1. #61 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That would be ridiculous.
    Hardest thing I ever had to do was administer pain killing opioids to my son as he was dying of cancer. I cannot imagine not having had the ability to ease his passing.
    I cannot even imagine your pain. My deepest condolences.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ThatOwlWoman For This Post:

countryboy (08-16-2018), Phantasmal (08-16-2018)

3. #62 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    That would be ridiculous.

Hardest thing I ever had to do was administer pain killing opioids to my son as he was dying of cancer. I cannot imagine not having had the ability to ease his passing.
    I am so sorry, I can not imagine your pain.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

countryboy (08-16-2018)

5. #63 | Top
    Living in rural America, "clinging to guns and religion"
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,512 Times in 16,974 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 522 Times in 502 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
    Drug abuse in general is. I've always thought that we go about addressing this the wrong way, by trying to remove the means to get stoned/high/dead. Why aren't we addressing the causes instead? I don't believe that the cause of heroin use is exposure to prescription meds. Millions use them successfully and don't transition to illegal drugs. What is it that causes a person to become addicted and not be able to throw it off? Is it all physical? Psychological? A combination? How can some people enjoy alcohol and not become alcoholics, but others can't? If we can find those answers, maybe we can treat this scourge more successfully.
    I believe the answer is self control.
    Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone who doesn't have it.

6. #64 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,756 Times in 16,563 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,622 Times in 1,532 Posts

Drug abuse in general is. I've always thought that we go about addressing this the wrong way, by trying to remove the means to get stoned/high/dead. Why aren't we addressing the causes instead? I don't believe that the cause of heroin use is exposure to prescription meds. Millions use them successfully and don't transition to illegal drugs. What is it that causes a person to become addicted and not be able to throw it off? Is it all physical? Psychological? A combination? How can some people enjoy alcohol and not become alcoholics, but others can't? If we can find those answers, maybe we can treat this scourge more successfully.
    excellent post.
    what are the causes of addiction? Probably as diverse as the individual,but we can look at why drug abuse happens too.
    The precursor for pain pill addiction IS drug abuse

7. #65 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    excellent post.
    what are the causes of addiction? Probably as diverse as the individual,but we can look at why drug abuse happens too.
    The precursor for pain pill addiction IS drug abuse
    Thanks.

What do you mean by this? "The precursor for pain pill addiction IS drug abuse"? The precursor for pain pill addiction is being prescribed an addictive yet effective substance because the patient has pain. But why do some easily get hooked, and others are able to take the prescribed dosage and walk away? I suspect the answers lie in individual neurochemistry. I also think that there are psychological components to all addictions. Something is missing in the patient's life that is being filled by the oblivion the drug of choice brings. What is it? A sense of purpose? Lack of life goals?

My college general psych professor is also a PhD licensed therapist who specializes in treating addictions. She said that she has the best success with helping the patient switch a harmful addiction to a healthy (or at least non-harmful) one. Exercise is a big one. Also hobbies like collecting, creating, and sports, and so on that involve meeting with other ppl interested in the same hobby (for the social aspect). She believes that there truly is an "addictive personality" and uses that to help ppl overcome their substance abuse.

8. #66 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Thanks.

What do you mean by this? "The precursor for pain pill addiction IS drug abuse"? The precursor for pain pill addiction is being prescribed an addictive yet effective substance because the patient has pain. But why do some easily get hooked, and others are able to take the prescribed dosage and walk away? I suspect the answers lie in individual neurochemistry. I also think that there are psychological components to all addictions. Something is missing in the patient's life that is being filled by the oblivion the drug of choice brings. What is it? A sense of purpose? Lack of life goals?

My college general psych professor is also a PhD licensed therapist who specializes in treating addictions. She said that she has the best success with helping the patient switch a harmful addiction to a healthy (or at least non-harmful) one. Exercise is a big one. Also hobbies like collecting, creating, and sports, and so on that involve meeting with other ppl interested in the same hobby (for the social aspect). She believes that there truly is an "addictive personality" and uses that to help ppl overcome their substance abuse.
    Those are excellent therapies. All I know is the typical AA or NA stuff - but they say the same thing that people use because they have a "hole" in their emotions they fill up with booze/drugs.
    So you cant fully recover until you do a personal "inventory" - stay clean,and become more engaged with life.

I was looking the the war on opioids. last year there were 70k deaths, but 40k involved fentanyl.
    You don't get fentanyl from pain pills -it comes from cheap heroin

"drug abuse as the precursor" means exposure to pain pills becomes much moer addictive in potential by prior drug abuse

9. #67 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Those are excellent therapies. All I know is the typical AA or NA stuff - but they say the same thing that people use because they have a "hole" in their emotions they fill up with booze/drugs.
    So you cant fully recover until you do a personal "inventory" - stay clean,and become more engaged with life.

I was looking the the war on opioids. last year there were 70k deaths, but 40k involved fentanyl.
    You don't get fentanyl from pain pills -it comes from cheap heroin

"drug abuse as the precursor" means exposure to pain pills becomes much moer addictive in potential by prior drug abuse
    Here's a decent and up-to-date article on fentanyl.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...ou-should-know

In the nursing setting, we always wore gloves to apply and remove fentanyl patches, which were then disposed of and witnessed the same way we disposed of and witnessed (and signed off on) any other controlled substance. Unfortunately in the home setting this doesn't happen; addicts often get their start by taking the used patches out of the trash and applying them. It's pretty easy to manufacture fentanyl as well.

Side tale: A few years ago we went on a heroin awareness walk to honor the memory of our friends' son who died from an OD. It terminated at the fire house where his father was a captain. While waiting for my husband to go get the car (because it was hot and I am lazy), I got to talking to some of the firemen about the heroin issue. They were saying how discouraging it was to get a call for an OD, rush to the scene and administer Narcan and save the person, only to get called to the same scene hours later -- for the exact same person. This was a typical middle-class predominantly white suburban area. I've got no doubt that this exact same scenario doesn't play out every single day in every single state and town around America.

10. #68 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Here's a decent and up-to-date article on fentanyl.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...ou-should-know

In the nursing setting, we always wore gloves to apply and remove fentanyl patches, which were then disposed of and witnessed the same way we disposed of and witnessed (and signed off on) any other controlled substance. Unfortunately in the home setting this doesn't happen; addicts often get their start by taking the used patches out of the trash and applying them. It's pretty easy to manufacture fentanyl as well.

Side tale: A few years ago we went on a heroin awareness walk to honor the memory of our friends' son who died from an OD. It terminated at the fire house where his father was a captain. While waiting for my husband to go get the car (because it was hot and I am lazy), I got to talking to some of the firemen about the heroin issue. They were saying how discouraging it was to get a call for an OD, rush to the scene and administer Narcan and save the person, only to get called to the same scene hours later -- for the exact same person. This was a typical middle-class predominantly white suburban area. I've got no doubt that this exact same scenario doesn't play out every single day in every single state and town around America.
    I forgot about the patches..they are rare on the illegal market - but ya.

11. #69 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,581 Times in 9,703 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,312 Times in 1,210 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    The white trash kind that is, trumps uneducated subspecies

Opioid drug overdose rates are climbing: 300,000 Americans have died over the past 15 years and experts predict another 300,000 in the next five. Every hour seven people are dying. Drugs are the leading cause of death for the under fifties, above guns and car accidents.

bye bye trumpturds along with his half dead white fossilizes geezers

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/r...cans-kgj2nwkdh
    I don't see a problem here. Darwinism in action.

There is also a second positive side, more organ donors.

12. #70 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Getin the ring View Post
    I hope you are joking.

It's not funny though.
    I am with you politically,
    but if BAC or anyone is seriously ill, I wish them the best and thoughts and prayers.

On topic opiates are out of control, we know the answer and I predict it will get reeled in
    I am not joking. I think BAC is scum. The sooner he dies the better

13. The Following User Says Thank You to canceled.2021.2 For This Post:

MAGA MAN (08-16-2018)

14. #71 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,770 Times in 7,271 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,060 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DISBAND ICE View Post
    A person has no right to kill themselves

It's wasteful and harmful to society
    That might be true for a person who specifically asked to be born in the first place.
    If you know such a person, than maybe he/she has no right to kill him/herself.
    But even then, I can't really see why not.

15. #72 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    I am not joking. I think BAC is scum. The sooner he dies the better
    I guess being black wasn't victim enough for him, so now he's claiming to have cancer.

16. #73 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RB 60 View Post
    I believe the answer is self control.
    Well we sure as he'll can't hold big pharma responsible in any way. In American society, accountability always rests with the party with less power and wealth.

17. #74 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 3,515 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 291 Times in 282 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Soul View Post
    I guess being black wasn't victim enough for him, so now he's claiming to have cancer.
    Your president is always blathering on about his victimhood.

18. #75 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fentoine Lum View Post
    Your president is always blathering on about his victimhood.
    Because he's black?