PDA

View Full Version : Sword of my mouth

kudzu
04-04-2018, 10:04 AM
Revelation 2:16 ...to understand this verse we need to look at verses 14-16. The Doctrine of Balaam was a compromise of Christianity with paganism resulting in idolatry and immorality. (Balaam taught Balak to put an enticement before the Israelites to get them to sin, eat things sacrificed to idols and commit fornication v.14.). Balaam succeeded in leading many Israelites into these sins (Numbers 31:16; 2 Peter 2:15; Jude 11).

In Isaiah 11:2-5, Isaiah spoke of the Spirit of the Lord which refers to the sevenfold Spirit of God (Rev 4:5) He further said that the Messiah will not judge after the sight of His eyes, for He will have true spiritual vision and judge the poor with righteousness. He will rule the earth with the "ROD (Scepter) of His Mouth", the power of His spoken word, by which He will slay the wicked with His "Breath"

Rev 19:15, "And out of His mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it He will smite the nations..........." The ROD or Sword of His mouth depicts judgement through His spoken word.

The Church is urged to repent of the toleration and sins of false teachers like Balaam, before Jesus has to judge them Himself. The church should therefore, discipline it self, research the Bible for themselves and do not tolerate false teaching and immorality within.

Also..

Hebrews 4:12- 13 "For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart. And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are open and laid bare to the eyes of Him to Whom we must give account."

Also, in Revelation 1:16, when John experienced his initial sight of the glorified Christ, he said, "In his right hand he held seven stars, and coming out of his mouth was a sharp, double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance."

In my opinion, the imagery of a double-edged sword coming out of the mouth of Jesus (whom John in his Gospel had called "the Word" (John 1:1)) was used in a figurative sense to portray the manner in which God planned to use the power of His word to separate, or cut out, and judge the false teachings or practices that some of the seven churches that received messages from God (including the church at Pergamum specifically in Revelation 2:12-17) were tolerating and allowing to lead their members astray.

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2013/20130523.htm

evince
04-04-2018, 10:18 AM
why not just try to understand what jesus wanted mankind to look like

compassion for all other living things and shunning selfishness

trying to reinterpret the creative writings of people who lived in a far different culture literally will always lead you astray

kudzu
04-04-2018, 10:20 AM
why not just try to understand what jesus wanted mankind to look like

compassion for all other living things and shunning selfishness

trying to reinterpret the creative writings of people who lived in a far different culture literally will always lead you astray

Most Christians don't know that the "sword" is just truth.. not a weapon of war.

evince
04-04-2018, 10:39 AM
kinda my point

Jesus was one of the worlds greatest philosophers

me as an atheist I LOVE his teachings

I wish more people would listen to his messages of love and kindness

kudzu
04-04-2018, 10:51 AM
And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more. (Isaiah 2:4).

700 BC

kudzu
04-20-2018, 06:26 AM
This makes the case for the "sword" being truth.

dexter
04-21-2018, 10:53 AM
[QUOTE=kudzu;2301111]Revelation 2:16 ...to understand this verse we need to look at verses 14-16. The Doctrine of Balaam was a compromise of Christianity with paganism resulting in idolatry and immorality. (Balaam taught Balak to put an enticement before the Israelites to get them to sin, eat things sacrificed to idols and commit fornication v.14.). Balaam succeeded in leading many Israelites into these sins (Numbers 31:16; 2 Peter 2:15; Jude 11).

In Isaiah 11:2-5, Isaiah spoke of the Spirit of the Lord which refers to the sevenfold Spirit of God (Rev 4:5) He further said that the Messiah will not judge after the sight of His eyes, for He will have true spiritual vision and judge the poor with righteousness. He will rule the earth with the "ROD (Scepter) of His Mouth", the power of His spoken word, by which He will slay the wicked with His "Breath"

Numbers 22

2And Balak the son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites. 3And Moab was sore afraid of the people, because they were many: and Moab was distressed because of the children of Israel. 4And Moab said unto the elders of Midian, Now shall this company lick up all that are round about us, as the ox licketh up the grass of the field. And Balak the son of Zippor was king of the Moabites at that time. 5He sent messengers therefore unto Balaam the son of Beor to Pethor, which is by the river of the land of the children of his people, to call him, saying, Behold, there is a people come out from Egypt: behold, they cover the face of the earth, and they abide over against me: 6Come now therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people; for they are too mighty for me:

7And the elders of Moab and the elders of Midian departed with the rewards of divination in their hand; and they came unto Balaam, and spake unto him the words of Balak. 8And he said unto them, Lodge here this night, and I will bring you word again, as the LORD shall speak unto me: and the princes of Moab abode with Balaam. 9And God came unto Balaam, and said, What men are these with thee? 10And Balaam said unto God, Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, hath sent unto me, saying, 11Behold, there is a people come out of Egypt, which covereth the face of the earth: come now, curse me them; peradventure I shall be able to overcome them, and drive them out.

12And God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed. 13And Balaam rose up in the morning, and said unto the princes of Balak, Get you into your land: for the LORD refuseth to give me leave to go with you. 14And the princes of Moab rose up, and they went unto Balak, and said, Balaam refuseth to come with us."

kudzu
04-21-2018, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=kudzu;2301111]Revelation 2:16 ...to understand this verse we need to look at verses 14-16. The Doctrine of Balaam was a compromise of Christianity with paganism resulting in idolatry and immorality. (Balaam taught Balak to put an enticement before the Israelites to get them to sin, eat things sacrificed to idols and commit fornication v.14.). Balaam succeeded in leading many Israelites into these sins (Numbers 31:16; 2 Peter 2:15; Jude 11).

Numbers 22

2And Balak the son of Zippor saw all that Israel had done to the Amorites. 3And Moab was sore afraid of the people, because they were many: and Moab was distressed because of the children of Israel. 4And Moab said unto the elders of Midian, Now shall this company lick up all that are round about us, as the ox licketh up the grass of the field. And Balak the son of Zippor was king of the Moabites at that time. 5He sent messengers therefore unto Balaam the son of Beor to Pethor, which is by the river of the land of the children of his people, to call him, saying, Behold, there is a people come out from Egypt: behold, they cover the face of the earth, and they abide over against me: 6Come now therefore, I pray thee, curse me this people; for they are too mighty for me:

7And the elders of Moab and the elders of Midian departed with the rewards of divination in their hand; and they came unto Balaam, and spake unto him the words of Balak. 8And he said unto them, Lodge here this night, and I will bring you word again, as the LORD shall speak unto me: and the princes of Moab abode with Balaam. 9And God came unto Balaam, and said, What men are these with thee? 10And Balaam said unto God, Balak the son of Zippor, king of Moab, hath sent unto me, saying, 11Behold, there is a people come out of Egypt, which covereth the face of the earth: come now, curse me them; peradventure I shall be able to overcome them, and drive them out.

12And God said unto Balaam, Thou shalt not go with them; thou shalt not curse the people: for they are blessed. 13And Balaam rose up in the morning, and said unto the princes of Balak, Get you into your land: for the LORD refuseth to give me leave to go with you. 14And the princes of Moab rose up, and they went unto Balak, and said, Balaam refuseth to come with us."

Isiaih was about 700 BC, wasn't he?