1. #91 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,099 Times in 11,672 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,366 Times in 1,352 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Or just have that new sockpuppet
    I see you are one of those that believe everyone that disagrees with you is a sock of someone else that disagrees with you.
    explain why Venus is hotter than Mercury given their respective distances from the sun.
    Because Venus has a very thick atmosphere, and Mercury doesn't. The atmosphere on Venus is far more effective at conducting heat from the surface into the atmosphere. It is so thick that despite the very long length of day on Venus, temperatures between the daytime and nighttime are virtually identical. Also, like any atmosphere, it is heated by the Sun directly.
    I assume the jerk is trolling. Nobody can be that stupid. He is pretending to fail to know of the scientific basis for the
    greenhouse effect.
    There is no scientific basis for the so-called 'greenhouse effect'. No gas or vapor is capable of warming the Earth using the infrared light emitted from the Earth.
    That or home schooled.
    Ah...the usual bigotry against home schooling. No, I wasn't home schooled.

2. #92 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The whole creationism belief system thing does create quite the conundrum. At what point does their freedom
    of expression and to raise their children as they see fit become a form of child abuse that must yield to the state's
    interest in not having kid's brains trashed? Doesn't the state have an interest in protecting the young from
    having their lives ruined? How do we protect the population from mass fraud and cults, from beliefs that absolutely
    bar adherents from participating in the job market in society, one that sorely needs great minds in science.
    So what is the difference between that and the child abuse by use for raising kids in your religion? (Yes...you are treating atheism as a fundamentalist religion)
    If I had a job offering for an anthropologist and two applicants, a creationist and an ex convict with nazi tats all over his face,
    I'd have to hire the convict.
    Fine. Hope the creationist sues your lights out. Did you know what most places don't let you ask these kinds of questions during a job interview?
    Creationist beliefs disqualify a person from participation in any field of biological sciences,
    Biology existed long before Darwin. It has a lot of religious scientists working in it too.
    or frankly, any science.
    You can't understand basic physics,geology and astronomy
    So you write off Galileo, Kepler, Descartes, Heisnenberg, etc. as 'unqualified in physics or any science'. Nice job, dude. You have clearly shown your bigotry and religious fundamentalism in atheism.
    and believe in a young earth.
    Not all Christians believe in a young Earth. We have no idea how old the Earth is.
    Isn't it child abuse to teach your kids to be unemployable except as a low paid internet troll for right wing causes?
    As opposed to calling it child abuse to teach your kids to unemployable except as a low paid internet troll for left wing causes?

3. #93 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

You are a borderline solipsist.
    You think so? Not true. I just happen to understand the rules of logic, including that particular proof.
    Which of the following beliefs do you adopt:

1. we cannot know the speed of light because our eyes are insufficient to directly apprehend anything that fast
    2. we can detect the speed of light using tools that reliably translate its speed of C into a form we can observe with our senses
    3. although 2 is true, we cannot exclude infinite variables we cannot apprehend that interrupt the travel of light back to its source
    at distances that exceed 6000 years because my retarded creationist exegesis insists that's when Jebus clicked his ruby slippers
    2, to a degree. Instruments are great at extending our own natural senses, but they are only so accurate. Fortunately, we can determine their tolerance as well.

The teachable moment here for you is that you can not reject the logical and rational extension of science because you can conjure
    an interceding cause that might conceivably interrupt its application. If you do, it is you, not the rule or law, that is injecting an
    invisible force.
    I'm not trying to interrupt its application.

4. #94 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    As an adult student who has taken several college-level science courses, I have to agree with this. I have seen kids struggling in microbiology, biology, human A&P, and even in chemistry because they were told as kids that evolution is a wrongful "belief". Even in sociology, a fellow student became irate during a discussion of racism in which the textbook referenced racist beliefs that black people are closely related to apes, unlike the non-black superior white race. She wanted to know why there are still monkeys if humans evolved from the ape species. She appeared to be very offended that her religious belief in creationism was being unfairly attacked. *sigh*
    Don't blame her. Neither the Theory of Evolution nor the Theory of Creation nor the Theory of Abiogenesis are theories of science. None of them are falsifiable.

Biology doesn't depend on the Theory of Evolution.Textbooks and instructors teaching religion as 'science' is a big problem, especially when that religion is taught in a bigoted and racist manner (also a big problem in our universities today).

5. #95 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,607 Times in 10,570 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 578 Times in 535 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PostmodernProphet View Post
    I would say that 95% of all Christians believe that......that isn't inconsistent with what the Bible says.......the 6k argument comes from a guy in the 1800s named Ussher, not from the bible..........
    I think it comes from the lineage, first from Adam, then from Abraham to Joseph and Mary to show the correct Lineage for him to be the Messiah. Basically if you add up the first man, from the 7th day's age and all the begats to get that lineage, it would mean the Earth wasn't quite old enough for Dinosaurs to exist if you consider the time of "void" to mean lifeless...

My mother believed the Dinosaurs came from the time of the "void" Earth... When God came to Earth and it was void and darkness covered the face of the deep...
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

6. #96 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

really?......I had assumed when you laughed at people you were backsliding.......
    Well, yeah. But laughing at ideas not so much.
    Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but rather we have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.
    - -- Aristotle

Believe nothing on the faith of traditions, even though they have been held in honor for many generations and in diverse places. Do not believe a thing because many people speak of it. Do not believe on the faith of the sages of the past. Do not believe what you yourself have imagined, persuading yourself that a God inspires you. Believe nothing on the sole authority of your masters and priests. After examination, believe what you yourself have tested and found to be reasonable, and conform your conduct thereto.
    - -- The Buddha

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - -- Aristotle

7. #97 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 124 Times in 114 Posts

here is a good teacher on the subject of genesis and he does not waste time. . I know a many of you bastards have many things to say about this teacher, and mainstream religionists say he is a false teacher. I do not agree with all his teachings, but this scientific part of his teaching is good. let you that are without sin cast the first stone.
    Even so, Come, Lord Jesus
    I do not participate in delusion count me out

8. #98 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,967 Times in 32,282 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Damocles View Post
    I think it comes from the lineage, first from Adam, then from Abraham to Joseph and Mary to show the correct Lineage for him to be the Messiah. Basically if you add up the first man, from the 7th day's age and all the begats to get that lineage, it would mean the Earth wasn't quite old enough for Dinosaurs to exist if you consider the time of "void" to mean lifeless...

My mother believed the Dinosaurs came from the time of the "void" Earth... When God came to Earth and it was void and darkness covered the face of the deep...
    nope.....Usscher..........by the way, how many days do you think passed between Genesis 2 and Genesis 3.......

9. #99 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post

There is no scientific basis for the so-called 'greenhouse effect'. No gas or vapor is capable of warming the Earth using the infrared light emitted from the Earth.

I'll just leave this stupidity here as a home school caused microphone dropper.

10. #100 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

nope.....Usscher..........by the way, how many days do you think passed between Genesis 2 and Genesis 3.......
    Personally? I think it is a myth... However, if I were to believe I'd be more along the lines that the 7 days was accelerated timeline. An all powerful being could absolutely accelerate time while directing evolution to make 4 billion years happen in just a few "days".

The reality is it tells you how long each of the people lived. It isn't difficult to add up that timeline. You can blame Usscher, and you wouldn't be wrong in a large part, but the story itself tells you how long the people lived in the "begats". Adding it all up and even being generous with time doesn't get you 4+ billion years, no matter how hard you try to make it happen.
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

11. #101 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Into the Night View Post
    You think so? Not true. I just happen to understand the rules of logic, including that particular proof.

2, to a degree. Instruments are great at extending our own natural senses, but they are only so accurate. Fortunately, we can determine their tolerance as well.

I'm not trying to interrupt its application.
    Then you must reject the bible genesis story and all the superstitious bullshit throughout the cobbled together biblical fable, new and old testament.
    If not, Into the night, you are a liar to us and perhaps to yourself. I have zero respect for you and forever you shall suffer my block!

12. #102 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Personally? I think it is a myth... However, if I were to believe I'd be more along the lines that the 7 days was accelerated timeline. An all powerful being could absolutely accelerate time while directing evolution to make 4 billion years happen in just a few "days".

The reality is it tells you how long each of the people lived. It isn't difficult to add up that timeline. You can blame Usscher, and you wouldn't be wrong in a large part, but the story itself tells you how long the people lived in the "begats". Adding it all up and even being generous with time doesn't get you 4+ billion years, no matter how hard you try to make it happen.
    An all powerful being could.....

duh.

13. #103 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

An all powerful being could.....

duh.
    Right. Should I wish to believe that would be where I would apply the magic powers to explain my beliefs. It is relatively simple... If you want science and your mythology to meet hand in hand it isn't difficult... Then we can all start figuring out the natural laws, and the believers can be in awe and figure out the "how" each of these things were done without worrying about it. Atheists and Christians could work in science without some of them trying to "prove" that Earth is only 10K years old...
    - -- Aristotle

- -- The Buddha

- -- Aristotle

14. #104 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

wrong time line......I'm talking about the gap between creation and the fall.......I think a lot of people expect that since all you have to do is turn a page it must have happened right away........it could have as easily been millions of years........

15. #105 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Atheists and Christians could work in science without some of them trying to "prove" that Earth is only 10K years old...
    the reality is hardly any do, but its all atheists fix on.......