Tom Kimball is a dear longtime friend. At services today at Kirtland Temple (Kirtland, Ohio) of Community of Christ, he delivered the Prayer for Peace.

Like a King of Thessaly on an open plain. I sense that soon will be a good day for the crows. Many heroes will lose their lives or their souls in the name of flag, selfishness, and money. Blood will likely flow in these very streets.

Today, I pray for peace.

Peace is this elusive and ephemeral thing. For myself, school finals are over, Kelly found employment, the bookstore is buzzing, cicadas have returned to the Ohio, fireflies fill the yards, and my grandson, my children, and my friends will soon come for a visit.

Today is a good day.

Today, at the feet of King Agamemnon, I will drop my shield. I will not fight his silly war. I will walk Elysian fields where sunlight bronze my arms and my face, and leaves on trees flutter in a breeze filled with a fragrance of grass and forest.

Today, I will have peace.

Like angels of light that dance across temple walls, I will let the vision of peace sweep through the halls of my soul. I will sing, I will laugh, I will smile, and this day I will have joy. And If you so choose, there is plenty to share.

May you find your own peace today.