PDA

View Full Version : Arguing That Black is White

AnyOldIron
09-15-2006, 05:18 AM
Can anyone actually come up with a valid argument that black is white?

Just for shits and giggles.....

charver
09-15-2006, 06:33 AM
Michael Jackson

AnyOldIron
09-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Michael Jackson

Good point... :)

IHateGovernment
09-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Ok I'll give it a go.

1. Words are just symbolic thought. One can easily interchange the words because words and language are not fixed.

2. A non light admitting object that appears white is actually black because it is reflecting the full spectrum of visible light.

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 08:40 AM
Well if you view in infrared, black can be white. And white can be black. since Black absorbs heat from light better and white reflects it. It is all in the way you view things.

IHateGovernment
09-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Thats a good one didn't think of that. That would apply to any spectrum as well. A creature that viewed objects in ultraviolet would see a white object as black if it was not reflecting UV light.

Damocles
09-15-2006, 08:52 AM
I believe it is only a matter of perception anyway. The brain of one person could translate that set "color" to a totally different picture in their head than that in yours. In fact, it may be opposite to what you "see" thus making, if you swapped perception, "black" into "white".

bob
09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
how about a pice of coal that burns white hot ?

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 08:56 AM
How about a photograph negative ?

bob
09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
How about a photograph negative ?

color or black and white ?

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 09:02 AM
Black and white or white and black, depends on your perspective.

bob
09-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Black and white or white and black, depends on your perspective.

then their is the gray area... hey gray is black and white or white and black so to say

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Only liberals see gray areas though bob :)

Hermes Thoth
06-21-2007, 04:44 AM

In terms of cultural chicness, black is the new white, niggah! Lean back, Shotey.

AnyOldIron II
06-21-2007, 05:01 AM
I always knew you guys could argue black is white, and there are some very valid arguments here...

Excellent!

doniston
06-21-2007, 10:03 AM

Just for shits and giggles.....Is anything "ANYTHING?

Check this out.

in pigmentation Paint, etc. You mix colors to get darker colors, and in this way Black would be considered a combination of all colors (actually it comes out a sort of brown)

However.

If you shine colored spotlights on the same spot on a wall (one blue, one red, and one yellow, ) the spot will be white. Strange but true. because white is considered to be a combination of all colors.

So what is "WHAT"???

uscitizen
06-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Is white even a color ?
Even though it is all colors of the visible light spectrum ?
Is black a color even though it is the absence of light and color ?
Or is it all a matter of reflections ?

Damocles
06-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Is white even a color ?
Even though it is all colors of the visible light spectrum ?
Is black a color even though it is the absence of light and color ?
Or is it all a matter of reflections ?
Color itself is a translation of such reflection by the mind. To say that one is not a color because less or more light is reflected is ridiculous. It is like saying that taste doesn't exist because all it is made up of is a translation of sensation sent by nerves to the brain.

uscitizen
06-21-2007, 11:03 AM
Damo the difference between black and white is all about reflection.
Same for the colors, which part of the spectrum does a particular object reflect or absorb.

Damocles
06-21-2007, 11:22 AM
Damo the difference between black and white is all about reflection.
Same for the colors, which part of the spectrum does a particular object reflect or absorb.
And the difference in flavor is also perception. Color, is simply the mind's interpretation of that reflection, or lack of reflection, sent along the nerves. To say, "This isn't a 'color' because it reflects less light than this does" is denying the interpretation to begin with. You mind interprets the reflection to give things different colors. How you may perceive it is individual, but the fact that the interpretation is there gives it a color.

Cancel7
06-21-2007, 12:09 PM
It's amazing the things boys will argue about.

I can't tell the difference between purple and blue, unless it's a pale, sky blue. I don't know what that means. Probably nothing.

evince
06-21-2007, 12:31 PM
A black hole will swallow everything including light which is all colors combined
so in the case of a black hole the white is black.

Damocles
06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I can see ultra-violet in a rainbow. It was frustrating when I was a kid and started asking what that color was after violet and everybody else thought I was insane.

evince
06-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Damn dude that is COOL!

Cypress
06-21-2007, 12:34 PM

Put down the bong, AOI....this is just stupid :pke: :tongout:

bob
06-21-2007, 01:45 PM
And the difference in flavor is also perception. Color, is simply the mind's interpretation of that reflection, or lack of reflection, sent along the nerves. To say, "This isn't a 'color' because it reflects less light than this does" is denying the interpretation to begin with. You mind interprets the reflection to give things different colors. How you may perceive it is individual, but the fact that the interpretation is there gives it a color.

so in other words my blue could be your green ?

Damocles
06-21-2007, 01:57 PM
so in other words my blue could be your green ?
Yes. Imagine if my perspective of the world were suddenly thrust upon you. What kind of confusion could it bring?

bob
06-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Yes. Imagine if my perspective of the world were suddenly thrust upon you. What kind of confusion could it bring?

ya that would be kinda weird...

Hermes Thoth
06-21-2007, 02:00 PM
I can see ultra-violet in a rainbow. It was frustrating when I was a kid and started asking what that color was after violet and everybody else thought I was insane.

IS that why you tried to mate with a honey bee?

Damocles
06-21-2007, 02:01 PM
IS that why you tried to mate with a honey bee?
Sure, if you say so.

Hermes Thoth
06-22-2007, 12:01 PM
Sure, if you say so.

Finally. You will find subservience under my control to be a soothing palliative, the found home you hadn't realized you'd lost.