Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is there such a thing as absolute truth?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 73 Times in 64 Posts

Default Is there such a thing as absolute truth?

This should be a no brainer. Any bets on how many fools try to deny absolute truth?

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,041 Times in 13,848 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,042 Times in 2,838 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grugore View Post
    This should be a no brainer. Any bets on how many fools try to deny absolute truth?
    Not to get philosophical and all, but absolute, no, think of the tree falling in the woods thing

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Not to get philosophical and all, but absolute, no, think of the tree falling in the woods thing
    Answer the question. Yes or no. No qualifications. Just answer yes or no.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Grugore,

"Is there such a thing as absolute truth?"
    No.

Each of us perceives the world in a different way. And each of our perceptions is constantly changing. The first time you see something you form a mental picture of it. The longer you study it, the more details are filled in. Your first impression of something is not the same as your modified one. Sometimes, due to shortness of allowed time to gather details perhaps, we fill in details which are not there. Later, if we notice the difference, we correct the error with more accurate information. If we never notice the difference, we believe the incorrect detail is 'the truth.'

When two humans look at the same thing, they notice different details. The perception each has, thus differs.

If they both subsequently add the missing details, they both have the same perception. Generally, this rarely occurs.

Each individual's perception of the world is unique.
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (09-07-2018), Cypress (09-10-2018), Guno צְבִי (09-07-2018)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Grugore,

No.

Each of us perceives the world in a different way. And each of our perceptions is constantly changing. The first time you see something you form a mental picture of it. The longer you study it, the more details are filled in. Your first impression of something is not the same as your modified one. Sometimes, due to shortness of allowed time to gather details perhaps, we fill in details which are not there. Later, if we notice the difference, we correct the error with more accurate information. If we never notice the difference, we believe the incorrect detail is 'the truth.'

When two humans look at the same thing, they notice different details. The perception each has, thus differs.

If they both subsequently add the missing details, they both have the same perception. Generally, this rarely occurs.

Each individual's perception of the world is unique.
    You are completely missing the point. Think about it. Something is either true or it is not. Ones perception has nothing to do with it.

7. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Answer the question. Yes or no. No qualifications. Just answer yes or no.
    In that case, no

8. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

In that case, no
    Then why should I believe you? You believe your statement to be true, while stating that there is no truth. Do you see the problem?

9. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You are completely missing the point. Think about it. Something is either true or it is not. Ones perception has nothing to do with it.
    Not that simple, does God exist, a question beyond "is either true or it is not." What is liberty, freedom, all abstract concepts that transcend simple dialectical responses

10. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (09-07-2018)

11. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not that simple, does God exist, a question beyond "is either true or it is not." What is liberty, freedom, all abstract concepts that transcend simple dialectical responses
    Once again, why should I believe you, if there is no truth?

12. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Then why should I believe you? You believe your statement to be true, while stating that there is no truth. Do you see the problem?
    Exactly, that is why philosophically absolute truth doesn't exist, which was the opening question, Solipsism contended all reality is created in the mind, but common sense, and deductive reasoning gives us a what might be refereed to as a consensus reality

13. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Exactly, that is why philosophically absolute truth doesn't exist, which was the opening question, Solipsism contended all reality is created in the mind, but common sense, and deductive reasoning gives us a what might be refereed to as a consensus reality
    I'm drinking an iced tea right now. I'm having a discussion with you about absolute truth. The screen on my smart phone is cracked and the screen is too small for my liking. All of these statements are demonstrably true.

14. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

You are attempting to use the same argument that Giuliani was referring to, and Atheist Humanists believe. Philosophy defines Absolute Truth as ""Inflexible reality: fixed, invariable, unalterable facts. For example, it is a fixed, invariable, unalterable fact that there are absolutely no square circles and there are absolutely no round squares."

You want to use the three blind men describing an elephant by touching three different parts of the elephants body argument. All are correct for the particular part they are touching (perspective), and yet all are wrong.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Trapper For This Post:

Jack (09-07-2018)

16. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,548 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 215 Times in 201 Posts

I'm drinking an iced tea right now. I'm having a discussion with you about absolute truth. The screen on my smart phone is cracked and the screen is too small for my liking. All of these statements are demonstrably true.
    Except for the limitation of your ability to prove them to be true. So, you have not proven an absolute truth, just what your limited abilities can prove via the medium being used.
    "2Timothy 3 "But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away"

17. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    You are attempting to use the same argument that Giuliani was referring to, and Atheist Humanists believe. Philosophy defines Absolute Truth as ""Inflexible reality: fixed, invariable, unalterable facts. For example, it is a fixed, invariable, unalterable fact that there are absolutely no square circles and there are absolutely no round squares."

You want to use the three blind men describing an elephant by touching three different parts of the elephants body argument. All are correct for the particular part they are touching (perspective), and yet all are wrong.
    No, Giuliani's attempt was superficial, right up there with the bogus "alternate facts" arguments

Your latter example is based upon inductive reasoning, not deductive, which indirectly leads to the point you are making, but to return to the opening post, the question was asked if absolute truth existed, which the answer is no, philosophically, the tree falling in the woods thing is accurate

18. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Old Trapper View Post
    Except for the limitation of your ability to prove them to be true. So, you have not proven an absolute truth, just what your limited abilities can prove via the medium being used.
    I cannot prove anything, nevertheless it is the truth.