Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Most Post-Christian Cities in the U.S.

1. #16 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,811 Times in 14,165 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,453 Times in 1,372 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boris The Animal View Post
    No, the God of Creation who AROSE from the dead!
    An all powerful god was killed?
    “If we have to have a choice between being dead and pitied, and being alive with a bad image, we’d rather be alive and have the bad image.”

— Golda Meir

Zionism is the movement for the self-determination and statehood for the Jewish people in their ancestral homeland, the land of Israel.

“If Hamas put down their weapons, there would be no more violence. If the Jews put down their weapons, there would be no Israel."

ברוך השם

2. #17 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,549 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 107 Times in 102 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guno View Post
    An all powerful god was killed?
    Only by His choice. He allowed it to happen. He freely gave his life though He could have called legions of angels to take him off that cross....but He didn’t. That’s how much He loves me. And not just me ... you as well. Listen to the last line of this song.

3. #18 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,286 Times in 10,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,908 Times in 4,224 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leaningright View Post
    Only by His choice. He allowed it to happen. He freely gave his life though He could have called legions of angels to take him off that cross....but He didn’t. That’s how much He loves me. And not just me ... you as well. Listen to the last line of this song.

Lordy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-22-2018)

5. #19 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,043 Times in 7,480 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,102 Times in 1,047 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Norah View Post
    I’ll take Jesus over whatever the popular definition of being educated may be. I’d also take small towns over big cities any day of the week.
    Great--because you can have them. It all works out.

6. #20 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,286 Times in 10,485 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,908 Times in 4,224 Posts
    Blog Entries

I put my trust, my heart, and my faith in Him, but that doesn’t mean that I am against science. What do you consider to be educated? I recently graduated with a bachelor of science degree in animal science with a concentration in livestock management. I’m technically more educated in that particular field than most other students that majored in something else at my school but that doesn’t make me overall more educated than each of them. If I moved to a bigger city would that change my education level?
    If you believe that he:

Was of virgin birth
    Walked on water
    Revived the dead
    Healed lepers
    Arose from the dead

then you don't have a good grounding in science. Or, perhaps you just like children's stories.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to domer76 For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-03-2018)

8. #21 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,626 Times in 27,290 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,977 Times in 2,694 Posts

I put my trust, my heart, and my faith in Him, but that doesn’t mean that I am against science. What do you consider to be educated? I recently graduated with a bachelor of science degree in animal science with a concentration in livestock management. I’m technically more educated in that particular field than most other students that majored in something else at my school but that doesn’t make me overall more educated than each of them. If I moved to a bigger city would that change my education level?
    I have know plenty of educated people - scientists even - who are devoutly religious.

I think to some extent there is a perception among some secularists that the devout Christian thinks the bible is literal history. Jonah actually lived in the belly of a whale, the Earth is 6000 years old, et al.

I am pretty sure that kind of literalism is pretty much limited to strains of evangelical Protestantism. I certainly personally never experience that kind of Biblical literalism and rejection of evolution in Eastern Orthodoxy, Catholocism, or mainline Protestantism. So in some respects, I think it is unfair to paint all Christians as the type of frequent the Creation Science Museum, or the Noah's Ark Experience theme park.

At it's best, religion to me is a philosophical tradition that guides our choices. I mean, this goes back to Zoroaster, Buddha, Confucius, Jesus, Muhammad, et al. So, at it's bare essence, they are collectively universal philosophical traditions rooted in the Axial Age - traditions who hold to the premise that we all have to make a choice to stay on the path of righteousness or not, and we all are responsible for our moral choices and the consequences that come with them. And that ultimately determines the purity of our souls.
    One could argue all day about whether Johan actually lived in the belly of a whale, but I cannot argue with or make fun of the philosophical traditions the buttress the world's major religions at their best.

9. #22 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 6 Times in 5 Posts

you mean secular like say Iceland?

10. #23 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

then they really aren't educated

11. #24 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans

doesnt this story sound fishy to you? an all powerful god letting himself be whipped and nailed to a cross? a cross was the common execution method if jesus would have lived in the old west would we all wear little nooses around our necks? if he had been executed by firing squad would we all have to wear bullets instead of crosses, doesnt any of this strike oyu as abad morbid and perverse? i was raised protestant, but toaughtto question everything, i read the bible, and now i definitely reject chritian teaching my god that is the most sadistic book i have ever read.. your god is a psycho a narsistic meglo maniac.. like an abusive alcoholic step father

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilhelm Zenz For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (09-22-2018)