Thread: Evil Corporations

1. #46 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    Would you like to see the top 1% of all corporations disappear?
    no

why would you think anyone would

I would like to see them taxed and regulated in a way that profits the entire nation

2. #47 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 35,503 Times in 27,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 19,565 Times in 18,156 Posts
    Blog Entries

3. #48 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 24,569 Times in 17,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,575 Times in 4,254 Posts

For some reason, we accept that corporations reason to exist is " maximize profits'. That is asking for trouble. There is nothing about doing no harm. There is no responsibility to the country, the environment or employees. Just max those priofits. it is a blueprint for cheating and spoiling the envirionment. It is asking for a company to cheat the employees out of everything they can. American capitalism is flawed and by definition creates a tension between them and the country. It is an adversarial system where the government has to fight them to do the right thing.

4. #49 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,660 Times in 4,439 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 184 Times in 180 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nordberg View Post
    That is exactly what the government should be able to tell a corporation. They need that power to stop corporate crimes. Corporations run nuclear plants. They run many businesses that could do real potential damage. The government should have ultimate power.
    We already have extensive regulations for nuclear power plants and criminal laws for prosecuting corporate crimes. To want to shut down Amazon or similar corporations is just crazy. And, since many posters believe the rich and powerful are running the government, any actions would be benefiting them at the expense of the public good. They want to give more power to those they already think are not doing a good job. As it is, many government regulations already serve the purpose of reducing competition or establishing secure markets for certain interests.

5. #50 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    Legally means the government it tells it it can exist. Illegally is only a pen-stroke away at any given time. Why Hillary was gonna kill coal after all, so the parties are equal opportunity offenders.
    A pen-stroke away is arbitrary government power we should never have. A criminal government is no better than a criminal corporation.

6. #51 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    A pen-stroke away is arbitrary government power we should never have. A criminal government is no better than a criminal corporation.
    A government with no power to control is pointless. Might as well be two cave men throwing pebbles at each other.

7. #52 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Which we as a society have no problem with. It's only when "welfare" and programs we all pay into go to the unsubstantial people that the caterwaling arises from the corporate state.
    The corporate state is benefiting from all that government largesse--they are not the ones caterwailing.

8. #53 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    yes you do asshole

you don't like Democracy MOVE THE FUCK AWAY
    Still angry and hostile I see.

I never said anything about disliking democracy or anything close. Read s_l_o_w_l_y

9. #54 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Kacper View Post
    A government with no power to control is pointless. Might as well be two cave men throwing pebbles at each other.
    Power to control is not the same thing as arbitrarily wanting to shut down Amazon like some of the posters from this thread. And, who has that control and why are they making that decisions. Again, if one adopts (the somewhat simplistic) view that the rich and powerful and corporations are controlling the government, won't they use that power for their own benefit?

10. #55 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

We already have extensive regulations for nuclear power plants and criminal laws for prosecuting corporate crimes. To want to shut down Amazon or similar corporations is just crazy. And, since many posters believe the rich and powerful are running the government, any actions would be benefiting them at the expense of the public good. They want to give more power to those they already think are not doing a good job. As it is, many government regulations already serve the purpose of reducing competition or establishing secure markets for certain interests.
    No we don't. they are sham. They are not regulation for the people but for the company. Every regulation gets passed by politicians who get money from the industries. The also get corporate lobbyists pressuring them. Real regulation that would protect us is extremely rare and under great pressure by the corporations.

11. #56 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 2,409 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 244 Times in 225 Posts

Power to control is not the same thing as arbitrarily wanting to shut down Amazon like some of the posters from this thread. And, who has that control and why are they making that decisions. Again, if one adopts (the somewhat simplistic) view that the rich and powerful and corporations are controlling the government, won't they use that power for their own benefit?
    See you think they must be stopped from stopping them which is a completely arbitrary position. I think they should be stopped because they are bad for the environment and the worker, and business in general.

12. #57 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,121 Times in 2,441 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 265 Times in 242 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evince View Post
    no
    Congrats, you were able to respond correctly to the opening post!

why would you think anyone would[
    A magic wand that you can wave to make one of the top 1% of corporations disappear is obviously just a hypothetical and fun thing, but I suspected that many lefties might enjoy using it. I have noticed over the years that lefties often refer to big corporations as evil, but I was wondering if lefties would actually use it if they had a chance. Looks like I was mistaken.

I would like to see them taxed and regulated in a way that profits the entire nation
    If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you would be ok with keeping them in place AS THEY ARE NOW, but you would like to see legislation that would make them into workhorses that would generate wealth to redistribute to the non productive class. Is this correct?
    The Truth Does Not Need To Be Supported With Censorship.

13. #58 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Evmetro View Post
    Congrats, you were able to respond correctly to the opening post!

A magic wand that you can wave to make one of the top 1% of corporations disappear is obviously just a hypothetical and fun thing, but I suspected that many lefties might enjoy using it. I have noticed over the years that lefties often refer to big corporations as evil, but I was wondering if lefties would actually use it if they had a chance. Looks like I was mistaken.

If I understand you correctly, it sounds like you would be ok with keeping them in place AS THEY ARE NOW, but you would like to see legislation that would make them into workhorses that would generate wealth to redistribute to the non productive class. Is this correct?
    You have no right to speak for the left. You can barely defend the right. We want corporations well regulated. They are capable of doing great harm.

14. #59 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Love corps, Trump is your man. what he did to net neutrality is designed to make the righties happy. I bet all you righties are still celebrating that corporate give away. Trump FCC is an arm of telecoms. Isn't that special.

15. #60 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

No such thing as a pen stroke. Regulation is passed in congress after a debate. Also after lobbying pressure has been exerted.