Thread: Federal deficit grows by 32% to $900B

1. #541 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,179 Times in 11,744 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    why do you waste our time repeating that shit.....there are deficits because spending is the problem.......now stfu.....
    I already explained this. Argument of the stone.

2. #542 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    What we need is for those with skills so low they have to beg for a minimum wage increase to do is stop begging that someone give them $15/hour for $2/hour skills. It must be sad for you knowing that the only way you could ever get that amount is for a law to be passed.
    It is because they don't understand market forces.

3. #543 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Dude, the minimum wage only means, "I would pay you a lot less, if I only could".

The last time we set a minimum wage for $7.30 back in 1992, you could still buy a brand new car for $12K- you could buy a brand new 3 bedroom house for $68K.

Let me just do the math for you. Basically, the price of homes or cars have tripled since then. So, even if the minimum wage was to keep up with inflation, we should actually be paying $21.90 an hour as a minimum wage just to keep up.

You cannot have a country that allows prices to triple for everything bought and sold in the country- except the cost of labor. Labor may be just another commodity, but it has a cost to it, and that cost should always keep up with inflation.

Government can't just protect the interests of big business and totally ignore the concerns of workers, consumers, and families. When you do that, we are back in the days of sweatshops, monopolies, labor disputes, runaway inflation, poverty, and despair. That is not democracy- that is plutocracy!

You cannot have a country that allows business to take advantage of cheap labor, by allowing cheap labor to even exist in the first place, just because the labor market has no one in the government looking after the worker's interests as well.
    Price controls don't work. They inevitable cause shortages. All a minimum wage does is put people out of work.

4. #544 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Our predatory capitalists
    This is right out of Karl Marx. Capitalism is not predatory.
    have another way currently up and running; you subsidize their workers so that they as employers don't have to pay them enough to live on.

Report: Walmart Workers Cost Taxpayers $6.2 Billion In Public Assistance
    Walmart succeeds because people go in there to buy stuff, not because of 'subsidies' (which aren't subsidies). A tax break is not a subsidy. I guess you would rather not have Walmart at all, and that includes the jobs they provide and the convenience they provide for their customers.
    Taxpayers shouldn’t subsidize Amazon’s growth
    Tax breaks are not subsidies. Amazon succeeds because people buy stuff from their web site. Lately, they also succeed because people buy use of their cloud services they've built, which their own website runs on.
    Again, I guess you would rather not have any of the jobs that Amazon brings to a community at all. Zero is better than low wages to you.

No one...and I mean no one...is entitled to any wage. Minimum wage laws are price controls. Price controls never work. They always cause shortages. The free market is immortal. You can't kill it. Price discovery is the ONLY workable way to figure the price of a product or service.

Want to make more money? Then make yourself worth more to somebody! Get an education, get training in a skill, get some motivation, get SOMETHING that makes you worth more than the unskilled, the unmotivated, and the uneducated. For example, learn to code. Amazon will pay you more for that over paying someone to shove boxes around in a warehouse.

Bezos succeeds because he provides products and services that people are willing to pay for at the price he is asking for it. It's as simple as that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Into the Night For This Post:

Joe Capitalist (09-15-2018)

6. #545 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,411 Times in 6,064 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 606 Times in 570 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf_Twitler View Post
    Dude, the minimum wage only means, "I would pay you a lot less, if I only could".

The last time we set a minimum wage for $7.30 back in 1992, you could still buy a brand new car for $12K- you could buy a brand new 3 bedroom house for $68K.

Let me just do the math for you. Basically, the price of homes or cars have tripled since then. So, even if the minimum wage was to keep up with inflation, we should actually be paying $21.90 an hour as a minimum wage just to keep up.

You cannot have a country that allows prices to triple for everything bought and sold in the country- except the cost of labor. Labor may be just another commodity, but it has a cost to it, and that cost should always keep up with inflation.

Government can't just protect the interests of big business and totally ignore the concerns of workers, consumers, and families. When you do that, we are back in the days of sweatshops, monopolies, labor disputes, runaway inflation, poverty, and despair. That is not democracy- that is plutocracy!

You cannot have a country that allows business to take advantage of cheap labor, by allowing cheap labor to even exist in the first place, just because the labor market has no one in the government looking after the worker's interests as well.
    People can't live on minimum wage? Who made living on minimum wage a mandate?
    I am adamantly against the government setting wages. Let the market decide the wages. That's what capitalism is all about. Nobody's taking advantage of anybody. Businesses need minimum wage workers. Minimum wage workers need businesses. It's a symbiotic relationship. Wages are commensurate with skills and the demand for those skills. It's the cornerstone of capitalism.
    Why the hatefest against businesses? Private industry makes the country run. And Americans get rich investing in theses companies. Federal Government never made anybody rich...Except for politicians.
    Judge Juan M. Merchan wrote that Trump “appears to take the position that his situation and this case are unique and that the pre-trial publicity will never subside. However, this view does not align with reality.”

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Joe Capitalist For This Post:

Into the Night (09-16-2018)

8. #546 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,002 Times in 32,307 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Don just added to both while cutting taxes to subsidize the ruling aristocracy.
    I know.......I love the fact that my taxes went down and you people who don't pay taxes didn't get a cut..........

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2018)

10. #547 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 41,002 Times in 32,307 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,870 Times in 2,757 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    I already explained this. Argument of the stone.
    you mean you made the argument of a stone head........

11. The Following User Groans At PostmodernProphet For This Awful Post:

Into the Night (09-17-2018)

12. #548 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,424 Times in 10,050 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,947 Times in 2,728 Posts

Price controls don't work. They inevitable cause shortages. All a minimum wage does is put people out of work.
    In 2014, 13 states all raised their minimum wage, and all 13 had faster job growth in the aggregate than the 37 states that didn't raise their minimum wages.

States That Raised Minimum Wage See Faster Job Growth, Report Says
    In a report on Friday, the 13 states that raised their minimum wages on Jan. 1 have added jobs at a faster pace than those that did not.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...th-report-says
    When I die, turn me into a brick and use me to cave in the skull of a fascist

13. #549 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Capitalism is not predatory.
    Yes it is.

"Predatory loans" most definitely exist and were prevalent during the mortgage bubble Conservatives were inflating in the 00's. In fact, Conservatives were such fans of predatory lending that they enacted a 19th-century OCC rule that removed state protections specifically against predatory lending back in 2003:

In 2003, during the height of the predatory lending crisis, the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks. The federal government's actions were so egregious and so unprecedented that all 50 state attorneys general, and all 50 state banking superintendents, actively fought the new rules.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1

14. #550 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Tax breaks are not subsidies
    Sure they are. Taxpayer-funded breaks to preserve corporate profits. Completely subsidies. It's silly to pretend they're not.

No one...and I mean no one...is entitled to any wage.
    And no one...and I mean no one...is entitled to own a business.

15. #551 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Price controls never work. They always cause shortages.
    In 2014, 13 states all raised their minimum wage and all 13 states saw faster job growth than the 37 states that didn't.

16. #552 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Want to make more money? Then make yourself worth more to somebody! Get an education, get training in a skill, get some motivation, get SOMETHING that makes you worth more than the unskilled, the unmotivated, and the uneducated. For example, learn to code. Amazon will pay you more for that over paying someone to shove boxes around in a warehous
    So here comes the part where a Conservative, who won't divulge any personal details on this board, tries to subjectively judge the worth of someone's employment. How about we put you under the microscope and determine your value and worth? Let's see...I don't see you doing anything but posting non-stop 24/7 on these boards, even after your previous account was probably suspended. So what do you actually do for society? Nothing. You just posture on a message board. Fact is, you're probably one of those "unskilled, unmotivated, and uneducated" people you are trying to judge here. That's pretty typical projection from an insecure Conservative, and would be par for the course.

I would never judge your job based on my subjective opinion, but I sure as shit will judge your character. And you appear to have no moral character. You're just a posturing fraud.

17. #553 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LV426 View Post
    Yes it is.

"Predatory loans" most definitely exist and were prevalent during the mortgage bubble Conservatives were inflating in the 00's. In fact, Conservatives were such fans of predatory lending that they enacted a 19th-century OCC rule that removed state protections specifically against predatory lending back in 2003:

In 2003, during the height of the predatory lending crisis, the OCC invoked a clause from the 1863 National Bank Act to issue formal opinions preempting all state predatory lending laws, thereby rendering them inoperative. The OCC also promulgated new rules that prevented states from enforcing any of their own consumer protection laws against national banks. The federal government's actions were so egregious and so unprecedented that all 50 state attorneys general, and all 50 state banking superintendents, actively fought the new rules.
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...d=opinionsbox1
    You seem to think that all loans are predatory, that all capitalists are predatory, etc. You are a bigot. Those banks and institutions that made such loans in the mid 2000's were PROTECTED BY OBAMA. They should have been left to go bankrupt. Those loans were caused by a Fed putting out easy money.

18. #554 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Sure they are. Taxpayer-funded breaks to preserve corporate profits. Completely subsidies. It's silly to pretend they're not.
    Taxes breaks are not subsidies. They are not taxpayer funded.
    And no one...and I mean no one...is entitled to own a business.
    Who decides who can own a business??? You??? You are not a dictator, dude!

19. #555 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

In 2014, 13 states all raised their minimum wage and all 13 states saw faster job growth than the 37 states that didn't.
    Argument from randU fallacy.