Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Women Need To Carry Guns When Going Out Alone.

1. #241 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SmarterthanYou View Post
    the academy training in most states requires only 12 hours of firearms training and qualification. that's it. after that, it's a yearly qualification process that is an 8 hour day spent practicing on the day they qualify.
    As you should be able to see, that supports my claim. Do you know what it takes to get a concealed carry permit in most states? Let's take a liberal state like Massachusetts as an example. You have to fill out a form, take a couple hours of "basic firearms safety course," then apply at your town's police HQ. That's it. You can have a concealed carry permit without ever having touched a firearm in your life. You can be walking around with a gun on your hip without ever having fired one. That's part of what makes the situation of police different, in that they have actual training requirements.

2. #242 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,617 Times in 2,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,328 Times in 1,225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post
    As you should be able to see, that supports my claim. Do you know what it takes to get a concealed carry permit in most states? Let's take a liberal state like Massachusetts as an example. You have to fill out a form, take a couple hours of "basic firearms safety course," then apply at your town's police HQ. That's it. You can have a concealed carry permit without ever having touched a firearm in your life. You can be walking around with a gun on your hip without ever having fired one. That's part of what makes the situation of police different, in that they have actual training requirements.
    the massachusetts concealed carry license requires a approved firearms training course, which also includes a qualifying score on a live fire range. Mass is also a 'may issue' state where licenses are rarely given. so your information is a bit inaccurate.

the texas course I took is an 8 hour course with just a qualifying score at the end of it. MOST firearms courses for licenses across the country are 99% about teaching people the laws concerning carrying, it's expected that a person already knows how to shoot and the qualifying score is an example of that.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

3. #243 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

the massachusetts concealed carry license requires a approved firearms training course, which also includes a qualifying score on a live fire range.
    Incorrect. What made you think that? The course does not have to include even touching a firearm, much less passing a live fire test.

Mass is also a 'may issue' state where licenses are rarely given.
    It's a "may issue" state, but what makes you think licenses are rarely given?

4. #244 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Incorrect. What made you think that? The course does not have to include even touching a firearm, much less passing a live fire test.
    the application for a concealed license requires a certification that you've passed an approved firearms safety course, which includes a live firing. learn your state laws

It's a "may issue" state, but what makes you think licenses are rarely given?
    i've been working the gun rights activism for over 10 years. RARELY are concealed licenses in big liberal states given. you have to provide a written statement as to why you should be allowed a permit, the 'good cause' and unless you've got a pro gun sheriff, it doesn't happen.
    A sad commentary on we, as a people, and our viewpoint of our freedom can be summed up like this. We have liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans, yet those very people look at Constitutionalists as radical and extreme.................so those liberals and conservatives, Democrats and Republicans must believe that the constitution is radical and extreme.

5. #245 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

the application for a concealed license requires a certification that you've passed an approved firearms safety course, which includes a live firing. learn your state laws
    Not in Massachusetts. What led you to that false conclusion? If you could be specific, I can explain where, exactly, you went wrong.

i've been working the gun rights activism for over 10 years. RARELY are concealed licenses in big liberal states given.
    What makes you think that, specifically? I'm not big on those arguments that take the form of "I know a whole lot, so just take my word on it." I like actual references. Here's one:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/mass-co...-2017/12802600

As you can see, more than one in ten people in Massachusetts is licensed to carry a firearm. Now, that doesn't tell us what percentage of those who apply get them, but I have trouble picturing too much more than one in ten people having bothered to apply, so it seems to suggest a fairly high number are issued the permits. We're talking somewhere in the range of 700,000 people in the state -- hardly a rare thing.

you have to provide a written statement as to why you should be allowed a permit, the 'good cause' and unless you've got a pro gun sheriff, it doesn't happen.
    There's a place on the application that asks your reason. All you need to do is put in "all lawful purposes," or "home defense," or "self defense," etc. Unless you have a very anti-gun sheriff, then, like hundreds of thousands of other residents before you, you'll be issued the license.

6. #246 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Not in Massachusetts. What led you to that false conclusion? If you could be specific, I can explain where, exactly, you went wrong.
    https://www.usacarry.com/massachuset...formation.html

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/firearms-safety

What makes you think that, specifically? I'm not big on those arguments that take the form of "I know a whole lot, so just take my word on it." I like actual references. Here's one:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/mass-co...-2017/12802600

As you can see, more than one in ten people in Massachusetts is licensed to carry a firearm. Now, that doesn't tell us what percentage of those who apply get them, but I have trouble picturing too much more than one in ten people having bothered to apply, so it seems to suggest a fairly high number are issued the permits. We're talking somewhere in the range of 700,000 people in the state -- hardly a rare thing.

There's a place on the application that asks your reason. All you need to do is put in "all lawful purposes," or "home defense," or "self defense," etc. Unless you have a very anti-gun sheriff, then, like hundreds of thousands of other residents before you, you'll be issued the license.
    then i'd say mass has done a huge turnaround.......probably after Heller and Mcdonald were issued. however.....

Jim Wallace, executive director of the Gun Owners Action League in Northborough, says the state’s numbers are misleading. He says police chiefs regularly abuse their discretion and make it more difficult for people to obtain licenses they should be allowed to have. Wallace says some chiefs require applicants to write an essay on the state’s gun laws and state law sets the fee at $100 for a permit, much higher than most other states.

The fact that so many residents are awarded licenses is testament to the perseverance of the applicants not the ease of the permitting process, Wallace says. “All it shows is that people are very determined to get past any hurdles they have to get past in order to exercise their constitutional right,” he says.

Wallace also claims the state’s denial rate is low because the information on the denial is never sent to the state. “It’s one of the things we continue to face. A lot of people get denied before the information even gets to EOPSS [Executive Office of Public Safety and Security],” says Wallace. “What we see is the demand for training has been very high for years now. That’s where we see the anecdotal evidence. We really don’t have a good idea of denials because some of it happens before they’re in the system.”

https://commonwealthmagazine.org/gun...t-gun-permits/

7. #247 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

As you'll see, there's nothing in the Mass link about any practical aspect of the test. I lived in Cambridge, MA for a little while after college and can tell you first hand what it takes to get a concealed carry permit in Massachusetts. The course is about three hours long and consists of nothing but a lecture. There's no shooting aspect of it at all. As I said, you can be carrying a gun on your hip legally in Massachusetts without ever having so much as fired a weapon. I'm now in New York and haven't looked into it here. It might be more difficult.

Wallace says some chiefs require applicants to write an essay on the state’s gun laws and state law sets the fee at $100 for a permit, much higher than most other states.
    I knew a number of people who got firearms in Massachusetts and none had any problem. I suspect some of those who've had issues had them because they're known to their local police in a negative way. If you've shown up on the sheriff's radar for drunk and disorderly or domestic disturbances, etc., I bet they tend to use their discretion to try to keep guns out of your hands. As for the $100 permit, that doesn't strike me as terribly high -- it's roughly in line with driver's licenses, vehicle registrations, etc.