Thread: National Mood Brightens

1. #76 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chloé View Post
    Exact same coverage - it is not like CNN that has like an "international" edition...there is just one set of coverage. Back in 03 to 04 it was quite rowdy but the balance aspect was there. It started to disappear through the Obama years, some.

I agree that these days it is not intellectual - it is just pure nationalism 101.

03 to 2018 is a huge difference for the network. It is like a different company altogether.
    Their beating the drum for the Iraq War was what made me tune out. It is truly when it became unfair and unbalanced.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phantasmal For This Post:

Rune (08-05-2018)

3. #77 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I didn't see much of the drumbeat part (exams etc) but since I was like a 4 year old I wanted Bush 41 to go into Bagdhad as Saddam was attacking British interests and troops later (Kuwait / no fly zone) so I would have likely been even more in favor of their rah rah approach than even they were!

4. #78 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 55,089 Times in 33,816 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,080 Times in 4,696 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chloé View Post
    I didn't see much of the drumbeat part (exams etc) but since I was like a 4 year old I wanted Bush 41 to go into Bagdhad as Saddam was attacking British interests and troops later (Kuwait / no fly zone) so I would have likely been even more in favor of their rah rah approach than even they were!
    Bush 41 was the smarter of the two Bushes, he knew better than to go into Baghdad. I bet the younger now wishes he had listened to dad.

5. #79 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Groaned 1 Time in 1 Post

I figure that a lot of it is also "If Bush 41 went in, in the first place..."

I was a gung ho military nut when I was like 4 or 5 for whatever reason - never really grew out of it. (I feel like I missed my calling some (in life) when the UK hit Argentine a few years before I was born).

In regards to FNC though, it is the little things that irritated the shit out me in the changes they made.

They became way too monolithic in the dress sense of their anchors - back in the day female anchors would wear and alter their wardrobe some. In the last year or two that I watched the women wore nothing but the same dresses all day every day. They got tighter and made the anchors look like they had fatter thighs and arms. The studios got way too laborious. They had good ad music playing overseas when they could use no advertising but in the end they started rick rolling their fox extra segments instead - like Diane Macedo's food tasting. Sadly she loved every single restaurant she ever went to. News Anchor? Maybe. Food critic...never.

They also started to get rid of my favorite anchors (like Lauhrie Dhue) and cancelled great shows, like the Fox magazine. They are going back to that now with their new series on life in the 1700s etc but they tried to fix something that wasn't broken.

Greta's show was law and order and having obsessed over a couple of stories for what felt like 6 years (Scott Peterson and Laci, and then Natalie Holloway and Anna Nicole Smith) she forgot her legal career and turned into a political analyst?

I'll be ranting here forever at this rate so yeah thought that I would just leave a brief insight into my beef with the network.

6. #80 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 18,676 Times in 14,049 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,136 Times in 1,080 Posts

7. The Following User Groans At Minister of Truth For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (08-30-2018)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Minister of Truth For This Post:

anatta (08-30-2018), Stretch (08-30-2018)

9. #81 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,758 Times in 11,557 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 889 Times in 847 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Threedee View Post
    2nd Quarter growth was just adjusted up to 4.2%
    Abortion rights dogma can obscure human reason & harden the human heart so much that the same person who feels
    empathy for animal suffering can lack compassion for unborn children who experience lethal violence and excruciating
    pain in abortion.

Unborn animals are protected in their nesting places, humans are not. To abort something is to end something
    which has begun. To abort life is to end it.

10. The Following User Groans At Stretch For This Awful Post:

FUCK THE POLICE (08-30-2018)

11. #82 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anatta View Post
    A just-released IBD/TIPP Poll shows big gains in key sentiment indicators. Given the pervasive negativity in the media these days, you might doubt these positive polling numbers. If so, have you looked at the economy lately?

When it comes to President Trump and the national mood, something seems to have happened in recent weeks, as shown by our IBD/TIPP Poll of 900 people taken from July 26 to August 2. Keep in mind that anything over 50 is optimistic; under 50, pessimistic.

Start with our Presidential Leadership Index, which jumped 3.2% in August to 45.7, the highest level since President Trump's first full month in office.

Equally important, the Direction of the Country Index, which gauges how Americans feel about our nation's current course, surged 13% to 50.1 in August. That's the highest level since 2005.

hen there's our proprietary Quality of Life Index. It rose 7% for the month to 64.2. This is the highest ever, eclipsing the previous high of 63.1 set way back in 2004.

We could go on. But you get the idea. The poll-based indicators measuring how people feel about things have moved up sharply. Put simply, people feel better about the country than they have in years, even decades. Why? Look no farther than Friday's jobs report — another sign the economy is firing on all cylinders.

The 157,000 rise in payrolls at U.S. businesses doesn't sound so great until you realize that the two previous months were revised up by 59,000. We've averaged 215,000 new jobs a month this year, 224,000 in the last three months alone. Even manufacturing, long given up for dead, gained 37,000 jobs.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate slipped to 3.9%, just a tick above its modern 49-year-low of 3.8% set in May of this year.

As everyone knows, second quarter GDP rose at 4.1% — and will likely be revised upward in coming months. But economists are now busy revising their third quarter GDP growth estimates upward, based on a continued strong economy — and despite the ongoing tariff-trade skirmish between the U.S., China, Mexico, Canada and the EU. Even manufacturing, long given up for dead, gained 37,000 jobs.

Contrary to what the media tell you, this time those with low incomes and minorities are participating in the growth.

For instance, the jobless rate for those who lack a high school diploma is now at its lowest level ever. As for those who want to work full-time but can only find part-time work, their rate is the lowest since 2007 — the month the 2007-2008 economic crash began.

Latino and Hispanic workers' unemployment rates stood at 4.5% — an all-time low. Meanwhile, at 6.6%, African-American unemployment now equals the third-lowest rate ever. Minority workers are participating in this boom as never before.

And all workers are seeing gains from working, with average hourly earnings rising a solid 2.7% for a second-straight month.

There's one big reason for this: President Trump's policies of tax cuts, deregulation and plentiful energy have revived the growth spirits of our economy. Some day, even our mainstream media friends will understand this fact.
    https://www.investors.com/politics/e...pp-poll-media/
    Isn't it wonderful, everyone I know is feeling better about the country, the economy and life in general.
    I feel blessed to live in America, and always have, but where we were headed under Democrat rule was alarming.
    It's like no one cared.

Seeing all that Trump has done in 17 months makes me wonder if the last four presidents were even trying
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

12. #83 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,341 Times in 5,714 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 374 Times in 355 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantasmal View Post
    Bush 41 was the smarter of the two Bushes, he knew better than to go into Baghdad. I bet the younger now wishes he had listened to dad.
    don't know if that's true, Iraq is a much better place to live now, for Iraqis, and the notice Bush served to Hussein was you defy UN orders you may end up on the business end of a rope, from your own peoples hands too is a message I think a lot of thug dictators will pay attention to for years to come.
    This just In::: Trump indicted for living in liberals heads and not paying RENT

C̶N̶N̶ SNN.... Shithole News Network

Trump Is Coming back to a White House Near you

13. #84 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 14,824 Times in 8,868 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 896 Times in 801 Posts
    Blog Entries

I lot of self-stroking going on these days ... can't imagine why, with Mr Happy in the White House is soooo Angry.
    ONE-N-DONE, YOU GOT PLAYED; Time To Play-On
    Remember ... ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES ... So STFU Bitch

14. #85 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,294 Times in 8,007 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,132 Times in 1,059 Posts
    Blog Entries

A just-released IBD/TIPP Poll shows big gains in key sentiment indicators. Given the pervasive negativity in the media these days, you might doubt these positive polling numbers. If so, have you looked at the economy lately?

When it comes to President Trump and the national mood, something seems to have happened in recent weeks, as shown by our IBD/TIPP Poll of 900 people taken from July 26 to August 2. Keep in mind that anything over 50 is optimistic; under 50, pessimistic.

Start with our Presidential Leadership Index, which jumped 3.2% in August to 45.7, the highest level since President Trump's first full month in office.

Equally important, the Direction of the Country Index, which gauges how Americans feel about our nation's current course, surged 13% to 50.1 in August. That's the highest level since 2005.

hen there's our proprietary Quality of Life Index. It rose 7% for the month to 64.2. This is the highest ever, eclipsing the previous high of 63.1 set way back in 2004.

We could go on. But you get the idea. The poll-based indicators measuring how people feel about things have moved up sharply. Put simply, people feel better about the country than they have in years, even decades. Why? Look no farther than Friday's jobs report — another sign the economy is firing on all cylinders.

The 157,000 rise in payrolls at U.S. businesses doesn't sound so great until you realize that the two previous months were revised up by 59,000. We've averaged 215,000 new jobs a month this year, 224,000 in the last three months alone. Even manufacturing, long given up for dead, gained 37,000 jobs.

Meanwhile, the unemployment rate slipped to 3.9%, just a tick above its modern 49-year-low of 3.8% set in May of this year.

As everyone knows, second quarter GDP rose at 4.1% — and will likely be revised upward in coming months. But economists are now busy revising their third quarter GDP growth estimates upward, based on a continued strong economy — and despite the ongoing tariff-trade skirmish between the U.S., China, Mexico, Canada and the EU. Even manufacturing, long given up for dead, gained 37,000 jobs.

Contrary to what the media tell you, this time those with low incomes and minorities are participating in the growth.

For instance, the jobless rate for those who lack a high school diploma is now at its lowest level ever. As for those who want to work full-time but can only find part-time work, their rate is the lowest since 2007 — the month the 2007-2008 economic crash began.

Latino and Hispanic workers' unemployment rates stood at 4.5% — an all-time low. Meanwhile, at 6.6%, African-American unemployment now equals the third-lowest rate ever. Minority workers are participating in this boom as never before.

And all workers are seeing gains from working, with average hourly earnings rising a solid 2.7% for a second-straight month.

There's one big reason for this: President Trump's policies of tax cuts, deregulation and plentiful energy have revived the growth spirits of our economy. Some day, even our mainstream media friends will understand this fact.
    They see the end of Trumpism coming 'round the corner.

That would make most sane people happy.
    AMERICAN HISTORY ITSELF IS A TESTAMENT TO THE STRENGTH AND RESILIENCE OF AFRICAN PEOPLE. WE, ALONG WITH THE COURGE AND SACRIFICES OF CONSCIOUS WHITE AMERICANS, LIKE VIOLA LIUZZO, EVERETT DIRKSEN, AND MANY OTHERS, HAVE FOUGHT AND DIED TOGETHER FOR OUR FREEDOM, AND FOR OUR SURVIVAL.

In America, rights are are not determined by what is just, fair, equitable, honest, nor by what Jesus would do. Rights are determined ONLY by what you can DEMAND.

15. #86 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,821 Times in 6,166 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,532 Times in 1,444 Posts
    Blog Entries

Republicans are always whining about the "course" of the country and refuse to acknowledge anything besides totalitarianism as the "right course". Of course they would say that, Trumpism is a cult, it's not an ideology.
    "Do not think that I came to bring peace... I did not come to bring peace, but a sword." - Matthew 10:34

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FUCK THE POLICE For This Post:

blackascoal (08-30-2018)