Thread: How Can I Cure My White Guilt?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Default How Can I Cure My White Guilt?

Dear Sugars,

I’m riddled with shame. White shame. This isn’t helpful to me or to anyone, especially people of color. I feel like there is no “me” outside of my white/upper middle class/cisgender identity. I feel like my literal existence hurts people, like I’m always taking up space that should belong to someone else.

I consider myself an ally. I research proper etiquette, read writers of color, vote in a way that will not harm P.O.C. (and other vulnerable people). I engage in conversations about privilege with other white people. I take courses that will further educate me. I donated to Black Lives Matter. Yet I fear that nothing is enough. Part of my fear comes from the fact that privilege is invisible to itself. What if I’m doing or saying insensitive things without realizing it?

Another part of it is that I’m currently immersed in the whitest environment I’ve ever been in. My family has lived in the same apartment in East Harlem for four generations. Every school I attended, elementary through high school, was minority white, but I’m now attending an elite private college that is 75 percent white. I know who I am, but I realize how people perceive me and this perception feels unfair.

I don’t talk about my feelings because it’s hard to justify doing so while people of color are dying due to systemic racism and making this conversation about me would be again centering whiteness. Yet bottling it up makes me feel an existential anger that I have a hard time channeling since I don’t know my place. Instead of harnessing my privilege for greater good, I’m curled up in a ball of shame. How can I be more than my heritage?

Whitey

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

teve Almond: Shame and anger are powerful emotions, Whitey. And yet your central struggle is around identity. You write that you don’t know your place. In fact, your letter describes your place as a kind of prison cell of privilege. What you really feel is trapped within an identity that marks you, inescapably, as an oppressor. This feeling is especially acute right now, I suspect, because you’re suddenly immersed in a milieu that reflects your privilege back to you. We do live in a culture steeped in white supremacy and class bigotry, as well as patriarchal values. But the solution to this injustice isn’t to wallow in self-hatred. Instead, heed the words of the writer bell hooks. “Privilege is not in and of itself bad; what matters is what we do with privilege,” she writes. “We have to share our resources and take direction about how to use our privilege in ways that empower those who lack it.” You’re not going to empower others by disempowering yourself.

Cheryl Strayed: I think Steve’s onto something when he notes that your anxiety is acute now because the racial mix at your college is reflecting your privilege back to you, but I’ll go even further: My hunch is that you’re truly seeing it for the first time. You grew up in a neighborhood and attended schools where you were one of the relatively few whites. It’s possible your status as a situational racial minority gave you the illusion that you didn’t have much in the way of racial privilege. Now that you’re living in a community that, at 75 percent white, roughly mirrors that of the American population, you’re feeling the full force of what it means to be white in a white supremacist culture and it makes you feel uncomfortable because up until now, in some unconscious way, you’d exonerated yourself from it. You were the “good white person” because you grew up among people of color. Now you’re another white face in the crowd at your elite college, and ashamed of it.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/14/s...privilege.html

3. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You write that you don’t know your place. In fact, your letter describes your place as a kind of prison cell of privilege. What you really feel is trapped within an identity that marks you, inescapably, as an oppressor.

4. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,865 Times in 7,323 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 785 Times in 732 Posts
    Blog Entries

Death. Only through death may one atone for the sins of their fathers.
    WATERMARK, GREATEST OF THE TRINITY, ON CHIK-FIL-A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmund Freud View Post
    The fields of mediocre chicken sandwiches shall be sowed with salt, so that nothing may ever grow there again.
    www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

www.gunsbeerfreedom.blogspot.com

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to /MSG/ For This Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (08-16-2018), MAGA MAN (08-16-2018), Minister of Truth (08-16-2018), SouthernUnkleRitchie (08-17-2018)

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,547 Times in 14,030 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,451 Times in 1,370 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Dear Sugars,

I’m riddled with shame. White shame. This isn’t helpful to me or to anyone, especially people of color. I feel like there is no “me” outside of my white/upper middle class/cisgender identity. I feel like my literal existence hurts people, like I’m always taking up space that should belong to someone else.

I consider myself an ally. I research proper etiquette, read writers of color, vote in a way that will not harm P.O.C. (and other vulnerable people). I engage in conversations about privilege with other white people. I take courses that will further educate me. I donated to Black Lives Matter. Yet I fear that nothing is enough. Part of my fear comes from the fact that privilege is invisible to itself. What if I’m doing or saying insensitive things without realizing it?

Another part of it is that I’m currently immersed in the whitest environment I’ve ever been in. My family has lived in the same apartment in East Harlem for four generations. Every school I attended, elementary through high school, was minority white, but I’m now attending an elite private college that is 75 percent white. I know who I am, but I realize how people perceive me and this perception feels unfair.

I don’t talk about my feelings because it’s hard to justify doing so while people of color are dying due to systemic racism and making this conversation about me would be again centering whiteness. Yet bottling it up makes me feel an existential anger that I have a hard time channeling since I don’t know my place. Instead of harnessing my privilege for greater good, I’m curled up in a ball of shame. How can I be more than my heritage?

Whitey
    Dear whitey honkey christian , focus on your becoming a minority, you will have many challenges ahead of you going forward

this might help you in your new journey

“If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

Irish (08-16-2018), SouthernUnkleRitchie (08-17-2018)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

You write that you don’t know your place. In fact, your letter describes your place as a kind of prison cell of privilege. What you really feel is trapped within an identity that marks you, inescapably, as an oppressor.
    Why would you have white guilt? I don't.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

SouthernUnkleRitchie (08-17-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-16-2018)

10. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Today's whitey has benefited from the system their cracka forefather's instituted
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

ברוך השם

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

SouthernUnkleRitchie (08-17-2018)

12. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

The crackas on the christer bible thumping network

— Golda Meir

ברוך השם

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Guno צְבִי For This Post:

14. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Eat pistachio gelato. It cures all ails.....well unless you have a nut allergy in which case it might kill you.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Irish Exit For This Post:

16. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,494 Times in 9,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,427 Times in 1,256 Posts

Dear Sugars,

Whitey
    May I suggest?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to signalmankenneth For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-16-2018), TTQ64 (08-16-2018)

18. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,777 Times in 33,638 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzalcoatl View Post
    Lol, I was going to quote you, glad you showed up.

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Dear Sugars,

Whitey
    face the truth

Learn and accept the truth of the history of the USA

strive to make it a more perfect union.

accept the feelings and testament of your brothers and sisters of color

treat each person you meet as a complete human being with talents to offer the world and you.

the guilt will melt away

there is no guilt in accepting harm was done and trying to work with your fellow man to rectify the situation.

YOU WILL BE FOREVER GUILT FREE

try it

It feels great

20. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

USFREEDOM911 (08-16-2018)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    Today's whitey has benefited from the system their cracka forefather's instituted
    and bare no guilt for it unless they embrace the evil

22. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

24. The Following User Groans At evince For This Awful Post:

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

I never met one white person with
    White Guilt.
    Some Conservative made it up for Liberals

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mason Michaels For This Post:

christiefan915 (08-16-2018), evince (08-16-2018), Micawber (08-16-2018)