Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone speculate why the stock market continues to climb in the face of tariffs?

1. #1 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,622 Times in 8,086 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 639 Times in 618 Posts

Default Anyone speculate why the stock market continues to climb in the face of tariffs?

It is an interesting phenomenon isn't it? Everyone has screamed calamity while President Trump is trying to reset the trade imbalance that exists in the world. Germany wants to be free to sell its cars here but puts barriers to the US selling our cars there. That is not free trade.

As the stock market discounts the future, one would think that if the market thought that these tariffs would have negative consequences for the US economy we would be seeing a massive decline in the stock market

However, it has been slowly inching up. Can anyone explain why?

I think I know, but want to hear others input first.

Liberals, here is your chance to wow us with your financial acumen. You aren't being thread banned so please take advantage of this rare opportunity

2. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,029 Times in 6,223 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

The tariffs are newly implemented, and cover specific fields. When will people learn about time when judging things? I mean it's common sense. Some were praising Trump before he was in there long enough to amount to jack. You won't know the effects of the tariffs until enough time has passed, unless they shift things drastically. It takes something huge for drastic shift though. If California ever did secede that would be a drastic shift, that would be felt across the nation in no time flat. A week, or two and the economy would be starting to tread water.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

Bourbon (08-13-2018)

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,145 Times in 10,539 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,987 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

Gotta stash your cash somewhere.

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,185 Times in 33,874 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,086 Times in 4,702 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Taxes have offset the tariffs. If more tariffs are implemented, then we may see the scale start to tip the other way.

6. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Teflon Don View Post
    It is an interesting phenomenon isn't it? Everyone has screamed calamity while President Trump is trying to reset the trade imbalance that exists in the world. Germany wants to be free to sell its cars here but puts barriers to the US selling our cars there. That is not free trade.

As the stock market discounts the future, one would think that if the market thought that these tariffs would have negative consequences for the US economy we would be seeing a massive decline in the stock market

Liberals, here is your chance to wow us with your financial acumen. You aren't being thread banned so please take advantage of this rare opportunity
    First, it isn't really going anywhere, has actually gone done since the beginning of the year, pretty much stable now

And there could be a lot of reasons; isn't actually a trade war yet, Market is used to Trump saying one thing while doing another, actual effects of tariffs haven't hit home yet, Apple, money in circulation from the tax cuts have minimized any effect, Fed hasn't reacted, etc

I'd wager the actual reason is a combination of all of the above and more

7. The Following User Says Thank You to archives For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-13-2018)

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,010 Times in 8,569 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 498 Times in 487 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
    Gotta have it first, boy. Perhaps that's why all those whining about their wages not going up can't do it. They provide such below average skills, the only way they can increase what they make is to have the government do it through mandate with things like minimum wage.

I had a typical experience with one of those below average skill workers last Saturday. I ordered a jelly biscuit and a cup of coffee at the local Hardees (Carls, Jr. for you left coasters). The idiot working at the drive thru window seemed shocked when I asked her dumb black ass why there wasn't any jelly in the bag for my JELLY biscuit. Just like the typical low intellect, low skilled person working at those places, she copped an attitude about it acting as if it was my fault for asking for JELLY she didn't put into the bag for a JELLY biscuit.

Not too many weeks ago, I had gone to the local McDonalds an ordered only a cup of coffee. I was asked if I wanted cream and sugar with it to which I answered "no thank you". When I pulled to the window, the worker tried to hand me two cups of coffee in a carrier to which I said I had only ordered one. She handed me one of them from the carrier. When I started to drink it, it didn't taste like black coffee. I removed the lid and discovered that cream and sugar had been put in it. I suspect that it may have been the order of the person behind me. This particular location has the double drive thru that merges into one paying/receiving lane.

When the dumbasses at these locations start getting even the simplest orders correct, I'll support them making more. Since they can't seem to put JELLY in a bag for a JELLY biscuit and add creamer/sugar when the question of whether I wanted it was not to put it, the $7.25 required to pay them by federal mandate is too much.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 22,245 Times in 13,970 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 3,056 Times in 2,851 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CFM View Post
    Gotta have it first, boy. Perhaps that's why all those whining about their wages not going up can't do it. They provide such below average skills, the only way they can increase what they make is to have the government do it through mandate with things like minimum wage.

I had a typical experience with one of those below average skill workers last Saturday. I ordered a jelly biscuit and a cup of coffee at the local Hardees (Carls, Jr. for you left coasters). The idiot working at the drive thru window seemed shocked when I asked her dumb black ass why there wasn't any jelly in the bag for my JELLY biscuit. Just like the typical low intellect, low skilled person working at those places, she copped an attitude about it acting as if it was my fault for asking for JELLY she didn't put into the bag for a JELLY biscuit.

Not too many weeks ago, I had gone to the local McDonalds an ordered only a cup of coffee. I was asked if I wanted cream and sugar with it to which I answered "no thank you". When I pulled to the window, the worker tried to hand me two cups of coffee in a carrier to which I said I had only ordered one. She handed me one of them from the carrier. When I started to drink it, it didn't taste like black coffee. I removed the lid and discovered that cream and sugar had been put in it. I suspect that it may have been the order of the person behind me. This particular location has the double drive thru that merges into one paying/receiving lane.

When the dumbasses at these locations start getting even the simplest orders correct, I'll support them making more. Since they can't seem to put JELLY in a bag for a JELLY biscuit and add creamer/sugar when the question of whether I wanted it was not to put it, the $7.25 required to pay them by federal mandate is too much.
    Amazing how one can form an opinion, and seemingly a very obstinate opinion, regarding others from his experiences in drive thru windows at fast food restaurants

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to archives For This Post:

Jade Dragon (08-13-2018), Phantasmal (08-13-2018)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

I'm PREsuming at least in part, many companies are buying back stock which makes them CASH rich (and NOT NECESSARILY INVESTING in new equipment, expansion, hiring more employees, etc.--just holding their profits). And shareholders love cash-rich company stocks. And when they get cash-rich, don't they up dividend distributions? And don't those who get the distributions buy MORE stock, hopefully, in the same company?

But then again whatta I know, I was a PSYCH major.

PS Do you know how many American EMPLOYEES own company stock? About 8%! That's about half of the # of employees who held company stock in 1999. See a pattern here?
    Last edited by Centerleftfl; 08-13-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

12. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,029 Times in 6,223 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 710 Times in 658 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by archives View Post
    Amazing how one can form an opinion, and seemingly a very obstinate opinion, regarding others from his experiences in drive thru windows at fast food restaurants
    Well CFM does seem to bat with a tee still, so I'd cut him some slack.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jade Dragon For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-13-2018)

14. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

Because someone is making Money Buying and Selling ... you New to this?
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bourbon For This Post:

Leonthecat (08-13-2018)

16. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 33,903 Times in 21,665 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,696 Times in 5,198 Posts
    Blog Entries

It’s still below januaryr’s highs? Where do you get that it’s climbing?

17. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Amazing how one can think the opinion is based solely on the two examples provided in the post.

18. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Well CFM does seem to bat with a tee still, so I'd cut him some slack.
    archives does seem to think that the opinion was arrived at using only two examples. He's just the typical dumbass from the left.

19. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

Quote Originally Posted by Jarod View Post
    It’s still below januaryr’s highs? Where do you get that it’s climbing?
    It's approximately 5400 higher than it was the day your boy left office.

20. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,511 Times in 4,834 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,798 Times in 1,605 Posts
    Blog Entries

And those people don't need a 'livable' wage. They can just work 3 of those jobs to get by.
    WK1 3/28-/4 _Cases 301k--Dead 18.1k Lethality 2.72%
    WK2 4/5-/13 _Cases 555k--Dead 22.1K Lethality 3.9%
    WK3 4/20-/21 Cases 774k -Dead 37.2K Lethality 4.8%
    WK4 4/22-/29 Cases 1M --Dead 58.8K Lethality 5.9%
    WK5 5/1-/8__ Cases 1.3M -Dead 75.7K Lethality 6.1%
    WK6 5/9-16__Cases 1.4M --Dead 85.8K Lethality 6.1%
    WK7 5/17-24_Cases 1.7M - Dead 97.6K Lethality 5.9%
    WK8 5/28 Cases 1.7M - DEAD 101.2K - Same

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Centerleftfl For This Post:

Phantasmal (08-13-2018)