Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smoking is restricted. Should "vaping" or e-cigarette use have the same restrictions?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

Default Smoking is restricted. Should "vaping" or e-cigarette use have the same restrictions?

In many locations and jurisdictions tobacco smoking is restricted or prohibited.

But "e-cigarettes" were used as a loop-hole in those legal restrictions.

a) Should such legal loop-holes now be closed? Should locations where tobacco smoking is restricted also restrict vaping?

b) Should age restrictions (usually for those younger than 21) also apply to vaping?
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

I honestly have no idea what vaping does? Is it innocuous 'flavored' waters? Is it just another NICOTINE delivery system? If so, how many other chemicals are mixed in? Is it intended for long term use or was it designed to get people off cigs?
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Stretch (08-19-2018)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,189 Times in 895 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 88 Times in 87 Posts

All sensible questions Cl.
    But this is the United States. It's quite rare to find a product on the market that's designed and intended to sell once.
    So they sell the device. Then they also sell the goo to be spilled into it, to generate the fumes.

Some sources say vape doesn't have all the dangerous chemicals of more conventionally combusted tobacco. But I gather vape can have nicotine in it.
    I'd prefer not to be down-wind of it, at a bar, restaurant, or DMV.
    "It should be obvious to anyone why conservatives and libertarians should be against Trump. He has no grounding in belief. No core philosophy. No morals. No loyalty. No curiosity. No empathy and no understanding. He demands personal loyalty and not loyalty to the nation. His only core belief is in his own superiority to everyone else. His only want is exercise more and more personal power." smb / purveyor of fact 18/03/18

5. The Following User Groans At sear For This Awful Post:

cancel2 2022 (08-19-2018)

6. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

I've been vaping for 5 or 6 years now years now. There's no combustion, fire, no smoke, no carcinogens released in the air, no reason to lump it in with stinky tar and other toxins being released into the air. It's vapor. If you're out walking on a cold day you see people naturally exhaling vapor with every breath they take all day and night. When it's NOT cold...you just don't see anything.

Still, the polite and considerate thing to do (which most all experienced vapers know) is just be thoughtful and courteous to those around you and simply ask if those close by mind if you vape. Most don't mind, but if someone does just step away for a moment. Even when I'm outdoors I take care to exhale down and/or away from anyone near by......much the same as when I used to smoke.

All ejuice companies offer percentages of nicotine. One can start off at 32 and work their way down to 0. Or just happily remain at 3 or 6 forever. Some would rather get their nic with a patch or gum and others prefer vaping. Some people like their "buzz" with caffeine and guzzle sodas and coffee all day.

I think 18 is a good age for restriction. I didn't even start smoking until I was 20, but most begin in their early teens. So, it WOULD be a shame though not to be able to offer them another option to help them cut down or quit if they're under 18.

Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

8. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Centerleftfl View Post
    I honestly have no idea what vaping does? Is it innocuous 'flavored' waters? Is it just another NICOTINE delivery system? If so, how many other chemicals are mixed in? Is it intended for long term use or was it designed to get people off cigs?
    All excellent questions. This may help

Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something

9. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,625 Times in 11,618 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

I can see vaping being treated the same as cigarettes, cigars, pipes ect. If snuff, or chewing tobacco, or other non smoke related products are banned.

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

There are more than 4,000 ingredients in a cigarette other than tobacco. Common additives include yeast, wine, caffeine, beeswax and chocolate. Here are some other ingredients:

Ammonia: Household cleaner
    Angelica root extract: Known to cause cancer in animals
    Arsenic: Used in rat poisons
    Benzene: Used in making dyes, synthetic rubber
    Butane: Gas; used in lighter fluid
    Carbon monoxide: Poisonous gas
    Cadmium: Used in batteries
    Cyanide: Deadly poison
    DDT: A banned insecticide
    Ethyl Furoate: Causes liver damage in animals
    Lead: Poisonous in high doses
    Formaldehiyde: Used to preserve dead specimens
    Methoprene: Insecticide
    Megastigmatrienone: Chemical naturally found in grapefruit juice
    Maltitol: Sweetener for diabetics
    Napthalene: Ingredient in mothballs
    Methyl isocyanate: Its accidental release killed 2000 people in Bhopal, India in 1984
    Polonium: Cancer-causing radioactive element

What's in ecig vapor?

1) propylene glycol which is used in baby aspirin (among thousands of other products); it's also been pumped through hospital ac vents since the 50's because it sanitizes the air.
    2) vegetable glycerin
    3) food flavorings
    4) water

That's it.
    pain in abortion.

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,633 Times in 9,299 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Vaping is another delivery system for nicotine addicts!

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    I can see vaping being treated the same as cigarettes, cigars, pipes ect. If snuff, or chewing tobacco, or other non smoke related products are banned.
    It's been an ongoing fight with the gubment because big tobacco has taken a giant hit over the last 10 years in revenue with the advent of pvd's (personal vaping devices). Almost overnight a few years back, a pack of cigs went from $1.50 to $4 and $5. They want their money!
    pain in abortion.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch For This Post:

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mazon View Post
    Vaping is another delivery system for nicotine addicts!
    Yep and there's nothing wrong with that.

But, a lot of us now vape at zero nic.
    pain in abortion.

15. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,051 Times in 26,519 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,742 Times in 4,521 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
    I've been vaping for 5 or 6 years now years now. There's no combustion, fire, no smoke, no carcinogens released in the air, no reason to lump it in with stinky tar and other toxins being released into the air. It's vapor. If you're out walking on a cold day you see people naturally exhaling vapor with every breath they take all day and night. When it's NOT cold...you just don't see anything.

Still, the polite and considerate thing to do (which most all experienced vapers know) is just be thoughtful and courteous to those around you and simply ask if those close by mind if you vape. Most don't mind, but if someone does just step away for a moment. Even when I'm outdoors I take care to exhale down and/or away from anyone near by......much the same as when I used to smoke.

All ejuice companies offer percentages of nicotine. One can start off at 32 and work their way down to 0. Or just happily remain at 3 or 6 forever. Some would rather get their nic with a patch or gum and others prefer vaping. Some people like their "buzz" with caffeine and guzzle sodas and coffee all day.

I think 18 is a good age for restriction. I didn't even start smoking until I was 20, but most begin in their early teens. So, it WOULD be a shame though not to be able to offer them another option to help them cut down or quit if they're under 18.

Some people are just not bloody happy unless they can be health fascists, fuck 'em.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to cancel2 2022 For This Post:

Stretch (08-19-2018)

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Yep and there's nothing wrong with that.

But, a lot of us now vape at zero nic.
    Whenever I been to the Vap store,the strong nicotine sold the best!

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

It's been an ongoing fight with the gubment because big tobacco has taken a giant hit over the last 10 years in revenue with the advent of pvd's (personal vaping devices). Almost overnight a few years back, a pack of cigs went from $1.50 to $4 and $5. They want their money!
    The cigarette companies are marketing the off shore market!

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

That is because of taxes and the tobacco settlements. The government wants more of their money to fund their special favors slush funds.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

Stretch (08-19-2018)

21. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mazon View Post
    Whenever I been to the Vap store,the strong nicotine sold the best!
    OK
    pain in abortion.