Thanks
    Thanked 19,095 Times in 13,072 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,908 Times in 5,169 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hello Oneuli,

Quote Originally Posted by Oneuli View Post
    I hadn't seen that. Thanks!

It reminds me of another video I saw where they asked people what they thought about the budget. For example, they'd ask if they thought we spent too little or too much of our budget on something like foreign humanitarian aid or support for the arts. Then they'd ask people what they thought would be an appropriate portion of the discretionary budget to spend on it. The amusing thing was that people had a tendency to provide radically inconsistent answers to the two linked questions. For example, they'd insist we spend too much on support for the arts in this country, and then say we should only be spending 5% of our discretionary budget on it, when in fact 5% would be VASTLY more than we actually spend. Or they'd say we spend too little on our military and that we should be spending a quarter of our discretionary budget on it, even when that's far less than we actually spend.
    The thing that always gets me is how Republicans think the reason the government is always short is because it spends too much. But then when confronted with what they feel should be cut back, they can't precisely name a program or how much of it should be cut, and how they expect that to make the budget balance.

And after complaining about the debt during the entire skillfully guided recovery from the Great Recession, (which happened to be during Obama's years so they naturally blamed the debt on him,) they go out and slash revenue with a big give-away tax cut for the rich which nearly doubles the deficit! And this after Trump campaigned by saying he would pay the debt completely off within 8 years. What a pile of stink! Now, not only will the debt NOT be paid off in 8 years, it will be vastly increased.

And here's the kicker. I have repeatedly asked Republicans how they expect to pay the debt down during a recession if we can't pay it down during an expanding economy. (NOW) Not one has ever even tried to answer that one.

What? Do they expect the economy to get any better?
    Personal Ignore Policy PIP: I like civil discourse. I will give you all the respect in the world if you respect me. Mouth off to me, or express overt racism, you will be PERMANENTLY Ignore Listed. Zero tolerance. No exceptions. I'll never read a word you write, even if quoted by another, nor respond to you, nor participate in your threads. ... Ignore the shallow. Cherish the thoughtful. Long Live Civil Discourse, Mutual Respect, and Good Debate! ps: Feel free to adopt my PIP. It works well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PoliTalker For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-15-2018)

3. #197 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,874 Times in 1,170 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 202 Times in 195 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    There's no such thing unless you have dual citizenship
    If you have a semantic preference for "American citizen with Korean ancestry," that's fine. "Korean American" is a handy shorthand for that, though.

unless you were trying to establish a certain advantage
    If I were, wouldn't I say that I'm a straight white man -- then my support for liberal policies couldn't be as easily dismissed by right-wingers as a matter of personal self interest, since I'd be advocating policies that are actually against my personal interests. In fact, wouldn't I insist I was a wealthy straight white veteran living in rural red-state America. That would provide real rhetorical advantage to a liberal in an argument, whereas identifying as someone who ticks a lot of the usual liberal boxes just makes it easier for others to put you in a box rather than addressing your actual arguments.
    Last edited by Oneuli; 08-15-2018 at 02:23 PM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

Gotcha68 (08-15-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-15-2018)

5. #198 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 12,185 Times in 7,629 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,051 Times in 998 Posts

I'm project-based and between projects right now.
    Personal question...answer or not as you choose:

Do you spend any time at the Frying Pan?

6. #199 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by PoliTalker View Post
    Hello Oneuli,

The thing that always gets me is how Republicans think the reason the government is always short is because it spends too much. But then when confronted with what they feel should be cut back, they can't precisely name a program or how much of it should be cut, and how they expect that to make the budget balance.

And after complaining about the debt during the entire skillfully guided recovery from the Great Recession, (which happened to be during Obama's years so they naturally blamed the debt on him,) they go out and slash revenue with a big give-away tax cut for the rich which nearly doubles the deficit! And this after Trump campaigned by saying he would pay the debt completely off within 8 years. What a pile of stink! Now, not only will the debt NOT be paid off in 8 years, it will be vastly increased.

And here's the kicker. I have repeatedly asked Republicans how they expect to pay the debt down during a recession if we can't pay it down during an expanding economy. (NOW) Not one has ever even tried to answer that one.

What? Do they expect the economy to get any better?
    I think a useful exercise is to make an honest effort to balance the budget oneself, using real numbers. You can do a decent "back of the napkin" calculation, using the real budget, plus income distribution tables, tax tables, etc. When you dig into that and try to do it with real numbers, it becomes quickly obvious how naive (or disingenuous) Republican talk on the topic of fiscal responsibility tends to be. If you're unwilling to raise taxes, and unwilling to default on the debt (or on entitlements people have already earned, like Medicare and Social Security), and unwilling to cut our largest area of discretionary spending (the military), it's pretty much impossible to balance the budget, without completely unworkable and counter-productive methods like ending all infrastructure spending. Fiscally serious people pretty much have to focus on raising taxes and/or cutting military spending, but those are the two areas Republicans won't even talk about. And that's why getting them to get specific about which changes they'd make is impossible, and why their sham fiscal conservatism is disposed of the moment a Republican gets into the White House.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oneuli For This Post:

Jack (08-15-2018), PoliTalker (08-15-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-15-2018)

8. #200 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Apisa View Post
    Personal question...answer or not as you choose:

Do you spend any time at the Frying Pan?
    The boat bar in Chelsea? I've heard of it, but I've never been there. It would be a bit out of the way for me.

9. #201 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,785 Times in 32,151 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm not from a foreign land.... unless you count the great state of New York.
    is that one of those shithole countries?.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

Truth Detector (08-15-2018)

11. #202 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 2 Times in 2 Posts

Yes, there is.
    No, there isn't, sock.

It's a pathetic attempt to establish yourself a protected class of DEMOCRAT beyond reproach, and we both know it.

12. #203 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

You seemed skeptical about the anecdote.
    For good reason, sock.

13. #204 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

He's a civilian working for the military. His attitude is polite and he's been working hard to learn Japanese. That's actually what made this stick particularly in my mind, because I felt bad that someone who was a Japanophile, excited to live in the country, and working to learn the language and culture, would be met with that attitude. I think it was pretty disillusioning for him.
    Cool story, "sis."

A Story for Every Occasion™.

14. #205 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Fiscally serious people pretty much have to focus on raising taxes and/or cutting military spending.
    So you say, sock.

15. #206 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Controlled Opposition View Post
    My question is; are you on vacation? For a financial analyst in NYC, your volume of posts during the work week is impressive.
    Ignored. Did you notice?

How long before another liberal jumps in with a purportedly-plausible excuse, or the sock claims that due to "her language skills", she handles Asian clients and thus is not @ work during American working hours?

16. #207 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,524 Times in 11,565 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 513 Times in 483 Posts
    Blog Entries

Okay, Grump, glad my asinine posts have a modicum of value for someone.

QUESTION: At the end of the college football season, are you shouting "Go ARMY, beat NAVY" or "Go NAVY, beat ARMY?"

Or are you just celebrating another AF win of the Commander in Chief's Trophy?
    One thing I have to say about you Frank is you do have a sense of humor. We may disagree poltically but I do enjoy most of our interchanges.

I know your a golfer. Have you ever heard of World Golf Tour, wtg.com? It is the most realistic online golf games I have found.

17. #208 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

The boat bar in Chelsea? I've heard of it, but I've never been there. It would be a bit out of the way for me.
    Great place.

I've had meets there with people from several other fora where I have participated...Open Salon; Abuzz (NY Times site); Able2Know...and a couple others. Met with people from all over the US...and half a dozen foreign countries...sometimes in groups of a dozen or more.

Like I said...great place and very, very popular these days...so was just wondering.
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Oneuli (08-16-2018)

19. #209 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    One thing I have to say about you Frank is you do have a sense of humor. We may disagree poltically but I do enjoy most of our interchanges.

I know your a golfer. Have you ever heard of World Golf Tour, wtg.com? It is the most realistic online golf games I have found.
    Never heard of it, Grump. I'll check it out, though.

I enjoy the give and take with you also.

I truly do not take much of this ball breaking very seriously. Just a laugh or two...interesting way to pass some time...and often, some information that comes from no other source that really is interesting.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Apisa For This Post:

Jack (08-15-2018)

21. #210 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

I've had meets there with people from several other fora where I have participated...Open Salon; Abuzz (NY Times site); Able2Know...and a couple others. Met with people from all over the US...and half a dozen foreign countries...sometimes in groups of a dozen or more.
    So you say. Was Frank Sinatra in attendance?