Thread: Federal deficit grows by 32% to $900B

1. #526 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,773 Times in 27,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    No, debt is debt. True, there is so-called 'good' debt, and there is also the 'bad' debt. What't the difference?

Good debt creates more wealth than it takes to pay off the debt.
    Bad debt does not.

Governments do not produce wealth. They do not produce anything. They are costs. They are there to keep thieves and murderers at bay. When they BECOME thieves and murderers, that's a problem.

Much of the debt incurred by the government is bad debt. It is used to maintain a level of spending beyond their means for things like Senator Boondoggle's monument to government waste. It is used to give money away to people that likewise don't produce anything (like the generational welfare crowd).

Can a government have good debt? Sure! Borrowing to build roads pays for itself in improved economies, and the resulting tax revenue increase pays for the debt and plus. Creating NASA and going to the Moon created tremendous wealth in this country. NASA today isn't what it once was then, of course. The Arpanet project by DARPA was a good investment. Look at the wealth created out of thin air for that!

Bad debt is not a tool. It's a ball and chain.
    you don't get the final decision on that one

that is for the people to decide how they will run the nation

If you don't use debt wisely you don't get rich

If you don't use debt like the financial tool it is you never get much of anywhere

Corporations run debt all the time to build into the future

so should the government

the people want those things you don't want

they want roads

schools

bridges

police hospitals

firefighters

clean water

clean air

regulations on corporations who have proven over and over again they refuse to place people first

they use all the infrastructure

so your idiot rants is meaningless

2. #527 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,773 Times in 27,247 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,590 Times in 18,179 Posts
    Blog Entries

Non-sequitur fallacy. The argument I made was, "Price controls don't work. They always cause shortages."
    link

you just saying something without proof is meaningless

3. #528 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,977 Times in 32,292 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Deficits are not the problem. Spending is the problem.
    why do you waste our time repeating that shit.....there are deficits because spending is the problem.......now stfu.....

4. #529 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"...there are deficits because spending is the problem...." PP #528
    - piffle -

Deficit means spending exceeds revenue.
    It would be just as true to say: ...there are deficits because insufficient revenue is the problem... .

Slashing spending is the refrain of the ignorant. President Trump declared NATO obsolete, and threatened to withdraw the U.S. from NATO. After Trump was informed of his folly he flip-flopped.

Certainly with a budget as big as that of the U.S. there's room to $cut.

But every status quo has a constituency. How do you think we got here?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. #530 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    You'd be surprised what Democrats think these days. But, yes, Democrats like the idea of a flat tax- always have really.

As for the bottom feeders and dregs you are tunnel visioned on, let them draw their limited handouts, because the Democrats intend to raise the minimum wage to $15.00 and no one will want to limit themselves to welfare anymore- not when you can draw $15.00 an hour and make $3200 a month.

You know it's not rocket science- never has been. All we ever needed was a minimum wage that keeps up with inflation to get people off of welfare!
    What we need is for those with skills so low they have to beg for a minimum wage increase to do is stop begging that someone give them $15/hour for $2/hour skills. It must be sad for you knowing that the only way you could ever get that amount is for a law to be passed.

6. #531 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,079 Times in 7,507 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,104 Times in 1,049 Posts

Democrats with three digit IQs definitely do NOT like the flat rate tax idea.

The progressive income tax is the mainstay of a civilized nation and even a semi-civilized one like ours.

As for Banjofuck, if it weren't for him, I wouldn't know that food stamps could be used to pay for internet access.

7. #532 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,039 Times in 2,191 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 603 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    What we need is for those with skills so low they have to beg for a minimum wage increase to do is stop begging that someone give them $15/hour for $2/hour skills. It must be sad for you knowing that the only way you could ever get that amount is for a law to be passed.
    Dude, the minimum wage only means, "I would pay you a lot less, if I only could".

The last time we set a minimum wage for $7.30 back in 1992, you could still buy a brand new car for $12K- you could buy a brand new 3 bedroom house for $68K.

Let me just do the math for you. Basically, the price of homes or cars have tripled since then. So, even if the minimum wage was to keep up with inflation, we should actually be paying $21.90 an hour as a minimum wage just to keep up.

You cannot have a country that allows prices to triple for everything bought and sold in the country- except the cost of labor. Labor may be just another commodity, but it has a cost to it, and that cost should always keep up with inflation.

Government can't just protect the interests of big business and totally ignore the concerns of workers, consumers, and families. When you do that, we are back in the days of sweatshops, monopolies, labor disputes, runaway inflation, poverty, and despair. That is not democracy- that is plutocracy!

You cannot have a country that allows business to take advantage of cheap labor, by allowing cheap labor to even exist in the first place, just because the labor market has no one in the government looking after the worker's interests as well.

8. #533 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

CFM #530

What do you think the minimum wage should be?

tq
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

9. #534 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    why do you waste our time repeating that shit.....there are deficits because spending is the problem.......now stfu.....
    Don just added to both while cutting taxes to subsidize the ruling aristocracy.

10. #535 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Our predatory capitalists have another way currently up and running; you subsidize their workers so that they as employers don't have to pay them enough to live on.

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc.../#6a17112b720b

Taxpayers shouldn’t subsidize Amazon’s growth
    http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2017/s...mazons-growth/

Taxpayers shouldn’t be subsidizing the growth of Amazon, the world’s largest internet-based retailer. Our public policy shouldn’t bend toward giving handouts to a company that had a revenue of almost $136 billion last year, and whose CEO, Jeff Bezos, has a net worth hovering around $90 billion, making him one of the richest people on the planet.

But outrageously, that’s exactly what’s happening across America. Governments are buying into the fallacy that using corporate welfare to attract Amazon is going to be beneficial to our communities and offset millions of dollars in subsidies. In Baltimore, Amazon received $43 million in subsidies. In Jacksonville, Fla., the subsidy windfall for Amazon has topped $26 million. Joliet, Ill. has handed the company more than $30 million in subsidies, in Kenosha, Wis., subsidies have topped $32 million, and in the state of Pennsylvania, Amazon has been granted subsidies of more than $22 million.

All told, since 2015, Amazon has benefited from at least $241 million in tax abatements, infrastructure improvements and other subsidies in dozens of places, selling the idea that when Amazon comes to town, it will help everybody. But what are taxpayers and communities getting for their money and depleted tax base?

These subsidies help Amazon drive retailers and other competition out of the market by selling products, even at below its own cost. The company is selling more and more of its own products and promoting them over the third-party goods that helped build their business model. With its own products, distribution network and ability to drive competitors out of business, we see the dark underpinnings of a vast monopoly that has the power to permanently change our economy and eliminate our choices and the free market as we know it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fentoine Lum For This Post:

sear (09-15-2018)

12. #536 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

FL #535

It's corporate welfare.
    Wal~Mart under-pays them, and the tax payer makes up the difference.

13. #537 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Dude, the minimum wage only means, "I would pay you a lot less, if I only could".

The last time we set a minimum wage for $7.30 back in 1992, you could still buy a brand new car for $12K- you could buy a brand new 3 bedroom house for $68K.

Let me just do the math for you. Basically, the price of homes or cars have tripled since then. So, even if the minimum wage was to keep up with inflation, we should actually be paying $21.90 an hour as a minimum wage just to keep up.

You cannot have a country that allows prices to triple for everything bought and sold in the country- except the cost of labor. Labor may be just another commodity, but it has a cost to it, and that cost should always keep up with inflation.

Government can't just protect the interests of big business and totally ignore the concerns of workers, consumers, and families. When you do that, we are back in the days of sweatshops, monopolies, labor disputes, runaway inflation, poverty, and despair. That is not democracy- that is plutocracy!

You cannot have a country that allows business to take advantage of cheap labor, by allowing cheap labor to even exist in the first place, just because the labor market has no one in the government looking after the worker's interests as well.
    The minimum means the government tells a business they have to pay someone more than they're worth. Businesses should be able to pay someone whatever the business wants.

The skills it took to do a minimum age job in 1992 are the same ones it takes to do the same job today. Sorry, no improvement in skills, no increase in pay.

While you may support it, I don't support the concept of 'I breather, therefore, someone owes me more'.

Sure you can have that country. If you continue to give people something just because they exist, there is no incentive to get better.

When you offer cheap skills, you get a lower pay.

14. #538 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Our predatory capitalists have another way currently up and running; you subsidize their workers so that they as employers don't have to pay them enough to live on.

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/clareoc.../#6a17112b720b

Taxpayers shouldn’t subsidize Amazon’s growth
    http://amsterdamnews.com/news/2017/s...mazons-growth/

Easy solution. Stop providing social welfare. Deal?

If someone isn't making enough to live on, they should improve their skills. No one owes them a living.

Are you saying if social welfare didn't exist Walmart would pay people more?

15. #539 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    you don't get the final decision on that one
    I am not making a decision. I am describing what is.
    that is for the people to decide how they will run the nation
    I am not talking about a decision. Remember, we are not a democracy in the United States.
    If you don't use debt wisely you don't get rich
    I already described this, and what 'wisely' is.
    If you don't use debt like the financial tool it is you never get much of anywhere
    I already described this too.
    Corporations run debt all the time to build into the future
    Sometimes good debt, sometimes bad debt.
    so should the government
    I have no problem with good debt.
    the people want those things you don't want
    they want roads
    I never said I don't want roads.
    schools
    I never said I don't want schools. The federal government has no authority over schools.
    bridges
    I never said I don't want bridges. They are part of the roads you say I don't want.
    police
    I never said I don't want police.
    hospitals
    I never said I don't want hospitals. The federal government has no authority over creating hospitals.
    firefighters
    Firefighters are not federal government.
    clean water
    Clean water is not created by any government.
    clean air
    Clean air is not created by any government.
    regulations on corporations who have proven over and over again they refuse to place people first
    Little needed. Corporations that do not place their customers first die.
    they use all the infrastructure
    So?
    so your idiot rants is meaningless
    You seem to carry a lot of anger and assume a rant where there is none.

16. #540 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,129 Times in 11,701 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

link

you just saying something without proof is meaningless
    Non-sequitur fallacy. The argument I made was, "Price controls don't work. They always cause shortages."