PDA

View Full Version : Report: Majority Of Americans Unprepared For Apocalypse

NewsBoy
09-14-2006, 10:51 PM
Over 87 percent of Americans are unprepared to protect themselves from even the most basic world-ending scenarios. Less than one million American households have taken even the simplest precautions against nuclear shockwaves, asteroid impact, or a host of angels bearing swords of fire, the study concluded.

More at link... (http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Report%3A_Majority_Of_Americans_Unprepared_For_Apo calypse)

Cancel7
09-15-2006, 06:59 AM
Over 87 percent of Americans are unprepared to protect themselves from even the most basic world-ending scenarios. Less than one million American households have taken even the simplest precautions against nuclear shockwaves, asteroid impact, or a host of angels bearing swords of fire, the study concluded.

More at link... (http://digg.com/offbeat_news/Report%3A_Majority_Of_Americans_Unprepared_For_Apo calypse)

I knew there was something I forgot to do...

Those f'ing sword bearing Angels. Now I got that to worry about.

Immanuel
09-15-2006, 07:01 AM
What kind of protections from a "World-ending" event would you suggest?

Immie

LadyT
09-15-2006, 07:02 AM
LOL, "The simplest precautions"

Cancel7
09-15-2006, 07:05 AM
LOL, "The simplest precautions"

Right. Just the most basic precautions Immie. For instance, since these might be Satan's Angels, maybe some garlic. Would it kill us to keep a little holy water around? I don't know. I'm gonna think on it, and try and get myself some basic preperations in place by the weekend. I don't know about you but the last thing I need is some firesword bearing Angel chasing my butt around.

LadyT
09-15-2006, 07:08 AM
Right. Just the most basic precautions Immie. For instance, since these might be Satan's Angels, maybe some garlic. Would it kill us to keep a little holy water around? I don't know. I'm gonna think on it, and try and get myself some basic preperations in place by the weekend. I don't know about you but the last thing I need is some firesword bearing Angel chasing my butt around.

Maybe we should as GunsNChrist what he's doing :p

Damocles
09-15-2006, 07:09 AM
What if I prepare and then the comet hits my house? Was it worth it?

Immanuel
09-15-2006, 07:16 AM
What if I prepare and then the comet hits my house? Was it worth it?

Its a marketing scam of Walmart. They want everyone to go out and buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of things they will never use just to boost the bottom line of Walmart. Those corporate devils!!

Immie

IHateGovernment
09-15-2006, 08:27 AM
I laughed at all those people stock piling supplies for Y2K. It was hillarious.

People really are easily led around by media hysteria.

Damocles
09-15-2006, 08:30 AM

My wife kept asking me why I wasn't preparing for Y2K. It was because I had worked very hard to make sure nothing happened. I made a TON as a Consultant fixing everybody's Y2K "issues" that at most would have made their computer show an incorrect date.

The whole idea that it would shut down your car because a chip in it had an old date? Dayum, people really are gullible.

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Assume the appocalyoptic position. Bend over, put head between legs and kiss ass goodbye ;)

Care4all
09-15-2006, 08:50 AM

Actually ihg, you SHOULD have two months supply of food and water in your home....

my sister lived in Miami and took a direct hit from Andrew....the entire community was destroyed, shoot the entire county was destroyed down to homestead AFB....

she did not have electricity for 7 weeks....she did not want to leave her house because she did not want to get looted so she stayed there, alone with her cats and 3 guns with ammo that she owned.....her house was the only one on the street that just lost a part of her roof over an upstairs spare bedroom, the guy next door lost some windows and a good portion of his roof but he was in contruction and had all the supplies to fix it in his garage, and he had a generator with lots of fuel....the rest of her street, the houses were pretty much leveled.... there was no way to get out on to the street to drive anywhere, there was so much debree....(this is south Miami, they took the direct hit from Andrew) It was 2 1/2 weeks before my parents who lived in West palm beach, and me, who lived in Tampa, could get to her at her home in south Miami.....

My sister had supplies and food....at least a months worth, her neighbor with the generator let her hook her refrigerator up to his generator for two hours a day to keep her food good....

but she really needed 7 weeks worth not just a month and was very greatful to see us with supplies she could not get like lanturn oil for her hurricane lamps that she was having to use and we brought her four more hurricane lamps and food and water and gasoline for the generator next door....

I can't even imagine Katrina being worse than Miami after Andrew!!!!! Andrew was a monster and destroyed everything in its path! Cows were found in Naples, across the state, that came from farms in Miami....it stunk, it was a mess, it was something never in my life did I imagine could happen... an A bomb is what I thought on the way to my sister's...

And Katrina was worse, WOW!

Anyway, forget the appocalypse!!!!

but you should have enough supples to take care of you and your family at least for 2 months because YOU KNOW OUR GOVERNMENT will never be there to help you in a timely manner....they are ilprepared so YOU must be...

MY SISTER, suffers from a phobia after that experience with living through Andrew...

She NOW keeps 6 MONTHS supply, including a portable shower with water for a shower at least once a week for the 6 months...in her garage...she has every little thing that she wished she had had during the 7 weeks after Andrew without electricity...she bought a generator and stocks some fuel for it, she bought hurricane shutters and she bought another gun, ..... hahahaha lol

I am telling ya, this experience has scarred her for life and she will never, ever, be unprepared for any natural disaster!

And then, after she was stocked up she began nagging my parents and then me and matt to make sure we have supplies stocked up, for the "just in case" situation...she's anal about this...
care

Damocles
09-15-2006, 08:54 AM
I couldn't imagine not having at least 2 months of non-perishable food in the pantry. The sheer amount of shopping trips we'd have to take to keep our family in food would just not be worth it to me.

Prakosh
09-15-2006, 08:55 AM

Yeah, they voted for Bush and supported his ignorant war on terror and then they followed him like sheep into this war with Iraq and more than half still believe that we can't leave now because they need us. And if the current trends continue and something big happens watch all the minnows in the school run back under the Bush skirts and re-elect a Republican House and Senate.

The Apocalypse: The End is Near...

:gives:

We should be so damn Lucky!

bob
09-15-2006, 08:55 AM

wel ive got my dubbie rolled !!:D

Damocles
09-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Yeah, they voted for Bush and supported his ignorant war on terror and then they followed him like sheep into this war with Iraq and more than half still believe that we can't leave now because they need us. And if the current trends continue and something big happens watch all the minnows in the school run back under the Bush skirts and re-elect a Republican House and Senate.

Right... I'll hearken my memory back to those days and "listen" a bit to Art Bell beating his drum for Gore, at the same time as having guest after guest talking the doom of the nation on Y2K...

Yeah, it was only Rs that thought that there, Prakosh. Only the Rs...

:rolleyes:

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
actually I keep about 55 gal of gas on hand, have a generator, at least a months supply of food and guns and knives to secure more food. Ie kill wild game, cows, chickens, etc....
Country boys will make it longer that city boys and we are prepared to protect what we have.

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 09:01 AM
I read somewhere that most urban areas only have about 45 days of food on hand.

bob
09-15-2006, 09:03 AM
actually I keep about 55 gal of gas on hand, have a generator, at least a months supply of food and guns and knives to secure more food. Ie kill wild game, cows, chickens, etc....
Country boys will make it longer that city boys and we are prepared to protect what we have.

ya but alot of them city boys alredy play for keeps, and alot of em have just as many guns

Damocles
09-15-2006, 09:03 AM
Only a month-and-a-half! They never asked my neighbors! Oh wait, you meant those city folk!

Care4all
09-15-2006, 09:07 AM

I watched a discovery channel special about a MOC icestorm that hit Montreal, and it lasted for 7 days, then a snow storm came in right after it....it showed how the ice could pull all 8 lines of electricity coming in to montreal from thier national grid...no electricity even for hospitals....

Well, anyway, they showed the people that lived in the woods away from the city, were the ones that were most prepared and survived more often than not... because they had several months of food stocked up, shotguns to kill deer or moose if needed, firewood cut for the whole winter to heat them and the utensils to cook off the fire with....

and this show made a point to say that those out in the woods were more than likely the ones that could go through a national grid failure better than those near or in the city.

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 09:14 AM
ya but alot of them city boys alredy play for keeps, and alot of em have just as many guns

City punks ? You can hear em coming a mile away. I knew several in nam and thought I was going to have to shoot one of them to make him keep his blabberin mouth shut before he got us all killed.

Care4all
09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
I read somewhere that most urban areas only have about 45 days of food on hand.
it is 2 1/2 days worth of food supply in each city.

We used to stock food...about 7 years worth for the whole nation, in case of a nuclear attack....

people in the world were starving, I think it was Ethiopia at the time, maybe it was Kenya? but Carter released our grains and supplies of food and sent it to those starving to death in the world, little by little presidents even after him released it to the needy and starving.

I read that now we have none...NONE! NO national food supply in case of an emergency. What our government has said is that we have a 2 1/2 day's supply on all grocery shelves if no other deliveries could get in to the region, for the populace...they would call marshall law and confiscate that food to give out to us.... This was about a year ago that I read this, and that is why, besides my sister being a nag, I have decided to start stocking up....I mean, it really can't hurt to have those can goods on hand....

care

IHateGovernment
09-15-2006, 09:15 AM
My home is quite small so storing two months of supplies would necessitate abandoning a room which I cannot do. Perhaps when I buy a home in a year I can stockpile in such a way.

Currently I stockpile about two weeks of provisions.

Damocles
09-15-2006, 09:18 AM
it is 2 1/2 days worth of food supply in each city.

We used to stock food...about 7 years worth for the whole nation, in case of a nuclear attack....

people in the world were starving, I think it was Ethiopia at the time, maybe it was Kenya? but Carter released our grains and supplies of food and sent it to those starving to death in the world, little by little presidents even after him released it to the needy and starving.

I read that now we have none...NONE! NO national food supply in case of an emergency. What our government has said is that we have a 2 1/2 day's supply on all grocery shelves if no other deliveries could get in to the region, for the populace...they would call marshall law and confiscate that food to give out to us.... This was about a year ago that I read this, and that is why, besides my sister being a nag, I have decided to start stocking up....I mean, it really can't hurt to have those can goods on hand....

care
Don't just do cans. Also do preserves and dry goods. You must have some of those foods to keep healthy. Scurvy is not as far away as you might believe.

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Stock vitamins for the scurvy and beriberi Damo. Much more storable and smaller.

Prakosh
09-15-2006, 09:31 AM
Right... I'll hearken my memory back to those days and "listen" a bit to Art Bell beating his drum for Gore, at the same time as having guest after guest talking the doom of the nation on Y2K...

Yeah, it was only Rs that thought that there, Prakosh. Only the Rs...

:rolleyes:

I don't think I said a word about Y2K. I laughed about the Y2K thing before Y2K, and did absolutely nothing, nothing to prepare for it....nothing. And I thought everybody who was worried were fools and idiots, pure and simple. Where did I say it was only "Rs"! Please show me! When Bush was beating the Drums for Iraq about 80 percent of the population of the United States of Amnesia supported the war, does that sound like all R's to you. Do you actually believe that 80 percent of the population is Republican? If so you really are living in a dream world.

Me, I think it's more like about 38 to 40 percent maximum so the rest had to be others. You go ahead and make them all Republicans if you like. I could care less. I think you are the one who has a problem with labels, not me. You are constantly trying to claim that I am a Democrat or support Democrats, or that anything negative I say always alpplies to R's. Here's an example that shows you are wrong.

Damocles
09-15-2006, 09:35 AM
I don't think I said a word about Y2K. I laughed about the Y2K thing before Y2K, and did absolutely nothing, nothing to prepare for it....nothing. And I thought everybody who was worried were fools and idiots, pure and simple. Where did I say it was only "Rs"! Please show me! When Bush was beating the Drums for Iraq about 80 percent of the population of the United States of Amnesia supported the war, does that sound like all R's to you. Do you actually believe that 80 percent of the population is Republican? If so you really are living in a dream world.

Me, I think it's more like about 38 to 40 percent maximum so the rest had to be others. You go ahead and make them all Republicans if you like. I could care less. I think you are the one who has a problem with labels, not me. You are constantly trying to claim that I am a Democrat or support Democrats, or that anything negative I say always alpplies to R's. Here's an example that shows you are wrong.
You replied with that Rs voted for him diatribe to a post about Y2K...

It wasn't hard to figure out what the subject was about there, Prakosh.

Care4all
09-15-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't just do cans. Also do preserves and dry goods. You must have some of those foods to keep healthy. Scurvy is not as far away as you might believe.

true! canned fruit can help, and i also have flour, yeast, sugar, salt, rice, couscous, pasta, jars of tomatoe sauces, canned meats and fish...lanturn oil, sterno cans, dried milk...keep the propane tank on the grill filled for the winter too...

and toilet paper!!!!! lol
---------------------------------------------:
and ihg...some people will not have the space to do such, as you....but if those of us that have the space do it, then the food they do confiscate from the grocery shelves will go alot farther!

care

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 10:01 AM
I have a 12VDC to 120VAC converter that will run my prob=pane furnace and a small briggs engine with an alternator to charge the battery for the inverter. Can keep warm for 24 hours on a couple gallons of gasoline to run the furnace and a couple of lights.
Also have a fireplace, some chickens and a few cows on a friends farm.....
Cistern for water...
Not comfy but can survive.

Immanuel
09-15-2006, 10:11 AM
I still want to know. If it is a "world-ending" catastrophe, why should I bother preparing for it?

Immie

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 10:21 AM
As I said before Immie, in that case assume the apoclypse postion. Head between knees and kiss ass goodbye.

Immanuel
09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
As I said before Immie, in that case assume the apoclypse postion. Head between knees and kiss ass goodbye.

Exactly, so why should I spend money preparing for it?

Immie

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 10:42 AM
You shouldn't immie, I just prepare for non catastropic events. Ie oil embargo, ice storm, etc....

Gaffer
09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
I live in the country myself. can walk out my door and go hunting.

A world ending catastrophy you would only survive for a short time anyway. Its just a matter of delaying the enevitable. A situation like Andrew or Katrina is more what you want to be prepared for as us and care both said. gun owners in the country don't have them just for hunting. City punks coming out here would get a hotlead welcome. And afterward whatever they are carrying would be added to our stores of supplies and arms.

The reason country folk will survive is because they won't sit around waiting for the government to come take care of them.

uscitizen
09-15-2006, 03:42 PM
The reason country folk will survive is because they won't sit around waiting for the government to come take care of them.
//

Got that right! And we don't like the city folks coming out here trying to make the country just like the city.

Cancel7
09-15-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe we should as GunsNChrist what he's doing :p

LOL

I'm doing him as a blog, and I had just finished writing as him when I wrote this Tiana. I think I was still a little in that voice, I can see it now.

Cancel7
09-15-2006, 03:49 PM

You remind me a lot of a ray of sunshine.

Prakosh
09-15-2006, 03:51 PM
You remind me a lot of a ray of sunshine.

That's me, Karl Rove, the ray of sunshine....

IHateGovernment
09-15-2006, 04:17 PM
Get a room guys!

Immanuel
09-15-2006, 08:10 PM
You shouldn't immie, I just prepare for non catastropic events. Ie oil embargo, ice storm, etc....

Ice storm in Florida! Damn!!! That will be the day. :)

Immie