average for 100 years.

Frankly his argument is as neophyte as it is absurd and could be applied to impeach ANY scientific observation.
    By his logic timing an apple falling is insufficient unless you do it a trillion instances from every conceivable locationall at once over and over, or have a galactic beancounter
    replicating every atom in the universe in a universe sized computer tpo account for absolutely every atom else it injects bias into the data which cannot be statistically valid.

Rubbish. A child's argument, not a deep thinking one.

4. The Following User Groans At Micawber For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (09-19-2018)

5. #139 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Are you saying jesus is a snowflake?
    Jesus had a hissy and threw a bunch of change across the room. When Big Daddy got pissed, there was sulfur and frogs and shit raining down from the sky and giant waves sinking carbon into the depths of the ocean.

6. #140 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,096 Times in 13,073 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Into the Night,

You might actually check with the National Hurricane Center historical data. That data shows no increase in the frequency or intensity of storms. It also shows no increase in how 'slow' the storms are moving (yes, they do track that).
    It cannot be ignored that this has been a very serious slow moving killer storm.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

7. #141 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Into The Night,

This isn't a science problem. It's a math problem.

Science is even involved here. Science is not data. It is a set of falsifiable theories. Both observations and the data generated by them are subject to the problems of phenomenology. They are evidence only.

The problem here is there is no data in the first place. Mathematically, it is not possible to produce such data using the instrumentation we have today.
    It's social science thing. Do you dispute the existence of the term? Discount that it is meaningful?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

8. #142 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Into the Night,

Agreed. I am reaching that point with him even now.
    If I was conservative I would have anybody who acts like evince towards me on Ignore.

9. #143 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello anonymoose,

Quote Originally Posted by anonymoose View Post
    I don't debate the mentally ill. You are mentally ill. That's why you are thread banned more than anybody else. You muck up threads.
    That's an interesting idea. I never considered it.

The only reason I don't have evince on Ignore is because she doesn't flame on me. But if she's gonna come into my threads and tick everybody off, maybe that's not helping the discussion.

I've tried to discuss it with her and she's extremely defensive.

Perhaps I should begin thread-banning her.

I have to decide if I think she is really helping my position or hurting it by agreeing with me.

I'll have to mull that over a bit.

What about it, evince?

Can you tone it down while you're in one of my threads?

I know you can suspend the flames while talking to me.....

Can you extend that to my guests and try to stick to the issues instead?

It's really not about the posters, you know.

It's the issues.

Always has been.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

anonymoose (09-19-2018)

11. #144 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,944 Times in 11,530 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,361 Times in 1,347 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Into the Night,

It cannot be ignored that this has been a very serious slow moving killer storm.
    ...So?

12. #145 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Hello Into The Night,

It's social science thing. Do you dispute the existence of the term? Discount that it is meaningful?
    No, it's a math problem...as I've described.

13. #146 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Social science is not precise. It was never claimed this was a precise figure. It is the best estimate which can be made.

Unless you have some other explanation why all these additional deaths occurred following the hurricane.

I see this 'nothing burger' downgraded storm Florence has killed 36 people already.

But at least they can finally drive in and out of Wilmington, after the city was cut off for days following the storm, completely inaccessible by car.

14. #147 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

To the OP, I do believe we are reaching a tipping point on acceptance of the idea that global warming is causing discrete weather events.
    To me it would be some extravagant argument to accept global warming affects the totality of climate and not the constituent weather events
    that in totality comprise it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-20-2018)

16. #148 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No, it's a math problem...as I've described.
    canard is to your reasoning as canary is to your avatar....close

17. #149 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

To Canard's point, it is legitimate to quarrel with the recipe of the study as for example deaths in Puerto Rico.
    But so long as the method is published and science is followed, it is indeed scientific. By all means, report more variables
    that you consider confounding and do your own data gathering. But as long as a study just to be arbitrary posits
    6 variables that can contribute to a death, and gathers all those deaths, and hypothesizes that say number 4 is
    the hurricane, if after controlling for the other 5, number 4 is still strong, it is fair to report under the study
    4 as most causative and give said number of deaths.

Warts and all, that IS science. That's how it always works.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Micawber For This Post:

PoliTalker (09-20-2018)

19. #150 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Social science is not precise. It was never claimed this was a precise figure. It is the best estimate which can be made.

Unless you have some other explanation why all these additional deaths occurred following the hurricane.
    What additional deaths? Those figures haven't been published yet!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Truth Detector (09-20-2018)