PDA

View Full Version : What Nations do we have represented?

Damocles
09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Which nations are represented by our membership? I know we have the UK and the US, do we have any Canadians?

I've been thinking of rotating flags as the header/banner for the site...

I could rotate state flags as well, but I think that might get too burdensome.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-15-2006, 08:41 PM
Canadiankid...

FUCK THE POLICE
09-15-2006, 08:43 PM
Really, though, people from other nations are a very small minority. The only other national community here really is the English. We may have a single Candian, if CanadianKid came. Rotating flags is simply pointless. Maybe you could be nation neutral by removing the flag...

Damocles
09-15-2006, 08:58 PM
I tried that, nobody liked the result. I was thinking of weighting it so that the US flag showed up most often with the others less so. Maybe one with all three and if new nations became represented I would have a need to add more.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Well, you could have every person who signs up give their nationality. Then you could have a 30-day rotational cycle, and to decide which nation gets how many days on the calendar you use this formula:

C = P/2X+1

Where C is the amount of days they get on the calendar, P is the amount of people of each nationality, and X is the amount of days they've already gotten in the calendar. You could refresh this to the current nationality percentages after each 30-day cycle, and change flags as new nations appear and disappear.

But that would be ridiculously complicated, and most people would probably regard us as ridiculous for having such a ludicrously frivolous system of flag rotation.

BRUTALITOPS
09-16-2006, 09:31 AM
just try and think of a universal symbol of politics...some greek dude or something.

Thorn
09-19-2006, 12:39 PM
I'm Canadian. Living and working now in Texas, married to an American from NJ, but still a Canuck. Born and largely raised in Nova Scotia, educated there and in Ontario and Quebec. Postdoctoral work took me over several US cities.
:)

AnyOldIron
09-20-2006, 07:01 AM
Well, the boards really cover the anglosphere, so why not all the flags.

The Stars and Bars, The Jack and the Maple leaf.

If we get any Aussies onboard we could add a kangeroo or something.....

Damocles
09-20-2006, 08:59 AM
I'm Canadian. Living and working now in Texas, married to an American from NJ, but still a Canuck. Born and largely raised in Nova Scotia, educated there and in Ontario and Quebec. Postdoctoral work took me over several US cities.
:)
Wow. You learn something new every day. I had no idea, Thorn!

Thorn
09-20-2006, 09:36 AM
Wow. You learn something new every day. I had no idea, Thorn!

Ha. You just haven't heard me say "about" or "sorry". :D Haven't said "eh", though, except in jest, since crossing the border all those years ago.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Well, the boards really cover the anglosphere, so why not all the flags.

The Stars and Bars, The Jack and the Maple leaf.

If we get any Aussies onboard we could add a kangeroo or something.....

LOL...

The "stars and bars" is the confederate flag, Any. I'm pretty sure you aren't an expert on the American civil war, though... do they even talk about it in your textbooks in the UK?

We don't have any other nations besides the UK and America. I don't think we have anyone from Canada. If we wanted to do the entire Anglosphere we'd have to include Australia, New Zeland, and possibly Ireland (although really thay aren't anglos).

Damocles
09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Ha. You just haven't heard me say "about" or "sorry". :D Haven't said "eh", though, except in jest, since crossing the border all those years ago.
Dirty Canadians with their floppy heads!

Wow! I'm glad you're here!

:D

j/k.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-20-2006, 07:41 PM
Many Americans might get confused, however, if we have a Canadian flag or a UK flag flying on a day they happen to visit. The UK and Candian visitors certainly know what their getting, but the American market is certainly our largest, by at least a 95% degree.

Cypress
09-20-2006, 08:29 PM
Put up State flags.

Long live the Bear Republic!

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:09 PM
Make our own flag ?

Damocles
09-20-2006, 09:10 PM
The JPP Flag? Hmmm.... What would it look like?

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:12 PM
I dunno a contest maybe ? Flapping lips and or flying finners might be involved in the graphics ;)

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Perhaps a jackass and elephant, etc on it ?

Damocles
09-20-2006, 09:15 PM
LOL. A dwarf and a midget maybe?

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
jackass and elephant in a brawl ? with something else to represent those not of either dominant party ?

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:20 PM
Lets go for a trademake type of flag, something distinctive for the site.

Damocles
09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
And some mustachioed arrogant for the Brits? ;) J/k Brits, don't get all in a bunch!

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Maybe a jackass and a elephant facing the line to scratch with a flagman in the middle dropping the flag to start ? Mean looks on both faces, saying "I am going to whip your butt" ?

Damocles
09-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been looking for. Something unique...

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Ahh AOI I am sure enjoys watching demoncrats and rebutlicans going at it.
Can't please everyone this is for the site, which is predominately US. But we of course welcome input from any country. too bad we don't have more differing viewpoints from more countires on here. We yanks could learn a lot.

uscitizen
09-20-2006, 09:25 PM
Perhaps spectators in the background with tshirts with many different flags on them. with arms waving and mouths open...

Damocles
09-20-2006, 09:26 PM
No kidding. The most Canadians I have seen on a site are a Conservative leaning site that I used to hang out in... not FP.

AnyOldIron
09-21-2006, 01:53 AM
The "stars and bars" is the confederate flag, Any. I'm pretty sure you aren't an expert on the American civil war, though... do they even talk about it in your textbooks in the UK?

Is it really? You live and learn! What is the nick-name of the Union flag? Is that 'old glory'?

We only cover in little detail the US civil war at school and I haven't done any great detailed study since. We mostly concentrate on our civil war.

FUCK THE POLICE
09-21-2006, 05:21 AM

Is it really? You live and learn! What is the nick-name of the Union flag? Is that 'old glory'?

We only cover in little detail the US civil war at school and I haven't done any great detailed study since. We mostly concentrate on our civil war.

The US flag has a hell of a lot of names, but I think the one you were looking for was the "stars and stripes". The "stars and bars" refers to the bars on the old confederate flag, although most people call the battle flag (a completely different flag) the "Stars and Bars", and it doesn't have any bars.

We usually have several chapters devoted to our civil war, of course, in American history class. In world history we have one chapter, or part of one chapter, devoted to the civil war, then we get back to the rest of the world. We have like a chapter devoted to the British one in some place... I was just wondering if the American one even meant anything to the rest of the world, because it still affects us today.

AnyOldIron
09-21-2006, 05:48 AM
I was just wondering if the American one even meant anything to the rest of the world, because it still affects us today.

Of course. We don't go into great detail, mostly just the causes and repercussions. It is also studied in relation to the emancipation act of 1833...

OrnotBitwise
09-21-2006, 08:55 AM
I dunno a contest maybe ? Flapping lips and or flying finners might be involved in the graphics ;)
Oh, hell no! It would end up looking like the Team Zissou flag at the end of The Life Aquatic. "See that little 'G' on the swan up there? That's for Grind."

uscitizen
09-21-2006, 09:12 AM
Flag colors... Red and blue of course, and green for huggers, or capitalists, take your pick. What other colors ? Purple for the gays ? Pink for the pacifists ?

yesh this is beginning to look like a paint factory explosion. Of course that pretty much describes politics in America ;)