Thanks
    Thanked 8,879 Times in 6,106 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 594 Times in 580 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Rapture Doctrine invented by John Darby in 1830 AD

Rapture Doctrine invented by John Darby in 1830 AD

http://www.bible.ca/rapture-origin-j...rby-1830ad.htm

Rapture doctrine did not exist before John Darby invented it in 1830 AD. Before it "popped into John Darby's head" no one had ever heard of a secret rapture doctrine.

1. Rapture doctrine is one of the most recent "new doctrines" in the history of the Church. The only doctrine more recent is the invention of the sinner's prayer for salvation by Billy Sunday in 1930, which was made popular by Billy Graham in 1935.

2. The fact that John Nelson Darby invented the pre-tribulation rapture doctrine around 1830 AD is unquestionably true. All attempts to find evidence of this wild doctrine before 1830 have failed, with a single exception: Morgan Edwards wrote a short essay as a college paper for Bristol Baptist College in Bristol England in 1744 where he confused the second coming with the first resurrection of Revelation 20 and described a "pre-tribulation" rapture. However Edwards ideas, which he admitted were brand new and never before taught, had no influence in the modern population of the false doctrine. That prize to goes to Darby.

3. Prior to 1830, no church taught it in their creed, catechism or statement of faith.

4. Darby has had a profound impact on religion today, since Darby's "secret rapture" false doctrine has infected most conservative, evangelical churches. While the official creeds and statements of faith of many churches either reject or are silent about Rapture, neither do they openly condemn this doctrine of a demon from the pulpit.

5. While not all dispensationalists believe in the Rapture. All those who teach the Rapture also believe in premillennialism. Both groups use Israel's modern statehood status of 1948 to be a beginning of a countdown to the end.

6. All premillennialists, rapturists and dispensationalists alive today believe the Bible reveals the general era of when Christ will return. The date setters of the 1800's (Seventh-day Adventists who are date setting premillennialists who reject the rapture, Jehovah's Witnesses who have set many dates) based their predictions upon speculative arrangements of numbers and chronologies in the Bible. Today's date setters without exception wrongly believe that Israel gaining state hood in 1948 fulfilled Bible prophecy and that Christ would return within one generation.

7. There are two kinds of premillennialists: Those "Date setters" and "Date Teasers". "Date setters", set specific dates which are in fact a countdown clock to the extinction of their own ministries. (William Miller, Charles Russell, Ronald Weinland, Harold Camping, etc.) "Date teasers", share the same rhetoric of urgency that the "end is very soon", but refuse to lock into a specific date. (Jack Van Impe, Hal Lindsay, Tim LaHaye, Pentecostals, Baptists, Grant Jefferies, Christadelphians.)

8. Most of the TV preachers who promote rapture and/or "date set" all wrongly believe they are a prophet of God with special illumination. Pentecostals believe they are inspired directly from the Holy Spirit as modern day prophets. Baptists believe they are illuminated with guidance from the Holy Spirit through the Calvinist doctrine of Irresistible grace.

9. Christians reject all these false notions of God illuminating man and rely upon the pages of the Bible alone as a sole source of conduct and doctrine. . Find a church that exposes the Rapture as a heresy in your own home town.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Cypress (08-02-2018), domer76 (08-03-2018), evince (08-11-2018), Phantasmal (08-02-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-08-2018)

3. #2 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

No pre-tribulation Rapture in 1 Thess 4:15-17! This is the only proof text that is ever given for any direct support for the Rapture. The word for "caught up" is "harpásō" in the Greek and is also used of when Paul was "caught up" into 3rd heaven to see visions in 2 Cor 12:2.

However this verse simply teaches what all Christians have taught about the events at the second coming namely: resurrection of all the dead, translation of the living into spirit beings, destruction of the earth, judgement, heaven and hell... all in a twinkling of an eye at the last trumpet.

4. #3 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kudzu View Post
    No pre-tribulation Rapture in 1 Thess 4:15-17! This is the only proof text that is ever given for any direct support for the Rapture. The word for "caught up" is "harpásō" in the Greek and is also used of when Paul was "caught up" into 3rd heaven to see visions in 2 Cor 12:2.

However this verse simply teaches what all Christians have taught about the events at the second coming namely: resurrection of all the dead, translation of the living into spirit beings, destruction of the earth, judgement, heaven and hell... all in a twinkling of an eye at the last trumpet.
    You have what you call "the Rapture",mixed up with the second coming!

5. #4 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by milomason View Post
    You have what you call "the Rapture",mixed up with the second coming!
    No.. I am not mixed up. Darby inspired the Scofield heresy which was paid for and published by Samuel Untermeyer to promote Zionism.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Controlled Opposition (08-02-2018)

7. #5 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,608 Times in 9,279 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 1,405 Times in 1,371 Posts
    Blog Entries

No.. I am not mixed up. Darby inspired the Scofield heresy which was paid for and published by Samuel Untermeyer to promote Zionism.
    You obviously assumed 1Thessalonians 4:16-17,was the Rapture,or you wouldn't have brought up the Rapture
    Last edited by Mason Michaels; 08-02-2018 at 02:04 PM.

8. #6 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 54,771 Times in 33,632 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 5,065 Times in 4,683 Posts
    Blog Entries

www.bible.ca/rapture-origin-john-nelson-darby-1830ad.htm

Rapture doctrine did not exist before John Darby invented it in 1830 AD. Before it "popped into John Darby's head" no one had ever heard of a secret rapture doctrine.

1. Rapture doctrine is one of the most recent "new doctrines" in the history of the Church. The only doctrine more recent is the invention of the sinner's prayer for salvation by Billy Sunday in 1930, which was made popular by Billy Graham in 1935.

2. The fact that John Nelson Darby invented the pre-tribulation rapture doctrine around 1830 AD is unquestionably true. All attempts to find evidence of this wild doctrine before 1830 have failed, with a single exception: Morgan Edwards wrote a short essay as a college paper for Bristol Baptist College in Bristol England in 1744 where he confused the second coming with the first resurrection of Revelation 20 and described a "pre-tribulation" rapture. However Edwards ideas, which he admitted were brand new and never before taught, had no influence in the modern population of the false doctrine. That prize to goes to Darby.

3. Prior to 1830, no church taught it in their creed, catechism or statement of faith.

4. Darby has had a profound impact on religion today, since Darby's "secret rapture" false doctrine has infected most conservative, evangelical churches. While the official creeds and statements of faith of many churches either reject or are silent about Rapture, neither do they openly condemn this doctrine of a demon from the pulpit.

5. While not all dispensationalists believe in the Rapture. All those who teach the Rapture also believe in premillennialism. Both groups use Israel's modern statehood status of 1948 to be a beginning of a countdown to the end.

6. All premillennialists, rapturists and dispensationalists alive today believe the Bible reveals the general era of when Christ will return. The date setters of the 1800's (Seventh-day Adventists who are date setting premillennialists who reject the rapture, Jehovah's Witnesses who have set many dates) based their predictions upon speculative arrangements of numbers and chronologies in the Bible. Today's date setters without exception wrongly believe that Israel gaining state hood in 1948 fulfilled Bible prophecy and that Christ would return within one generation.

7. There are two kinds of premillennialists: Those "Date setters" and "Date Teasers". "Date setters", set specific dates which are in fact a countdown clock to the extinction of their own ministries. (William Miller, Charles Russell, Ronald Weinland, Harold Camping, etc.) "Date teasers", share the same rhetoric of urgency that the "end is very soon", but refuse to lock into a specific date. (Jack Van Impe, Hal Lindsay, Tim LaHaye, Pentecostals, Baptists, Grant Jefferies, Christadelphians.)

8. Most of the TV preachers who promote rapture and/or "date set" all wrongly believe they are a prophet of God with special illumination. Pentecostals believe they are inspired directly from the Holy Spirit as modern day prophets. Baptists believe they are illuminated with guidance from the Holy Spirit through the Calvinist doctrine of Irresistible grace.

9. Christians reject all these false notions of God illuminating man and rely upon the pages of the Bible alone as a sole source of conduct and doctrine. . Find a church that exposes the Rapture as a heresy in your own home town.
    I had to research Christidelphians. I’d never heard of this sect.

9. #7 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 40,786 Times in 32,152 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,865 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Blog Entries

he didn't invent the second coming of Christ......he invented millennialism.......

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PostmodernProphet For This Post:

jimmymccready (08-08-2018)

11. #8 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,812 Times in 6,202 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 493 Times in 469 Posts
    Blog Entries

http://www.bible.ca/rapture-origin-j...rby-1830ad.htm

Pre trib rapture nonsense has infected a lot of evangelical churches, I don't think I'd say "most".
    Every life matters

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to countryboy For This Post:

J Craft (08-11-2018), jimmymccready (08-08-2018)

13. #9 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,108 Times in 3,183 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 137 Times in 133 Posts
    Blog Entries

It's a minor point, but I find it difficult to lump all Baptists together. I've known too many who drink, fornicate like rabbits and who could make evince blush. Then Sunday rolls around.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Controlled Opposition For This Post:

kudzu (08-08-2018)

15. #10 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by countryboy View Post
    Pre trib rapture nonsense has infected a lot of evangelical churches, I don't think I'd say "most".
    I'll defer to you on that. Thanks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

countryboy (08-02-2018)

17. #11 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 50,287 Times in 27,095 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 2,975 Times in 2,692 Posts

I grew up attending Russian Orthodox service, and I do not recall a single time the Eastern Orthodox church mentioned a "rapture". I am pretty sure they reject out of hand the notion of a Rapture.

And the Orthodox Church has been around for two thousand years, so I assume their ability to interpret biblical theology is a tad more rooted and well founded than these Protestant offshoot churches that arose in the 19th century.

Basically, I have always thought that certain people are making money off this Rapture nonsense. Rapture is a cottage industry of sorts that takes advantage of people who aren't bright enough to know they are being duped.

Just my two cents.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cypress For This Post:

Guno צְבִי (08-08-2018), jimmymccready (08-08-2018), Minister of Truth (08-11-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-08-2018)

19. #12 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

The concept of "The Rapture" was simply unknown in the first 18 centuries of Christianity.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

kudzu (08-08-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-08-2018)

21. #13 | Top
    Thanks
    Groans
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    I grew up attending Russian Orthodox service, and I do not recall a single time the Eastern Orthodox church mentioned a "rapture". I am pretty sure they reject out of hand the notion of a Rapture.

And the Orthodox Church has been around for two thousand years, so I assume their ability to interpret biblical theology is a tad more rooted and well founded than these Protestant offshoot churches that arose in the 19th century.

Basically, I have always thought that certain people are making money off this Rapture nonsense. Rapture is a cottage industry of sorts that takes advantage of people who aren't bright enough to know they are being duped.

Just my two cents.
    Bingo... You're right. It didn't exist until the late 1800s and it didn't begin to catch on in the US until the Depression and the Dust Bowl.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kudzu For This Post:

Cypress (08-08-2018), jimmymccready (08-08-2018), ThatOwlWoman (08-08-2018)

23. #14 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,367 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 888 Times in 802 Posts
    Blog Entries

Evangelicalism and Fundamentalism and Pentecostalism and The Rapture are all jumbled together.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmymccready For This Post:

ThatOwlWoman (08-08-2018)

25. #15 | Top
    Thanks
    Thanked 82,529 Times in 52,746 Posts
    Groans
    Groaned 4,657 Times in 4,376 Posts
    Blog Entries

Bingo... You're right. It didn't exist until the late 1800s and it didn't begin to catch on in the US until the Depression and the Dust Bowl.
    I never heard of it myself until in my 30s. We were raised as Lutherans. My personal opinion about it is that it seems to be a way to 1) get the church ppl to get out and try to convert more ppl, 2) donate more of their earthly goodies because pretty soon they won't be needing any of that, and 3) behave yourselves or you're not going on the ride.