Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smoking is restricted. Should "vaping" or e-cigarette use have the same restrictions?

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,625 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    It's been an ongoing fight with the gubment because big tobacco has taken a giant hit over the last 10 years in revenue with the advent of pvd's (personal vaping devices). Almost overnight a few years back, a pack of cigs went from $1.50 to $4 and $5. They want their money!
    I quit smoking when cigs hit $19 a carton they are now over $100 in some areas. Been smoke free almost 20 years.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Sailor (08-19-2018), Stretch (08-19-2018)

3. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

There have been incidents where those ecigs/vapes have exploded/caught fire. Not sure if it was when they were during use or not but that is a risk to consider.

4. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

"Whenever I been to the Vap store,the strong nicotine sold the best!" MM #12
    Oh.
    Thanks.

So if someone vaping that strong nicotine product indoors was near Larry, that Larry would be at risk of nicotine exposure?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I quit smoking when cigs hit $19 a carton they are now over $100 in some areas. Been smoke free almost 20 years.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,625 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:

Ammonia: Household cleaner
    Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
    Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
    Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
    Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
    Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
    Cadmium: Used in batteries
    Cyanide: Deadly poison
    DDT: A banned insecticide
    Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
    Lead: Poisonous in high doses
    Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
    Methoprene: Insecticide
    Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
    Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
    Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
    Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
    Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

What's in ecig vapor?

1) propylene glycol which is used in baby aspirin (among thousands of other products); it's also been pumped through hospital ac vents since the 50's because it sanitizes the air.
    2) vegetable glycerin
    3) food flavorings
    4) water

That's it.
    I remember when I smoked the government said when you quit after 6 months your lungs would be in X condition, and after 5 years your lungs would be as clear as they were before you started. Today they say if you ever smoked you have or will have COPD.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle_Eye For This Post:

Stretch (08-19-2018)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

G #16

Hurrah!
    Way to go !!

G6 #17

I've seen video of one catching fire while in the dude's pocket. Rather exciting, almost as if someone set off a roman candle in his pants.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    Oh.
    Thanks.

So if someone vaping that strong nicotine product indoors was near Larry, that Larry would be at risk of nicotine exposure?
    No. There's no nic "transfer" in the air to someone else. And, besides, nic doesn't kill anybody. Listen to those 2 videos to further explain.
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-19-2018)

11. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gotcha68 View Post
    There have been incidents where those ecigs/vapes have exploded/caught fire. Not sure if it was when they were during use or not but that is a risk to consider.
    Phones are far worse, should you ban those as well?

12. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,448 Times in 965 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 45 Times in 42 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Havana Moon View Post
    Phones are far worse, should you ban those as well?
    I didn't mention they should be banned. I said it was a risk to consider. Your ability to bring meaning where none was intended is astounding.

13. #25 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

G #16

Hurrah!
    Way to go !!

G6 #17

I've seen video of one catching fire while in the dude's pocket. Rather exciting, almost as if someone set off a roman candle in his pants.
    It's not ecigs that explode. Those stories that came out didn't tell the real story.

Some ecig mods are sold with batteries contained permanently within the mod. I have ones like that. I charge the entire mod with a USB cable and they last about 5 years. Other mods come with an empty separate compartment where one buys their batteries and put them in and then take them out to be charged on a charger, then reinserted. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Here's where the exploding occurs. As with many products which come with instructions and warnings, you have dimwits out there who do not follow the instructions. These people put loose batteries in their pockets where they're banging and clanging around with loose change or keys, etc. and........BOOM! Get the picture? Batteries of ANY kind could do this. These numbnuts should know that batteries should always be kept either in the mods or when out, either they are in their chargers or carried in their protective cases.
    pain in abortion.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

anatta (08-19-2018)

15. #26 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,633 Times in 9,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

OK
    Oh.
    Thanks.

I think so!

16. #27 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,972 Times in 32,287 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,869 Times in 2,756 Posts
    Blog Entries

I switched from tobacco to ecigs on January 20, 2010......back in those days we still had to build our own cartridges and they would last about as long as a cigarette would have.....the by product of vaping is actually H2O in the form of steam.....so, if you are allergic to water, vaping may be hazardous to your health.......I have burned holes in my pocket because of the key chain thing and I did have a lithium battery catch fire and burn a hole in my formica desktop......after that I got a piece of slate roofing shingle and do all my battery charging on top of it.......over the years I worked my nic level from 24 down to 4......had surgery in 16 and they made me go off nicotine all together......interesting note.....the hospital had no objection to me vaping in my room........vaped at zero for a year and finally gave it up completely (though I still have one set up by my computer and another at my office......just posting this makes me think of going downstairs and taking a couple of hits).......if you know anyone who still smokes tobacco, buy them an ecig and stop whining about them..........

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Sailor (08-19-2018), Stretch (08-19-2018)

18. #28 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mazon View Post
    I think so!
    No
    pain in abortion.

19. #29 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,679 Times in 16,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 585 Times in 561 Posts
    Blog Entries

I do not allow smoking on any of my vessels unless on deck. That being said some years back some crew asked about vaping. At first I said no until I understood it better. Now a few of the crew vape all the time. Smells nice.

20. #30 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

". There's no nic "transfer" in the air to someone else." S #22
    I deduce you're asserting there's no 2nd hand nicotine.

That might be nice, if it were true.

BUT !!

For it to be not true, it would have to be:

a) That the drug transfer ratio is 100%. That's extremely unlikely. The subject inhales vapor, and then exhales vapor. Your claim is that 100% of the nicotine penetrates & is fully retained by the initial vaper (or that somehow nicotine becomes neutralized in that narrow time window).
    "And, besides, nic doesn't kill" S #22
    b) Perhaps not fatal. But the law doesn't limit protections to only that which is fatal. Loud music at 4:AM isn't fatal either. But police still respond to noise complaints, to "turn it down".

MM #26

I'm w/ you on this one MM.
    BUT !!

Even if not, the contents of the vaper's exhale is visible. So it can't be nothing. Some people may not mind. Others might. But it's not my job as a citizen to find a place to stand that isn't downwind of fumes, lethal or not.