PDA

View Full Version : The Psychology of Christian Fundamentalism

Guno צְבִי
06-19-2018, 03:26 PM
The need to sustain complex connections at the level of thought (not fact) through the evolution of mental abilities that are necessarily connected with developing all the metaphoric resources of language. The literal in contrast puts an end to thought. It offers the mind a way to shut down, to reify itself. It thereby exorcises the greatest fear: interpretation and its inevitable result, the conflict of interpretations and with it the terror of being forever bereft of dogmatic certitudes. A metaphor is the lighting flash of an intelligence that sees, as Aristotle asserts, connections that can only be sustained by a thought that thereby liberates itself from the immediate.

Literalism is the attempt to arrest all of this before it takes hold. It’s innermost necessity is the resistance to metaphor. For with metaphor one enters a world that has the power to unravel the literal mind. Let me offer one example. “There is no God and Mary is his mother.” In this great aphorism Santayana asserts an ontological impossibility and a psychological necessity. I once tried it out on some fundamentalist friends. They were at first puzzled by the unintelligibility of the statement then amazed that Santayana and I were so dumb we couldn’t see the contradiction. Finally the light went on, almost in chorus, the literalist deconstruction of the statement: “If he wasn’t a God how could she be a mother?” All attempts to suggest that the statement wasn’t meant to be taken literally only produced further confusion then frustration then anger. Santayana’s statement made no sense precisely because it was a koan, a paradox intended to produce reflection, even introspection. It was there I suggested that one would find the key to its meaning; not in the assertion that its meaningless constituted evidence that Santayana was perverse or mentally unbalanced. We were, of course, talking at irretrievable cross-purposes with no way to bridge the gulf between us. Which was, of course, the point of the exercise.

Literalism is the first line of defense of a mind that wants to put itself to sleep. A sensibility that like Nietzsche’s last man can only blink in blank incomprehension at anything that can’t be immediately understood. It is the great protection against a world teeming with complexities.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2005/01/08/the-psychology-of-christian-fundamentalism/

Jack
06-19-2018, 03:50 PM
guno ("Goyim want a pork treat").
I'm not sure YOU are the person to lecture anybody on this.

kudzu
06-19-2018, 03:55 PM

Its from Counterpunch not guno.

kudzu
06-19-2018, 03:57 PM

Its from Counterpunch not guno.

archives
06-19-2018, 04:16 PM
You are kidding, right?

You got such as "metaphoric resources of language," "this great aphorism," "forever bereft of dogmatic certitudes," plus Santayana all in one post and are expecting a relevant exchange on this forum?

I got no beef with the Fundamentalist as long as they are Fundamentalist, actually do follow the "literalism" discussed in your quote, however, what I found is that it is a cafeteria "literalism," they pick and choose what religious dogma they want to apply to life, quick example, how could they follow a leader who probably has easily broken four of the ten commandments

Personally, I'm more Platonic, you either believe or you don't, you can not find a rational explanation for what one has faith in

ThatOwlWoman
06-19-2018, 04:33 PM
I don't care what religion (or no religion) someone is, or really why they believe that, as long as 1) they keep it to themselves and don't try to convert others, and 2) don't try to insert it into the government and the laws of this country.

archives
06-19-2018, 04:42 PM
I don't care what religion (or no religion) someone is, or really why they believe that, as long as 1) they keep it to themselves and don't try to convert others, and 2) don't try to insert it into the government and the laws of this country.

Exactly, especially the second part, but it is not often accepted, they might criticize it, but a lot of religious people expect the Federal Gov't to enforce their religious beliefs.

ThatOwlWoman
06-19-2018, 04:49 PM
Exactly, especially the second part, but it is not often accepted, they might criticize it, but a lot of religious people expect the Federal Gov't to enforce their religious beliefs.

And if not, then they cry "Persecution!" Because not being allowed to put a nativity scene on the City Hall lawn or not being allowed to have Intelligent Design taught in high school biology class is exactly the same as being thrown into the Coliseum and torn apart by wild beasts.

PostmodernProphet
06-19-2018, 06:21 PM
The need to sustain complex connections at the level of thought (not fact) through the evolution of mental abilities that are necessarily connected with developing all the metaphoric resources of language. The literal in contrast puts an end to thought. It offers the mind a way to shut down, to reify itself. It thereby exorcises the greatest fear: interpretation and its inevitable result, the conflict of interpretations and with it the terror of being forever bereft of dogmatic certitudes. A metaphor is the lighting flash of an intelligence that sees, as Aristotle asserts, connections that can only be sustained by a thought that thereby liberates itself from the immediate.

Literalism is the attempt to arrest all of this before it takes hold. It’s innermost necessity is the resistance to metaphor. For with metaphor one enters a world that has the power to unravel the literal mind. Let me offer one example. “There is no God and Mary is his mother.” In this great aphorism Santayana asserts an ontological impossibility and a psychological necessity. I once tried it out on some fundamentalist friends. They were at first puzzled by the unintelligibility of the statement then amazed that Santayana and I were so dumb we couldn’t see the contradiction. Finally the light went on, almost in chorus, the literalist deconstruction of the statement: “If he wasn’t a God how could she be a mother?” All attempts to suggest that the statement wasn’t meant to be taken literally only produced further confusion then frustration then anger. Santayana’s statement made no sense precisely because it was a koan, a paradox intended to produce reflection, even introspection. It was there I suggested that one would find the key to its meaning; not in the assertion that its meaningless constituted evidence that Santayana was perverse or mentally unbalanced. We were, of course, talking at irretrievable cross-purposes with no way to bridge the gulf between us. Which was, of course, the point of the exercise.

Literalism is the first line of defense of a mind that wants to put itself to sleep. A sensibility that like Nietzsche’s last man can only blink in blank incomprehension at anything that can’t be immediately understood. It is the great protection against a world teeming with complexities.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2005/01/08/the-psychology-of-christian-fundamentalism/
gosh, I wonder what would happen if two conservative Christians thought differently than each other......

PostmodernProphet
06-19-2018, 06:29 PM
I got no beef with the Fundamentalist as long as they are Fundamentalist, actually do follow the "literalism" discussed in your quote, however, what I found is that it is a cafeteria "literalism," they pick and choose what religious dogma they want to apply to life, quick example, how could they follow a leader who probably has easily broken four of the ten commandments

no one is a total literalist.....there's a bible verse that says "the cattle on a thousand hills sing the praises of the Lord"........ask someone who claims to be a literalist what the cattle on hill #1001 sing......

PostmodernProphet
06-19-2018, 06:30 PM
Quote Originally Posted by ThatOwlWoman View Post
I don't care what religion (or no religion) someone is, or really why they believe that, as long as 1) they keep it to themselves and don't try to convert others, and 2) don't try to insert it into the government and the laws of this country..

I know, right?.....Christians are real assholes for starting threads like this one......

countryboy
06-19-2018, 06:36 PM

Should we abolish the First Amendment so your delicate sensibilities aren't offended?

countryboy
06-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Do you include atheists in that group?

ThatOwlWoman
06-19-2018, 06:41 PM
Should we abolish the First Amendment so your delicate sensibilities aren't offended?

I think you're the only one offended here. The First Amendment has nothing to do with this; it has to do with a state-established and/or approved religion. *No* religious beliefs should not be part of public (i.e. government i.e. taxpayer-supported) functions. Not yours, not mine, not that Satanist guy over there, or that Muslim lady down that way. Understanding that this is what was intended by the 1st Amendment has nothing to do with being offended, which I am not.

countryboy
06-19-2018, 06:43 PM
And if not, then they cry "Persecution!" Because not being allowed to put a nativity scene on the City Hall lawn or not being allowed to have Intelligent Design taught in high school biology class is exactly the same as being thrown into the Coliseum and torn apart by wild beasts.

Lol, I think libs just can't stand a little competition in the victimhood status Arena.

countryboy
06-19-2018, 06:45 PM
I think you're the only one offended here. The First Amendment has nothing to do with this; it has to do with a state-established and/or approved religion. *No* religious beliefs should not be part of public (i.e. government i.e. taxpayer-supported) functions. Not yours, not mine, not that Satanist guy over there, or that Muslim lady down that way. Understanding that this is what was intended by the 1st Amendment has nothing to do with being offended, which I am not.

The first amendment has everything to do with this. You said you don't want people trying to convert others etc etc. I can only conclude that you are against religious freedom.

kudzu
06-19-2018, 06:57 PM
The first amendment has everything to do with this. You said you don't want people trying to convert others etc etc. I can only conclude that you are against religious freedom.

So talk to yourself.. Others don't want to hear about world wide floods and Jonah living inside a fish for 3 days.

countryboy
06-19-2018, 07:14 PM
So talk to yourself.. Others don't want to hear about world wide floods and Jonah living inside a fish for 3 days.

And others don't have to listen. But you cannot stop people from practicing their religion. Much to your chagrin, I'm sure.

kudzu
06-19-2018, 07:17 PM
And others don't have to listen. But you cannot stop people from practicing their religion. Much to your chagrin, I'm sure.

Practice your religion, but don't show up on my porch. I'll have you arrested for trespass and solicitation.

ThatOwlWoman
06-19-2018, 07:35 PM

I don't want them trying to convert *me*. Most ppl feel the same. Religious freedom doesn't give you the right to knock on ppl's doors, invade their privacy, tell them they're going to hell if they don't follow your religion, or otherwise harass them. It merely gives them the right to worship as they please. Worship and evangelizing are not synonymous.

ThatOwlWoman
06-19-2018, 07:38 PM

Once again, practicing your religion/worshiping your god is not the same as invading other ppl's privacy to share what you believe, or to preach to your classroom if you're a public school teacher, or to insist that your city council pray to your god before meetings.

PostmodernProphet
06-19-2018, 07:48 PM
Practice your religion, but don't show up on my porch. I'll have you arrested for trespass and solicitation.

ironic you dickheads post this in a thread started to attack Christian beliefs.......

kudzu
06-21-2018, 12:14 PM
ironic you dickheads post this in a thread started to attack Christian beliefs.......

I won't ever show up on your porch at 7 AM or sue you for saving the life of a young mother bleeding out in an emergency room after a due drop in delivery.

PostmodernProphet
06-21-2018, 12:30 PM
I won't ever show up on your porch at 7 AM or sue you for saving the life of a young mother bleeding out in an emergency room after a due drop in delivery.

and I will return the favor........and I will never start a thread intended to attack someone's religious beliefs........though I reserve the right to continue humiliating you idiots for your stupid posts......

kudzu
06-21-2018, 12:31 PM
and I will return the favor........and I will never start a thread intended to attack someone's religious beliefs........though I reserve the right to continue humiliating you idiots for your stupid posts......

You haven't humiliated anyone but yourself.

PostmodernProphet
06-21-2018, 12:39 PM

really?....because I honestly have to say that the board's lib'ruls have surpassed themselves in the last couple of weeks........I can't think of a single one worth reading twice......

Mason Michaels
06-28-2018, 11:05 AM
gosh, I wonder what would happen if two conservative Christians thought differently than each other......

Not going to happen

Phantasmal
06-28-2018, 11:24 AM
His usual MO

kudzu
06-28-2018, 11:30 AM
really?....because I honestly have to say that the board's lib'ruls have surpassed themselves in the last couple of weeks........I can't think of a single one worth reading twice......

Then what are you doing here?

Grugore
06-28-2018, 11:41 AM

Without the freedom to offend, there can be no free speech.

Phantasmal
06-28-2018, 11:44 AM
Spreading Christianity?

kudzu
06-28-2018, 11:44 AM
Without the freedom to offend, there can be no free speech.

I don't have to pay for a venue for you to express your beliefs. Does that make sense to you?

kudzu
06-28-2018, 11:45 AM
Spreading Christianity?

It isn't working.. Its really hard to get adults to reject science and history for morality tales and myths.

Phantasmal
06-28-2018, 11:47 AM
It isn't working.. Its really hard to get adults to reject science and history for morality tales and myths.
Even with his Christlike attitude and name calling? You aren’t ready to convert?

PostmodernProphet
06-28-2018, 12:36 PM

making fun of you, obviously.....

PostmodernProphet
06-28-2018, 12:38 PM

really?.....abortionists reject science at the drop of a fetus........

Guno צְבִי
06-29-2018, 06:50 PM
really?.....abortionists reject science at the drop of a fetus........

https://pics.esmemes.com/i-just-got-out-of-church-just-kidding-im-not-7541386.png

PostmodernProphet
06-29-2018, 07:22 PM
I JUST GOT OUT OF CHURCH

its a shame you slept through it.....

Irish Exit
06-29-2018, 09:20 PM

Your orthodoxy; their orthodoxy. What's the difference. It is like an episode of Big Bang Theory with Sheldon and Howard fighting over their little parts of science.

rjhenn
06-30-2018, 12:49 AM
Spreading Christianity?
More like undermining it.

Grugore
07-09-2018, 07:14 PM

News flash. God hates you. It's one thing to reject God. It is something else entirely to constantly try to lead others astray. God is laughing at you. You poor fool.

Fentoine Lum
07-09-2018, 07:17 PM
I know, right?.....Christians are real assholes for starting threads like this one......

Run along and dig into what real conservatives like Goldwater thought about the frothy-mouthed zealot fundamentalists.

Guno צְבִי
07-09-2018, 07:44 PM
News flash. God hates you. It's one thing to reject God. It is something else entirely to constantly try to lead others astray. God is laughing at you. You poor fool.

sorry for your mental illness

Guno צְבִי
07-09-2018, 07:49 PM
Run along and dig into what real conservatives like Goldwater thought about the frothy-mouthed zealot fundamentalists.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/88/2c/a3/882ca3994f3d6798f1f7eac56046b0df--republican-presidential-debate-republican-party.jpg

http://www.subdude-site.com/WebPages_Local/Blog/topics/government/Republicans_StrangeBedfellows/images/quote_BarryGoldwater_onWomensRights_400x462.jpg

PostmodernProphet
07-09-2018, 07:50 PM
If I recall, Barry is dead.......

Guno צְבִי
07-09-2018, 08:03 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/b0/cd/05/b0cd050cac32eff28ec173918cd3e770--atheist-quotes-anti-religion.jpg

iewitness
07-09-2018, 08:06 PM

seducing unstable minds to antichristism is bad.

Flash
07-09-2018, 08:37 PM

That is the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment. It also has a freedom of religion clause. Do you oppose paid chaplains in the military?

Flash
07-09-2018, 08:39 PM
I don't have to pay for a venue for you to express your beliefs. Does that make sense to you?

You pay for public places that people express their beliefs--parks, schools........

ThatOwlWoman
07-09-2018, 08:40 PM
That is the establishment clause of the 1st Amendment. It also has a freedom of religion clause. Do you oppose paid chaplains in the military?

I don't think that it is a negative thing, given what the military ppl sometimes have to face, and how many find comfort in their faith. That being said, they need to have chaplains who represent most religions, not just the most prevalent one. That, or don't have them at all.

Flash
07-09-2018, 08:45 PM
I don't want them trying to convert *me*. Most ppl feel the same. Religious freedom doesn't give you the right to knock on ppl's doors, invade their privacy, tell them they're going to hell if they don't follow your religion, or otherwise harass them. It merely gives them the right to worship as they please. Worship and evangelizing are not synonymous.

They have the freedom to knock on your door and invade your privacy and you are free to ask them to leave or put no trespassing signs in your yard. Cities cannot require a permit for that activity (religious or political) unless they are soliciting money.

Flash
07-09-2018, 08:47 PM
I don't think that it is a negative thing, given what the military ppl sometimes have to face, and how many find comfort in their faith. That being said, they need to have chaplains who represent most religions, not just the most prevalent one. That, or don't have them at all.

I think they have them for different religions. James Madison opposed chaplains for the military and Congress.

Grugore
07-09-2018, 08:56 PM
They have the freedom to knock on your door and invade your privacy and you are free to ask them to leave or put no trespassing signs in your yard. Cities cannot require a permit for that activity (religious or political) unless they are soliciting money.

It's no different than door to door salesmen. Same laws apply. You don't have to answer the door. And if you do, you can always close it.

Grugore
07-09-2018, 08:58 PM

She is also wrong about worshipping and evangelism not being the same. Dead wrong.

Flash
07-09-2018, 09:11 PM
It's no different than door to door salesmen. Same laws apply. You don't have to answer the door. And if you do, you can always close it.

I think it is somewhat different since there is no constitutional right to sell things but there is for religion and speech. I think they can require permits for sellers.

Flash
07-09-2018, 09:13 PM
She is also wrong about worshipping and evangelism not being the same. Dead wrong.

I don't understand---explain.

iewitness
07-09-2018, 09:24 PM

in concord, nc, I was called out by a resident for going door to door. I simply adapted a skip a few houses and circle back later [discrete] plan and was outside the "door to door" law/ rule/ offense. "wise as serpents and harmless as doves".

Grugore
07-09-2018, 10:42 PM
I don't understand---explain.

Jesus was speaking with one of His desciples. He asked him, "do you love me"? He replied yes. Jesus then told him, "then feed My sheep", meaning witness to others. It is an act of obedience, and one way to recognize who the true Christians are. To simplify, you would not worship God if you did not love Him. . If you love Him, you would obey Him. So, worship and evangelism are inextricably linked.

PostmodernProphet
07-10-2018, 06:40 AM
I think they have them for different religions. James Madison opposed chaplains for the military and Congress.

chaplains can be of any religion but they are required by military regulations to conduct services for within their unit........a Jewish chaplain is expected to conduct Last Rights for a Catholic serviceman........

Phantasmal
07-10-2018, 07:03 AM
I’m laughing at you thinking you know the mind of God.

Phantasmal
07-10-2018, 07:05 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/88/2c/a3/882ca3994f3d6798f1f7eac56046b0df--republican-presidential-debate-republican-party.jpg

http://www.subdude-site.com/WebPages_Local/Blog/topics/government/Republicans_StrangeBedfellows/images/quote_BarryGoldwater_onWomensRights_400x462.jpg
His words were so prophetic.

NiftyNiblick
07-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Theocracy is possibly the worst kind of tyranny.

The Mike Pence types of the world, exactly the same as the Islamic theocrats, are a cancer on humanity itself.

Grugore
07-10-2018, 10:40 AM
I’m laughing at you thinking you know the mind of God.

It's in the Bible. Here. Educate yourself. Your ignorance offends me. Almost as much as your arrogance.
https://billygraham.org/decision-magazine/september-2011/things-god-hates/

Grugore
07-10-2018, 10:43 AM
His words were so prophetic.

Almost as pathetic as what comes out of your lying, ignorant mouth...what was that? You said prophetic? BWAHAHAHA!

Grugore
07-10-2018, 10:47 AM
Theocracy is possibly the worst kind of tyranny.

The Mike Pence types of the world, exactly the same as the Islamic theocrats, are a cancer on humanity itself.

I'm not aware of anyone in America who wants a Theocracy. What we DO want is for our elected officials to obey the Constitution. Is that too much to ask?

NiftyNiblick
07-10-2018, 10:50 AM
The psychology of Christian Fundamentalism?
How about the physiology of Christian Fundamentalism, at least as practiced in the United States?

It's brain damage--a catastrophic birth defect largely blamable on the absence of sufficient abortions.

Even in enlightened Massachusetts, we have people like this. You can't have a civilized conversation on any subject without them bringing their perverse version of religion into it.

My buddy's sister-in-law is an old broad who tries to save my soul every time I run into her at a gathering at his house.

I'll let Dr. Scholls save my soles.....thank you just the same.

Ralph
07-10-2018, 10:50 AM

:laugh: Why do secular humanists always attempt to define a subject they self confess to knowing nothing about.....or they would accept the faith? Why should any creature take advise from a creature that denies CREATION? Its simply a matter of logic and reason in a prima facie manner. FYI: Psychology is not really an objective science.....its subjective to HELL AND BACK. ;) Unless you are making the claim of having the ability to read the thought process of another human being. Its not like humans have ever revealed a capacity for DECEPTION. Its just another elitist smart ass attempting to prove to every one just how smart they are...…………… Truth: Some of the most evil psychopaths in history have the ability to APPEAR PERFECTLY NORMAL. If Psychology were indeed a viable form of science.....would that science not preclude the crimes of psychopaths from existing in the first place? Ain't Logic a hell of a thing?

Conclusion: Physician first demonstrate the ability to heal they self before casting stones within a glass dwelling.

Phantasmal
07-10-2018, 10:51 AM
It's in the Bible. Here. Educate yourself. Your ignorance offends me. Almost as much as your arrogance.

1 Corinthians 2:11

I think Billy Graham worshipped Mammon, I don’t think he’s an authority, he became rich on Jesus.

Guno צְבִי
07-10-2018, 10:52 AM

how nice for you

NiftyNiblick
07-10-2018, 10:55 AM
You lost me at "creation," Ralph.

Why accept science when you can fall for a crazy story instead?

Guno צְבִי
07-10-2018, 10:55 AM
Almost as pathetic as what comes out of your lying, ignorant mouth...what was that? You said prophetic? BWAHAHAHA!

Are there no mental health clinics where you live?

Phantasmal
07-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Oh, snookums, sorry you’re so cranky, maybe you should pray for a kinder spirit to guide you.

Grugore
07-10-2018, 10:57 AM
1 Corinthians 2:11

I think Billy Graham worshipped Mammon, I don’t think his an authority, he became rich on Jesus.

Even the Devil quotes Scripture. You're not fooling anyone. Guno is a confirmed liar. He does nothing but lie. God hates him. It says so, right in the Bible. He causes trouble every chance he gets. With the possible exception of being a murderer, he is everything God hates.

Ralph
07-10-2018, 10:58 AM
You lost me at "creation," Ralph.

Why accept science when you can fall for a crazy story instead?

Exactly: :laugh: Perhaps you were never CREATED. If not explain the existence of life in an OBJECTIVE manner via a presentation of the Scientific Method. Or better yet.....just demonstrate through the Scientific Method how you naturally came to be from STAR DUST. No subjective theories.....just FACTS of SCIENCE. Objective through Observation, reproducible through experimentation that reveals consistency throughout the methodology. Just show us the experiment that brings about life void of creation.

Phantasmal
07-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Even the Devil quotes Scripture. Your not fooling anyone. Guno is a confirmed liar. He does nothing but lie. God hates him. It says so, right in the Bible. He causes trouble every chance he gets. With the possible exception of being a murderer, he is everything God hates.
Lol, I doubt it, but you just keep thinking you know the mind of God, it’s amusing.

Guno צְבִי
07-10-2018, 11:01 AM
If I recall, Barry is dead.......

so is billy graham and jerry fartwell, just waiting for pat robertson to take the dirt nap and didn't the president of the kolobians bite the big one recently?

NiftyNiblick
07-10-2018, 11:03 AM
Life, like everything in the universe, including the universe itself, is the random confluence of sub-atomic particles.

Where did the particles come from?

That's unknowable, but if you want to credit your god, Ralph, that's as good a guess as any. Just be aware that if god created the particles, he/she didn't show any interest in them afterwards. That's knowable by casual observation alone.

Ralph
07-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Life, like everything in the universe, including the universe itself, is the random confluence of sub-atomic particles.

That's unknowable, but if you want to credit your god, Ralph, that's as good a guess as any. Just be aware that if god created the particles, he/she didn't show any interest in them afterwards. That's knowable by casual observation alone.

Right.....just use the Scientific Method to make a fact of your OPINION. Then you have the inherent right to stick your nose up the assholes of other human beings. No one can argue with a FACT OF SCIENCE. ;)

As I demonstrated MY FAITH is constructed upon PRIMA FACIE truths......it is YOU that claims to be working with science actual but just self confessed to something being UNKNOWABLE. Thus that unknown must be reasoned and logical truth....i.e., a from of PHILOSOPHY not science.

That reminds me of a certain Biblical Passage: They profess to be wise but became FOOLS in their arrogance. Paraphrased. God does not exist in prima facie manner but ALEINS DO? Really?

Grugore
07-10-2018, 11:04 AM
Lol, I doubt it, but you just keep thinking you know the mind of God, it’s amusing.

And you keep right on doubting. I know exactly where it will lead you. So do you, if you would just simply let go of your pride and open your eyes. You will stand before God, one day, and be judged. I do not envy you the experience.

Phantasmal
07-10-2018, 11:08 AM
And you keep right on doubting. I know exactly where it will lead you. So do you, if you would just simply let go of your pride and open your eyes. You will stand before God, one day, and be judged. I do not envy you the experience.
Its very kind of you to be worried about me, but perhaps be more concerned about yourself for scriptures is full of examples of Jesus telling those who thought as you did, Pharisees, etc, that the last shall be first and the first last.

Grugore
07-10-2018, 11:10 AM

No interest? Seriously? I don't even know where to begin with that stupid comment, except to wonder if you've ever read the Bible. God sent His Son to die for us. If that's not taking an interest, then what is?

Grugore
07-10-2018, 11:13 AM
Its very kind of you to be worried about me, but perhaps be more concerned about yourself for scriptures is full of examples of Jesus telling those who thought as you did, Pharisees, etc, that the last shall be first and the first last.

You have no clue what you're talking about. You simply mock what you haven't the wit to understand.

Phantasmal
07-10-2018, 11:16 AM
You have no clue what you're talking about. You simply mock what you haven't the wit to understand.

So, the Bible is wrong? You don’t understand the warnings of Jesus? What exactly am I clueless about? What do you think these words mean?

Ralph
07-10-2018, 11:21 AM
So, the Bible is wrong? You don’t understand the warnings of Jesus? What exactly am I clueless about? What do you think these words mean?

You are yet to answer your challenges of WORKING WITH SCIENCE....yet you are making demands of others to present and prove the charges MADE BY YOU? Really? Just how does anyone go about proving YOUR NEGATIVE? Its the typical deflection of all human seculars. You profess a belief in something you can't prove to be a fact and deny you are engaging in nothing but human philosophy and self denying the right of others to the same? Sounds kind'a FASCIST to me. Have you never read or comprehended the 1st amendment? All forms of socialism are grounded in fascism.....as socialism is not compatible with personal liberties and freedoms. The only way socialism can exist is in an attempt to force equality through threats and violence. If you don't believe me just look at the over 100 million unmarked shallow graves of those nations using socialism to seek SOCIAL JUSTICE.

Hermes Thoth
07-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Yea. We know youse don't believe in reality.

Ralph
07-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Yea. We know youse don't believe in reality.

Fascism is self defining. As exampled.

Hermes Thoth
07-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Fascism is self defining. As exampled.

Like getting in people's faces, and pushing back?

PostmodernProphet
07-10-2018, 04:21 PM
so is billy graham and jerry fartwell, just waiting for pat robertson to take the dirt nap and didn't the president of the kolobians bite the big one recently?
I have no idea......I don't know what a kolobian is.......

PostmodernProphet
07-10-2018, 04:21 PM
Like getting in people's faces, and pushing back?

yo ashzat.....

Hermes Thoth
07-10-2018, 07:08 PM
yo ashzat.....

Sup!

NiftyNiblick
07-10-2018, 07:13 PM
No interest? Seriously? I don't even know where to begin with that stupid comment, except to wonder if you've ever read the Bible. God sent His Son to die for us. If that's not taking an interest, then what is?

God is real because the bible says so, and the bible is true because it's the word of god. Even something as simple as an Excel spreadsheet would reject that as "circular logic."

Cypress
07-10-2018, 07:33 PM

I don't mind if a friend or close acquaintance politely asks me if I want to check out their prayer session, or whatever they do.

I just either tell them I'm Muslim or a Satan-worshipper, and that's the end of it.

Conversion is a harsh word, and I agree with you about the "in your face" kind of proselytizing. But there are polite ways of promoting one's religion. My Orthodox buddies seem like they try to poach wayward Catholics, because the Catholic Church in Quebec is down and out. But I get the impression they are cool about it, and do not go about it by trashing Catholicism.

Yes, religion and government are a bad mix, but I cannot say that all religious affiliation with politics is bad. It certainly can be said that the religious left, or the traditionally black churches were leading the way on Civil rights. And the Catholic Church had more than a small hand in bringing down totalitarian communist governments in eastern Europe. Social and economic justice has always been a hallmark of Latin American catholics.

Of course on the downside you have the appalling rightwing theocrats, holding sway the Iranian and Saudi governments, as well as in the Republican Party.

PostmodernProphet
07-10-2018, 07:34 PM
Sup!

lotsa weak minded newbies......

Hermes Thoth
07-10-2018, 07:53 PM
lotsa weak minded newbies......

Niggas be trippin

ThatOwlWoman
07-10-2018, 07:55 PM
I don't mind if a friend or close acquaintance politely asks me if I want to check out their prayer session, or whatever they do.

I just either tell them I'm Muslim or a Satan-worshipper, and that's the end of it.

Conversion is a harsh word, and I agree with you about the "in your face" kind of proselytizing. But there are polite ways of promoting one's religion. My Orthodox buddies seem like they try to poach wayward Catholics, because the Catholic Church in Quebec is down and out. But I get the impression they are cool about it, and do not go about it by trashing Catholicism.

Yes, religion and government are a bad mix, but I cannot say that all religious affiliation with politics is bad. It certainly can be said that the religious left, or the traditionally black churches were leading the way on Civil rights. And the Catholic Church had more than a small hand in bringing down totalitarian communist governments in eastern Europe. Social and economic justice has always been a hallmark of Latin American catholics.

Of course on the downside you have the appalling rightwing theocrats, holding sway the Iranian and Saudi governments, as well as in the Republican Party.

I don't think that anyone minds a friend mentioning their church or giving an invite to a fellowship get-together or church picnic. Most faithful mean well and want to share the joy they get out of their faith. My problem is the "you're going to hell if you don't accept Jesus" crowd, and the ones who want their Bible, god, and prayers in public schools and government arena. I also don't like the ugly-spirited ones like we see around here; there is no joy at all in their hearts or their religion.

Grugore
07-11-2018, 08:31 AM
God is real because the bible says so, and the bible is true because it's the word of god. Even something as simple as an Excel spreadsheet would reject that as "circular logic."

You are fool. People believe in God because of evidence, of which there is plenty. No matter what you say, the Bible is a historical record. The life of Christ was documented by real people who actually knew Him. Some of those people were tortured and killed because they refused to deny a risen Savior. Now I ask you. Who would die for something that was a lie? The answer is nobody. Think about that.

kudzu
07-11-2018, 08:38 AM
You are fool. People believe in God because of evidence, of which there is plenty. No matter what you say, the Bible is a historical record. The life of Christ was documented by real people who actually knew Him. Some of those people were tortured and killed because they refused to deny a risen Savior. Now I ask you. Who would die for something that was a lie? The answer is nobody. Think about that.

The Bible is NOT an historical record.. Its full of geographical errors and anachronisms.

The solution is to learn about the history of the period between 200 BC and 150 AD.. and try to comprehend the symbolism that first century Jews and Christians understood.

Grugore
07-11-2018, 08:45 AM
For a second there, I was tempted to temporarily remove you from my ignore list, to see if you had anything intelligent to say. But I have yet to be pleasantly surprised by doing so, with anyone.

kudzu
07-11-2018, 08:52 AM
For a second there, I was tempted to temporarily remove you from my ignore list, to see if you had anything intelligent to say. But I have yet to be pleasantly surprised by doing so, with anyone.

The Bible is didactic literature, not history or science and was NEVER intended as such.. Even commentary by ancient Jewish sages knew the difference.

Phantasmal
07-11-2018, 09:09 AM
The Bible is didactic literature, not history or science and was NEVER intended as such.. Even commentary by ancient Jewish sages knew the difference.
Scholars also do not believe they were written by Jesus’ companions most of whom were probably illiterate. Scholars believe Mark’s gospel was written first, Matthew and Luke used Mark along with Q to write their versions, but you know this, already. I don’t think Grugore has read much on the subject matter.

Guno צְבִי
07-11-2018, 09:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsC4kf6x_Q0

Guno צְבִי
07-11-2018, 09:26 AM

"the Bible is a historical record. The life of Christ was documented by real people who actually knew Him. Some of those people were tortured and killed because they refused to deny a risen Savior"

your buybull was written long after the mythical god man died off by authors unknown.The Jewish messiah was for the Jews and was not a supernatural being , you dumb ignorant goyim have nothing to do with it

you are an ignorant moron

The Jewish Concept of Messiah and the Jewish Response to Christian Claims

https://jewsforjudaism.org/knowledge/articles/the-jewish-concept-of-messiah-and-the-jewish-response-to-christian-claims/

education goyim education

http://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html

Phantasmal
07-11-2018, 09:32 AM
Unable to give the meaning or afraid to do so, instead you just throw out ad hominems, that’s okay, I’ve found that most Christians know very little about the Bible, but they always claim others don’t understand.

Grugore
07-11-2018, 09:34 AM
"the Bible is a historical record. The life of Christ was documented by real people who actually knew Him. Some of those people were tortured and killed because they refused to deny a risen Savior"

your buybull was written long after the mythical god man died off by authors unknown.The Jewish messiah was for the Jews and was not a supernatural being , you dumb ignorant goyim have nothing to do with it

you are an ignorant moron

The Apostle Paul wrote several books of the New Testament. He was a contemporary of the other apostles and verified much of what the others wrote. BTW, there is no doubt that Paul wrote several of these books. And he wrote them during the first century AD. That's a fact.

Grugore
07-11-2018, 09:37 AM
Unable to give the meaning or afraid to do so, instead you just throw out ad hominems, that’s okay, I’ve found that most Christians know very little about the Bible, but they always claim others don’t understand.

Meaning of what? I'm still waiting for you to post it.

NiftyNiblick
07-11-2018, 09:38 AM
The Apostle Paul wrote several books of the New Testament. He was a contemporary of the other apostles and verified much of what the others wrote. BTW, there is no doubt that Paul wrote several of these books. And he wrote them during the first century AD. That's a fact.

It's none of my business, but if you don't mind, how many useable teeth do you have?
Were your parents siblings or just cousins?

Guno צְבִי
07-11-2018, 09:44 AM
Three Jews who had recently converted to Christianity were having a drink together in a posh restaurant. They started talking about the reasons for their conversions.
“I converted out of love,” said the first. “Not for Christianity, but for a Christian girl. As you both know, my wife insisted that I convert.”
“And I,” said the second, “I converted in order to rise in the legal system. You probably know that my recent appointment as a federal judge may have had something to do with my new religion.”
The third man spoke up: “I converted because I think that the teachings of Christianity are superior to those of Judaism.”
“Are you kidding?” said the first man, spitting out his drink.
“What do you take us for, a couple of goyim?”

Grugore
07-11-2018, 09:46 AM
It's none of my business, but if you don't mind, how many useable teeth do you have?
Were your parents siblings or just cousins?

Looks like you cannot refute what I said. So you resort to childish insults. Typical.

Phantasmal
07-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Meaning of what? I'm still waiting for you to post it.
Lol, go back and read the posts, I’m sure you’ll figure it out if you are as smart as you think you are. Good luck!

Grugore
07-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Lol, go back and read the posts, I’m sure you’ll figure it out if you are as smart as you think you are. Good luck!

How about you just post it again? I'm not going to look for it.

NiftyNiblick
07-11-2018, 09:49 AM
Looks like you cannot refute what I said. So you resort to childish insults. Typical.

Not serious--just being my usual prick, Grugore.

Phantasmal
07-11-2018, 10:03 AM
How about you just post it again? I'm not going to look for it.
Nah, I’m sorry your lazy, it’s not that hard to scroll up.

Phantasmal
07-11-2018, 10:04 AM
Irony!

Grugore
07-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Nah, I’m sorry your lazy, it’s not that hard to scroll up.

I'm not searching over 100 replies. Post what want me to explain and I'll do it. Oherwise, you forfeit.

Grugore
07-11-2018, 12:12 PM
Irony!

Right back at ya.

kudzu
07-11-2018, 12:36 PM

Some scholars think Paul wrote 15 books of the NT.... probably before the destruction of the Temple.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christiancrier/2014/09/04/what-books-of-the-bible-were-written-by-paul/

Phantasmal
07-11-2018, 01:16 PM
I'm not searching over 100 replies. Post what want me to explain and I'll do it. Oherwise, you forfeit.
Nope, it’s right in this thread and you had your chance to reply, but instead chose to insult.

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 02:02 PM
my posts are full of geographical errors and anachronisms.

I know, right?.....

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 02:04 PM
atheist scholars also do not believe they were written by Jesus’ companions most of whom were probably illiterate.

ftfy.....

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 02:05 PM

this ad hom is okay, because you do not in fact know what you are talking about.......

kudzu
07-11-2018, 02:05 PM
I know, right?.....

You changed the quote.. Very childish for an adult male.

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 02:06 PM

the ones that lack any attempt at documentation?.......

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 02:08 PM
You changed the quote.

of course I did......what you posted was a lie......I merely fixed it......

kudzu
07-11-2018, 02:28 PM
of course I did......what you posted was a lie......I merely fixed it......

Haven't you studied your Bible enough to see the errors in geography and anachronisms in it?

Phantasmal
07-11-2018, 02:30 PM
Haven't you studied your Bible enough to see the errors in geography and anachronisms in it?
I doubt he’s read anything scholarly since the 70’s.

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 03:29 PM

I have read your posts and see more errors than those in scripture......

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 03:29 PM
I doubt he’s read anything scholarly since the 70’s.

certainly not in kudzus posts.......

Rune
07-11-2018, 03:36 PM

That would never happen

PostmodernProphet
07-11-2018, 03:38 PM
wonder what would happen if Rune ever thought........

Rune
07-11-2018, 03:38 PM

Religious freedom includes freedom from religion.

Rune
07-11-2018, 03:39 PM

Who said they want to stop anyone?

Rune
07-11-2018, 04:21 PM

He really is a total idiot

countryboy
07-11-2018, 04:26 PM
Religious freedom includes freedom from religion.

No, actually it doesn't. The two cannot possibly exist together.

countryboy
07-11-2018, 04:29 PM
Who said they want to stop anyone?

You're the one who just said freedom from religion is somehow a right. How do you accomplish this without violating the God given Right of religious freedom? Describe this process to me.

Rune
07-11-2018, 05:59 PM
You're the one who just said freedom from religion is somehow a right. How do you accomplish this without violating the God given Right of religious freedom? Describe this process to me.

Wot?
You practice all you want and leave me out of it.

Guno צְבִי
07-11-2018, 06:14 PM

mythical beings don't give rights

Cancel 2019.1
07-11-2018, 09:49 PM
No, actually it doesn't. The two cannot possibly exist together.

From a 1st Amendment POV,the two do exist.

countryboy
07-12-2018, 05:03 AM
From a 1st Amendment POV,the two do exist.

Explain how "freedom from religion" works, please be specific. Also, where is this enumerated in the Constitution?

Rune
07-13-2018, 09:12 AM
Explain how "freedom from religion" works, please be specific. Also, where is this enumerated in the Constitution?

Shit on a stick, are you really this fucking stupid?

You practice your religion all you want, but stay out of my face. Get it?
If not, who gives a fuck, you can't understand simple logic.