PDA

View Full Version : Secret manuscript revealing Jesus’ teachings to his brother James re-writes The Bible

kudzu
05-06-2018, 04:58 AM
Secret manuscript revealing Jesus’ teachings to his brother James re-writes The Bible

A SECRET manuscript which claims to detail Jesus Christ’s teachings to his brother James has been unearthed

Fragments of the forgotten heretical document have been discovered at the University of Oxford library by Biblical scholars from the University of Texas at Austin.

The fragments come from 13 leather-bound vellum codices which had been buried in Egypt and found in 1945.

The documents detail the ‘First Apocalypse of James’ in which Jesus passes on knowledge of Heaven and future events to his brother, or possible step-brother, James, including the death of the younger sibling.

However, the documents were “forbidden” by early Christians as they would have had to have been added to the New Testament which was not permitted 1,600 years ago when the text was originally written Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, in his “Easter letter of 367” that defined the 27-book New Testament: “No one may add to them, and nothing may be taken away from them.”

The manuscript is from an early Christian form known as Gnosticism which still remains a mystery to researchers.

Study co-author Dr Geoffrey Smith, a scholar of Biblical Greek and Christian origins, said: “To say that we were excited once we realised what we had found is an understatement.

“We never suspected that Greek fragments of the First Apocalypse of James survived from antiquity. But there they were, right in front of us.

continued

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/887967/Jesus-Christ-brother-James-lost-manuscript-christianity-proof

kudzu
05-06-2018, 04:59 AM
“The text supplements the biblical account of Jesus’s life and ministry by allowing us access to conversations that purportedly took place between Jesus and James — secret teachings that allowed James to be a good teacher after Jesus’s death.”

Brent Landau, a lecturer in the UT Austin Department of Religious Studies, added: “The scribe has divided most of the text into syllables by using mid-dots. Such divisions are very uncommon in ancient manuscripts, but they do show up frequently in manuscripts that were used in educational contexts.”

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 06:34 AM
I thought you had denied being a gnostic.......

kudzu
05-06-2018, 06:40 AM
I thought you had denied being a gnostic.......

I'm not gnostic ..

1st Apocalypse of James - Early Christian Writings

www.earlychristianwritings.com › Gnostics

The manuscript names this writing The Apocalypse of James. We refer to it here as The (First) Apocalypse of James to distinguish it from the next writing (V, 4) which the manuscript also entitles The Apocalypse of James. Our apocalypse is an excellent example of a "revelation dialogue." The partners in the dialogue are the ...

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 06:44 AM
I'm not gnostic ..

but you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night....you aren't gnostic but you are posting gnostic theories?.....

kudzu
05-06-2018, 07:48 AM
but you stayed at a Holiday Inn last night....you aren't gnostic but you are posting gnostic theories?.....

I am posting news about an ancient document. You are truly stupid.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:05 PM
I am posting news about an ancient document. You are truly stupid.

/shrugs.....an ancient document of gnostic origin rejected thousands of years ago as fanciful and inaccurate.....this didn't even make it into the apocrypha.....

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:09 PM
your "secret" manuscript has been around since the 1940s......it's just that anyone interested in serious study ignores it......

kudzu
05-06-2018, 12:17 PM
/shrugs.....an ancient document of gnostic origin rejected thousands of years ago as fanciful and inaccurate.....this didn't even make it into the apocrypha.....

It most certainly is in the apocrypha.

kudzu
05-06-2018, 12:19 PM
your "secret" manuscript has been around since the 1940s......it's just that anyone interested in serious study ignores it......

So what .. its among many early Christian writings found at Nag Hammadi.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:31 PM
It most certainly is in the apocrypha.

not according to your source....
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com/gnostics.html

did you confuse it with the Secret Book of James?......this thread is about the First Apocalypse of James......different book.....

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:31 PM
So what .. its among many early Christian writings found at Nag Hammadi.

they may have found a gnostic shopping list too.......doesn't mean anyone gives it any theological weight.......

Fentoine Lum
05-06-2018, 12:32 PM
Wait a minute, Jesus had a brother and Mary never played with cocks?

Fentoine Lum
05-06-2018, 12:33 PM
they may have found a gnostic shopping list too.......doesn't mean anyone gives it any theological weight.......

That's what a top down power structure is for, to control all that.

kudzu
05-06-2018, 12:34 PM

Certainly no fundamentalist like yourself would give it any weight.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:36 PM
That's what a top down power structure is for, to control all that.

????....are you in the right thread?....

Fentoine Lum
05-06-2018, 12:37 PM
????....are you in the right thread?....

Organized religions don't have a power structure? Please.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Certainly no fundamentalist like yourself would give it any weight.

lol.....sorry.....not a fundamentalist......my denomination is historically considered "mainline"......find me a biblical scholar who claims the 1st Apocalypse of James is a theological text instead of some third century gnostic mind wanderings......

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:38 PM
Organized religions don't have a power structure? Please.

list me the "power structure" of Christianity in the year 2018.....if you are talking about the biblical canon, that was decided by a counsel of representatives from Christian churches all over the world........that would be a bottom up structure.......

Fentoine Lum
05-06-2018, 12:45 PM
list me the "power structure" of Christianity in the year 2018.....if you are talking about the biblical canon, that was decided by a counsel of representatives from Christian churches all over the world........that would be a bottom up structure.......

Look, the Roman Catholic Church was the world's first transnational corporation, it even called in Papal Bulls of the 1500s for the cleansing of the North American continent. No one said there is a president of christianity.

Leonthecat
05-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Secret manuscript revealing Jesus’ teachings to his brother James re-writes The Bible

A SECRET manuscript which claims to detail Jesus Christ’s teachings to his brother James has been unearthed

Fragments of the forgotten heretical document have been discovered at the University of Oxford library by Biblical scholars from the University of Texas at Austin.

The fragments come from 13 leather-bound vellum codices which had been buried in Egypt and found in 1945.

The documents detail the ‘First Apocalypse of James’ in which Jesus passes on knowledge of Heaven and future events to his brother, or possible step-brother, James, including the death of the younger sibling.

However, the documents were “forbidden” by early Christians as they would have had to have been added to the New Testament which was not permitted 1,600 years ago when the text was originally written Athanasius, Bishop of Alexandria, in his “Easter letter of 367” that defined the 27-book New Testament: “No one may add to them, and nothing may be taken away from them.”

The manuscript is from an early Christian form known as Gnosticism which still remains a mystery to researchers.

Study co-author Dr Geoffrey Smith, a scholar of Biblical Greek and Christian origins, said: “To say that we were excited once we realised what we had found is an understatement.

“We never suspected that Greek fragments of the First Apocalypse of James survived from antiquity. But there they were, right in front of us.

continued

https://www.express.co.uk/news/science/887967/Jesus-Christ-brother-James-lost-manuscript-christianity-proof

I thought his brother's name was Brian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoaktW-Lu38

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:50 PM
Look, the Roman Catholic Church

sorry....not my power structure.....find some facts before you post, next time......

Fentoine Lum
05-06-2018, 12:52 PM
sorry....not my power structure.....find some facts before you post, next time......

Yeah, you'd better run.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Yeah, you'd better run.

???....from who?.....the Pope?......

Leonthecat
05-06-2018, 12:56 PM
PP thinks he will live forever. He don't need no stinkin' Pope.

Fentoine Lum
05-06-2018, 12:56 PM
???....from who?.....the Pope?......

If you can't recall your own discussions I can't help you.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 12:58 PM
If you can't recall your own discussions I can't help you.

nobody thought you could in the first place......

Fentoine Lum
05-06-2018, 01:00 PM
nobody thought you could in the first place......

You're clearly looking for some though, and you're right, you need a professional.

PostmodernProphet
05-06-2018, 01:03 PM
sorry son, but your posts are just too vague.....not even sure what you are arguing with.....are you just pro-gnostic or do you have some vested interest in the 1st apocalypse of James........

domer76
05-06-2018, 08:08 PM
lol.....sorry.....not a fundamentalist......my denomination is historically considered "mainline"......find me a biblical scholar who claims the 1st Apocalypse of James is a theological text instead of some third century gnostic mind wanderings......

Not a fundamentalist, yet says (referencing the Bible)::

"what it states, happened....."