PDA

View Full Version : Tracing the origins of the Serpent Cult

kudzu
04-15-2018, 07:02 AM
Tracing the origins of the Serpent Cult

In mythology, the serpent symbolises fertility and procreation, wisdom, death, and resurrection (due to the shedding of its skin, which is not akin to rebirth), and in the earliest schools of mysticism, the symbol of ‘The Word’ was the serpent.

The ‘light’ that appeared was metaphorically defined as a serpent called ‘Kundalini’, coiled at the base of the spine to remain dormant in an unawakened person. Divinity or awakening one’s Godhood and latent abilities came with the rituals and teachings brought by the serpent people.

To understand them, we must look at the original ‘serpents’. In China, it was a male and female pair with human heads and serpent bodies named Fu Xi and Nu Wa who created humans. In Sumer, it was the Annunaki Nin-Khursag and her husband Enki who were given the task of creating workers.

Enki is known to us as the serpent in Genesis—the one who gave us the ability to think and reason and so was cursed by his brother Enlil for it. To the Hindus, it was the cosmic serpent Ananta who created us. So, if, at the dawn of man’s creation we have a pair of serpent-like beings who created us, then those of the serpent cult must have been their direct descendants, either by blood or by spirit.

The next serpent was Enki’s son Ningizzidda, known to the Sumerians, Egyptians and Tibetans. According to Zecharia Sitchin, he dwelt in Magan, or what is known to us as Egypt, leading theorists to believe he was Thoth who formed a mystery school propagating ideas of self-improvement and enlightenment, furthering his father’s deeds and philosophy. If Enki and Ningizzidda ruled over Magan as is claimed, then that school would have been a beacon attracting all who wished to gain knowledge, backed by the power and might of Magan.

Is there any other proof to that theory?

It was claimed at the Council of Nicea that ‘the powers of gods came from Egypt’. There was a Great White Brotherhood (named for their raiment), a prominent mystery school in Karnak. A branch of it became the Egyptian Therapeutate who in Judea were known as the Essenes. Jesus, being an Essene, most likely was initiated in Egypt at this mystery school, rising up the levels until he became a ‘Master’.

continued

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/tracing-origins-serpent-cult-002393

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 07:24 AM
Interesting. Here the first people have a serpent-like mythical figure called either Water Panther or Great Serpent (Mishibizhiw), who lives out in Kichi-Gami (Lake Superior). He will pull ppl to their deaths if the proper offerings are not made before going out on the water. When you hear thunder, that is Nimikii (Thunder Bird) coming to throw lightning at Mishibizhiw, to keep him in check. Otherwise he will use water to destroy everything. Nimikii keeps the balance.

Irish Exit
04-15-2018, 07:27 AM
Interesting. Here the first people have a serpent-like mythical figure called either Water Panther or Great Serpent (Mishibizhiw), who lives out in Kichi-Gami (Lake Superior). He will pull ppl to their deaths if the proper offerings are not made before going out on the water. When you hear thunder, that is Nimikii (Thunder Bird) coming to throw lightning at Mishibizhiw, to keep him in check. Otherwise he will use water to destroy everything. Nimikii keeps the balance.

Is the proper offering pouring in the first beer out of the cooler?

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 07:30 AM
Is the proper offering pouring in the first beer out of the cooler?

LOL. Sounds wise, otherwise he'll take the whole cooler, and you too.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 07:33 AM

Fascinating... I didn't know anything about that..

When you read up on these myths one thing is certain.. Snake cults existed long before Genesis and existed in Egypt, the Levant, Mesopotamia, the Arabian peninsula and the Indus Valley..

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 07:43 AM
Fascinating... I didn't know anything about that..

When you read up on these myths one thing is certain.. Snake cults existed long before Genesis and existed in Egypt, the Levant, Mesopotamia, the Arabian peninsula and the Indus Valley..

Love learning about this stuff. I still haven't picked my minor yet; was leaning towards biology since I have a slew of credits already in that discipline. But more and more anthropology is beckoning.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 07:45 AM
Love learning about this stuff. I still haven't picked my minor yet; was leaning towards biology since I have a slew of credits already in that discipline. But more and more anthropology is beckoning.

You're a student? I thought you were much older.. You have a remarkable curiosity..

Irish Exit
04-15-2018, 07:46 AM
LOL. Sounds wise, otherwise he'll take the whole cooler, and you too.

A burnt offering might be offensive to a water creature, people need to plan ahead for these things.

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 07:52 AM
A burnt offering might be offensive to a water creature, people need to plan ahead for these things.

Ahsema (tobacco) is traditionally used as an offering. Hunters and foragers also place some in the forest before heading out. Heh, one of my instructors told us about the time she took her scuba diving certification test. She had a panic attack once she got underwater because she realized that she had forgotten to give an offering ahead of time. Thankfully he was busy elsewhere and she made it out okay. And passed too!

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 07:55 AM
You're a student? I thought you were much older.. You have a remarkable curiosity..

Why thanks. I am much older; I'm attending NMU for a BS in Native American Studies. I'm a retired nurse. My husband is also going to start classes this fall; he is going to major in physics and minor in math. That was his first love. However, he went into engineering because he figured (probably correctly) that other than govt. jobs there wasn't a huge job market for physics majors back then, unless you got a PhD. He may do that eventually! He has a BS in engineering and a Masters in economics/finance, worked his entire career in IT.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 07:57 AM
Why thanks. I am much older; I'm attending NMU for a BS in Native American Studies. I'm a retired nurse. My husband is also going to start classes this fall; he is going to major in physics and minor in math. That was his first love. However, he went into engineering because he figured (probably correctly) that other than govt. jobs there wasn't a huge job market for physics majors back then, unless you got a PhD. He may do that eventually! He has a BS in engineering and a Masters in economics/finance, worked his entire career in IT.

I'm impressed.. Good for you and your husband.

Irish Exit
04-15-2018, 08:03 AM
Ahsema (tobacco) is traditionally used as an offering. Hunters and foragers also place some in the forest before heading out. Heh, one of my instructors told us about the time she took her scuba diving certification test. She had a panic attack once she got underwater because she realized that she had forgotten to give an offering ahead of time. Thankfully he was busy elsewhere and she made it out okay. And passed too!

Hummmm not sure I would want to make a burnt offering to a forest I was about to enter. Never know when those winds might kick up and spread an ember or two.

Cypress
04-15-2018, 08:40 AM

My two cents: Is there anything more rewarding than the adventure and pursuit of knowledge? Keep up the good work!

If any high school kid ever wants my opinion, it is to do what you like, study what interests you, pursue your dreams, and don't worry about the job market.

If there really is a thing like reincarnation, I already have my next six professional careers mapped out: historian, oceanographer, philosopher, astronomer, archeologist, and art historian.

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 10:07 AM
Hummmm not sure I would want to make a burnt offering to a forest I was about to enter. Never know when those winds might kick up and spread an ember or two.

The tobacco is not burnt; it's offered whole.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 10:31 AM
What has interested me is the prevalence of preexisting snake cults all over the ME, North Africa and the Indus Valley .. and along come the Hebrews and they cast Satan as a snake.. Its like dueling religions.

Leonthecat
04-15-2018, 10:38 AM
https://psmag.com/.image/t_share/MTI3NTgyNTcwNDYzNTMzNTM0/hamblin-snake-1.jpg

https://r.hswstatic.com/w_907/gif/podcasts/stuffyoushouldknow-podcasts-wp-content-uploads-sites-16-2016-05-snake_handlers_600x350.jpg
American religious nutjobs handling their snakes in church.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 10:40 AM
https://r.hswstatic.com/w_907/gif/podcasts/stuffyoushouldknow-podcasts-wp-content-uploads-sites-16-2016-05-snake_handlers_600x350.jpg

That give me nightmares.. How could people be so stupid?

Leonthecat
04-15-2018, 10:41 AM

Kentucky.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 10:43 AM
Kentucky.

They used to have some snake handlers in Alabama and TN as well..

Leonthecat
04-15-2018, 10:48 AM
They used to have some snake handlers in Alabama and TN as well..

Same disease of the mind.
It's called Pentecostalism.

The insanity seems to run in families throughout the south.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 10:54 AM
Same disease of the mind.
It's called Pentecostalism.

The insanity seems to run in families throughout the south.

Well. Its horrible.. Remember the snakes involved in the stories of Moses and the Exodus?

Leonthecat
04-15-2018, 11:00 AM
Well. Its horrible.. Remember the snakes involved in the stories of Moses and the Exodus?

Pentecostals speak in tongues and drink poison during church services too.
It's a special kind of religious insanity.
The southern United States is riddled with it.

kudzu
04-15-2018, 11:01 AM
Pentecostals speak in tongues and drink poison during church services too.
It's a special kind of religious insanity.
The southern United States is riddled with it.

Its male dominated, isn't it?.... and eat up with incest the way most closed systems are.

Leonthecat
04-15-2018, 11:03 AM
Its male dominated, isn't it?.... and eat up with incest the way most closed systems are.

It's all part of the insanity that is religion, that plagues the world.

Irish Exit
04-15-2018, 02:08 PM
The tobacco is not burnt; it's offered whole.

That doesn't seem proper to me. What if boyscouts come through, find it, and smoke it? You could be hit with a misdemeanor for buying tobacco for minors. Definitely bad joujou if you don't burn or kill something and there isn't a virgin and a volcano handy.

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 03:48 PM
That doesn't seem proper to me. What if boyscouts come through, find it, and smoke it? You could be hit with a misdemeanor for buying tobacco for minors. Definitely bad joujou if you don't burn or kill something and there isn't a virgin and a volcano handy.

Well, one of my other instructors brings sunflower seeds and gives those as an offering instead. I don't know if they are salted or not. Don't want to give Ajidamoo (Squirrel) hypertension.

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 03:48 PM

Poor snakes.

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 03:55 PM
What has interested me is the prevalence of preexisting snake cults all over the ME, North Africa and the Indus Valley .. and along come the Hebrews and they cast Satan as a snake.. Its like dueling religions.

All part of downgrading the other guys' beliefs in preparation for instilling your own. Christianity did the same thing as it spread throughout Europe. Pagans were devil-worshipers and witches; their deities were transformed into evil horned things. But since they (the Xtians) couldn't kill everyone, they incorporated many pagan ceremonies and celebrations into their own in order to convert them.

Mason Michaels
04-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Poor snakes.

I spent a night with a snake handler at Best Western.

Irish Exit
04-15-2018, 04:25 PM
Well, one of my other instructors brings sunflower seeds and gives those as an offering instead. I don't know if they are salted or not. Don't want to give Ajidamoo (Squirrel) hypertension.

We just had a tornado blow past us so maybe I need to be scattering some tobacco, sunflower seeds, beer, weed, and anything else.

Guno צְבִי
04-15-2018, 04:39 PM
https://psmag.com/.image/t_share/MTI3NTgyNTcwNDYzNTMzNTM0/hamblin-snake-1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl_8r7WG3g4

kudzu
04-15-2018, 04:49 PM
All part of downgrading the other guys' beliefs in preparation for instilling your own. Christianity did the same thing as it spread throughout Europe.

Pagans were devil-worshipers and witches; their deities were transformed into evil horned things. But since they (the Xtians) couldn't kill everyone, they incorporated many pagan ceremonies and celebrations into their own in order to convert them.

Exactly... you got it instantly. Too many people simply don't.

I am having a wonderful evening... I sold three paintings this afternoon! Hurray.

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 06:48 PM
We just had a tornado blow past us so maybe I need to be scattering some tobacco, sunflower seeds, beer, weed, and anything else.

Good grief, you guys okay??

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 06:50 PM
Exactly... you got it instantly. Too many people simply don't.

I am having a wonderful evening... I sold three paintings this afternoon! Hurray.

That's awesome! I didn't know you are an artist! What media do you use, what's your subject matter? Were you at a gallery or art show? Can you post a pic of one of your works?

Irish Exit
04-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Good grief, you guys okay??

We are and my family is all checked in ok. Haven't heard much in terms of damage reports yet. Some ripped off roofs and anecdotal stuff. News here is slow in weekends, plus still raining. Our tornados are not particularly bad when they do come comparatively speaking. Just rain-wrapped intense fast moving storm cells more than cars and cows flying. Topography helps mitigate tornado intensity in my area--they either have to smack into hillsides or rise over them which helps break them apart fairly quick.

ThatOwlWoman
04-15-2018, 07:25 PM
We are and my family is all checked in ok. Haven't heard much in terms of damage reports yet. Some ripped off roofs and anecdotal stuff. News here is slow in weekends, plus still raining. Our tornados are not particularly bad when they do come comparatively speaking. Just rain-wrapped intense fast moving storm cells more than cars and cows flying. Topography helps mitigate tornado intensity in my area--they either have to smack into hillsides or rise over them which helps break them apart fairly quick.

That's good. Yikes. We've had gale force winds now since shortly after midnight Friday. The snow began this morning so we've had 13+ hours now of heavy snow, gales, and non-stop NOISE. Impressive drifts out there! Not expected to end till either tomorrow night or maybe July. Are you over in that east coast area getting smacked with severe weather?

USFREEDOM911
04-16-2018, 12:44 AM
Tracing the origins of the Serpent Cult

In mythology, the serpent symbolises fertility and procreation, wisdom, death, and resurrection (due to the shedding of its skin, which is not akin to rebirth), and in the earliest schools of mysticism, the symbol of ‘The Word’ was the serpent.

The ‘light’ that appeared was metaphorically defined as a serpent called ‘Kundalini’, coiled at the base of the spine to remain dormant in an unawakened person. Divinity or awakening one’s Godhood and latent abilities came with the rituals and teachings brought by the serpent people.

To understand them, we must look at the original ‘serpents’. In China, it was a male and female pair with human heads and serpent bodies named Fu Xi and Nu Wa who created humans. In Sumer, it was the Annunaki Nin-Khursag and her husband Enki who were given the task of creating workers.

Enki is known to us as the serpent in Genesis—the one who gave us the ability to think and reason and so was cursed by his brother Enlil for it. To the Hindus, it was the cosmic serpent Ananta who created us. So, if, at the dawn of man’s creation we have a pair of serpent-like beings who created us, then those of the serpent cult must have been their direct descendants, either by blood or by spirit.

The next serpent was Enki’s son Ningizzidda, known to the Sumerians, Egyptians and Tibetans. According to Zecharia Sitchin, he dwelt in Magan, or what is known to us as Egypt, leading theorists to believe he was Thoth who formed a mystery school propagating ideas of self-improvement and enlightenment, furthering his father’s deeds and philosophy. If Enki and Ningizzidda ruled over Magan as is claimed, then that school would have been a beacon attracting all who wished to gain knowledge, backed by the power and might of Magan.

Is there any other proof to that theory?

It was claimed at the Council of Nicea that ‘the powers of gods came from Egypt’. There was a Great White Brotherhood (named for their raiment), a prominent mystery school in Karnak. A branch of it became the Egyptian Therapeutate who in Judea were known as the Essenes. Jesus, being an Essene, most likely was initiated in Egypt at this mystery school, rising up the levels until he became a ‘Master’.

continued

http://www.ancient-origins.net/myths-legends/tracing-origins-serpent-cult-002393

https://mythicscribes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/snake-symbol-300x168.jpg

Irish Exit
04-16-2018, 05:58 AM
That's good. Yikes. We've had gale force winds now since shortly after midnight Friday. The snow began this morning so we've had 13+ hours now of heavy snow, gales, and non-stop NOISE. Impressive drifts out there! Not expected to end till either tomorrow night or maybe July. Are you over in that east coast area getting smacked with severe weather?

Yes. So far sounds like a lot of damage, mostly from fallen trees and limbs but no reports of serious injury or deaths in our area. A few houses reported destroyed by large trees coming through them. Went out last night for a quick store run. One end of my neighborhood was blocked by down lines, and the police had cars sitting in road ways with lights on and the spotlights lighting up some areas where there was street flooding to warn people to slow down before they hit the great lakes that had formed in the low spots. The temps on the backside of the front were 20 degrees below what they were before it hit us which explains a lot of the turbulence in the atmosphere.

ThatOwlWoman
04-16-2018, 06:28 AM
Yes. So far sounds like a lot of damage, mostly from fallen trees and limbs but no reports of serious injury or deaths in our area. A few houses reported destroyed by large trees coming through them. Went out last night for a quick store run. One end of my neighborhood was blocked by down lines, and the police had cars sitting in road ways with lights on and the spotlights lighting up some areas where there was street flooding to warn people to slow down before they hit the great lakes that had formed in the low spots. The temps on the backside of the front were 20 degrees below what they were before it hit us which explains a lot of the turbulence in the atmosphere.

That's way too close. Stay safe down there.

Irish Exit
04-16-2018, 06:44 AM
That's way too close. Stay safe down there.

Thanks, but isn't like there is anything you can do about it. Storms happen. These storms are the reason I had every tree that could possibly fall on my house either topped or removed before I even moved in. My neighbors who just moved here from another state were freaking out once their cell phones went into emergency alert mode with a tornado. Told them there was no need to worry because the ridge lines push tornadoes off to the west of us and sure enough that is what happened.

ThatOwlWoman
04-16-2018, 06:54 AM
Thanks, but isn't like there is anything you can do about it. Storms happen. These storms are the reason I had every tree that could possibly fall on my house either topped or removed before I even moved in. My neighbors who just moved here from another state were freaking out once their cell phones went into emergency alert mode with a tornado. Told them there was no need to worry because the ridge lines push tornadoes off to the west of us and sure enough that is what happened.

Saved by geography, how cool is that? Thankfully twisters aren't a thing much up here in the Frozen North. We sure had plenty of them when we lived in STL though.

kudzu
04-16-2018, 06:58 AM
That's awesome! I didn't know you are an artist! What media do you use, what's your subject matter? Were you at a gallery or art show? Can you post a pic of one of your works?

I work in Acrylics and Ink.. I paint light houses, sea scapes, elephants, cottages, jazz muscians and naked women. I am still not sure my work is good.

It was a show... We will be having another at the YMCA here to raise money for kid's lunches.

I painted as a student and hadn't done anything in decades.. I consider myself an amateur.

ThatOwlWoman
04-16-2018, 07:02 AM
I work in Acrylics and Ink.. I paint light houses, sea scapes, elephants, cottages, jazz muscians and naked women. I am still not sure my work is good.
It was a show... We will be having another at the YMCA here to raise money for kid's lunches.
I painted as a student and hadn't done anything in decades.. I consider myself an amateur.

Would love to see some of your work! Maybe via PM if you're shy. ;~)

Irish Exit
04-16-2018, 07:05 AM
Saved by geography, how cool is that? Thankfully twisters aren't a thing much up here in the Frozen North. We sure had plenty of them when we lived in STL though.

It is comforting since that is the prevailing weather pattern. When a storm comes in from the east or north I freak out because those only happen when it is particularly violent and nasty and because there is no ridge line to protect us from them LOL. Usually only happens when hurricanes or their remnants are pushing inland from a Mid Atlantic landfall.

Gotcha68
04-17-2018, 05:01 PM

One of my favorite classes was anthropology which was taught by a world wide famous instructor. He retired shortly after that semester was completed so I count myself lucky I was able to experience his story telling of his adventures.

LadyMoonlight
04-17-2018, 05:18 PM
My two cents: Is there anything more rewarding than the adventure and pursuit of knowledge? Keep up the good work!

If any high school kid ever wants my opinion, it is to do what you like, study what interests you, pursue your dreams, and don't worry about the job market.

If there really is a thing like reincarnation, I already have my next six professional careers mapped out: historian, oceanographer, philosopher, astronomer, archeologist, and art historian.

I have been a reincarnationist for over 50 years and I have also picked what I want to do next. Either an astronaut (I would love to go into space or another planet in this life too), or a forensic archaeologist...reconstructing the faces based on the skeleton of people from antiquity just fascinates me. What cool jobs they would be. This is pretty much a rest life for me this time around. I haven't really done anything, or gone anywhere or even really lived life yet (I am 65). The average teenager has lived more life than I have. But, next round...boy, do I plan to LIVE LIFE!

Cancel 2019.1
04-17-2018, 06:02 PM
I have been a reincarnationist for over 50 years and I have also picked what I want to do next. Either an astronaut (I would love to go into space or another planet in this life too), or a forensic archaeologist...reconstructing the faces based on the skeleton of people from antiquity just fascinates me. What cool jobs they would be. This is pretty much a rest life for me this time around. I haven't really done anything, or gone anywhere or even really lived life yet (I am 65). The average teenager has lived more life than I have. But, next round...boy, do I plan to LIVE LIFE!

I knew at 8 years old,I had been in the German Air Force in WW1.
Already have my wife picked out for next time.Lord willing.

ThatOwlWoman
04-17-2018, 06:07 PM
One of my favorite classes was anthropology which was taught by a world wide famous instructor. He retired shortly after that semester was completed so I count myself lucky I was able to experience his story telling of his adventures.

How cool. What did you like about the subject?

Gotcha68
04-18-2018, 03:38 AM
How cool. What did you like about the subject?

As an atheist I was interested in creation stories from various cultures and tribes. The gods they created and believed in were similar across the board no matter how primitive they may have been. It merely enforced the presumption that we, as humans, need something to cling to and give credit/blame in order to find purpose/reasons for everything.

It was fascinating.

ThatOwlWoman
04-18-2018, 06:32 AM
As an atheist I was interested in creation stories from various cultures and tribes. The gods they created and believed in were similar across the board no matter how primitive they may have been. It merely enforced the presumption that we, as humans, need something to cling to and give credit/blame in order to find purpose/reasons for everything.
It was fascinating.

That fascinates me as well.